• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Angel Ring Tech (ART) (7 Videos)

kupo15

Smash Hero
It has nothing to do with the reversal at all. I'll post some of me doing it while moving forward as well as standing still. I am 100% positive how to do this as stated in the OP because I did it twice in a row in a tourney today against the Gannon in my videos. It was sick!!! I ended up playing my Gannon friend and lost :urg:
But I placed much better than my last tourney.

EDIT:: I like Angel Ring Slide better than Angel Ring Rush but if more people prefer the latter, I'll change it back

EDIT::: I added a video proving that you can perform this while standing. It also attempts to show the timing of the short hop and 2nd-4th hop timing by comparing it to another Pit.

EDIT::: To be honest, I don't like any of the names on the list because they are too cliche. I think Pit should have a cool technique name like Ganon's "Thunder storming". (I don't know the name of his Dair)

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
"EDIT::: I added a video proving that you can perform this while standing."

What do you mean 'while standing'?

Also, my Wingdashing practice went pretty well this weekend. I only got to play for about an hour, but coming in cold, I'd say I progressed pretty well.

If you need more raw footage for the Windash vids, let me know...I can capture video, but I don't have any editing software. I can zip up raw footage and send it your way if you'd like.

As for the AR slide/rush (My vote goes to rush for the name), this is the next thing for me to learn. I played around a little bit this weekend and I think I was waiting too long on the short hop...I waited until the 0 velocity point, which is apparently too late on a short hop. I didn't play much with Full/2nd-4th jumps, though. I'll have to learn the timing for when he 'stops' in midair.

rezen1337

Smash Cadet
I like Angel Rush. Angel Ring Rush sounds too long, soo I feel this suits it a bit more.

Annnyway, is it possible to B-Stick it backwards and then burst forward when you hit the ground?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Absolutely. As long as you start it at the right time, you can do anything.

fantomkitsune: What I mean by standing still is that you don't need to the B reversal. Kown thought that it happened because he saw a vid of me doing it with a B momentum shift. So me saying the "standing still" part was to say that you can just jump and do an Angel Rush.

rezen1337: I agree that Angel Ring .... is long and Angel Rush doesn't sound bad. But I think people will get confused since shortening this tech to AR is the same as Angel ring and Angel Rush. Maybe Angel Boost (AB) or something. Thoughts?

And I added a video proving that it is where you start. Its called Angel Ring Timing Side by Side Video

kupo15

Smash Hero
Sorry for the double post. I ment to edit my last one :urg:

Also, my Wingdashing practice went pretty well this weekend. I only got to play for about an hour, but coming in cold, I'd say I progressed pretty well.

If you need more raw footage for the Windash vids, let me know...I can capture video, but I don't have any editing software. I can zip up raw footage and send it your way if you'd like.
Cool I wouldn't mind seeing it. The only Footage I could use is someone zooming around FD chaining Wingdashes together. Thats really unless someone has captured a moment in the match where it saved their life.
I'll be picky for both vids :)btw

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
think i've got the hang of wing dashing. I can't chain it well yet, but I can WD into any move now for spacing.

Anyways, I prefer Angel Ring Rush. It just flows smoother.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok so we have conflicting opinions about the name. What should we do? Is there a way we can find a name for the technique similar to Ganon's Thunder storming?
Also, maybe just "Angel ...." doesn't specify what move it is for. This is a tough one..

EDIT:: How about Angel Ring Pressuring (ARP)?

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I like angel slide but it'd probably be easist if kupo picks one. Primarily your find so you can name it just don't call it like "angel ring kupo is the best" (arkb) and I'm sure everyone will be fine with your name.

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol, I wouldn't do that ^_^ but I hate making decisions like this :urg: I usually say Angel Ring Slide but I'll have to think about it.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I am a little confused. Isn't this just a normal part of the moves functionality? Does this even require a name? It's kinda like naming Luigi's Tornado something different when you make it rise.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I am a little confused. Isn't this just a normal part of the moves functionality? Does this even require a name? It's kinda like naming Luigi's Tornado something different when you make it rise.
The timing required for it gives me the impression it isn't really intentional aspect of the move. Also its different enough to merit its own name imo (it should have angel ring in it though). I could find it useful to have a separate term for this. For example I think this may be surprisingly useful against zelda as angel ring makes it so zelda can't hit you with dens fire and having the angel ring slide's increased mobility makes it a useful attack.

