• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Angel Ring Tech (ART) (7 Videos)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Though I will be trying to figure this out in about 10 hours, but does the jump have to be a short jump, or a regular jump?
I can think of so many possibilities in using this in my strategies.
For some reason, I did this before, but I always forget how it happens. Maybe This trick will be the next tech I'll be learning. I'll call it RingDashing, until another name has been given.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
i like the name AR Rush, but i really have no rights to name it since i have no idea how haha, left brawl at my friends house and now havent played in like 4 days, withdrawal is a pain

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Isn't this just a property of the move itself? I mean if you were on the ground and lunged forward it'd be considered normal. What I'm trying to say is I don't think this needs a name as it's just preforming the move correctly. Just a thought.

kupo15

Smash Hero
FYI OP updated. I'm going to test Rebel's theory out. I thought the timing was then but it didn't work which could mean my timing was off.

Undr: Maybe this could be called the Raptor slide ;)

I'm not sure about naming specifics. Lets keep the names going and we all can decide. I'm still trying to do the thing consistently.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
The ring DOES seem to be different though. UndrDog is right that the move seems to be renewing when you land. I think we are getting two separate angel rings when we do this.

Also, going to test the timing again. I've thought the timing was different every time I've done it. Also, on short hop, Pit doesn't get the tiny lunge forwards. I still can't do it from short hop.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If we do get two different angel rings, then how do we activate one while the other is happening? At least we can repeat this once we get the timing down..

Rebel: We should be connected so you can send me the replay footage.

Auto cancel is basically if you finish an aerial before you land you don't have any landing lag.
How is this considered auto cancel? If the move ends before hitting the ground then isn't it just no lag because the move finished? Its just like Link's Dair. If the move is done in the air, then he doesn't lag from pulling the sword out. It doesn't seem like a cancel as if you L (or auto) canceled the Dair to make him pull the sword out faster. :confused:

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Auto-canceling is you haven't finished the move yet. You have say 5 frames left of the attack. But instead of giving you lag for the attack, it cancels off the last 5 frames. It existed in Melee too.

People refer to it differently in Brawl though. Sometimes, for Brawl, the move has just finished. It's just the act of short hopping, not fast falling the attack, and letting it finish on its own.

EDIT: That's what I've already said >_> Pit has to finish the intial animation before you can do it again. After his initial words is the only time he moves forwards on landing. You press B during the move forwards. If the move doesn't exist, you can't do it.

How I would love to have an AR and debug mode right now.

kupo15

Smash Hero
K thanks Thanks!
I think I am getting close. I was able to do it 3 times in a row. What I did was press the B button 3 times throughout the entire full hop. I think it has something to do with pressing the B button around the time Pit lands AS WELL AS timing the first angel ring to finish up around the time Pit lands.
If you see another glow without the movement, then you are close.

If this is correct, then I think this should be considered an AT even though you are only pressing one button. The timing make it an AT.

kupo15

Smash Hero
BIG DISCOVERY!
I haven't figured it out yet but I have confirmed that pressing the B button at the right time near the floor is NOT the answer. I have just done a short hop AR slide by pressing the B button ONCE!

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
BIG DISCOVERY!
I haven't figured it out yet but I have confirmed that pressing the B button at the right time near the floor is NOT the answer. I have just done a short hop AR slide by pressing the B button ONCE!
sure you didn't just press start it a bit late because if you start just above the ground you get the slide. Not pressing the b button pretty much destroys most the working theories.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yes I am positive. This must mean that AR has to be on a certain frame or couple of frames. In order to do this consistently, one must tap the B button at the right time to keep the AR from stopping and so that Pit lands on the said frame. I believe it is possible to be good at this. It is a matter of knowing patterns of when it will work and when it won't.
This is my theory.

I posted a video of the success

I'll call it RingDashing, until another name has been given.
I don't think that name fits well because when I see "dashing" I think of Wingdashing or Wavedashing and this move isn't used in that way. If anyone thinks I'm wrong or has a new name, please post.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I did it while only pressing once as well. I did however RELEASE the b button at some time when I landed now that i think about it.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
kk good... so it's confirmed that either its A) random, or B) having to do with the frame AR is on when landing
pretty sure it's B.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I agree because if it were random, it is highly unlikely that a few of use would be able to do it in a row like we did.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Should've explored more with the timing >_> I thought it could've been that, but then I decided it wasn't. That's why when I press the B button after the lunge, it did it. Good find. How useful this is is indeed questionable, but gonna get the timing to this right at the least.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks! I think it could be useful for ledgehops and stuff. We will see. Since it is timing, I doubt one will be able to chain them together on norfair.

