• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

American Brawl Standard Stagelist

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Wtf is the problem with you Europeans? Did you ban jumping too?
Learn to play in that stage and you realize it's pretty damn competitive and awesome.

But oh wait! There is lavastuff, you have to avoid it... Sorry, forgot about that.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Prove me wrong. FD is not neutral. They are both polar opposites.
Brinstart is a full aerial stage, FD is a full grounded stage.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Awfully sorry as we may be: we don't have to prove anything because you're the minority.

's How life works darling, and while it may usually be rather unfair I believe it's sometimes for the better.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I love how people assume being right even matters anywhere at life lmao

:059:

Flayl

Smash Hero
Last I checked Final Destination didn't hurt you if you decided to not stay on the ground. Also there is no equivalent for sharking for grounded characters.

The opposite of Brinstar would be a stage that had spikes lowering from the ceiling and some weird hazard that allowed you to hit characters on a ledge from a safe distance.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If you don't know how FD is grounded, then don't discuss stagelists at all.
I smell a lot of people who can't concentrate on the lava here.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
We're supposed to focus on the enemy, you know? The way we choose to play this game is measuring skill by having PLAYERS compete with EACH OTHER.

Not learn how to beat a map first or else you're ****ed.

Flayl

Smash Hero
If you don't know how FD is grounded, then don't discuss stagelists at all.
I'm not arguing Final Destination isn't a good stage for grounded characters. I'm arguing it's more balanced than Brinstar.

I don't even think Brinstar should be banned, but if you think Final Destination and Brinstar are on the same level I'm just going to ignore anything you say about stages.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Not on the same level, but FD is more polar.

And Gheb, you are a really sad scrub. That is the worst thing one can say about Brawl.
You don't even need to concentrate on the lava, just jump when it rises. And Smash is 50% PvP and 50% PvS. Learn your game. Stages have a lot of impact on the matches.
Your stagelist is just buffing characters like Diddy, Falco, IC and Snake who excel on static stage for no apparent reason.
Brinstar isn't broken, if it isn't broken, it won't be banned.
And many lowtier characters are pretty good on such stage as Brinstar, by taking it away, you are removing depth as there will be less diversity. In my tournament, with a lot of stages, people say there will be only MK ****.
In fact, there was only 1 MK player. And the tournament was won by a Dedede.

We in Finland test each stage in tourney play that are arguably viable. If we find a stage overcentralizing or broken, we will then ban it. Not because someone doesn't want to play on a stage.

That is how we differ from you guys.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Not on the same level, but FD is more polar.
Flayl gave arguments to why he disagrees. Would you mind doing the same?

And Gheb, you are a really sad scrub. That is the worst thing one can say about Brawl.
Random insult for no reason.

You don't even need to concentrate on the lava, just jump when it rises.
So you do need to concentrate on the lava, because you have to react to it. It doesn't mean it's very much of an effort but you do have to do it.

You're also implying the stage forces you to do something (jumping in this case). FD doesn't do that. You're also underrating the impact of the lava by using theory smash, lava can put you in very unfavorable positions, regardless of having jumped or not. In theory and in practice.

And Smash is 50% PvP and 50% PvS. Learn your game. Stages have a lot of impact on the matches.
Where did you get those numbers from? Who says Smash is 50% PvP and 50% PvS? Have you researched and calculated this? Do the percentages change, depending on the ruleset?

Your stagelist is just buffing characters like Diddy, Falco, IC and Snake who excel on static stage for no apparent reason.
How so? Who says these characters can't be good on dynamic stages? Coincidentally, they're all top tier. What do you mean with 'for no apparent reason'? I can say the same about every ruleset and say "you're buffing X,Y and Z for no apparent reason".

Brinstar isn't broken, if it isn't broken, it won't be banned.
By your criteria. I can assure you a big majority of people here does not follow your criteria.

And many lowtier characters are pretty good on such stage as Brinstar
Since when? Do you have any proof for this? Last time I checked MK was broken here.

by taking it away, you are removing depth as there will be less diversity.
what? Bad characters stay bad characters. One stage - that is barely influential - doesn't change that.

In my tournament, with a lot of stages, people say there will be only MK ****.
In fact, there was only 1 MK player. And the tournament was won by a Dedede.
That is not representative.

