• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

Shears

Smash Master
My understanding with the organization of Apex, is that 64 will have its own room and it will not be shared with the other games. Is this correct? If so, can we all just agree to show up early and start doing round robin pools. I understand all the arguments everyone is trying to have with the Apex staff, but why is anyone even arguing? Lets just ****ing do round robin pools. Some clown that wears a nametag and badge saying he is an official for Apex comes in and wags his finger at me telling me I'm in trouble for not being equal and following rules, I'm gonna tell him to **** off and go break a nail playing melee. We're not little kids who think because mom and dad said something is not allowed then it must be bad because they're judge, jury, and executioner. We're all adults and we know that mom and dad don't know what is best for us. We know what is best for us. They can ***** and moan about things needing to be equal, everyone can sit here and ***** and moan about things not needing to be equal. The argument is dead when no one who has authority is paying attention or budging. So lets collectively say **** it, break the rules, and just run round robin pools. They're not the gestapo, they won't have someone watching over everyone's shoulder, listening in on every match, and punishing everyone who fires a neuron that leads to an idea of disobedience. They walk in and ask how bracket pools are going, we say they're going great while we are in fact doing gentlemans round robin pools. Its called lying, and I'm certain every single one of you are familiar with it. Smile, nod your head, and say "I love bracket pools and being treated 'equally' while at the same time unfairly" whenever someone from Apex walks by you, then go back to playing your round robin pool matches in peace.

Shears

Smash Master
Are we sharing setups, tables, and equipment? Can round robin pools be run in the allocated time we have for bracket pools? If not, how much additional time do we need?

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Instead of having a tournament we should all just go see a movie together!

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Are we sharing setups, tables, and equipment? Can round robin pools be run in the allocated time we have for bracket pools? If not, how much additional time do we need?
we would be getting our own stream thing i think, being done by 8wr. the allocated time is a stretch, which is why i think it should be lengthened to noon. noon to 8pm is ample time to get through all those pools, and then 8 to 11 for top 32 to trickle down to top8/6. it'd work out fine, imo

Shears

Smash Master
So why can't we just start at noon? If nothing will be occupying the tables that the setups will use can't we just set up and start pools? I'm done seeking permission from Apex, if the 64 community gives itself permission then there is nothing that can stop it.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
on today's list of things i give a **** about

[x] my chicken parm
[x] some cash coming my way
[x] grad school apps
[ ] kero's **** comments

oh would you look at that

now fix your ****ing car

additionally: there are 63 people signed up (if near reregisters it'll be 64), with many people still missing who are confirmed to be going. it was unfortunate that i saw that such people who have played 64 have not signed up - chain ace, eikalmann, pidgezero, those are the names i recall seeing in the people who signed up for melee but not 64. i'm thinking we'll reach capacity, or close to it, within the month. i am sincerely hoping all these local tourney kids decide to come out and enjoy themselves.
namesearch lel

I've actually retired from singles in every game, I've requested a refund for my entry fee - this year I'm only entering brawl doubles

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
The only problems I can think of by us doing RR pools by ourselves:

1. There might be people who see that 64 doesn't start until 4, and won't show up until 4 who might miss out on their match if we start at noon.
2. Are Nintendude, chain-ace, and Sensei going to go behind Apex staff back and run a RR pools tourney? I doubt it. It's more work for them to do, and none of them have fought for round robin pools at all. All of them have just accepted Apex Staff decisions so far.

I'm really considering getting a refund for everything and just getting a guest pass for Friday/Saturday if we don't get bracket pools. There's no reason for me to be in the venue on Sunday (might even skip out on Saturday).

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^^Wut Shears said.

Also, we can't just run our own **** because the reason the tournament numbers get so high is because close to if not more than half the entrants are randoms that aren't in our community.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Guys, I get you're frustrated. We all are. But if Apex staff is going to be a douche about the whole thing, don't let it ruin your experience. Apex is the best weekend of the year. I'm not saying we should give up, but if our efforts don't make a difference in the end, let's just make the best of the whatever ****ty tournament they give us. WHO KNOWS, MAYBE WE MIGHT ACTUALLY LIKE THE TOURNAMENT STYLE.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
also, we don't have deals worked out with venues. and it's the only time a lot of people get to see one another.

grr.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
The only problems I can think of by us doing RR pools by ourselves:

1. There might be people who see that 64 doesn't start until 4, and won't show up until 4 who might miss out on their match if we start at noon.
2. Are Nintendude, chain-ace, and Sensei going to go behind Apex staff back and run a RR pools tourney? I doubt it. It's more work for them to do, and none of them have fought for round robin pools at all. All of them have just accepted Apex Staff decisions so far.

I'm really considering getting a refund for everything and just getting a guest pass for Friday/Saturday if we don't get bracket pools. There's no reason for me to be in the venue on Sunday (might even skip out on Saturday).
Even if the TOs would not behind running RR pools does not mean it cant happen as anyone can make RR pools as long as you have player knowledge and with this you could even be the new TO and have a few helpers call out names its that easy. You can even have pool captains who whould be in change of a pool to make sure it runs ok. As Han solo said we would lose a few players due to them missing there matches but the players that miss there matches may not be hard core SSB players like alot of us are. I say we run a side event that has RR pools so players that are flying from all over get in alot more games. If players are down this can be done We start up a sign up sheet and have anyone who wants to play pay $5.00 or something and top 3 would get the pot. I for one would pay to play in a RR tourney.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Sure we can do another tourney with RR pools, and I'm sure we'll get a lot of people, but we probably won't get the numbers that would necessitate RR pools, and we wouldn't get the main stream.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
So why don't you guys just organize your own big 64-only tournament with your own rules? Your country has definitly enough players to do that. Aren't the most players here 64-only players? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
resources, my man. strife has a history of being able to hold tournaments for multiple days and multiple games and be able to pay off venues, secure sponsors, agree to adverts, etc.

the best i could do is beg my old grammar school to let me use their cafeteria on friday night and kick out all the geezers playing bingo.

for next to free.

The Star King

Smash Hero
So why don't you guys just organize your own big 64-only tournament with your own rules? Your country has definitly enough players to do that. Aren't the most players here 64-only players? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Believe me, this has been brought up a billion times and everyone agrees having our own 64 tournament would be a good idea. But it's easy to post on the forum saying you want one. Nobody is actually stepping up and organizing one. lol.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
If were talking about having our own tourney INSTEAD of Apex then I strongly disagree.

Apex brings us a lot more entrants and exposure. Both of which I like. A lot.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna organize a 64 only tourney in philadelphia, but then everybody (at least all of mdva) said they wouldnt come q_q

jerks.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I'm really trying to organize one. I'm working on finding TV's and consoles and spare controllers for people that don't bring their own. My friends and I are thinking about throwing it out of their house. The town is building a Holiday Inn less than a mile from there and I'm gonna try to work out getting discounted event ranks when it's fully built. Also, my friends and I can provide housing if need be. I'm saving up for a $1000 dollar pot bonus and I'm getting close to that. We still haven't decided a date or a name yet. We're thinking 3rd weekend of May, but if that's not good for anyone we can probably push it back to the most reasonable date.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Froski said he had a bunch of money, and was going to host a big 64 tournament. Too bad that never happened.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
If I where to ever win the lotto having the best SSB tournament ever would happen but everyone would have to come to WA for it :). Also I'm thinking of starting up SSB at game clucks again here in Wa to see how it turns out hope to get some players out for it as it seems SSB is growing again here.

Annex

Smash Ace
You guys mean "having are own tourney" right?
No.
Our is used to refer to group ownership of something. "Our tournament" is a tournament owned by the collective group of SSB64 players.
Are is either a way to start a question "are we going to run a RR tourney?", or it can be a way to show that one thing is equal to another "You are a moderator".
"Our" and "are" are pronounced almost exactly the same.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Lol it was a bad joke from me, making fun of how Jel used "are own tournament" several times in one of his post. But thanks for trying to help, I would be happy if more people could correct my English so I could improve.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
English is hard. I can confirm I've been living in New york for years and I don't even know how to spell most words. If it weren't for spell check I wouldn't be getting anywhere.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Nah, if you do that lazy 'merican "our", it does sound like "are": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWoEjJ01uwI&t=20s

I second this:
I would be happy if more people could correct my English so I could improve.
Sometimes I don't know how what word I should put in, and it's not really something I can look up, it would take a native's ear to say "[that] sounds weird, you should use [this]" or something.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I did the calculations and doing 16 round robin pools of 8 people each into a 32 man bracket would literally take more than twice as many matches as the current double elimination system. If we had 16 setups to work with, this would require about 5 hours extra. I hate to say it but it's hard for me to jump into that thread and argue with apex staff about getting RR pools when looking at these numbers. I'll argue for having a less ****ty time for top 8 but other than that I'm starting to think that RR pools will take substantially longer unless we have 32 setups.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
5 hours extra? So starting at 11am? Is that not possible for us for some reason?
The 5 extra hours is a theoretical amount of time under optimal conditions. It assumes that people will not cause any delays, leave the venue temporarily and make their pools take longer, players simply arriving late to the tournament, etc. That can happen with regular bracket pools but the odds of it happening when you have more matches increases by a lot. It becomes exponentially harder to logistically manage something like that and many more problems can occur.

Don't take this as me arguing against round robin pools. I'm just saying I can't logically convince myself to argue with apex staff for round robin pools.

Top Bottom