• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Angel Ring Tech (ART) (7 Videos)

kupo15

Smash Hero
To avoid opening up an old thread that discussed Angel Ring, I decided to turn this thread into one.

Section 1: Angel Ring Technique
Section 2: Good Angel Ring Counters

Section 1: What is ART

We know that if you start the Angel ring on the ground, then you get a slide at the startup. We also know that if you start Angel ring in the air, you don't get this slide when you touch the ground. Angel ring tech (ART) is the combination of these two outcome to produce a more deadly move. The outcome of ART is starting Angel Ring in the air while still getting the slide when touching the ground.

This tech has many names attached to it:
Angel Ring Tech
Angel Ring Pressuring
Angel (Ring) Slide
Angel (Ring) Rush

By Kupo15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adn1ZFyKP50&fmt=18
Angel Ring Slide Comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jC3w28R90&fmt=18
Angel Ring Timing Side by Side video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1gYXFfJ302E&fmt=18
Platform ART
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wgsHlc9DMY&fmt=18
Ledge hop ART
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdqHzN9BdrI&fmt=18

There is an application in my combo vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5T1kdd5teg&fmt=18

By Ryanarius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkzq7kY5GM&fmt=18

Explanation!!

It is 100% timing of where you start the Angel Ring! Because this is 100% timing, as long as you start the AR at the right time, it doesn't matter how many times you mash the B button. Doing that will enable you to sustain the Angel Ring longer to reach the floor.

Also, the timing is different for each of the following jumps. I am very positive that this is the right way.

Short Hop Timing
It is easy with short hops and only requires one B button tap to start AR. The timing for the short hop is this:
Pit should touch the ground around when he says his "HiyiyiYAAAA" the YAAAA part. I guess his annoying voice has a use.
The best way to start learning this is with the short hop and getting the landing and the YAAA to line up. Then adjust from there.

Full Hop Timing
Needs to be confirmed but I think the timing is start the Angel Ring at the same place as the short hop except Pit does a full hop instead.

All Angel Rings MUST be rising ones for the Short hop and Full hop to work

Second Jump and above

Also needs to be confirmed but I think the timing is start the Angel Ring at the moment when Pit's vertical momentum is 0.

Universal Timing
You can do this from ANY jump if the AR is started at the point above the ground as if to do a short hop ART. It MUST be a rising Angel ring.

Platform Timing

This is the only time I found where you can do a falling ART. Timing after you leave the platform. If you do it slightly early, the Spinning swords will glow until you finish the move.

Ledge Hop Timing *new

Perform AR after you drop from the ledge. Just like the other timings, this one can't be too early and should be ever so slightly after dropping down.

Troubleshooting
If you see the small lunge get longer, then you have to start AR slightly later. Keep starting AR slightly later until it happens.

I am certain that this info is correct

Progress of this tech

Press B as you hit the ground. A little bit before you hit the ground. Exactly as you hit the ground. Haven't gotten the exact "when" down yet. Also haven't successfully done it with a short hop once.

Soo uhh here's my theory. I tried it with success at different heights, therefore having nothing to do with auto canceling. I have pressed b at different speeds (doing 3, 4 or 5 times before i land) and done it, so nothing to do with that.

I'm pretty sure that you get the slide when you press b exactly at (or right before, dunno exact timing) the time you hit the ground. I've been doing it this way and done it as much as 5 in a row >_>. someone else try this? (I should try slowing down the speed in training huh?)

Edit: Also has nothing to do with the direction you hold. I tried holding up, down, toward and back. Done it with all directions. Also it seems like the first initial AR has to pass through in order for this to work (I havent done it while starting and already almost hitting the ground)
I have done it without inputing a direction and with only pressing the B button twice so directional input is not needed. I let go of the joystick after initial AR.
EDIT: Figured out the exact timing. If you press B during the little bit where Pit moves forward after landing, he bursts forward.

I still have NOT done it on a short hop, and to my knowledge, he needs to be out of the initial side b to do this. Meaning he has to stop talking. PLEASE show a video if you've done it from a short hop.
BIG DISCOVERY!
I haven't figured it out yet but I have confirmed that pressing the B button at the right time near the floor is NOT the answer. I have just done a short hop AR slide by pressing the B button ONCE!

