• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I can't request a cap raise if we aren't close to reaching the cap. We're at 85 right now. To put things in perspective, PM registration overflowed several times and has ALREADY CAPPED at the final number of 256 or so. Get on their level, guys.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
There's even more players, myself included, who want to enter PM. I fully intended on playing PM, but haven't had money, and won't be able to register for any games until Friday.

Would really be nice if it were raised again.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Everyone - PM me if you are interested in commentating SSB64. This isn't just top-8 btw. This is for throughout the tournament. Also, a very brief blurb about why you want to commentate and a commentary sample (if available on youtube) would be helpful.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i'm interested in doing commentary but only if i have solo or jimmyjoe next to me...THAT IS MY CONDITION AND I HOPE ONE OF THEM ACCEPTS IT

also mike right now the issue isn't really the cap raise. it's the thing you said ya'll didn't agree on. on facebook. the entire bracket pool sitch and setups issue.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Everyone - PM me if you are interested in commentating SSB64. This isn't just top-8 btw. This is for throughout the tournament. Also, a very brief blurb about why you want to commentate and a commentary sample (if available on youtube) would be helpful.
I want to commentate because **** you thats why

mixa

Banned via Warnings
tips for commentary in three parts:

1. don't put melee people. ever. I'd rather have battlecow scream 'piranha plant!' on a loop than hear some melee dude asking how to shine cancel while amazing **** is going down. no james chens.

2. if pika dittos, put jerry. if unsure, put boomfan. if cute couple gentlemans to hyrule, take that time to tell the stream about the weather, previous smashfests with the japanese, how australians are behaving, etc

3. record commentary

asianaussie

Smash Hero
nah, just tell them tales of everyday life in australia, like the irritating bowie knife tax (it's gone up ever since the recent python epidemic on public transport), and the worrying disappearance of WA's drop bears (they probably swam up to invade india)

or just make them laugh with how ****ing ******** abbott is

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Any news on the potential for PM cap being raised? I've invested far too much time in to PM to not be able to compete.

Annex

Smash Ace
My input to people that want to commentate:
Say things that the average viewer wouldn't know. I've watched a ton of matches where the commentators just give the play-by-play of exactly what's happening like they're narrating for a ****ing radio show or something. It fills up the air, yeah, but it doesn't add anything.
Stuff like a background on the players, their preferred play style, advanced techs they pull off, why the players are doing what they're doing, and the metagame of that specific matchup is much more interesting and engaging. Well, to me anyway.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Or you could always go the hype route. I like the overzealous scientific guy + random hype man as the secondary commentator.

Shears

Smash Master
Say things that the average viewer wouldn't know. I've watched a ton of matches where the commentators just give the play-by-play of exactly what's happening like they're narrating for a ****ing radio show or something. It fills up the air, yeah, but it doesn't add anything.
Stuff like a background on the players, their preferred play style, advanced techs they pull off, why the players are doing what they're doing, and the metagame of that specific matchup is much more interesting and engaging. Well, to me anyway.

Why not have both? In a sports broadcast they have two commentators (sometimes 3), where one is basically a play-by-play announcer that might ask a question, and the other is a color commentator that discusses the players, situations, strategies, and hype of the game. Think of Ernie Johnson and Chris Webber for primetime NBA games (I was thinking of using Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden, but I absolutely hate Jon Gruden's tv personality).

Sedda

Smash Champion
backstory is a big nope to me in smash. So many melee sets are ruined for me because of that. They spend 10 second talking about some set years ago while amazing **** is going on. It's great in between games, but most of it should be what's underneath of what's shown.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Backstory is good. Then again, the commentators have to be organized and informed about it, which never seems to be the case.

I don't know how tournaments go, but I don't get why the commentators seem to live in a bubble. Can't the TO print the damn bracket and so they know what's going on? Not counting all the time wasted figuring out who's the blue hat Pika.

Backstory optimally should emerge before the match begins. In between games is good too -- better than the speculation “who'd you think he'll counterpick?”
And as for the past-results part of the backstory, I compiled detailed results of several tournaments, so the information is out there. It depends on how serious commentators want to be about it.

And I approve of Battlecow on the mic.

Sedda

Smash Champion
When are you guys going to run your own 64 major tournament? There was so much hype for that earlier this year, and then it just fused into Zenith as another side tournament.

I mean, Zenith was a good tournament. 40+ entrants, but if you want a 64 tournament with rr pools, then organize one for the summer of next year or something. Make it really good, have a pot bonus or something, invite everyone, call out those filthy peruvians... Apex RR pools would be great, but they just don't care.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
Please make interviews about the players. How they got into smash and something like that would be sweet. Getting more information about the japanese smash scene would be great. Maybe they know more things about the controllstick and techniques to repair controllers.

Annex

Smash Ace
Oh, so I'm signed up under the name "Chunk".
I don't remember doing that at all, but it's under my email for the only event I'm interested in and with a name that I guess I might have chosen when I was drunk or something.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Man that answer sucked. And he even wrote it in mini super red lettering just to be EVEN MORE annoying.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
nintendude on facebook: "this isn't what I thought staff agreed on and I agree this is pretty lame. I have to talk it over with them...I was pretty sure it'd be 1pm on Sunday for finals which is great unlike 10am Saturday. the final bracket I also thought would be 32 or at the very l least 16"

well, i guess he got overruled. did they really say one thing to appease us then turn around and do whatever anyway? was there even any fight for the original agreement?

edit: i made another post (http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-want-round-robin-pools.343221/#post-16096723). i won't be responding anymore because ****'s apparently falling on deaf ears. ideally, more people will respond and give us more credibility.

Top Bottom