• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APEX 2010 - Event Done | Partial Results up Side events will be posted ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Just wanted to clear up some stuff regarding the seeding people are complaining about...

I heard people are saying things about the skill levels in the Tio file being completely off, like some mediocre people being 8 skill while mad good people are 5, but the reason is: I made r1 pools on Wednesday two days before the tourney, and used skill level seeding. A LOT of people signed up late on Thursday and Friday, and there was a lot of problems with registration. Anyone added late I didn't bother changing the skill because I changed the pools manually so it's w/e. Then when people checked it they didn't know what was going on and thought stuff was done differently.

As for some of the **** pools in round 2 and some easy ones, a lot of it had to do with player's round 1 results, which is completely their fault. Some players you would expect to be higher - In round 1 Holy got 2nd seed losing to Eggz, Boss got third seed losing to Kira and Ling Ling, Brood got 2nd seed losing to myself, Dazwa got 2nd seed losing to cable, UltimateRazer got 2nd seed losing to Coney, Shadow got 2nd losing to MintyFlesh, and a lot more.
So mad good people that you would expect to get first seed didn't because of upsets, and the players that beat them ended up getting first that people didn't expect to make some pools easier. People should be stepping up their pool 1 performance!

HugS™

Smash Lord
Like I said, everytime we have foreigners, we have some ridiculous reports about how much better they are than the Americans. Then the tournament goes down and they never make top 3 (cept armada).

Good job on beating rain Larry

And not to brawl bash, but you should expect this kind of inconsistency in brawl results, Chibo. Take charge of your role and make decisions, put the upset 3rd seeder with a 1st seeder that snuck by. Own your role.

Foxy

Smash Master
This is an issue that's discussed a lot and should be recognized more, and I could tell it was happening by the pools (and that it wasn't Chibo's fault).

In major tournaments, top players tend to do 2 things in pools:

1. Help our friends
2. Sandbag/play casually for lower seeds

Both of these wreck seeding, lead to elimination of some great players much earlier than necessary, and just mess with the entire tournament. Whether the low seed is leading to a 2nd pools round or the bracket, it always causes a train wreck in whatever area it happens, can ruin some players' tournament experience by being knocked out in a death pool or bracket... and so on.

I know that all sounds really morbid, it's just choice of words, and I'm certainly not accusing anyone from this tournament yet of either (from hearsay Ally is guilty of #1, but I really don't want to make a comment on it when I've just seen it mentioned in posts). Obviously a LOT of top players didn't do so well in Round 1, but it would be cruel to assume that they were attempting to screw with the seeding if they were just having a bad day, and even worse to say they were sandbagging and take away all credit from the player who was the underdog and managed to upset them.

So for now, no blame... but for one reason or another, these things happened a lot in the Apex Brawl pools (although luckily, they seem to be better for R2, meaning a smoother bracket).

Silly stuff dudes

EDIT: Hugs... not really sure what you mean - before Genesis (the first international in a while), Europe had HOPE, but no reports of ridiculous skill. People were hyped but I remember nobody giving even Armada top 5, few even gave him top 12. At Pound 4, Armada and Amsah were only judged to be so likely to win based on Armada as a comparison point. For Apex, nobody said the Japenese were going to win, or gave them ridiculous skill levels - a lot of people, again, were very hyped and very hopeful, but realistically we all had to wait and see, and from pre-tournament reports from friendlies, they said that they were very good players (which we have all witnessed as well, as they're making it to bracket)... but why take that down? Nobody expected Japan or Europe to win, and they aren't, we all found them to be pretty good, and they are.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Yes but there were a lot of choices you did bad on and some pools were crazy and some were dumb

Chibo's Pool:
Chibo, Suyion(Japanese Diddy), Jerm, Remix, Prawn, and Dr. Grandpa

vs

DEHF's Pool
DEHF, Rain, Shadow, Dazwa, Seph, and Rust!?

there were a lot more but i can't post it fully since I don't remember a few members of the pools

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
I 2-0'd everyone in both pools except doom, I 2-1'd him and the game I lost is when I Mk dittoed him

June, me, chu, coney got 1st seed
meep didn't make it out
boss got 3rd seed

stingers

Smash Obsessed
it wasn't rust it was shado (md/va sonic)

but yeah "technically" all 1/2/3 seeds were equal and each pool got an equal amount of 1/2/3 seeds so. all chibo was supposed to do was make sure people that play each other often weren't in the same pool and otherwise not mess with the randomly generated pools.

if he didnt do that then he ****ed up.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Yes but he should be able to show some type of smarts by looking at the pools and how difficult they are. Obviously something happened how his pool has amazingly easy compared to some >_>

stingers

Smash Obsessed
@xzax: you can't do that when creating round 2 pools. you should base them completely off round 1 results (and location). anything else would be biased.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
why not? you have 2 first seeds, 2 second seeds, and 2 third seeds, and none of the players in that pool played each other on a regular basis.

would you have rather the pools been made by results from round 1 pools, or results from round 1 pools + chibosempai's opinion of your skill level?

