• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 SSB64 Event

dmbrandon

Smash Master
somebody needs to write a blogpost or something to all the brawl players who have ******** misconceptions about games
Join date 2008 calls join date 2005 a brawl player.

Moving on, as for comparing: I didn't compare the two games. I said minus would gather more interest. For proof, I have the amount of attendees for Apex2010? For streaming, running a game with such low resolution on stream is hardly a good idea. Popular streaming really took off in 2009, and even then, we didn't stream 64, hardly saw games like ST, and so forth.

The FACT is, our stream schedule is set, and that monopolizes the main stage. Projectors are expensive, and must be rented. The game hasn't capped yet, a few weeks before the tournament, and I can attest that at least 10 of those players registered because they wanted to do everything.

I've never once said the game was bad; in fact, I played the hell out of it when it was relavant. I actually had the game the day it came out... in Japan. I studied the metagame, and while I haven't played it competitively in years, i did my fair share of damage when I did, with a few tourney wins in 05-06.

I know the game, I know what it's worth to sponsors and stream monsters, and I'm confident in saying that it isn't a positive venture. Don't take it so personally; it's just a game.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if you said that in your opening post, then there would have been no pointless argument - if the schedule really is that inflexible, fine, but surely someone can lug along a powerboard and projector to set up on a spare table for screening on an empty wall or something?

the metagame back in 05 sounds like the one where ness was believed to be top tier

using join dates as an argument is ****ing ********, i'd be willing to bet you're almost exactly 3 or 4 years older than me

dmbrandon

Smash Master
You very much said "Brawl player." Join date is relavent, as I'm 2005 join date, meaning I had at some point came here for Melee. Meanwhile, you have a 2008 join date, which leads me to the inclination that you came here for Brawl. It's silly, you see, the circle.

64 is a cult game now. As such, it's tourney play is severely limited. This is the closest thing to a major. At large FGC tourneys, other games are played, but not on the main stage. It's only this year KoF had a return to the mainstage, because it has a new game out.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord

Moving on, as for comparing: I didn't compare the two games. I said minus would gather more interest. For proof, I have the amount of attendees for Apex2010? For streaming, running a game with such low resolution on stream is hardly a good idea. Popular streaming really took off in 2009, and even then, we didn't stream 64, hardly saw games like ST, and so forth.

The FACT is, our stream schedule is set, and that monopolizes the main stage. Projectors are expensive, and must be rented. The game hasn't capped yet, a few weeks before the tournament, and I can attest that at least 10 of those players registered because they wanted to do everything.

I've never once said the game was bad; in fact, I played the hell out of it when it was relavant. I actually had the game the day it came out... in Japan. I studied the metagame, and while I haven't played it competitively in years, i did my fair share of damage when I did, with a few tourney wins in 05-06.

I know the game, I know what it's worth to sponsors and stream monsters, and I'm confident in saying that it isn't a positive venture. Don't take it so personally; it's just a game.
It hasn't capped yet, and AllBrawl has. All Brawl has 15 more entrants as well. We're not showing AllBrawl, because despite its popularity (Though slim), the world doesn't care.
If that's not a comparison, then I don't know what is. I'm not familiar with All Brawl but it looks like it's a different ruleset used for Brawl. That actually makes it worse. It's like comparing a low tier Brawl tournament to the original Smash game. You then further compared Smash 64 to an actual Brawl mod -- Brawl Minus. It's like saying 'we wouldn't even cap out Minus so what makes you think 64 would?' How about you show 64 because it's part of the Smash series and this year at Apex will be the biggest 64 tournament in North America? Also, sure, maybe there are people that registered for 64 because they wanted to play all the Smash games but isn't that for ALL of the games? Tournaments aren't comprised of only high level players playing each other.

Also, nobody said you think 64 is bad. If you did play Smash 64 for a while when it was 'relevant,' you would know that 64 isn't unbalanced. Anyways, it's all good now. Apex isn't a Smash tournament. The schedule for streaming has been set etc.

My join date is 2010 and I play Melee and 64. Assuming the game people play based on their join date is not something you should rely on. That's actually quite common in forums where a sense of elitism establishes based on the registration date. If that's what you're trying to do, knock it off.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i refuse to get hype unless they're going double samus (which is mid-high tier according to super secret BR doubles tiering)

it was sheer coincidence i joined then, though i can hardly say it wasn't because brawl rekindled my interest in the series

you have a unity ruleset user title, hence my assumption you probably play brawl to some extent

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
As much as we would like Smash 64 to be on championship Sunday, it likely won't happen. While finalizing the schedule 100% if we find some time, I'm sure we would do what we can, but it doesn't look well at the moment.

