• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 SSB64 Event

asianaussie

Smash Hero
what stage were GFs played on

ballin, i remember saying you didn't know when a joke was repeated too many times, this is one of those times

brb starting teams tier list project

firo

Smash Ace
The first set was played solely on Hyrule, and the second set alternated Hyrule/Dreamland. If I remember correctly Boom won one match on Hyrule and all three on Dreamland in the second set. Isai played Link, and Boomfan played Falcon.

I'm curious to think of what everyone will think of Hyrule after these matches are all watched and analyzed. If anything, I think it can initiate a discussion about it.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'm curious to think of what everyone will think of Hyrule after these matches are all watched and analyzed. If anything, I think it can initiate a discussion about it.
People will watch the Isai vs Boom matches and think the stage is not ban worthy. Why? Because they never really camped hard or anything. They put up a great show, but I think the sets could have been played much more defensively.

I've seen a lot of crazy silly **** with the tornado, pretty much changing game outcomes. A ton of rounds on Hyrule were also insanely campy. Kefit vs Sensei was fully Hyrule and probably lasted around 30+ minutes. The 2nd round in my set vs jaloem was a "lawl won't approach cuz I haz the lead + good position" match that might have lasted around 8-12 minutes. There are many other examples and almost everything was recorded.

Don't get me wrong though. Weirdly enough I performed pretty well on Hyrule, much better than I expected. For example vs Kefit it was last stock last hit on Hyrule but got 3-4 stocked on Dreamland.

My best stage is probably Congo, I know a ton of gimmicks on it.

firo

Smash Ace
People will watch the Isai vs Boom matches and think the stage is not ban worthy. Why? Because they never really camped hard or anything. They put up a great show, but I think the sets could have been played much more defensively.
Yeah, by "these matches" I meant all of the videos in general. Camping was an issue, but even more so I felt that the tornado did affect match outcomes. In one of the matches with Jaime and Kefit the tornado was responsible for 3 deaths which is really a big deal. There were also some instances of some off-screen tornadoes causing havoc.

Olikus

Smash Champion
tornadoes are a worse game hazard than most items. hopefully more people will understand that soon.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Can people stop talking about Hyrule here? We'll see and complain once we get the videos.

So I don't think anyone answered, is there a link to a full bracket anywhere?

And good job Boom!

Can't wait to watch all the vids.

Also good job King Funk ^^. You were playing with a n64 controller? Had you ever played with those before? I mean practicing with it.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Also bet on Jaime/Boomfan they got this

Why would they play on emulator?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Congrats to Boomfan, I knew you would win ;P

Hearing how hype it was makes me even more depressed about not going. Gues I'll have to pray for next year to also be a great tournament...

I want to show King Funk that aggression does not suck in 64 :D

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Just got back, and i can honestly say i could not have asked for a more enjoyable weekend.
Everything was hype hype hype.
Grand finals was absolutely nutts. Jamie vs. kefit? totally insane. and nintendude vs firo? wow.
Every match 16 and above was incredible. there reallyy is no exateration in any of the posts youve read so far. There were so many friendlies going on on all three days. Everyone was playing with eachother and having a great time.
On another note, KeroKeroppi Vs. Isai finally happened. I know i've said this before, but i feel like it needs to be said now more than ever.
I was absolutely blown away with the way he played. He is an incredible player and is far superior to me in every aspect of that game. i am extremely sorry to isai and all of you guys for the way i acted back in september. i was completely out of line and shouldent have came off the way i did. please forgive me.
All in all, apex was totally amazing. i had an awesome time and wish more of you could have made it. It was ALOT of fun.

Oh! and lol @ me doing god awful in the actual tornement ahaha.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Hey I'm gonna apologize for the very poor commentating lol. I hope you over ride the first video with music or just smash its the one with isai vs kefit. but man everyone is so good at smash these days.

Isai vs Boom probably one of the most amazing games ever played.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Dude the commentary is going to be full of my screaming and whining so it will be awesome guaranteed. Don't sweat it.

And everyone keeps saying that my match with Jamie was amazing but I barely remember it due to my match with Sensei melting my mind. I guess I'll have to refresh my memory with the videos when they are posted!

:phone:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm finally home and I'm really tired, so before I go to bed I'll just give you some brief teams results:

1. Isai and Nintendude
2. Boom and Jaime
3. Sensei and King Funk
4. Firo and Ownasaurus

Isai and I beat Boom and Jaime 3-1 in winners and 3-2 in grand finals. Sensei / Funk vs. Firowna was a ridiculous down to the wire set. I really want to watch that one again.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Just got home from 8 hours of flying and stuff boy that was fun but off to the good stuff.