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Round 1 was biased..completely as matter of fact. You need to have some opinion put into it or anyone could make pools....there should of be a reason Chibo was involved instead of smash33434

stingers

Smash Obsessed
round 1 pools are always biased since there's no national ranking system lol. you have to play those by ear, theres no other way.

round 2 pools are different. (as is bracket). there is no reason for subjectivity and bias when there is an objective and unbiased method available.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I think, with two rounds of pools, you can just randomly seed the next pools by the seeds, since that is what seeds are for.

However, you can also go in and manually fix things that most would consider wrong, that random seeding finds right, as long as you trade by seed. You can have M2K and Ally in the same second round pool since they would both just be 1st seeds, and second round pools have two 1st seeds. But pretty much anyone would notice the flaw with this and change it. As long as you switch only by trading seeds, you aren't changing anything seed-wise.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
I understand this but so say if Ally got 1st as did DEHF and Mew2King and Rain got 2nd and Shadow and Sk92 got 3rd and tio made that a pool that would be acceptable? There needs to be some input in it or some people get an easy ride into brackets as top players who maybe got had a harder first round

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I understand this but so say if Ally got 1st as did DEHF and Mew2King and Rain got 2nd and Shadow and Sk92 got 3rd and tio made that a pool that would be acceptable? There needs to be some input in it or some people get an easy ride into brackets as top players who maybe got had a harder first round
lol I think the smash community's tendencies to cater towards top players is a huge problem...if shadow and sk92 ****ed up and got 3rd seeds then that is their own problem. i don't see any reason to stray from complete randomization (except to switch out people for location reasons). but that's just me.

I understand this but so say if Person A got 1st as did Person B and Person C and Person D got 2nd and Person E and Person F got 3rd and tio made that a pool that would be acceptable? There needs to be some input in it or some people get an easy ride into brackets as top players who maybe got had a harder first round
yes that sounds quite acceptable

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
lol I think the smash community's tendencies to cater towards top players is a huge problem...if shadow and sk92 ****ed up and got 3rd seeds then that is their own problem. i don't see any reason to stray from complete randomization (except to switch out people for location reasons). but that's just me.

yes that sounds quite acceptable
chibo dropped the ball. If this is going to be a huge tourney like this then you need to seed it better. Theres no reason the two best falco mains should meet in pools. Then when you factor the guy who made the bracket then you look at his pool its like really? Also good players shouldn't get knocked out cuz of ridicule brackets and mediocre players skate through. That water downs the competition and doesn't factor in peoples travel. Anyways i'm surprised chibo didn't get stolen.

Hael Phael

Smash Ace

I wholeheartedly agree with keeping it random when you can that way no one can say you fixed it

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
the thing people fail to understand is that chibo was in tourney. chibo mad pools. chibo pool weal other pools strong. thats a pretty strange coincedence. If i do say so myself. Nothing good comes from doing things randomly.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like Chipo pulled a Plank @P4.

Except he didn't make it out.

Edit:

I doubt M2k entered melee singles. The stream just got trolled.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Skill can not be 100% catered to in r2 of pools. Many more things are more important.
1. Their r1 seed
2. If they played someone in r1 already
3. Same state/area

Those three things are more important (and based on hard facts not opinion like skill level) and those three requisites restrict A LOT of things. Here's the thing, accorfding to those 3 things it was perfect.

I didn't even make the r2 pools on my own, it was Chaos Marth and I. I did however primarily make r1 pools on my own but there was nothing wrong there more or less. If I had fixed my r2 pool, wouldnt it have been smart to fix it to where I would have made it out?

People really cant complain about top players being in hard pools if they dont get first seed, its their fault as r1 results precede all other factors going into r2. Also, as what was mentioned before in this thread are whos to say who the top players are per se? If thats the case they should have gotten first seed no problem. If someone thats not a "top player" pulls an upset to everyone its "just a fluke" and they still deserve rough seeding...

Processed used for making pools:
R1:
-set location for everyone
-Hand picked 42 first seeds, 42 second seeds, and 42 third seeds
-Generated bracket according to skill and then location if possible
-Fixed conflicts (mainly location)
R2:
-Promoted players to a new event
-Fixed conflicts (mainly location)

Simple as that.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
rain
shadow
dehf
dazwa
seph
shadowsonic

wtf is that BS lololololol. theres 3 1st seeds and 2 second seeds.

i beat dazwa but couldnt make it out due to larry and rain -____-

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
I felt bad for blacka since i know him more and co18 is a trashtalker and sooo cocky, its not very my fault its black and jband doing tbh. he'll apologize so i will but w-e lol **** U.S trashtalkers thats my way to pay back ;D
this is our way to pay back

Inui got 3 stocked by swordgard then Inui won 2-1, 3 stocking swordgard right back

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
just re read the last couple of pages. now im really mad and depressed you would actually have shadow dehf rain and dazwa and me in the same pool. god wtf

BUT GOOD **** MAKING IT OUT OF YOUR EASY *** POOL CHIBO ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom