• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Link to original post: [drupal=5113]Anime[/drupal]

I don't watch it much, but damn does it send my emotions for a roller-coaster ride. I don't know if it's really good for me since I'm a fairly sensitive guy and some of these shows leave me depressed for a mildly substantial period of time, but I just love them when I do get around to watching one.

Well, that's all I wanted to say.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You know deep down you get kicks out of crying your eyes out.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
If you wanna get ****ed in the head and cry yourself to sleep at night, watch Ano Hi Mita No Namae Wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. I rarely cry or become emotional during an anime, but this one did it for it me. It was pretty good.

As for anime, I sometimes will watch a lot of anime and there will be times where I hardly watch any. It fluctuates but I am currently watching less and less but I attribute that to less and less free time. As well, I prefer manga much more than anime personally; or comic books in general.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ano Hi Mi-****ing what now?
Haha right? That's what I thought when I first heard it.

Actually I f'ed up on the title. It's actually: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Name wo Bokutachi wo Mada Shiranai. I think it means: "We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw that Day" but I don't feel like looking up the actual translation. I think "Ano Hi" suffices for now lol.

Regardless, it's a pretty good anime and fairly popular here. I've seen it advertised a lot in video rental stores and anime stores and my students have heard/seen it.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
O MAI GAWD R U JAPANESE??!?!?!? XD XD XD

KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I pronounce it Kawai because I don't know that's actually the name of a piano manufacturer LOL

It's actually: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Name wo Bokutachi wo Mada Shiranai. I think it means: "We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw that Day" but I don't feel like looking up the actual translation. I think "Ano Hi" suffices for now lol.
OH IT'S SO ****ING ARTISTIC AND DEEP BECAUSE IT MENTIONS THE PAST AND ~GASP~ A FLOWER!!1!

ANIME IS REALLY DEEP IT CHANGES MY PERSPECTIVE ON LIFE AND FLOWERS BECAUSE FLOWERS REPRESENT LIFE and LOVE and PEACE

ALSO THE MAIN CHARACTER MUST BE JUST LIKE ME BECAUSE HE'S DARK AND QUIET AND COMPLEX

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
OH IT'S SO ****ING ARTISTIC AND DEEP BECAUSE IT MENTIONS THE PAST AND ~GASP~ A FLOWER!!1!

ANIME IS REALLY DEEP IT CHANGES MY PERSPECTIVE ON LIFE AND FLOWERS BECAUSE FLOWERS REPRESENT LIFE and LOVE and PEACE

ALSO THE MAIN CHARACTER MUST BE JUST LIKE ME BECAUSE HE'S DARK AND QUIET AND COMPLEX
BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAH.

And people call me a troll. Oh, God.

And no, I am not stating that I agree or disagree with the post I am quoting.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

QFT

I would say my favorite anime is still Last Exile. Very interesting and original story with pretty good animation.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
the only thing sadder than people obsessed with anime/japan are people who try so unbearably hard to rag on anime/anime fans that it just comes off as pathetic contrarian emptiness.

I'm not really big on "anime culture", I only like a handful of series'... but a good anime film is just as enriching and worthful as any "real" movie. Satoshi Kon was one of the greatest modern filmmakers before he passed. That he made anime films should not discount him, because they are extremely well-made emotional films that are close to my heart.

but, the fact that it's Japanese and animated must mean it is **** and couldn't possibly inspire emotion or express high concepts. My mistake.

anyways, I really like Studio Ghibli as I'm sure everyone knows about. Aside from that and Satoshi Kon films, I'm not super well-versed in anime movies. some other ones I liked are The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Mind Game, CAT SOUP, FLCL

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Anime/manga can be a very emotional and rewarding experience for those who invest enough time into watching it fully. Anyone can sit down, pop on a episode, and watch it. However, I believe if you want to fully enjoy and understand a certain series, you have to dedicate time to watching and understanding the story, art, the director, and the main points the anime is making.

