• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 SSB64 Event

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
seriously? did you say I better do what you want?

I mean I want to make sure EVERYTHING gets done on time not have things come to a point where people have to stay longer than usual but dont you speak to me like that cause I have no problem just giving you guys nothing.

I am giving you 2-3 tvs all weekend from my personal house...I am getting others to put in time to make sure you get 5-8 setups for your weekend. Do not disrespect me like that ever.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Our ability to run pools in the amount of time depends on how many setups we have right? We can always plan pools, but jic we don't have enough setups we should have something else planned. I can't bring a tv that doens't lag, but I could bring a console if for some reason those are in short supply.

Also thanks for all your hard work Alex, I have no complaints :)

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
ppl are mad that mk9 gets money...im sorry that a sponsor gave us money for a game we should totally turn it doqn.

The Star King

Smash Hero
People were only mad because they thought it was coming out of the entry fee. If it's from sponsors then no worries.

Can someone explain the importance of pools to me?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
they want to play more "tournament" matches so pools gives ppl the chance to do so.

instead of playing 2 matches and your out of the tournament you are put into a pool of 3-4 pl and play round robin style

The Star King

Smash Hero
I guess that kind of makes sense, but you'll have more time to play friendlies so you're not really getting less games. Maybe I'm underestimating the value of tournament matches compared to friendlies though.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Pools are fun because it evens out the bracket a little more, and tourney matches are of a completely different breed than friendlies.

I, for one, would like to see more high-level serious matches, especially from this tournament, with all the high profile names.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, a-strife, if the MK money comes from sponsors that's obviously cool with everyone, my bad. Pools are cool, SK, because that way you get more accurate seeding (say someone cares a lot about whether they get 17th or 25th; if the TO's sleep on someone or overrate someone as they almost certainly will, that person might get a lower result than they deserve). Also, tourney matches are just hyper and cooler than friendlies.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I dont think pools is bad i just think its not necessary when the skilled players in 64 are so few and imo i think we can seed just fine without unless the TOs are morons which they shouldnt be since we are pyaing them

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Those 2-3 setups that were mentioned... those are being provided by Apex? Aren't the dedicated 64 players that are going bringing their own setups? Actually, I guess there would be a lack of TVs.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah 64 players are welcome to bring their own N64's and TV's and the 2-3 dedicated setups will be from Alex. I was talking with hamburglar, and he mentioned bringing TV's as well.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Obviously 2-3 is the bare mim...im sorry if that was not made clear. We will be starting 64 at a point where we can take some tvs from other games ( if we do not have enough ) and use them for 64. Stop being all pessimistic when this will be a great event.

Olikus

Smash Champion
the most important thing is to get every thing recorded =D man apex 64 looking **** atm. Good work alex.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
im bringing a laptop w/recording setup in addition to an n64. we can run side tournys and whatnot from it, but i do not have/know how to use bracketing/TO software.

also bringing my gameshark, maybe we would even record a 12cb all FD who knows.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
commentary PLZ kTHX
^This.

we are going to need a commentator that knows about this game at least for the stream. That is, if we have commentary for this tourney..ill at least have open mic records of some friendlies @ jimmyjoe's

Who do YOU think should/would be the best to commentate out of the registered players???

I vote boom, not to say that peoples' pick would follow through tho

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Obviously 2-3 is the bare mim...im sorry if that was not made clear. We will be starting 64 at a point where we can take some tvs from other games ( if we do not have enough ) and use them for 64. Stop being all pessimistic when this will be a great event.
Thanks for letting us have some tvs to start with and takeing others from the other games so 64 can get done.

Don't worry Ima be recording everything :D
Sweet Ill think about bring a set up my self as there is a few mms that I wish to record.

I can probably bring two TVs or so and atleast one console.

:phone:
Cool thanks for helping out jimmyjoe :D

^This.

we are going to need a commentator that knows about this game at least for the stream. That is, if we have commentary for this tourney..ill at least have open mic records of some friendlies @ jimmyjoe's

Who do YOU think should/would be the best to commentate out of the registered players???

I vote boom, not to say that peoples' pick would follow through tho
Maybe Kefit will be willing to be a commentator.

Also there is alot of good players going so we will see some good matches from

Isai
SuPeRbOoM
JaimeHR
Nintendude1189
Kefit
Sensei

Maybe we will start a vote and do a vote of a match up everyone wants to see.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I appreciate what you're doing here Alex and I understand hosting a large event is stressful, but you need to calm down a bit. Some of us are a little pessimistic because we got a little ****ed for setups for gen2, we just don't want it to happen again.

It's cool though. I thought our max setups would be 2-3 LOL. Step up for TVs 64 players!

If anyone wants to MM or record at APEX, just let me know, or uh just play rofl.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
I appreciate what you're doing here Alex and I understand hosting a large event is stressful, but you need to calm down a bit. Some of us are a little pessimistic because we got a little ****ed for setups for gen2, we just don't want it to happen again.

It's cool though. I thought our max setups would be 2-3 LOL. Step up for TVs 64 players!

If anyone wants to MM or record at APEX, just let me know, or uh just play rofl.
Im down to throw some money down for DK Dittos!! lol

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Welp I registered. No way I can miss this if all these people are actually showing up.

boom said:
We need to get like a million recorded matches. Somehow I don't think we've ever recorded any. Ever.

EDIT: Wait no that is a lie. We recorded like three matches a million years ago. But we need more!

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Ok.

Here is what I will do.

