• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Can you elaborate on the acronym? O_o
Just now seen this post O.o...

FMP = Full Metal Panic

FUMOFFU is just that. It's a side story to the parent series Full Metal Panic. It's on a more comedic take on the lead hero's antics. He's so oblivious to mainstream society due to his entire life being spent in the military.

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu

I do suggest reading the main series first to get a better understanding of what's going on though.

Full Metal Panic

MetroidMaster1

Smash Apprentice
My favourite anime is Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Except that Avatar isn't considered an anime ....

The best anime will always be One Piece
Either that or Dragonball Z, not GT, not Dragonball, not EX, not Kai, just Dragonball Z :)
Though Dragonball does have it's moments <3

*remembers laughing his *** off at Goku patting bulma in her sleep to see if she has balls and freaking out cause she didn't*

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
While Avatar is American, I think it can be put in the category of anime. It works well enough I think.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I know that. And its the similar art style and storyline that allows me to let Avatar slide into the anime category if someone wants it to. It's close enough like I said.

MetroidMaster1

Smash Apprentice
Avatar should be considered Pseudo anime, same for Code Lyoko, though that's a french anime (super repetitive plot, but still decent mind you) I always considered it as such.

There should be a Pseudo anime category for stuff like this, cause there's tons of shows that fit the anime style but don't count completely just cause they aren't a product of japan.

On the subject of animes of interest, who do you guys prefer voice actor wise, the dub or the subbed actors?

For naruto it's a mix of both, like I like the japanese Kakashi and pretty much everyone else, but in the dub I like Kisame, Sakura, Orochimaru, Jiraya and Tsunade better. Sasuke is okay in both but I really didn't like him that much to begin with >_>

Why the hell did they bother to add Naruto as a Pre-title for Shippuden when about three fourths of the plot is all about sasuke....

Kishimoto Logic, it's almost as confusing as Miyamoto logic... *facepalm*

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I actually really liked Code Lyoko. I watched that back when I was in middle school and thought it was the bee's knees.

As for voice acting, it depends. I watched stuff like Clannad, Kanon, Lucky Star (derp) subbed. I watched Death Note, Ouran, and Studio Ghibli movies dubbed. It just depends on if the english voice actors can put enough emotion/authenticity into it. I'd say if you're going to watch a new anime, watch clips on youtube of both and see which one sounds better.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Code Lyoko reminds me of when Miguzi replaced Toonami as the weekday afternoon block (hated that **** BTW, only watched it for Teen Titans)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Just finished Rosario+vampire o.O I don't normally like harem anime but it was pretty good. Just started HOTD. not sure why people didn't like it it's good though it does admittedly seem to rip off quite a bit from other similar stories

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Rosario Vampire was good enough to make it to the end, but the repition of the episode formula got old fast. High School of the Dead is definitely better. Too bad the anime ended in the middle of the story because they were too quick to start the adaption.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think I've watched a reverse harem before. Ouran High School Host Academy ring a bell to anyone?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It's on my to-watch list. Harem anime is basically 1 male main character with tons of chick characters all vying for his attention. In Rosario they got added one at time episode to episode up to like, 5 (not to mention 2 of the girl's moms, some of the teachers, lol ridiculous).

Not sure what a reverse harem would be. You mean like, a girl surrounded by guys? Or a guy is repels multiple girls? lol REAL LIFE YOU MEAN!?!? ... >.>

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What is harem anime?
Anything by Ken Akamatsu.

As for subbed vs dubbed, it depends entirely on the anime.

Cowboy Bebop = dubbed
Outlaw Star = dubbed
Princess Mononoke = dubbed
Ghost in the Shell = dubbed
Evangelion = subbed
Ghibli movies = subbed
Rhaxephon = subbed
Last Exile = subbed

I prefer subbed over dubbed.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Ghibli films subbed? The dubs already seemed really good other than the fact that children have some incessant need to yell all the time. I'll have to watch Howl's subbed sometime soon.

But yeah, I prefer subbed over dubbed in most cases.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
anything by ken akamatsu is instantly amazing (in manga form, at least)

the only harem i've actively enjoyed watching is like, shuffle of something, assuming stuff like key's works don't count

as for dubbed vs. subbed i agree with venus' list, however i don't mind dbz, naruto and full metal alchemist dubbed either. i might be biased because i grew up watching those in dubbed though

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I prefer dubbed but there's definitely something to be said about the accuracy of translations between subbed and dubbed. As far back as I can remember they're always just slightly different. Ninja Scroll was probably the first I saw first dubbed then when I bought it, it was the subbed version and I was like "woah, half these lines are totally different!" In some cases the meaning is entirely different, changing the scope of the scene in ways that otherwise you'd not notice.

What's really fun but confusing is to watch a dubbed anime with the original English subs in them, so you can hear one version while reading another.

Ah well, one day I'll learn Japanese and it'll be moot.

Meanwhile, I finished HOTD. I'm with holder - yet another anime that was brought to the TV way too quickly! It's a total cliffhanger, and what's more, apparently the series was unpopular in Japan, and the Manga writer is sick, and basically there's no hope it'll ever continue ><

SO now I have start Angel Beats! (and so far it's pretty damn cool)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ghibli films subbed? The dubs already seemed really good other than the fact that children have some incessant need to yell all the time. I'll have to watch Howl's subbed sometime soon.

But yeah, I prefer subbed over dubbed in most cases.
Princess Mononoke is the only Ghibili movie I like dubbed. I prefer subbed for all the other movies.

Ah well, one day I'll learn Japanese and it'll be moot.
While I am not trying to be a downer, it'll take you quite some time to be able to watch anime and understand the story and character without English subtitles. I've been studying the language for 5 years and I can catch 50-60% of the dialogue unaided by subtitles and actually understand what is going on. Even for a show I have seen in English, it's hard to understand.

I am not trying to be a downer but learning Japanese to watch anime without subtitles is is a lot harder than it sounds.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Only Anime I actually finished last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8f2cUzIhMo

Made for a nice change of pace, being a little bit more cheerful than most anime. Which is funny, because...

Tried to get into Deadman Wonderland and Mirai Nikki recently. MN I dropped after the third episode. Deadman Wonderland I remember being better when I read it in 2008, now I can't stand watching it.

Top Bottom