EDIT: I changed my views on how this is performed in the OP.
I also think we need a new name since I believe it can only be done once!!

Rebel581

Smash Champion
On a side note, PLEASE change it from AR. AR stands for Action Replay. This is greatly annoying me every time I look at the topic thread name, as I see Action Replay Renewal. Call it the Angel Burst or Angel Boost. I like Angel Boost better actually. AB doesn't coincide with any other acronyms either.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
AB is my initials, but now that I'm with Pit... well you know.
If Kupo only short-hopped and pressed the B button once, then it may have something with Pit stopping the attack. Maybe just before he stops spinning the Bow, he lands on the ground and might slide. I'm making assumptions that might seem reasonable. When I get back, I will be focusing on this Angel Boost thing.

kupo15

Smash Hero
****The title is still tentative****

AB is my initials, but now that I'm with Pit... well you know.
If Kupo only short-hopped and pressed the B button once, then it may have something with Pit stopping the attack. Maybe just before he stops spinning the Bow, he lands on the ground and might slide. I'm making assumptions that might seem reasonable. When I get back, I will be focusing on this Angel Boost thing.
I'm not sure when you checked the OP, but I changed my findings of how it worked. I originally posted it when I got the short hop down, but it doesn't work for any other falling height.

I am almost positive that it has to do with when the Angel Ring is Started.

The reason I say that is because I have been able to do it from a footstool plus a couple jumps. And you get the same timing problems no matter how high you start from.

twilightmystery

Smash Rookie
I don't think it has to do with the start time because i think i can recreate the slide from any height and at any time

kupo15

Smash Hero
I know what you mean. The video you sent me was contradictory to my theory I think. I have an idea to test it.
But what do you mean exactly when you say from any height? Any jump or any height within a jump?

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
I just did this like four times in a row out of a SH, but it was while the AR was hitting my opponent so it took a really long time to fall. IDK, but it might have something to do with the amount of time you are in the air rather then what hight you start the ring, and mabey their is a reaccuring time frame when this happens.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I don't think you hitting your opponent has anything to do with it. The game has this thing where it slows down when you hit ppl with certain moves. Maybe it is just the lag from so many hitboxs but the timing in the game is the same even though it appears slower. that is what i think
My question, if it isn't because of starting it correctly and it isn't from pressing something when Pit touches the ground, what else could it be?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Maybe, but it can be repeated many times in a row which makes me feel that it is possible to control. But I think this might turn out to be one of those techs that you go for in a match with 95% confidence and if it doesn't work, you just shrug it off.

And Im going to upload a video later showing me doing it multiple times while hitting someone which means that it doesn't matter if you hit someone. Include will also be one from a double jump.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I still believe that this has to do with when you start the Angel Ring but I think timing is different for different jumps. I added my thoughts on full hop timing. I have been able to consistently do both short hop and full hop so I think it is correct. Check the OP.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I could not find a way to determine how i did it. The only thing I know is that every time you slide, the Angel ring has that glow from when you start the attack. That is the only sign i can see from there.
If i start the move just before he hits the ground, he does his original slide from which he would do when he started the move on the ground. Since height does not matter, I'm still going to have to do some tests on this.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
-Height is NOT a factor

I just read the Statement thing (Blue writing somewhere) that mentioned that. Now for some reason, I cannot do it anymore... I must not stop trying this, for this can be vital to countering projectile spammers.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yes height is not a factor but the type of jump you use Does! I am very sure that there are 2 different timings you need to get down. Short Hop/Full Hop and 2nd through 4th jump.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I see that Ring Glow more often from the Full hop rather than the short hop. Still, I cannot do it consecutively. I'm still learning though.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I like the sound of Angel Ring Rush. Angel Ring always slides so rush just sounds better. It rolls right off the tongue.

Top Bottom