Statement in progress

-Directional Input is NOT needed
-B Button spam is NOT the cause (only to continue AR)
-Height is NOT a factor
-B sticking or Reverse AR is NOT a factor
-Timing of the B button on the ground is NOT the answer

Section 2: Angel Ring Counters

This move is effective against the following characters:

1. Snake's Usmash
Snakes use this move a lot and if you get them caught in Angel Ring after the shell has been launched, it will hurt them when it comes down because of the Angel Ring's reflective properties

2. ROB's Gyro
If you haven't reflected this move with the Mirror shield when it was released, then using the Angel Ring to slide over the spinning, stationary gyro makes it easily yours. If ROB tries to run up and punish the Angel Ring, the gyro will stop them. It is a bonus if you can get both ROB and the gyro in the Angel Ring at the same time. Then you can pick it up and glide toss it at them.

Any more? Post!

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Well, I'm bored. So I guess that's what I'm doing for now.

EDIT: I've gotten it several times in a row. All from a full jump. I can't get it from a short hop yet. So far, I've gotten this as a momentum thing. Use side b in the air, and hold forward. Then after you move a bit, press backwards. When you hit the ground, you'll zoom forwards. I haven't gotten this out of a short hop yet. I'm currently trying to get it consistently.

EDIT 2: Never mind. Press B as you hit the ground. A little bit before you hit the ground. Exactly as you hit the ground. Haven't gotten the exact "when" down yet. Also haven't successfully done it with a short hop once.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I've always thought this was a random glitch/error. Great find Kupo and Rebel. This actually is a pretty scary approach as Pit. Really easy shield pressure/break and can help rack up a free 10+% really easy.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
rebel do u main pit now?. Ive just recently seen you active in the pit forums.
I'm a wanderer. Still haven't decided who I'm maining. Whoever's the most interesting I guess. Although Pit and Marth are the only characters I've ever brought into a tournament. And Pit's the only one who won a tournament match.

I have confirmed that it is not based on when you release the button. I've also confirmed that you need to press B multiple times before it will happen. After pressing it multiple times (quickly), you can hold B and it will slide forward.

My current theory, full jump, press B as fast as possible. When you're about a Pit's height off the ground, hold B. You will slide forwards. You can then rapidly tap B to continue it. It's either this, or press B at the right time. I can't seem to find the right time though.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I Just did it three times in a row from a short hop. No idea how yet. I just rapidly tapped b, so I think it is a timing thin

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I remember doing that before, but I never got to slide that far before. I'll have to learn how to do it so I can add it to my strategy. Looks like good mindgames if you can perform it all the time.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks and wow, It is great to know that we are on the right track. I have to try this out rebel. I know you have to press it multiple times or else the move stops before Pit touches the ground.
The short hop seems really useful because a short hop still has range to hit people on the ground.
Rebel: Can you send me a video through wifi? I want to see this being done on purpose in a row. I'm going to test it today after the dentist...

EDIT: Has anyone who has been able to magically replicate it have as much slide as the video? All I am getting is tiny lunge.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Oh the tiny lunge is easy, I can get that all the time, But the great slide is still a mystery to me, though like I said formally, I have done it conseculatively.

We need to figure it out, it eats shields to well.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea. So far I have done it again about both times, I did a reverse AR. At least we know that it is repeatable and not a glitch.
Maybe this might jog peoples thoughts by this obvious fact. It appears that we need to find a way to trick the game that Pit is on the ground when AR is started. That way it carries the momentum over to when Pit lands.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
My guess is that what happens is the angel ring is basically finishing then when we hit the ground we press b again to interrupt the finish so it start a ground ar. Could have something to do with the auto cancel I'm just guessing here.

I was able to get it a good bit but not consistently I'll upload the vids as more examples never hurts. I'll link as soon as they are up.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok, Ill put it in the OP as well. I have another Im going to upload. We should get a long archive to help examine it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh try windows movie maker. Also, how do you auto cancel? I never understood the concept of how to do it.

link2702

Smash Champion
I've done this occasionally too before, I definatly wanna learn how to do it everytime, it can prove to be quite effective, hopefully we can figure out how its done....