Even though this is one of the greatest 64 events in recent times, it's still a side event, that's not something we can avoid. It's a one day event for reduced price. It's sort of the same as All Brawl in a way, which actually hit the entree cap sooner than 64. Pokemon is falling between main event and side event. It has a standard entry fee, but is only one on day. It also won't be on championship Sunday either.

In the end also, it comes down to time. If we had all the time in the world and Sunday was a 40 hour long day, sure we would throw it up there. However, in terms of notoriety - the biggest players here are Melee, Brawl, SSF4AE, and UMvC3 - and there's no way that can be denied. And those are the four games being features on CS. Note that Mortal Kombat isn't there either.

It's not that we don't care, it's time mainly.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
i refuse to get hype unless they're going double samus (which is mid-high tier according to super secret BR doubles tiering)

it was sheer coincidence i joined then, though i can hardly say it wasn't because brawl rekindled my interest in the series

you have a unity ruleset user title, hence my assumption you probably play brawl to some extent
You've implied you don't know who I am. I don't even know what to say. #elitismdies

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i'm still laughing that 64 is apparently unbalanced, the least interesting smash game, and that the majority of melee and brawl players hate it. oh but it's ok, because a guy who won a tournament 6 years ago said so, he must be right. if smash 64 can't be run on the big screen due to time constraints or what have you that's fine, but half the stuff said was a joke.

it's days like these that i miss fireblaster

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I just wanted to say that lots of people still make cash money off of broodwar. That is all.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
i'm still laughing that 64 is apparently unbalanced, the least interesting smash game, and that the majority of melee and brawl players hate it. oh but it's ok, because a guy who won a tournament 6 years ago said so, he must be right. if smash 64 can't be run on the big screen due to time constraints or what have you that's fine, but half the stuff said was a joke.

it's days like these that i miss fireblaster
Exactly. It would've been better if he said those things in the first place rather than trying to rationalize those decisions with laughable claims like Smash 64 is 'unbalanced'

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
why do i feel like the bovine isnt writing on this thread because hes on his way to brandons house with a gun.

the older 64 players just need more awareness of Big events like apex.
My local gamestore gets 60+ people every month for smash64.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
And Graphics DO mean crap. If they didn't and old metagames were viable, we'd all be playing SC1 and Halo 2.
lol. Halo 2? c'mon now CE is where it's at.

and whaddya know - melee is 10 years old at this point too.

The idea that this would be streamed on the main stage period is something that shouldn't even be suggested
something that shouldn't even be suggested? lol if you come into the SMASH64 forums and expect people here to not push for their game.

This kind of ignorance is hurting Smash as a community
ignorance like someone who doesn't know anything about 64 trying to tell us about the game? OK

I don't see the benefit of having people care more about 64. :\
lol. I don't see the benefit of playing any of those brawl mods - or even brawl itself.

subbin for drama, 64 is old as hell

:017:
melee is old as hell. brawl is pretty old at this point too.

no, 64 player calls "Brawl Unity Ruleset" guy a brawl player.

64 is a cult game now. As such, it's tourney play is severely limited. This is the closest thing to a major. At large FGC tourneys, other games are played, but not on the main stage. It's only this year KoF had a return to the mainstage, because it has a new game out.
By these standards Melee doesn't deserve to be on the main stage. If it weren't a "smash tournament" then Melee would not get this support. Being a 10 year old game and all.

ban for revealing backroom secrets

As much as we would like Smash 64 to be on championship Sunday, it likely won't happen. While finalizing the schedule 100% if we find some time, I'm sure we would do what we can, but it doesn't look well at the moment.

Even though this is one of the greatest 64 events in recent times, it's still a side event, that's not something we can avoid. It's a one day event for reduced price. It's sort of the same as All Brawl in a way, which actually hit the entree cap sooner than 64. Pokemon is falling between main event and side event. It has a standard entry fee, but is only one on day. It also won't be on championship Sunday either.

In the end also, it comes down to time. If we had all the time in the world and Sunday was a 40 hour long day, sure we would throw it up there. However, in terms of notoriety - the biggest players here are Melee, Brawl, SSF4AE, and UMvC3 - and there's no way that can be denied. And those are the four games being features on CS. Note that Mortal Kombat isn't there either.