We in Finland test each stage in tourney play that are arguably viable. If we find a stage overcentralizing or broken, we will then ban it. Not because someone doesn't want to play on a stage.

That is how we differ from you guys.
Ehh I guess.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You guys are really as biased against Brinstar as I am for it.
Brinstar forcing you to jump is feature, which good players can use for their advantage. Exactly like certain character can abuse FD for NOT having such features.
MK being broken in Brinstar is a bad argument, it's the character, not the stage what is the problem.
And pretty much all the percents anyone gives are random. Don't take the pure 50% seriously. I just ment to say that stages have a lot of impact in this game and taking them away takes away a big part of the game.

Also, I got mad a Gheb, because he made a silly argument which really bad people use, Gheb is not a really bad player, he just got the wrong view about the stage.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Wtf is up with Finland and people responding to Finland.

**** Finland. **** Finland's stagelist and **** Finland's argument.

****. No really, I don't like to hate on people but this ****** is just trolling the **** out of you guys and you take the bait >.>

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
^ He isn't trolling. You should see some stage discussions. This guys is actually being incredibly reasonable compared to most of the people there.

Brinstar forcing you to jump is feature, which good players can use for their advantage. Exactly like certain character can abuse FD for NOT having such features.
Certain characters can do that, meaning that only some characters can do it and that the player has to make that decision, the stage won't do it for you. Players should do it themselves.

MK being broken in Brinstar is a bad argument, it's the character, not the stage what is the problem.
Of course it is the stage! The stage boosts him.

And pretty much all the percents anyone gives are random. Don't take the pure 50% seriously. I just ment to say that stages have a lot of impact in this game and taking them away takes away a big part of the game.
How so?

:053:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I just ment to say that stages have a lot of impact in this game and taking them away takes away a big part of the game.
At the same time it adds a different, even bigger part of the game.

That's why people like you and BPC are idiots: you think your own criteria are objectively definable and whoever disagrees is a "sad scrub". I have my own logic and it's sound and consistent. But you are biased thinking your own logic is "better" even though that's not possible. It's sad that the whole community of Finland is exposed to somebody like you.

Laem

Smash Champion
At the same time it adds a different, even bigger part of the game.

That's why people like you and BPC are idiots: you think your own criteria are objectively definable and whoever disagrees is a "sad scrub". I have my own logic and it's sound and consistent. But you are biased thinking your own logic is "better" even though that's not possible. It's sad that the whole community of Finland is exposed to somebody like you.

You think marth is (relatively) bad and every1 (and by that i mean me) who disagrees has Mr. R bias

GOOI JEZELF WEG!!

but what am i doing
Gheb is on OUR SIDE :D
so on topic then
I understand the concept of polarity and saying FD is more polar than brinstar is ****ing ********.

also wow yaaay, post like that some more and you'll be a debater too D:

LzR, could you explain to me, as simple as it is, why FD is "full grounded"?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
At least I admit, that it's bias when I say Marth is overrated. Results show the opposite ans people actually lose to that character. So I don't expect anybody to believe me or even to agree with me let alone insult others for doing so.

I ain no hatah

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't have a problem with your stages, you mentioned first that our stagelist sucks.

So... My view of competitive smash is the ability to control their character and the ability to use a stage for their advantage. Smash is unique in such a way and I like to keep it that way. Fine if you don't do it that way, a TO has all the power to have any kind of rules he wants.
This is my way of playing the game and Finnish people like it that way.

Just don't say our stagelist sucks because it's different from you guys.

Arguing about stages here isn't going anywhere, both sides refuse to agree with each other and even if they did, nothing would be changed anyways

I support many stage as long as they don't marginalize skill or are plain broken (Circles, walkoffs, Wario Ware and so on)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I highly doubt that I ever told you your stage list sucks. Unless I troll somebody [which I only do in Tactical Boards] I don't make absolute statements like that. If anything I would say I disagree with the logic that leads to such a stage list. If you can't even take that you shouldn't debate things like this.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I think I was the one first saying the Finnish stagelist sucks.

But really, I cba to say 'IN MY HUMBLE OPINION your stagelist sucks'. The word 'sucks' alone should imply subjectivity. I wouldn't bother going to a Finnish tournament with such a stagelist, and I wager that if Finland would ever consider going international, they'd have to follow the current European trend in rulesets.

