• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another look at Dair

__V

Smash Journeyman
Down Aerial
Damage: 10%
Lagless: No
It sucks. Sheik pauses in the air, then shoots down. It's her only aerial that has a laggy startup and laggy landing. A hit pops them up into the air, too, so it's pretty much useless for edgeguarding with.
This attack is actually quite useful in certain situations that I didn't see listed.

Example: I hit a Meta-Knight out of their up+B with Dair and it slammed them over the top of the stage.

It seems to me that this attack would be useful against certain characters:

Lucario
Jiggs
Meta-Knight
Dedede
Kirby
Pit
Ganondorf

Another use would be fast-falling away from MK. It also breaks MK's Tornado.

I'm not saying that Dair is an awesome move. I'm saying that it's totally underrated and still has uses. Just not near the ground.

ADHD

Smash Hero
If you want to be for idiots making the most retarted move in the game, go ahead.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
The dair does have it's uses but it's not useful.

It just a attack you pretty much never use and mainly only connects when your opponent forgets about it.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
The only use i see for Dair is to break snakes usmash missile and even if that works i still have a tilt to worry about so i don't think that move really has a purpose.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Actually, I find her Dair to be useful at the right times. Now, I realize that the right time is only in about 1 out of every 5 matches, but hey, it still works. When I use it, it's for the fact that it delays her falling for a second, so if someone's running under me when I'm falling hoping to get in an Up Smash, or tries to spot dodge especting a Nair, I'll just use her Dair because of the fact that it keeps you in place for a second, and it lasts long enough to hit after your opponent's attack/dodge is finnished.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The dair does have it's uses but it's not useful.

It just a attack you pretty much never use and mainly only connects when your opponent forgets about it.
As true as that is, your opponents will almost ALWAYS forget about it. Is it Sheik's worst move? Yes. Are there moments when it is useful? Yes.

The air stall is so useful because no one ever ever ever thinks, wait, hmm, what if she stalls in the air and then comes down?

It does trump snake's mortars, but i'm sad to say that a fast falled nair will do it just as well and leave you with options.

I do like to offer the random tidbit that Dair beats Olimar's upsmash. (In a hilarious fashion).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
if your opponent is in the air and you are above them, then a lot of times the risk is low in using this move, unless you are falling on a toon link uair or something

don't risk using the move if your opponent is on the ground though

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
How is the priority on Sheik's D-Air? Any good comparisons? It does have its uses. My favorite is when I'm knocked very high above the stage, I wait for the right height, then use it to come down and auto-sweetspot the edge. Works wonders :)

Villi

Smash Lord
Hm, maybe you could use it like Ganon and punish obvious set-ups with it. Double jump, dair. Doesn't have quite the priority of wizard foot, but it could work.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
it would have more uses if there was l cancelling *tear*. l cancel is heavily missed by my fingers, i need a moment....................ok but i never thought of auto grabbing the ledge with it i always tether i might try that to mix things up.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Just letting you guys know the dair can hit people off the ledge even if your facing the opposite direction and that in the mid to high percents it does a decent job setting people up for a follow up attack.

My favorite way of using it is for recovery though, dair to tether to jump from ledge is soo fluent.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
As said, the Dair does have uses... but it's not that versatile. One of my personal favorites is to Dair someone who's trying to attack me from below because the stall-then-fall throws off the timing of their attack. It's a very high-risk maneuver, though.

Against someone who likes to spot dodge, using a SH-Dair can very well hit them out of it if their character's spot dodge is short due to Dair's constant hitbox (compared to Dsmash which has holes which can be blockable even vs. spot dodge). As far as people with longer lasting spot dodges, they eat chain locks easily.

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
I see it useful when your high up in the air and your opponent is going up to hit you, I will just dair to get back to the ground as fast as possible.

demodemo

Smash Ace
cool **** with dair

dair after being tornado'd

at lower percentages, dthrow sh/fh dair looks cool lol but can be airdodged out of iirc

dair's priority is really good for an attack with a hitbox that lasts so long

__V

Smash Journeyman
Just found out that it breaks Mach Whornado. Added to first post.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
we have to admit, as far as moves go, it is definitely a bad mood. But you can find excuses to use it.

@Rave925: You can do that, but most people agree it's better to just fastfall. It keeps your options open. To each his own though.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Sonics use their Dair as an edgeguard to very, VERY effective extents. If you haven't fought a Sonic that gimps your recovery by Dairing into an UpB, then you're not playing a pro Sonic.

Sheik can do this to.

Double jump off the stage, Dair, and keep pressing UpB. With this, Sheik will always make it to the edge if you have good directionality. What's the little benefit that Sheik has that Sonic doesn't? UpB damage. You'll hit them with the Dair, screwing up their second jump (that's what a good Sonic does), and then you'll have the chance of the UpB explosion hitting them afterwards if they weren't knocked too far or if they luckily UpB'd into your explosion. On top of that, you'll end the whole thing in an edgehog, every time. Sheik's UpB is one of her strongest moves, too, so... hitting with it could be a kill on it's own depending on percentage.

So it's got uses, like Sonic's. It's not as useless on the edge as ZSS's, because ZSS WILL die pretty much every time. Sheik, though, can easily recover from a DJ off edge Dair into an UpB, so it makes the move way more viable.

Sonic's Dair into UpB is one of his best gimping tools. I'm not saying Sheik's is on par, but it is something we shouldn't ignore.

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
umm... but sonics up b has extremely useful vertical recovery while sheiks is quite limited and slow compared to sonics thus what you are saying is actually quite dangers if missed and a potential self destruct

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
You could just jump once then D-air off stage. Then you have the second jump and Vanish. I'm pretty sure that you can get to the stage, not the ledge, with that.

__V

Smash Journeyman
umm... but sonics up b has extremely useful vertical recovery while sheiks is quite limited and slow compared to sonics thus what you are saying is actually quite dangers if missed and a potential self destruct
Sheik's recovery stalls her in the air. Why would speed matter?

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
let's look at it this way:

"yay i'm recovering back to the stage OH MY GOD sheik is flying down at me omgomg OMG i've been propped up straight towards the ledge SHEIK is trying to make it back with vanish *grabs ledge* ZOMG sheik just got edgehogged!!"

if sheik tries to recover with the chain rather than vanish, your opponent just uses the upb they recently re-acquired to get back onto the stage.

honestly, it's better just to edgeguard with sheik's bair or fair... or just straight-up vanish. dair just adds the possibility of a few extra %'s and a much greater chance of SD. it even props the enemy UPWARDS, where recovering is even easier.

i've tried this "technique" before, and it never really worked well for me. b/fair FTW.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Once while playing against a Wario on FD, I use FH Dair off the stage as an edgeguard. I hit Wario through his b-up which seemingly has a TON of priority. It ended up as a stage spike. I was able to recover afterwards too. I guess dair can work as an edgeguard if your other aerials don't have enough priority. You can probably set this up with traditional edgeguarding also. I didn't try it again because I kept telling myself it was just a mindgame, he wouldn't fall for it again. Meh, I'll play with it more.

Top Bottom