It's not that we don't care, it's time mainly.
wow, a legitimate response that doesn't talk smack about 64. AMAZING.

why do i feel like the bovine isnt writing on this thread because hes on his way to brandons house with a gun.
LOL

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
lmfao @ Melee being a "cult game"

200+ entrants consistently at nationals is not a cult game, dude.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Unity guy calls 64 unbalanced... Didn't you just ban your only competitive char?

and yea Ballin just ***** this ****.
and yes, ignore my name. Judging by my join date I'm obv a new school Brawl kid.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I want to remind people here, this is nothing against you, but this is a side event. Due to that we may have players from those games leave to play the main event matches which we find our TOP priority. I am just letting you guys know so you can understand what we are doing
I fully understand and appreciate this fact. However, I feel the need to state that Genesis had major problems with players not showing up for their ssb64 matches due to playing in Melee/Brawl pools or simply because we could not find a given player amongst the throngs. The result was a ssb64 tournament that had to be finished in a hotel room at 3:00 AM.

The Genesis SSB64 event had about 25 players, and we're looking to at least double that number here. Something needs to be done to ensure that the SSB64 event is able to finish in something resembling a timely fashion. If nothing else, the people running this event need to be prepared for and ready to respond to these problems when they surface.

(of course, it would probably help if "the people running this event" was incorporated in an actual person or persons rather than a piece of paper with a bracket on it randomly tossed between different players in the event. It sounds like Nintendude is taking responsibility for this event, so maybe I'm just worrying too much)

If there's a mic I'm like to have high quality, informative commentary, though I'm not sure how realistic that is. If there's no quality commentators out there then I'd rather have no commentary at all.
I'm willing to give commentating a shot. I've got experience giving informative and entertaining (I hope) Touhou panels, so maybe I can do a decent job at this too.

Zack353

Smash Ace
all games are cult games except for call of duty and starcraft

its true because my join date is 2005

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I fully understand and appreciate this fact. However, I feel the need to state that Genesis had major problems with players not showing up for their ssb64 matches due to playing in Melee/Brawl pools or simply because we could not find a given player amongst the throngs. The result was a ssb64 tournament that had to be finished in a hotel room at 3:00 AM.

The Genesis SSB64 event had about 25 players, and we're looking to at least double that number here. Something needs to be done to ensure that the SSB64 event is able to finish in something resembling a timely fashion. If nothing else, the people running this event need to be prepared for and ready to respond to these problems when they surface.

(of course, it would probably help if "the people running this event" was incorporated in an actual person or persons rather than a piece of paper with a bracket on it randomly tossed between different players in the event. It sounds like Nintendude is taking responsibility for this event, so maybe I'm just worrying too much)
PLEASE DO NOT TAKE WHAT i'M GOING TO SAY IN OFFENSE, AS THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK:

If a player has to play 64 and any other game at the venue at the same time, the other game will come first. a 64-max person tournament will not hold up the bracket for a 300-400 person tournament, especially with pot bonuses, and sponsors in the room.

If Nintendude feels he should DQ someone for not being to play, or if he feels he would delay the match accordingly, it will be his call. But note: any play late by more than 4 minutes to their pool will lose a game. 6 minutes a set. 10 minutes, 3 games, and 12 will be a DQ. We have no time to spend waiting, and all refs will be informed of this, and will be equipped with stopwatches. No. Johns.

64, AllBrawl are both side events. They're being hosted strictly because there is a want for Allbrawl at a national level, and rather a NEED for 64. Either way, these events may not interfere with main events, and thus, will not do so without consequences to the players in offense.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
PLEASE DO NOT TAKE WHAT i'M GOING TO SAY IN OFFENSE, AS THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK:

If a player has to play 64 and any other game at the venue at the same time, the other game will come first. a 64-max person tournament will not hold up the bracket for a 300-400 person tournament, especially with pot bonuses, and sponsors in the room.

If Nintendude feels he should DQ someone for not being to play, or if he feels he would delay the match accordingly, it will be his call. But note: any play late by more than 4 minutes to their pool will lose a game. 6 minutes a set. 10 minutes, 3 games, and 12 will be a DQ. We have no time to spend waiting, and all refs will be informed of this, and will be equipped with stopwatches. No. Johns.

64, AllBrawl are both side events. They're being hosted strictly because there is a want for Allbrawl at a national level, and rather a NEED for 64. Either way, these events may not interfere with main events, and thus, will not do so without consequences to the players in offense.
This is reasonable. I suppose the main issue is making sure that whoever is in charge of the SSB64 event is ready and willing to move the event forward in whatever manner is necessary.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
This is reasonable. I suppose the main issue is making sure that whoever is in charge of the SSB64 event is ready and willing to move the event forward in whatever manner is necessary.
Realistic and proper DQing, in 5 steps:

1. Someone enters
2. Someone doesn't show up for match within 6 minutes
3. Someone is actually a cool *** dude, and was donating to the pot
4. Smile and nod quietly about how cool that dude was.
5. DQ, and dip.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
console tourney = console teams. lag? DEAL WITH IT

on an unrelated note, when are we going to finalize seeding? Hopefully not until the tourney starts, right? I'm gonna be "training" with A$ until Apex and I don't wanna show up all decent and play Isai first round. I mean, I'd still win, but it would be really hard and stuff, ya know?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
lmfao @ Melee being a "cult game"

200+ entrants consistently at nationals is not a cult game, dude.
10+ years old is. There are a few hundred very active competitive players and few casual players - seems to fit the definition.