Of course, it's entirely up to you (especially if you're the only TO). Only thing I have been saying is that (IMO) your stagelist is crap and should die in hell.

NNID
Budget_Player
ALL RIGHT THE CAVALRY IS HERE. Thanks for keeping up the sanity, LzR.

What 2 of the 7 CP-Stages should be starter?

I normally also prefer 5 starters, but all the other 7 stages are very semilar in regard of their starter-possibility, they all have at least one bad aspect.
"Bad"? Oh god...

CS - Perm-Walk-Off for 30 (?) Seconds
>permanent
>30 seconds

How often do you see this affect matchups? It's like *****ing about PS1 having temporary walls-good players don't get abused by it.

Delfino - Water (+ Walk-Offs)
...And why is water a problem? As for the walkoffs, refer to castle siege.
(Delfino has other problems that make it a "worse" starter than others, like sharking)

Fregate - No Edge (+Flip)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281330
The part with one edge is up for a tiny fraction of the time on the stage, and the flip is completely non-dangerous. Frigate is severely overlooked as a neutral stage, because it really is pretty decent. Not Battlefield/SV good, but certainly better than FD.

Halberd - Obv. Claw etc.
Yep, the obvious claw which obviously telegraphs itself years in advance. :p

LC - Stage Tilting
...Why is this a problem? Learn to recover.

PS1 - Transformations give huge (d9s)advantages
Okay, do me a favor. Show me one high-level match in the last few months where someone got abused by a wall or something on PS1 (perhaps the windmill? Wanna count that?). Their temporary nature and the stalling they encourage makes them very weak hazards.

YI - Ghosts
This would be reason to ban the stage-not a reason to make it less of a starter.

Why would you need to strike from all allowed stages?

Neutral stages don't need to be balanced for all characters. Neutral stages are neutral, because they don't have any gay hazard or other **** happening on them.
Can we please not completely redifine statements? It's static. You are completely mangling the definition of "neutral", because if a stage is a favored counterpick for a character, it's DEFINITELY not neutral among the cast (FD for ICs ring any bells? BF for Falco? Lylat for Peach and Marth? Yoshi's for Olimar, DK, and Sonic? SV as a second choice for most of the chars who like FD?), and calling it that is seriously mangling the definition. Call them static, but PLEASE stop referring to them as neutral.

If you want stages that are balanced for all characters then you will never find one... unless you choose such a random one that everyone has about the same chance... like Mario Bros, lol.
Actually, you can't construct a starter list which is fair for all characters. Ever. The "neutral stage" is different for each matchup, and each player. So what do you do? Limiting it to stages that appear "fair" doesn't really help either because even though it may not seem like SV gives anyone a serious advantage, it is definitely not a median stage for, say, G&W vs. ICs-it's G&W's second-worst stage in the matchup! So what do you do to avoid situations like that? You raise the number of stages in the starter list. This leads to the most fair stage coming out AUTOMATICALLY, because each player strikes to the stage that is equally fair for each part of the matchup.

We could also just always start the first match on SV. :)
...What makes SV better than any other stage?

Tbh I can't think of any matchup that is way in any character's favor on SV.
ICs-G&W
Falco-Wario
Diddy-MK

In all of those matchups, SV provides a considerable advantage for the former party (at the expense of the latter party).

That put aside, tilting on LC severely reduces its viability to be a neutral.
1. Why?
2. PLEASE STOP CALLING THEM THAT.

FD+BF+SV is fine in terms of standard 3. Noting it benefits 'ground based characters' too much is a bit silly. It supports projectile camping and grab games, the fact that the few really 'ground based' characters often happen to be either one of those (or both) doesn't make it 'ground favoured' per se.
Okay, then it makes it "projectile- and grab-camping supporting". Which is just as bad as being ground-favored.

Put frankly, more stage = more exploitable air as well.
Also, Lylat+YI are ought to always be neutrals in case of 5 neutrals. PS1 being neutral is an outdated concept.
I honestly wonder why, because PS1 is ridiculously neutral (in the english meaning of the word). There are very few matchups that are actually polarized there-honestly, it's probably a better "neutral" than BF or SV!

