• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Brawl Top 12 discussion thread ALL ACTIVE PLAYERS HAVE BEEN INCONSISTENT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Money is a bad measurement method, though.
I thought last APEX and Nietono showed that.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I mean obviously Anti is good at the MK ditto, Anti is amazing, I just think there are numerous other MKs (ie M2K Ally ZeRo Otori Rain and maybe Nairo and Kakera) that will be attending who are better at it and, by extension, are more likely to win in the event that they play each other in bracket.

@Eddie no I didn't see it, but I do know that he lost.

Didn't know that Anti beat Nairo's MK with Snake this year O_o (but I doubt that'll happen again after watching what happened at Uprise 11 lmao) and yeah my bad, I forgot about him beating Vinnie at Impact IV. And Vinnie seems to be losing quite a bit as of late (Collision V, XSmash, Uprise 11) so I guess I could take back what I said about Vinnie being more likely to beat Anti than vice-versa. ESAM and 9B still have a good chance though imo

Again, it's not that I think Anti can't make top 4 as much as it is that I think he won't make top 4.

Tesh

Smash Hero
in round 1 pools

edit: if you were to alphabetize the pool results, wouldnt you have to put __X__ first because of the underscores? and if the tournament had to end abruptly he would have to be crowned champion i believe under the rules.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
in round 1 pools

edit: if you were to alphabetize the pool results, wouldnt you have to put __X__ first because of the underscores? and if the tournament had to end abruptly he would have to be crowned champion i believe under the rules.
Yes, you would put him there. The Atendees section on AiB lists him first.

Three times as many Sonic's on this page as any other character lol. :D

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It would be mad ironic that Apex Vinnie would not have registered for Apex...

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I meant that there's so many Sonic's, but the Sonic isn't.

If you still don't get it then nvm.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Here's my top 12

1. 9B
2. Nairo
3. Rain
4. Zero
5. Mew2King
5. Anti
7. ESAM
7. Ally
9. DEHF
9. bjay
9. ADHD
9. Vinnie

bjay I think might be that player that we underrate and don't expect to do as well, kinda like how OCEAN was last year. I can see him taking on some high caliber players, and though it may seem a bit odd that he's higher than Leon or Mr. R, I can envision it.

zmx

Smash Lord
I think people are overrating 9B and Rain.

It's pretty evident now that Icys in general do naturally good in Japan, far better than other regions. For example, when Vinnie went over there and entered 2 stacked Nationals he got second place (including beating 9B in dittos). On the other hand he rarely even makes top 3 at NJ/NY regionals.

Considering this is Apex, I think a lot of people, especially top MKs will be willing to play a lot more defensive to get the job done. I wouldn't be surprised if several top MKs gained a lead and then just went for the timeout against 9B. And there's not a whole lot Icys can do about that on certain stages.

As for Rain he seems to be one of those players that does terrific in his own region and not nearly as good when going OOC. In other words, he does as good as he does simply because he knows his own region's players very well.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
For some reason neither 9b nor Vinnie have won something lately.....
As for Rain, I really do not like his playstyle, but he has won (at least) the latest 3 tournaments he went to, and that's enough to expect him to do something important. IMO.

zmx

Smash Lord
Yes but the point is Ice Climbers seem to do better in Japan than anywhere else. And one can't say it's just because 9b alone is amazing because Vinnie also got extremely high placings (2nd both times). This suggests to me that Japan is just bad against Ice Climbers and their ruleset probably plays a part as well.

I really can't see 9b taking Apex.

For some reason neither 9b nor Vinnie have won something lately.....
As for Rain, I really do not like his playstyle, but he has won (at least) the latest 3 tournaments he went to, and that's enough to expect him to do something important. IMO.
Perhaps but that again was only in his own region. I'm fairly certain he was considered a top and well respected player in Japan even before coming to Apex 2012 and other previous nationals. I'm not sure this time around will be much different. I can see him getting top 16, possibly top 8, but that's about it really.

Also as you hinted, Rain seems to have an overly defensive style that works in Japan because players like him are given too much respect. I'm not sure how he'd handle more aggro and less methodical playstyles. Espeically against players he doesn't play every other tournament.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Well I think after SRT that Rain is deffenately someone that could win this. But I am 90% sure that MK will take the tournament. no not 100%

zmx

Smash Lord
Better question
What % of top 8 will :metaknight: take up?

:phone:
I think MK is stronger than ever. Top MKs have gotten over bad matchups they might have had in the past and really, what true MK slayers will be at this tourny?

People like Vinnie and ADHD that used to do great against MKs have been losing to every top MK lately. Ally is probably going to go full MK again (no Snake). Nietono isn't coming, Razer is out of practice (?) etc. Even 9B has dropped recent sets to players like Kakera.

Not to mention there are probably more top MKs at this this time around than ever before.

With that being said I would not be surprised if top 8 are 80-100% MKs.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Better question
What % of top 12 will :metaknight: take up?

:phone:
fix'd for thread accuracy.

Counting secondaries and co-maining as 1, I'd say 66% (8/12).

@zmx: even if Nietono would've gone, he uses more MK now.

zmx

Smash Lord
fix'd for thread accuracy.

Counting secondaries and co-maining as 1, I'd say 66% (8/12).

@zmx: even if Nietono would've gone, he uses more MK now.
Well there you go lol.

Oh and Dabuz doesn't practice anymore and also loses to pretty much every top MK now.

That leaves what, DEHF,9B and Esam as the only players people realistically can expect to take out a few top MKs? And I don't know if WC has had any tournaments lately, no idea what sort of shape DEHF is in.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Nobody knows about WC, they are never on SWF and never publish their tournaments/results.
RB could be up there as well.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Don't see how another Olimar has a better shot than Dabuz, Brood in this mess of MK, ICs and a splash of falco. Also Razer is just another person he will run into and get crushed.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Well The thing is that like maybe the 8 best mk's in the world are at Apex 2013.
And I think Mikeneko can also do ok vs top mk's

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
I'm not talking about individual sets but the eventual top 12, which is what this thread is all about.

It's true that there were a number of upsets in the history of Apex but in the end none of people that placed between 1st and 9th really felt out of place too much there. That said, Ocean at 9th was kind of an upset simply because his character choice made odds look stacked against him - kind of like san at Apex 2010 but I feel both are very minor upsets. That is nothing compared to the kind of ideas that PMC has introduced: the suggestion that Seagull, Pee or cyve could take the entire tournament [nevermind the fact that Seagull is the only one of those who will actually be there].

:059:
:jokerfaic: why so serious?

me9595

Smash Apprentice
the biggest thing that will hurt 9b will be the stage list and not being able to cp final everytime, however, i heard that the past couple of tournaments in japan have been running apex ruleset to prepare, and i dont know if he has any secondaries that could do well on some of the stages that are bad for ics

zmx

Smash Lord
I know 9B used to play DDD and Lucario a long time ago.

It would be pretty hype if he busted out those for counterpick stages.

Tesh

Smash Hero
dont see how that would be useful against the characters that give ICs trouble....like mk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom