• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An In-Depth Guide to the Chain :: CHAIN LOCK/CHAIN JACKET inside! (Updated: 7/22/08)

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Wait, so it can't be done from a ledge-jump?
It can be done from a ledge jump, but you have to be close enough to the ground so that you can deploy it in the air so it won't auto-retract upon landing. You can perform the Chain Jacket anytime by initiating the chain at the right moment in the air prior to landing. The timing is much more difficult though as you'd have to eyeball this, short hopping it would definitely make it much easier and is a nice standard to work with.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
any tips on timing? i only get it like 1/100 tries D:

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
StealthSushi, I have made that thread of mine into an all-encompassing Sheik Specials Guide.

As far as I know, you have been quoted and credited for everything that I, for lack of a better term, "totally ripped off from you" :p

Feel free to spam my mailbox with hate-mail if I haven't. :D

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
StealthSushi, I have made that thread of mine into an all-encompassing Sheik Specials Guide.

As far as I know, you have been quoted and credited for everything that I, for lack of a better term, "totally ripped off from you" :p

Feel free to spam my mailbox with hate-mail if I haven't. :D
Heh, dun worry about it :D I like to have things centralized anyways :D I might borrow some of your pictures though to brighten up this thread ^___^

The Star King

Smash Hero
No Vanish jacket for the initial hitbox of vanish? :( It would be awesome to have a fire chain!

tutata

Smash Ace
Im not 100% sure how to do it, so lets say
1) c stick left for the smash
2) sh then a little after the top of your jump use forward-b
3)see dust come out near the shoulder
4)hear some kind of low pitch sound?? as in the chain sounding lower.
5) hit opponent

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
5) hit opponent
Yeah, thats pretty much how you do it. The dust should be slightly below the shoulder, like around the armpit for it to work. You might see the dust come off around or slightly above the shoulder, but it needs to be closer to the armpit for it to jacket. The sound indicator should help with this :) If you mess up, you have to input the attack you want to jacket again (or else it will jacket... a chain the next time XD)

Hope that helps.

Flamingo777

Smash Apprentice
5) hit opponent
I usually dont know by the sound, but the dust usually does it for me.... they say its simple, but it actually takes some pretty precise timing...well for me anyways

Neb

Smash Lord
Its a good AT, and although difficult to set-up, anyone willing person
could perform it whenever if they took the time to practice. I think it should be used more.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Question, does anyone actually use the chain jacket in competitive play?
For laughs sometimes if I know I'm gonna win for sure.

Chain lock is awesome, but chain jacket is relatively useless. I suppose it might be useful on characters with NO projectiles or really really fast move like the starfox phantom thing.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I chain lock in some tourneys, but I never chain jacket. There's always that risk of freezing that i'm not willing to take.

A lot of times i'll walk away from my opponent and as they chase me, I whip out the chain lock for a quick 30%.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
always short hop your chain. chain jacket is stupidly hard to do consistently.
Scenario, you hit your opponent of the edge. place yourself a roll away from the stage approx. (that way you are safe from a recovery for ledge attack yet close enough to hit your opponent.
short hop chain, most cases this will trap your opponent for a nice 30ish%, rare case u might get an upexpected jacket and send your opponent flying. the confusion factor will then lead to a easier gimp or you can just stall for damage.
i keep promising vids, but im being lazy so im just going to send replays for someone else to upload

Top Bottom