I have an audio mixer, 2 professional mics, and an HD webcam. You can make a nice presentation to record for Apex 2012.

Would you guys like to borrow it?

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
AIR US (Atlantic North)
Black Cats31 US (Atlantic North)
Chain-Ace US (Atlantic North)
Clubbadubba US (Atlantic North)
Codi US (Atlantic North)
Colonel Andre US (Midwest)
Dark Master US (Atlantic North)
Duck US (Midwest)
Espy US (Southwest)
Firo US (Atlantic North)
Garm US (Midwest)
Glen Cocoa US (Atlantic North)
hamburglar US (Atlantic North)
Homeland US (Atlantic North)
Isai US (Pacific West)
JaimeHR Latin America (Mexico)
Jel US (Pacific West)
Jimmy Joe US (Atlantic North)
JohnsterMonzter US (Atlantic South)
Kefit US (Pacific West)
KeroKeroppi US (Atlantic North)
King Funk Europe (Denmark)
KnitePhox US (Midwest)
KoRoBeNiKi US (Atlantic North)
Lefty US (Atlantic North)
Luigi Sama US (Atlantic North)
Marko US (Atlantic North)
Nintendude1189 US (Atlantic North)
P90curl US (Atlantic North)
PC Chris US (Atlantic North)
pidgezero_one Canada (Ontario)
pwii US (Southwest)
Ray Rocket US (Atlantic North)
Rocky Europe (Sweden)
S2J US (Pacific West)
Seagull US (Atlantic North)
Sensei US (Atlantic North)
SuPeRbOoMfAn Canada (Alberta)
Tedium US (Atlantic North)
THuGz US (Midwest)
Vatgas US (Atlantic South)
Vudujin US (Atlantic North)
What's The Point US (Midwest)
Xaltis US (Atlantic South)
Xiivi (BibleLove2007) US (Midwest)
xivk & Jokaru US (Atlantic North)
Zaatar Manakish US (Atlantic South)
~Tac~ US (Atlantic South)

48 players in counting thinking this may max out soon. GET HYPE!!!

There will be alot of matches to record. Kefit you and JaimeHR should record a few this time as will.
This is the ssb event that you dont wanna miss dont think we will see a turn out like this again in the US as this is the first time I have seen it this big ever.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Ok.

Here is what I will do.

I have an audio mixer, 2 professional mics, and an HD webcam. You can make a nice presentation to record for Apex 2012.

Would you guys like to borrow it?
Thanks for hosting SSB64 at Apex2012.

Not sure if your post here is a troll, or if it would take that equipment away from you or anyone else that wanted/is planning to use it, but...wow, what a generous offer. I would not mind taking you up on it if we had people willing to commentate. Not even sure if us SSB64 players, as a whole, would even like to have commentary on videos(thoughts, anyone?). I, for one, would like commentary because to hear a person or crowd's reactions and commentator descriptions of what is happening live during a tournament match can never be duplicated.

48 players in counting thinking this may max out soon. GET HYPE!!!
Holy **** that is a lot of names. Hopefully there will not be people that do not show up (Harry Ponting @Genesis2?) for this.

I am quite HYPE'd for this event.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I was actually serious. I trust Chain-Ace / Nintendude with my stuff so as long as its good we are good.

BTW its extra equipment I have.

I want to remind people here, this is nothing against you, but this is a side event. Due to that we may have players from those games leave to play the main event matches which we find our TOP priority. I am just letting you guys know so you can understand what we are doing

2 250-300 man tournaments one each day til final 4-8ppl/teams.

Just understand and thank you guys for supporting.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
As much as I would like pools for a SSB64 tourney of this caliber I will not be running pools unless there is actually time set aside for it. Seeing as there's so much being packed into 3 days I don't think that it is unreasonable to not have pools. I think that we can do a very good job of seeding the bracket though. We'll try our absolute best to accurately separate out skill level / region.

As for setups, I think hamburglar alone can bring like 3 or 4 consoles and a bunch of controllers. I don't think we'll have a problem getting to at least 10 setups.

One thing I'd really like to put together is a 2v2 tournament, but it would have to be on the side as some sort of unofficial tournament (maybe Sunday morning?). It could also just be done at the hotel or someone's house on Friday or Saturday night.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Nintendude do not see the people on the pre-reg list and think that is only people coming.

For SSF4 and UMVC3 we have top players like Jago / Noel Brown / Chris G all coming down to play. Those games will have 100 or so that will enter. Just a FYI.

As far as the stream it is set for the Main Games. I will talk about it tonight about having the finals (losers / winners / grand ) on stream at the end of day 2 ( since we will be doing it only to top 8 ) but that is a little stretch.

If you can please come to our apex meeting on skype tonight at 9pm and we can see what can be done.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Ok, thanks for telling me that. I had no clue that those games were actually going to be really big. I'll try to meet you guys on skype tonight.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Can this somehow be worked in for Smash 64? Like instead of MvC3 or SSF4? I know it might come off as selfish to make this kind of request, but I don't see why those games are more deserving than Smash 64 to have a showcased top-8, especially when Smash 64 will be featuring some of the world's best players. I honestly think that more people in attendance would want to watch the top SSB64 matches than the top MvC3 and SSF4 matches.
LMFAO. good joke.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Nah it's serious tho, I would like to see at least 3 sets (winner loser grand) on championship sunday. It would not take much time at all and it would be EXTREMELY hype. Everyone would go nuts.

Top Bottom