• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another use for Diddy's nuts

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I recently discovered that diddy can catch his own nuts. You simply shoot one without powering it up and instantly dash after it and grab it.
Can anyone see this tecnique becoming part of diddy's gameplay?

A couple of cool things about grabbing your own nuts (no pun intended)
1. When you throw them they go really far in any direction.
2. They can be thrown instantly after fireing your peanut popgun to supprise your opponent.
3. They provide a quick longrange attack.

Timcanpy

Smash Cadet
someone made the same thread some months ago, not really useful, if u have the space to do that, is better pull out some bananas or shot more than one peanut, or just make pressure.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I can name at least ten things that AREN'T cool about grabbing your own nuts. Please, call them peanuts. There is no reason you can't.
No, it is entirely necessary to retain the double meaning.

EDIT:
Also, this is known. But thanks for the refresher :)

brinboy789

Smash Champion
title : lol

diddys nuts do like 2 damage, have absolutely NO knockback. its like falcos laser without the convenience of fast spam and less damage. diddys nuts = fail. why catch his nuts when you can spam bananas?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
title : lol

diddys nuts do like 2 damage, have absolutely NO knockback. its like falcos laser without the convenience of fast spam and less damage. diddys nuts = fail. why catch his nuts when you can spam bananas?
Actually, uncharged popgun shots do 4-5% depending on decay; catching your own peanut and then manually throwing it on the other hand actually alters both its damage and trajectory properties. I haven't tested it extensively but I have seen it do 8% damage before. It's also worth pointing out that the fact that peanuts have absolutely no knock-back properties in any direction coupled with its nearly nonexistent hit-stun are what make it such a valuable gimping tool against off-stage opponents. Unlike bananas (which has a longer hit-stun and causes a slight upward lift when opponents are hit with them off-stage), they will cancel all of an opponent's recovery momentum dead in its tracks and give the opponent all but a small window of time to react.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Like everyone said... if you have the time to do that, you should rather take out two bananas. The peanut's not worth it, sadly. Diddy should have two popguns though, then they would be somewhat spamable. It's really sad they didn't do that.

Mizar

Smash Ace
But you can glide toss the nuts and recover a whooping 2% right? ;D

I suddenly realized how painful it must be to throw away your own nuts. >_>

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Most opponents won't see this coming, given the neglected nature of the popgun. The grabbing of your own nuts is a mindgame at best.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
unless u can eat the peanut after using it then I really dnt see any use of it.
Yeah, I've already checked that, and it seems the only way to get the peanut out of the shell is first of all the item food has to be on, secondly you need to fire the peanut and thirdly someone else has to attack it. lame.
But as i said I've already tested it, I shot it, grabbed it and tried to break it/ throw it up and attack it and it didn't work. Diddy either grabs it again or misses it entirely. :(
Unless someone else knows of a way to break open the nut without the aid of someone else, I can't see the healing properties of the humble peanut being very usefull.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
yeah its best use is for starting up an approach or for gimping
but chasing a peanut for that?
eh

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've already checked that, and it seems the only way to get the peanut out of the shell is first of all the item food has to be on, secondly you need to fire the peanut and thirdly someone else has to attack it. lame.
But as i said I've already tested it, I shot it, grabbed it and tried to break it/ throw it up and attack it and it didn't work. Diddy either grabs it again or misses it entirely. :(
Unless someone else knows of a way to break open the nut without the aid of someone else, I can't see the healing properties of the humble peanut being very usefull.
actually the peanut will still come out of the shell even if all items including food are turned off, thats how me and my friends play and the nuts will still come out occasionally

but yeah definitely not a miraculous healing tool

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Thanks Donkey Bong for clearing that up.

Ok, so I see that it seems pointless to try and catch the nut, but what if you got so good at it you could do it every time? (Can anyone do that?) Would it still be a waste of time? What about for edgegaurding?
(so many questions)

K.G.

Smash Apprentice
umm u will probably be better off jus shooting it that way u can shoot the pop gun with different trajectery(pretty sure I spelled that wrong lol) cutting off their alternate routes to recovery and forcing them to go where u want them.

Luigi player

Smash Master
actually the peanut will still come out of the shell even if all items including food are turned off, thats how me and my friends play and the nuts will still come out occasionally

but yeah definitely not a miraculous healing tool
No.

I tested it too and Fox Is Openly Deceptive is right. If the food items are on they will come out, even you have items set to "none".

They will NEVER come out if the food item is turned off...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No.

I tested it too and Fox Is Openly Deceptive is right. If the food items are on they will come out, even you have items set to "none".

They will NEVER come out if the food item is turned off...
Agreed. However, perhaps a newb question, but which do tounries set it to, none or all off? (Other food items like G&W's 7 hammer won't appear either if food is off, though you probably all figured as much.)

DUB

Smash Lord
Agreed. However, perhaps a newb question, but which do tounries set it to, none or all off? (Other food items like G&W's 7 hammer won't appear either if food is off, though you probably all figured as much.)

Tournies turn everything even related to items off.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
All right. Thanks for the info. I actually would have thought they'd keep it on but just set items to none, so it didn't interfere with normal moves. Guess I was wrong.

smaci92

Smash Lord

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Well it's good to know I'm right.
I don't normally play with any type of healing items on but just quickly, Is it worth having food items on (me being diddy) just so you can eat your nuts? 2% seems to not be enough.
And, is it realy just a dissadvantage? Because I would have thought that if your opponent is able to attack and break the nut, that he would be much more likely to get to eat it first. I mean he attacks, the nut falls at his feet, What next? Can someone with experience playing with food items on tell me all of the above?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
In most tournament settings, Items are usually set to none, but more importantly, the frequency is set to 0.

If you were to set the frequency on anything other than 0, other characters would be affected too. (Like Dedede throwing capsules and Smash Balls).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
In most tournament settings, Items are usually set to none, but more importantly, the frequency is set to 0.

If you were to set the frequency on anything other than 0, other characters would be affected too. (Like Dedede throwing capsules and Smash Balls).
Wait.... D3 throws smash balls? I've never seen him do that... I've seen him throw capsules with smash balls inside, but never just a smash ball.

But yeah, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
D3 can throw items if the frequency is none but the items are still turn on. This is true for any character that can produce items with the exceptions for Peach. So, that means Diddy can create edible peanuts by having frequency at none but food turned on and GW can create food by getting a 7 with frequency at none but, again, food turned on. Peach will always be able to pull out a bomb/beamsword/mr saturn regardless of what the item settings are.

Tournaments are set to frequency none and all items are turned off.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't normally play with any type of healing items on but just quickly, Is it worth having food items on (me being diddy) just so you can eat your nuts? 2% seems to not be enough.
And, is it realy just a dissadvantage? Because I would have thought that if your opponent is able to attack and break the nut, that he would be much more likely to get to eat it first. I mean he attacks, the nut falls at his feet, What next? Can someone with experience playing with food items on tell me all of the above?
Thats right I quoted myself. Can anyone tell me?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
we have frequency 0 and we have all items turned off. nuts still come out. same for the apples w/ G&W.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
But you can glide toss the nuts and recover a whooping 2% right? ;D

I suddenly realized how painful it must be to throw away your own nuts. >_>
Are you sure about that? 2% is a drop in the ocean, but that's what the ocean's made of you know.

Top Bottom