THIS WAS THE BEST SMASH BROS TOURNAMENT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO!! I also wish to give thanks to

Alex Strife for hosting one of the bigest SSB tournaments I have been to.
Isai for helping get me and Kefit houseing
SuPeRbOoM for helping find us a driver
Jimmy Joe for driveing us (Thanks so MUCH)
m3gav01t for houseing me and Kefit
Nintendude1189 for being one of the best TO's I have seen
hamburglar for helping Nintendude1189 out

The matches at this where really great to see and I also have a few matches to put up but ill get to that latter and post when done. GGS everyone!!

Sangoku

Smash Master
Aww I was wrong in my predictions :(.

Good job Isai and Nintendude then.

Now I really can't wait for the videos, any idea when the first ones will be uploaded?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
forgot to say

super props to nintendude to running what appears to be the most successful 64 event in recent history, kanto tournament included

wd to sensei for coming back out swinging too

did not think ownasaurus was that good either, so kudos to him

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
damn, this was a very fun tournament. the skill level of everyone was amazing; it was by far the highest of any tournament i've ever been to. i want to thank alex strife for calling in a favor and iRJi for dropping so i could participate, and of course nintendude, hamburglar, and chain ace for organizing this and running things so smoothly.

but wow, so many intense matches. i was literally shaking after my match with valoem. the stuff isai and boom pulled off in the finals was unbelievable. seriously some of the best matches i've ever seen. i'd forgotten how fun this game is. i'd also forgotten how much i damage my thumb, lol. i can't wait for apex 2013.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Hearing how hype it was makes me even more depressed about not going. Gues I'll have to pray for next year to also be a great tournament...
seriously
Aggression does not suck in 64 :D
quoted for truth
I can't wait for apex 2013.
^^^^^^^^^^^^THISSSSS

and shotouts to KingFunk and KoRoBeNiKi for setting and example by adapting like bosses, and playing with an n64 controller.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
This was by far the most smash64 talent i have ever seen at a tournament. firo vs nintendude was soooo epic. not to mention the JaimieHR vs Nintendude and Kefit vs Sensei. I can't wait for the vids to be uploaded so i can rewatch all of it. Clubba, Kero, Jimmyjoe, Khitefox, We all had some great friendlies and I can't wait to get a chance to play you guys again. It does't really need to be said but the boom/isai sets were also some of the most intense matches i've ever seen. TO'ing this tourney was a blast. I met a lot of really cool people and played a lot of intense smash. Thanks to nintendude for co-TO'ing this with me. also, holy crap soon we will have a bunch of epic doubles matches online; something that hasn't happened in toooo long. dtkgjgkjhaegag too much to say about this tournament so i'll stop now.

firo

Smash Ace
There was a lot of good stuff recorded yesterday - teams tourney, a few different 12 character battles, and good friendlies. Also recorded was an extremely strange glitch that Nintendude and I encountered where the game paused and unpaused like every frame, even when no controllers were connected. Very weird.

Even after these three smash-filled days there still ended up being people I wished I had played more. Playing friendlies with Sensei and Nintendude was great fun, and unfortunately I wasn't able to get any matches with King Funk which I do regret.

Apex has been a great experience. I encourage everyone who is thinking about coming to a tournament to make the trip as it was awesome seeing and playing everyone. Let's make Apex 2013 even bigger than Apex 2012!

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait for those vids! I am super sad I had to miss this. Genesis was fun, but Apex sounded epic. Melee grand finals and brawl grand finals left a sour taste in my mouth. No hype. From what I hear 64 will make everything better =)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
List of people that got lucky I didn't go:

1) Boom
2) Isai
3) JaimeHR
4) Kefit
6) Sensei + Nintendude

HEHE, just kidding. Maybe I'll get to play you guys on console someday.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Sheer you live close to Tank? I want to fly out and play with you guys. I am garbage but it will be a worthy excuse to go to Florida.

PS just paid for college classes next semester. Thanks for making me miss Apex.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is Isai

I didn't use Mario. I apologize to all the MARIO FANS. I told someone I'd use DK next time. Maybe it'll be DK/MARIO next time. Of course, once I use all the characters that are not well-represented, I'll just CYCLE through them again and continue my quest to encourage people to play with more characters (jk it's not a quest just something that sounds fun to me) :bee:

Firo impressed me the most; I thought he was just going to be a Kaillera b00b

Singles and teams were both really fun.

I might not have to upload a whole bunch of videos this time :bee:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Sheer you live close to Tank? I want to fly out and play with you guys. I am garbage but it will be a worthy excuse to go to Florida.
You wanna fly to Orlando just to play us??

Sounds expensive. I'm not sure either one of us has any room to house you either. But if you're intent on doing it for some reason we'd certainly love to play you.

Top Bottom