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think the best application of this would be a ledge hop Angel Ring Slide. (ARS)- that doesn't seem to be a G rated tech nickname ;)

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
Oh try windows movie maker. Also, how do you auto cancel? I never understood the concept of how to do it.
My comp runs vista (I know poor call) and vista's window movie maker can't capture. Auto cancel is basically if you finish an aerial before you land you don't have any landing lag.

Example if you use your dair to close to the ground you'll have a lot of landing lag. But if you use it immediately after the short hop you'll be able to attack after it.

On a side note dair has different amounts of landing lag. Before pit actually swings his sword the dair has little landing lag. When the sword comes out there is a ton of landing lag and after the attack there is none. The lack of landing lag at the beginning of the dair is why it works to cancel a lot of the moves I think.

twilightmystery

Smash Rookie
I may have figured it out unless someone beat me to it. To make Pit slide after his angel ring, just dash, jump, and use the angel ring. Here's the tricky part: you need to tap and hold left the moment before Pit hits the ground. Make sure you don' t hold right and don't smash left, tap it. After Pit uses the move in the air, repeatedly press B and then hold left before Pit touches the ground. Now dont worry because you can tap left still when he touches the ground, so it doesn't have to be exact timing. Pit should slide a little bit if you performed it correctly obviously. This seems easier to do with a short hop than a large jump. I hope this helped. If not, then ask me questions or point out anything if i explained it wrong.

Edit: By right, i mean forward, and left i mean backwards or the opposite direction Pit is facing

link2702

Smash Champion
I may have figured it out unless someone beat me to it. To make Pit slide after his angel ring, just dash, jump, and use the angel ring. Here's the tricky part: you need to tap and hold left the moment before Pit hits the ground. Make sure you don' t hold right and don't smash left, tap it. After Pit uses the move in the air, repeatedly press B and then hold left before Pit touches the ground. Now dont worry because you can tap left still when he touches the ground, so it doesn't have to be exact timing. Pit should slide a little bit if you performed it correctly obviously. This seems easier to do with a short hop than a large jump. I hope this helped. If not, then ask me questions or point out anything if i explained it wrong.

Edit: By right, i mean forward, and left i mean backwards or the opposite direction Pit is facing
hmmm....I may have to try your way, we've gotta learn this trick, I really think this could become very useful for us *runs off to test it*

kupo15

Smash Hero
My comp runs vista (I know poor call) and vista's window movie maker can't capture.
Vista is a bad call. I never want to upgrade...er downgrade. So you are saying that windows movie maker got rid of the "record from device" feature? How could they make a bad program even worse.(compared to Adobe and such) Have both but I like the simplicity of both Windows movie maker and Paint as much as the more complicated ones. Vista does have Paint.....right?

This is a bit confusing. I have tried it without success. Maybe you can post a video of you doing it with the control present.
And when you mean a little bit, do you mean slightly or do you mean the length show in the video. The goal is to connect an AR started in the air with one started on the ground.

twilightmystery

Smash Rookie
okay, i'll try to explain it easier:
1. dash
2. jump while holding forward to keep momentum
3. use angel's ring
4. stop holding his initial direction
5. repeatedly press B
6. a little before Pit hits the ground, tap and hold the direction opposite Pit is facing
7. make sure to keep pressing B while doing step 6
8. Pit will slide!

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok, and you have been able to do this long slide at will? I have done it just now with what you said with a 1/20 chance. The timing must be really precise.

Something I noticed. There is a glow that comes from the swords at the start up of the move no matter where you start it. That same glow happens when you do the slide after touching the ground from falling.
I have been able to get this second glow without a forward slide. I don't know if it was because I tapped back or if it was the tapping B at the right time. twilightmystery, I am not shunning your findings with the backwards tap, I'm just stating this very subjectively considering all possibilities.

twilightmystery

Smash Rookie
thats fine. like i said in my first post, just tell me if there's anything wrong. I've been able to do this repeatedly. I may be telling you the wrong way or there may be another way of doing the slide. I would post a video if i could but all i can do is just trade friend codes and give you the video of pit doing the slide over and over.