Having too many elements in a stage apparently equals skill because you have to 'adapt' to them.

:052:
If by apparently you mean "definitely", then yep. The reasoning is right there.

..Of course, by now, I realize I can't really point to that and ask you to accept it.

But really, what is wrong with Brinstar? Why would everyone want to ban it beyond "MK is gay"? If that's your reasoning, ban MK. Or limit him with a rule like "MK is not allowed to counterpick". Or better yet, allow more stage bans. The stage is non-random, only polar in a tiny minority of matchups (read: against Ness, MK, ICs, and Wario). Why remove the stage from the list? If it's general distaste, I can only ask to think of more than yourself, but rather to think of the overall competitive level of the game, which drops when you ban the stage. I mean, hell, you never have to play on it anyways. It's just when I hear things like "Brinstar sucks, ban that ****", I can't help but get this image in my head of a street fighter newbie who is complaining bitterly about how his opponent beats him with tick throws, screaming "Tick throws suck, ban that ****" instead of getting better and learning the counter strategy (or, in this case, how to use the stage).

As far as the starter list goes... I dunno if it's worth going over again. It's just that 5 or less starter lists have considerable issues (most notably: SV, BF, and FD are all favored counterpicks for the same chars, because they are ridiculously similar stages, and you can't get rid of all of them against those characters), and that if you're looking for the most neutral stage for the first round, striking from the whole list (rounded up or down to the nearest odd number) will save you the trouble of creating a starter list. I mean, hell, let's just do ICs vs. G&W on a typical german stagelist just for kicks.

G&W strikes FD, SV, BF, PS1
ICs strikes Brinstar, Delfino, Frigate, LC

...At this point, both characters have one or two strikes remaining (depending on size of the list), but neither of them has a strong counterpick in the remaining stages (and all of the "wonky" stages are already long gone!).

Compare to a 3-starter...
G&W strikes FD
ICs strikes Battlefield
They go to SV, which is G&W's second-worst stage in the matchup. This is where the ICs main would go on his counterpick (after G&W uses his stage ban on FD). Let me ask you-don't any of you see the problem with this? Similarly in 5-starter; the only difference being that it's their third-best counterpick against G/W, instead of their second-best. Can you really claim that this is determining a neutral stage for the matchup?

I know I'm going to have trouble convincing you guys, and that you're willing to ignore any of the logic I present. After all, it is just a game. But just think about it for a minute, and ask yourselves-"Isn't there something wrong with giving a character one of their best counterpicks in the first round?" Imagine if MK wasn't in the game. What about then, would there be a problem (remember, Falco, Diddy, Snake, and ICs would be tied for "best in the game", and you would be giving them their best stages!!!)?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Idk about you but when I talk about the stages - it's potential as a starter or a counterpick stage - I ignore the aspect of a character's strength on a stage. The "neutrality" [lack of a better word] of a stage does not depend on a character's performance on said stage but on it's composure [which is not objectively definable, whether you want to or not].

If a character is "too good" on a stage, then it's never the character but always a particular mechanic of a stage, that is already broken and just happens to be abused well by one character.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Nothing is broken about Brinstar, in fact YI's ghost is much worse. Why do you have YI legal?
And can someone explain to me why is RC banned? Is there any other reason than the TO's maining Falco's or general distaste?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
No, no and NO. SERIOUSLY ***** GET A ****ING IDEA OF HOW THIS GAME IS PLAYED
This is why skill does matter in these debates and why theory-crafting alone can never prove a point right: As soon as you give concrete examples your lack of knowledge becomes glaringly obvious making your whole agenda more than just questionable.
[Edit: just to be clear - this is not aimed at you, Olaf]

I find it particularly hilarious how BPC uses the IC vs GW match-up as an example of how SV supposedly makes a match-up "uneven" as if GW had any hope to win this match-up on 90% of the stages to begin with. That's like saying "Battlefield is a broken stage because Falco beats Ganon 100:0 there". Newsflash: He does so on any other stage as well. Just as the ICs completely obliterate GW on most other stages too.

Unless somebody at least understands how this game is played on a high level [note here that I even admit that high level skill isn't required] he has no place in such debate.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thought I am not a high level player, I am still confident over my skills in this game.
Every matchup is based on theorycrafting. Without theorycrafting, there would be no need to make any MU stuff anyways.

And Lord Chair seems to have some kind of a mental problem when it comes to communicating with other people here.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
's You bringing out Mr. Hyde. Kudos, darling.

I can't be bothered with flawless argumentation if a discussion is bound to be one big pile of rubbish in the first place. If you are in favor of a more liberal stagelist that's fine, but please do bother coming up with valid arguments rather than spouting out senseless statements faster than we are able to invalidate them.

That also counts for BPC, that way of debating is completely pointless. Don't ever expect a nice debate on something if you can't bother being a gentleman in the process.

Failure to do so leads to everyone going off-topic, more text than any one human is able to process and the fearsome Mr. Hyde.

NNID
Budget_Player
Idk about you but when I talk about the stages - it's potential as a starter or a counterpick stage - I ignore the aspect of a character's strength on a stage. The "neutrality" [lack of a better word] of a stage does not depend on a character's performance on said stage but on it's composure [which is not objectively definable, whether you want to or not].

If a character is "too good" on a stage, then it's never the character but always a particular mechanic of a stage, that is already broken and just happens to be abused well by one character.

ICs on FD are almost certainly broken. They counter almost the entire cast, including MK-in fact, the only char who really does well against them there is Snake; everyone else fairs somewhere between okay (MK) and ****ty (most of the cast). So... it's the quality of the stage?

Virtually every stage in the game has some quality that turns it into a counterpick for various matchups. FD (ICs), BF (Platform layout perfect for projectile camping/runaway, thank you falco), SV (Diddy ****ing LOVES the size of this stage, and the way the platform can't be relied on to stop bananas well; it's also second pick for ICs, DDD, and various other characters)... Why exclude them? A character uses the stage to go from "meh" (ICs on most stages) to "OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK" (ICs on FD, and to a lesser extent SV).

Are you seeing the hole in this reasoning yet? The very idea of "counterpicking" will lead, with your reasoning, to every stage being unneutral, because every stage will somehow push the matchup around. And how do we set a "neutral point"? We can't without being brutally unfair (the neutral point being FD is just as fair as it being, say, RC). So this reasoning is effectively useless. And if we can't set the neutral point, it all becomes relative-FD pushes X many matchups by an average of Y many points, whereas PS1 pushes A many matchups by an average of B many points. See what I'm getting at? This relativity is essentially my way of determining a neutral stage.

No, no and NO. SERIOUSLY ***** GET A ****ING IDEA OF HOW THIS GAME IS PLAYED
Hey, aren't you that guy Ravenlord ***** in a hard counter matchup? Worth mentioning that people have been discrediting me for losing against his Lucas with MK... You lost against his lucas with MARTH.

If you honestly don't think that SV is a counterpick for diddy against MK, then there's something wrong with you. I was somehow lead to believe that G&W-ICs was hard, but winnable on every stage except FD, guess AA was wrong about something for once.
But really, look at the statistics. How often is SV a counterpick stage? How often is FD banned? Can you still call them neutral?
Not that a stage has to be 100% neutral for it to be a starter stage. Hell, my stage has tons of fairly unbalanced stages on it. But when the best you can hope for is one of your opponent's best counterpicks, then there is clearly something wrong.

5 starters:
BF
SV
PS2
LC
PS1/YI/CS (any of these 3)

All of these stages are more or less "neutral". Plus, even if you're facing a char like falco who LOVES FD/BF/SV, unlike in the old 5-stage starter list, you can get rid of all of his favorite stages and end up on, surprise surprise, a stage which is actually neutral in the matchup. Or, at least, not horrible. PS2 is almost always "neutral"; LC is usually going to be bad for people who like both SV and BF (rather, you're probably going to love SV and BF, or love LC and BF at worst); PS1, YI, and CS don't really have any strong matchups that they share with other stages here. Hell, up it to seven and you get all 7 stages listed above, and you get a fairly static selection, which you guys somehow seem very insistent on; you also get a really balanced stagelist where nobody can really get anything remotely resembling a good counterpick.

Thoughts? Inb4FD

Laem

Smash Champion
As much as ic's definitely do not counter MK on FD, and bpc thinking ravenlord beat chair more than a year ago realistically means something...BF SV PS2 LC PS1/YI/CS as starters is actually good, and the reasoning is sound and comprehensible(just the "a good starter list doesn't contain more than half of one characters counterpicks" works for me).

PS2 is still just stupid silly.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
>permanent
>30 seconds

How often do you see this affect matchups?
Often. Very very often. More often than not.

Walk-offs do not only allow infinites and 0-deaths, they make pressuring your opponent to death and killing A LOT easier. There is no off-stage game, because you cant get off-stage. There is no need for edgeguarding anymore, just pressure them and they die. The ceilings also seem to be somewhat smaller, altough this may be since the fighting does not only take place in the center, but also at the sides.

Either way, it's perfectly possible to die at ridiculous %s. These 30 seconds are definitely game changing.

It's like *****ing about PS1 having temporary walls-good players don't get abused by it.
Stupid and gay things happen a lot with walls. Dumb "combo's" or survinving a hit because of a wall or stalling.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281330
The part with one edge is up for a tiny fraction of the time on the stage, and the flip is completely non-dangerous. Frigate is severely overlooked as a neutral stage, because it really is pretty decent. Not Battlefield/SV good, but certainly better than FD.
I can speak from experience that it's muuuuuch more than a tiny fraction, and that the exact same part may actually return several times. The flip definitely isn't non-dangerous... if you're coincidentally in a bad position, you're done for.

It isn't bad of a stage though, I wouldn't even mind seeing it neutral... but it's not better than FD.

Yep, the obvious claw which obviously telegraphs itself years in advance. :p
The claw is SOOOOOOOO underrated. This thing can utterly **** you. It is already unfair it locks on one random person. If you're the victim, you MUST react to the claw and it always puts you into a bad position. If you were already in a bad one (for example when recovering), things get even worse. The fact that Halberd is miniscule doesn't make things better.

...Why is this a problem? Learn to recover.
That's the problem. There is no learning.

Zelda (150%) vs Marth (80%) on BF. Marth has a great lead, however he makes a small mistake. Zelda notices this immediatly and quickly does a Dtilt > Dsmash. Dsmash has a very low angle and is quite strong. Fortunately, Marth can react quickly enough and UpB's back, grabbing the ledge.

Zelda (150%) vs Marth (80%) on LC. Marth has a great lead, however he makes a small mistake. Zelda notices this immediatly and quickly does a Dtilt > Dsmash. Dsmash has a very low angle and is quite strong. Fortunately, Marth can react quickly enough and UpB's back... but LC is LOLTILT and Marth doesn't make it, even though there was nothing he could do about it.

This is one of the least gay scenerio's this stage has due to it's wonderful feature of tilting.

Okay, do me a favor. Show me one high-level match in the last few months where someone got abused by a wall or something on PS1 (perhaps the windmill? Wanna count that?). Their temporary nature and the stalling they encourage makes them very weak hazards.
Such matches would most likely not get recorded.

This would be reason to ban the stage-not a reason to make it less of a starter.
Lol. It's not that bad.

Actually, you can't construct a starter list which is fair for all characters. Ever. The "neutral stage" is different for each matchup, and each player. So what do you do? Limiting it to stages that appear "fair" doesn't really help either because even though it may not seem like SV gives anyone a serious advantage, it is definitely not a median stage for, say, G&W vs. ICs-it's G&W's second-worst stage in the matchup! So what do you do to avoid situations like that? You raise the number of stages in the starter list. This leads to the most fair stage coming out AUTOMATICALLY, because each player strikes to the stage that is equally fair for each part of the matchup.
This sounds very ideologic. What if a character is actually handicapped by involving more starters? What if the majority of those extra stages might be bad for a character? That character will be worse off. There will always be victims and winners.

Okay, then it makes it "projectile- and grab-camping supporting". Which is just as bad as being ground-favored.
That is something very different.

Err I kinda skipped the last part and went straight for the arguments hehe. I think I get your vision by now.

NNID
Budget_Player
Often. Very very often. More often than not.

Walk-offs do not only allow infinites and 0-deaths, they make pressuring your opponent to death and killing A LOT easier. There is no off-stage game, because you cant get off-stage. There is no need for edgeguarding anymore, just pressure them and they die. The ceilings also seem to be somewhat smaller, altough this may be since the fighting does not only take place in the center, but also at the sides.