Although on the flipside judging by all the pit techs I think we may be overzealous in naming move properties.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I don't think this is the way the move was ment to be used so a different name I think is needed. But what about "Angel Ring Tech" Nothing fancy, just another tech using the AR?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I was starting to think no one would catch on to that. Or at least note the pun. ^_^

Rebel581

Smash Champion
As long as it's not AR, I'm fine. I just don't want to be reading Action Replay every time someone mentions this technique...

kupo15

Smash Hero
I caught on Undr ^_^
So is "The Angel Ring Tech" good? (ART) or (TART) or w/e We just refer to it as an "Angel ring" technique.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I cant believe it is taking me this long to learn ART. Well i dont want to rush yet anyways.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I cant believe it is taking me this long to learn ART. Well i dont want to rush yet anyways.
I need to learn the timing on the Angel Ring Tech :(
I can't seem to do it consistently, especially out of short hop.
Yea, getting started by finding the timing is the hard part. I think that the short/full hop and universal timing are the most important

I also added an explanation of what ART is. Silly me I forgot to include that.

Prophesized

Smash Cadet
The name(s) sounded really appealing, and that's what got me to look into what this technique was. I'm finding alot of difficulty in mastering the timing to consistently do this. I've done it at best 2 times in a row. By reading through most of the posts, I tried all of the sorts of theories that were placed, including direction and the "Yaaaa!" part.

What I'm having trouble with is, even though the technique should be coming from the "Yaaaa!" part of the screech that Pit makes, I only seem to be getting the small push. If anyone could, could you please put up a video of the technique showing where you should start pressing the B, along with having the sound of the screech while doing this? I'd really appreciate it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Using angel rings as a counter also works for falling bananas sometimes. I think it might only be right after diddy pulls them out. But i noticed him slip after it went through my rings and i didnt even touch it. It also works for Pika's thunder.

I cant think of anything else at the moment.

kupo15

Smash Hero
So you would like me to make a video of a controller view? How helpful would that be? since for the short hop I am inputing two combinations which can easily be observed by the videos posted in the OP:
jump
Side B (B is pressed once)

The short hop is the foundation of learning this tech. I think that the full/short hop and the universal timing is the most important because they come up often. Good news is that they all have the same timing. It is pretty easy once you know the timing. The hard part is finding it which is an individual thing because timing is hard to teach. The YAAA is just a guideline. The troubleshooting section tells you how to adjust the timing based on the results you see when landing.
As always, feel free to send a reply if you still have trouble or if you can add to the troubleshooting list.
I use it in my combo vid if it helps with application. I messed up on the Dk one unfortunately which was the only one I messed up. All the other angels rings is this tech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5T1kdd5teg

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I did it before in some of my recent matches, but I'm still working on it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Nice, keep trying and soon you will be able to do it at will. Im about at 80%

Prophesized: How are things working out? Do you still need help? The YAAAA is just a guideline for the Shorthop only. Learning the shorthop is the key to everything. Did you still want that video? I am still confused how it would help since you see the timing of the Button represented as the Angel ring on screen

Prophesized

Smash Cadet
Although I don't have it down exactly, I'm getting the hang of it a little more, thanks. I guess requesting a video was stupid of me, sorry for asking for it. I'm really impressed that you can constantly pull this off. It's taken me hours and I'm still not completely down to the perfect timing yet..

kupo15

Smash Hero
Np, glad to hear that you are coming along with this. Even though I am pretty consistent, I still need practice because I get punished when it doesn't work lol Can you see how this is hard to teach? If you have any suggestions on how to improve my explanation, feel free to post ^_^

Ryazan

Smash Ace
The only problem I have with this is that my opponent will often roll under my SH and then they'll be behind me. By the time I can cancel the AR, I'm being punished like no other.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Am I right when I say that the only real advantage to this tech over just using AR on the ground is that the slide is a little longer and the SH might dodge a preemptive attack?

kupo15

Smash Hero
no, you can combo with it and use it for w/e you wanted to use the AR for more effectively, more control, and more confidence. Confidence is based on how sure you are that it will work. I have pulled some sick combos as shown in my combo vid. Particularly the one at 1:00. That is one of my favorite ones.
You can also use it as a great transition from air to ground. Using it correctly will guarantee the combo will continue to the ground from the air. It also looks bad***!!

Overall, it is more versatile than the static one, good for combos, approaches, and surprises

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Gamecube to me. Easier to Glide and control Arrows. I randomly did an ART when i got knocked off the stage, and landed. I really need to learn this now.
EDIT: This was a response to Agent Snop's question. My apologies Kupo.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Im sorry but I am going to have to say that if you want to post about which controller you use, please post in Kown's thread. Admiral Bowser, you are fine because I was going to allow one more person after me since small spamming is ok. I just don't want this convo to go one for a page or something. Thanks!

I also added a new timing

Mythol

Smash Cadet
Hey did you know you can do this right after gliding? It's good for mindgames. For example I always have people trying to get me with an arial smash when I glide because they think I'm going to glide a them(a lot of characters have arials with more range than Pits glide a), but sometimes I quickly hop out of glide and perform an ART ^_^. Timing seems to be the same but it's useful for mindgames sometimes. Hope this helps anyone...unless it's been mentioned

Top Bottom