Edit: A hint I found out: press the opposite direction the moment before Pit's back leg touches the ground as he does the angel ring. Also it may be that you can press forward OR backwards when he lands, which mean you can jam the control stick in either direction before he touches the ground possibly. I have to do more tests.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Something I noticed. There is a glow that comes from the swords at the start up of the move no matter where you start it. That same glow happens when you do the slide after touching the ground from falling. I have been able to get this second glow without a forward slide
Lol, I was just about to post the same thing

twilightmystery

Smash Rookie
the glow might be the slight occurences during Pit's angel ring where the hitbox increases a bit. I don't know about everyone else, but when you use the attack right next to someone, the ring just nicks them, but eventually, if you keep doing it, the ring will hit the character. Maybe that glow is when this happens?

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Soo uhh here's my theory. I tried it with success at different heights, therfore having nothing to do with auto canceling. I have pressed b at different speeds (doing 3, 4 or 5 times before i land) and done it, so nothing to do with that.

I'm pretty sure that you get the slide when you press b exactly at (or right before, dunno exact timing) the time you hit the ground. I've been doing it this way and done it as much as 5 in a row >_>. someone else try this? (I should try slowing down the speed in training huh?)

Edit: Also has nothing to do with the direction you hold. I tried holding up, down, toward and back. Done it with all directions. Also it seems like the first initial AR has to pass through in order for this to work (I havent done it while starting and already almost hitting the ground)

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have tried slowing it down and it worked the first time. But I am having trouble with the timing after that because it is hit or miss for me right now. I wish I could do 5 in a row. I would very much like to see that! ^_^

the glow might be the slight occurences during Pit's angel ring where the hitbox increases a bit. I don't know about everyone else, but when you use the attack right next to someone, the ring just nicks them, but eventually, if you keep doing it, the ring will hit the character. Maybe that glow is when this happens?
No I dont think so. The glow only appears at those two spots. It never happened while ARing at a standstill.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have done it without inputing a direction and with only pressing the B button twice so directional input is not needed. I let go of the joystick after initial AR.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Ya'll haven't figured this one out yet!? This is the biggest reason why Pit rocks Norfair! This move was designed as I'm sure you all know, to draw Pit forward as a result to the wheel like motion of the attack. The first frames of this attack locate any directional input and reads it as slide distance wanted from this attack. However you can also tap B rapidly for a similar, though somewhat different movement. Hard to explain.

I know all of this is obvious, but the program is actually quite nice. The idea is the startup has the power to pull Pit forward. However as friction and drag from Pit's feet against the ground persists, the pull is quickly diminished. To avoid this move being a great recovery move it's been designed to not register input until Pit touches the ground.

My only issue is this should mean you can only do it once, but it seems that it is possible to "Renew" this move after touching the ground. Meaning you can fall on someone on Norfair's top platforms; push them off the edge; fall with them to the next platform; slide off the edge with them; fall with them to the bottom platform. Odd thing is this is pretty hard to do and I don't know why. Look for it in the next compilation video I make perhaps?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Even if you don't, the DiveBomb is pretty simple. And in the end it's the "FastFall" property that increases Pit's speed the most. Even if you fail it's not a total loss.

Oh and I was calling this the "Raptor Drop" but felt I'd get scoffed on YouTube for giving it a name. So in my sadness I'll scoff at you. ...some other time. ... Loser.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
No credit for me in the first post? I posted everything that has been posted (or at least knew it, I didn't post about the extra ring, but I knew about that). Either way, it seems to be timing. I'm going to try out what UndrDog said on Norfair, and I'll try to get a video. I can get your Wii # and FC from your profile. Get mine and I can send you a video.

EDIT: Figured out the exact timing. If you press B during the little bit where Pit moves forward after landing, he bursts forward.

I still have NOT done it on a short hop, and to my knowledge, he needs to be out of the initial side b to do this. Meaning he has to stop talking. PLEASE show a video if you've done it from a short hop.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Rebel, word of advice. If you don't get it the first time keep at it. I can consistently preform normal landing lunges, however this for some reason gave me troubles when I practiced it the other day. It comes up well in a few of my Matches against Jasona, but in practice it's a lot harder then I initially thought.

Top Bottom