Honestly, 64 might be more popular amongst casual players (at least the ones I've seen). Though that is probably because N64 >>>> gamecube as a system and people got dat nostalgia.

Anyway, my point was merely that Melee would not be hyped up to the level of these newer, more popular games without strong support from the tournament organizers.

It's interesting seeing ballin debate for the forces of good for once.
ouch. when have i been on the forces of evil? haha

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
dmbrandon
Banned (6 Points)

wat

I kind of recall dmbrandon saying that he's not going to be able to respond to something without getting banned. What can you possibly say or do to get banned? Lol. Maybe he had a bunch of infractions already (not a big surprise considering his graceful introduction the community)? Maybe DMoogle caught up to his posts and infracted him as such and as a result he got banned, lol.

firo

Smash Ace
Everyone seems to be excited about teams, and I am looking forward to doing them...

however I think things need to be straightened out before we get too ahead of ourselves. When would the team matches be happening? Saturday night? Sunday? There really should be a time set especially since people will be playing other games, and if there are going to be signups people need to know when it is happening or else the doubles tourney is just going to end up being extremely small based on who happens to be around the 64 section at the time.

Considering that this is going to be a community run spinoff of a side-event in terms of the TOs perspective, I hope that things can stay organized to make it happen. I've never been to a tournament of this grandiose nature before, so I might be completely mistaken, but I feel like there will certainly be communication struggles especially for people (like me, although 64 takes precedence over all of them) who are participating in many different events, watching games, or are just socializing.

I just don't want to miss anything 64 related as I won't be there the whole time. If something is going on, especially if its not something that is part of the tournament schedule, people should be informed and hopefully there won't be too many conflicts.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
SuperBoomFan is teaming with JaimeHR for teams get HYPED!
Teams sound good. I may know a team that can take them out :p.

I'm willing to give commentating a shot. I've got experience giving informative and entertaining (I hope) Touhou panels, so maybe I can do a decent job at this too.
I vote you to be commentating, you did really good at the Touhou panels. Also me and Kefit have been to a few events where we had to find players to play matches and I can tell you ITS NOT FUN. With that said A DQ needs to be 100% given out when players hold up the event at all. I really dont think we will have time to wait for players to show up or we will be waiting forever amd end up having the same thing that happened at Genesis 2.

Realistic and proper DQing, in 5 steps:
1. Someone enters
2. Someone doesn't show up for match within 6 minutes
3. Someone is actually a cool *** dude, and was donating to the pot
4. Smile and nod quietly about how cool that dude was.
5. DQ, and dip.
This is something that should be done.

Also I do not mind if we did pools, but if not doing them is faster then we should not. Nintendude are we useing the Competitive Recommended Ruleset for this event?. Firo is right if anything is going on we should know time and where cause I dont think anyone wants to miss a thing.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Don't think brandon deserved to get banned for anything he said here. He was just stating his argument and didn't attack anyone directly although I didn't agree with his statement.

But anyway, it looks like that's settled. Me Nintendude and hamburglar are running 64, and I will personally keep pushing to try to get at least LF WF and GF maybe on the main stage, although it's looking unlikely. If championship sunday is definitely a NO, I can at least set something up so that the finals are played on a big centralized tv off stream so that the whole Melee and 64 crowd can watch finals on saturday, I will definitely do that so that it will be hype. The Melee players do relate to the speed and combos of 64 at high level.

As for seeding, Me Nintendude and hamurglar will definitely seed all of us 64 boards apart, nobody will get screwed first round or 2. Realize that a 64 man bracket is a tight squeeze, and round 3 is a different story no matter who you are. That being said, we're going to observe and gauge the skill levels on friday, so that the lower level players who came from brawl and such will get seeded accordingly. You won't get 2 scrubs playing each other on one part of bracket, and two close level skill on other side first round.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I just wanna say thank you to Chain-Ace/Nintendude/Hamburglar/AlexStrife/everyone else helping out to make this a good event for 64 players. I know that I haven't registered yet, but understand I'm doing everything in my power to be there. Even if I don't go you guys got my respect, and gratitude.

Also, I call the Isai+Sensei counterpick.

Top Bottom