The only problem is when a pre-teen or who ever takes a hold of a certain series, watches it, and totally misses the main point of the series and, instead, focuses on one obscure and random point like a dark, cool character or a fake "emotional" response like OBE posted earlier. Many people like a series only because they think it's angtsy and, in turn, it makes them feel angsty. They only focus on one emotional response because it makes them feel different than others.

It lowers the value of the anime and what you take from it. So, crying throughout Grave of the Fireflies is a positive and expected response. However, someone crying throughout the Sasuke and Itachi battle in Naruto is odd, weird, and exactly what some people are saying in this thread.

Maybe I am being a bit to philosophical but that's what I believe. Take it or leave it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
heh it's funny this blog got made cause I just finished Ga-Rei-Zero and it made me feel really sad and I'm still kinda obsessed with the overall emotional impact of it. Many of these stories are tragedies in the classical sense, and borrow heavily from classical art styles, and it just goes to show that a good story is a good story regardless of how it's presented.

As far Ano Hi, wtf, lol is it even in English Dub or Sub or is it straight up Japanese?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
heh it's funny this blog got made cause I just finished Ga-Rei-Zero and it made me feel really sad and I'm still kinda obsessed with the overall emotional impact of it. Many of these stories are tragedies in the classical sense, and borrow heavily from classical art styles, and it just goes to show that a good story is a good story regardless of how it's presented.

As far Ano Hi, wtf, lol is it even in English Dub or Sub or is it straight up Japanese?
There is only subs since it is a fairly new series. Google it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Speaking of recent series, anybody watch some of Bakuman season 2 yet? I want to wait until the season is finished (which is soon) before I start it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
@Venus; well if it's as good as you say then perhaps I will look into it, but my to-watch list is still fairly long. I'm watching Spice and Wolf currently and have like 9 more series after that. THANK YOU NETFLIX!

@Jumpman; which anime were you watching recently that sparked this blog, or was this just in general...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
This was sort of in general. Since you were curious, it was Sora No Otoshimono, but that one wasn't what made me think this so much since this one is mainly a light-hearted show with a somewhat cliche underlying romance plot. But, I'm a sucker for romantic comedies so maybe that's just it.

The ones I was mainly referring to were ones like Clannad, Clannad After Story, and Kanon.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It isn't so much the emotion of some anime or manga, but finishing them fills me temporarily with sad feeling that it is over. You know a story/series is good when it can do that to you.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
People outside the western hemisphere are somewhat more emotionally sincere in general.

Oh definitely.

Americans, especially Californians, are quite emotionally dead.
Seeing through their fake emotional displays is as easy as seeing that Crater Lake is blue.
Disregarding colourblindness.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think I've never once seen a reference to Crater Lake, lol. It is quite a lovely area...

But yeah, hmmm, so there are three ways to categorize anime according to a post in yahoo answers:

By Genre:
1) Action/adventure: martial arts, weapons, battles,etc.
2) Drama: character developments, emotional, relationships
3) Game Based: based on game, card game, or board game such as yu gi oh
4) Horror:darker or supernatural themes
5) Sci Fi: futuristic, science, technology
6) Progressive:extremely stylized art films

By Target Audience:
1)Shojo- young girls
2)Shonen-- young boys
3)Seinen--teenage boys or young male
4)Josei-- young women
5) Kodomo-- children, little kids (hello kitty)

By Theme:
1) Bishojo--beautiful girls
2) Bishonen--pretty guys with girlish beauty.
3)Sentai-- fighting teams
4)Robot/Mecha-- robots machines (gundam)
5)Post-Apocalyptic-- post apocalyptic world
6)Maho Shojo-- magical girl stories
7)Maho Shonen--magical boy stories
8)) Moe--perky, cute, weak, or naive characters
9))Expertise-- sports, arts, cooking, etc.
10))Lolicon-- sexualization of underaged female
11))Shotacon- sexualization of underaged male
12)Harem--- men with lots of women romance
13)Reverse Harem -- female character with lots of men
14)Magical Girlfriend--- one man and a inhuman GF. alien or supernatural
15)Ecchi-- indecent sexuality
16)Hentai--- sexually explicit
17)Yuri or shojo ai---- bisexual or lesbian girls
18)Shonen ai----- gay without sex scenes
19)Yaoi --- Gay with sex scenes

Obviously anime series and movies can involve several combinations of the above - which lends to the uniqueness of the piece. But I suppose the trend you've identified in the OP, Jumpman, would also be evident in several of these individual categories, and moreso evident in specific categories over others. I would also say that anime in general tends to be more depressing than american cartoons. There just seems to be a point in just about every anime I've watched where the main character(s) undergo a serious development that either devastates them emotionally or physically or both, and what they do about it tends to move the story in either a positive or negative emotional direction (whether they overcome their adversity or succumb to it).

I would say overall though that I tend to favor anime that end in catharsis. Though arguably animes with tragic elements do so by design, some do so far more effectively than others. If I don't feel as if it was all worth it at the end (the characters' suffering) then the point has failed.

@Holder; agreed! So many of these series are so darn short! The only one I've seen where I was genuinely okay with it coming to an end has been Murder Princess. That one I felt was a complete story, and though good, I can safely say I don't NEED to see more. This also may be due to the fact that the world itself within the story changed so dramatically during the plot development, and so it ends on more of a final note than most other series which tend to be open-ended.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
if everyone wants an amazing anime to watch it's boku no pico - i'd highly recommend anyone go and download/watch it asap.

on par with any of key's productions (clannad, kanon, air, little busters, etc)

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
if everyone wants an amazing anime to watch it's boku no pico - i'd highly recommend anyone go and download/watch it asap.

on par with any of key's productions (clannad, kanon, air, little busters, etc)
You're a bad person.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Boku no Pico was an amazing anime. I really enjoyed the romance, but the drama became a little too much near the end. :(

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I hate you. I goddamn absolutely hate you for mentioning boku no picAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

---

My friend told me about this and let me tell you, shotacon characters that look they're loli is just something you will regret after realizing what you're actually watching.

Never really liked much of Key's productions. Guess I could say Clannad was okay but eh, I guess it's not my type of show.

I do vastly prefer shows with a very serious and gritty nature with a bit of reality and culture like Cowboy Bebop, but for some reason Gurren Lagann amazed me even though it's exactly like a shonen (which I usually find either average or just plain bad). It just successfully did what was intended, and was a blast watching.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I just saw what Buko no Pico is... My eyes will never be the same.
I know! I'll wash it off by watching some Soul Eater. ;)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Never really liked much of Key's productions. Guess I could say Clannad was okay but eh, I guess it's not my type of show.

I do vastly prefer shows with a very serious and gritty nature with a bit of reality and culture like Cowboy Bebop, but for some reason Gurren Lagann amazed me even though it's exactly like a shonen (which I usually find either average or just plain bad). It just successfully did what was intended, and was a blast watching.
See, now I loved Clannad but couldn't get into Cowboy Bebop. I'm not a fan of those action-y animes, especially if they're a bit older.

Never really considered the action in Bebop to be the main driving point to why I like it though Gurren Lagann is a shonen, so yeah, action is what it's going for. For instance, I have no appreciation for Samurai Champloo which was done in a similiar fashion like Bebop ( same guy made both) save for, 2 episodes. It was really about the superb execution of the setting, story, and most def the characters. I do personally like the seriousness and action of the western series type of show, but how they intergrated the seriousness, the action, the setting story characters, all what makes me appreciate the series as a whole.

:phone:

CrossfadingRage

Smash Apprentice
Good animes:

FLCL
Sekirei
Bravo Girls (Girls Bravo)
ToroDora!
Okamisan and Her Seven Companions
High School of the Dead (HSotD)
KissxSis
School Rumble (something like that)
Fairy Tale
TTGL (Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Gakuen Alice (just started watching but so far I like it)

That's all I can think of for now.

Top Bottom