Either way, it's perfectly possible to die at ridiculous %s. These 30 seconds are definitely game changing.
See, here's the thing-that part of the stage seriously encourages runaway. So sure, you could have stuff like walkoff kills, but you really never should. As a rule of thumb, here's what you can do to never die off the side early on CS's second transformation: stay off the ground. Stay on the inner edge of the tapestries, and when the opponent approaches, go to the other one, or down to one of the statue's platforms. So let me rephrase my question-how often do you see anything happen in high-level play? I haven't noticed anything...

Stupid and gay things happen a lot with walls. Dumb "combo's" or survinving a hit because of a wall or stalling.
They hint themselves years in advance and seriously encourage stalling. There is no way you can get locked into some wall combo without your opponent SERIOUSLY outplaying you.

I can speak from experience that it's muuuuuch more than a tiny fraction, and that the exact same part may actually return several times. The flip definitely isn't non-dangerous... if you're coincidentally in a bad position, you're done for.
Well, it's not a tiny fraction, but it's between 25 and 33% of the stage's total duration. And the flip really should be non-dangerous unless your opponent pushed you into a very bad position.

It isn't bad of a stage though, I wouldn't even mind seeing it neutral... but it's not better than FD.
It's certainly less polar. I keep vouching for Frigate as a starter above, say, Delfino, because it really is less of a polarizing stage, especially when you realize that DDD adores delfino, and already has FD, PS1, and SV on most large starter lists. I'd place it above Halberd, too; probably in a 7-stage list.

The claw is SOOOOOOOO underrated. This thing can utterly **** you. It is already unfair it locks on one random person. If you're the victim, you MUST react to the claw and it always puts you into a bad position. If you were already in a bad one (for example when recovering), things get even worse. The fact that Halberd is miniscule doesn't make things better.
I know that the claw is a problem, but let me ask you this (thank you SuSa): how can you claim that it's not okay for round one, but totally okay for the other rounds? If anything, ban the stage for excessive randomness. But how can you differentiate it as a starter or not... Actually wait I wasn't proposing it as a starter. Fail. The claw IS underrated, actually. But it's also often overrated.

That's the problem. There is no learning.

Zelda (150%) vs Marth (80%) on BF. Marth has a great lead, however he makes a small mistake. Zelda notices this immediatly and quickly does a Dtilt > Dsmash. Dsmash has a very low angle and is quite strong. Fortunately, Marth can react quickly enough and UpB's back, grabbing the ledge.

Zelda (150%) vs Marth (80%) on LC. Marth has a great lead, however he makes a small mistake. Zelda notices this immediatly and quickly does a Dtilt > Dsmash. Dsmash has a very low angle and is quite strong. Fortunately, Marth can react quickly enough and UpB's back... but LC is LOLTILT and Marth doesn't make it, even though there was nothing he could do about it.
It doesn't tilt very fast, and usually not that much. You'll live.

Such matches would most likely not get recorded.
Why not? I mean, these are exactly the matches that NEED to get recorded.

This sounds very ideologic. What if a character is actually handicapped by involving more starters? What if the majority of those extra stages might be bad for a character? That character will be worse off. There will always be victims and winners.
Yes, but look at it this way: as such, we are rewarding characters via our stage selection system for:
-Being really good on two or more legal stages
-Being good on 2 or 3 of the following: BF/SV/FD.

How does that seem more sensible than:
-Being really good on two/three or more legal stages (have you seen my thread about stage bans?)
-Being good/decent on half or more of the legal stages.

I don't question that by "changing" the system to a larger starter list, there will be a slight reassignment of balance. I'm questioning that that would be a bad thing. I see it not as giving certain characters an unfair buff/nerf, but rather removing this unfair buff/nerf that having a starter list always has (or, at least, the really blatant ones that the normal 3/5-stage starter lists have)-that's a big difference. By striking from the whole starter list, we offer advantage not to characters who are good on a subset of stages, but who are, due to their character qualities, good on between 1/2 and all legal stages. I realize that this is a little hardcore for europe, so I'm just gonna start with the list I mentioned above: BF/PS2/SV/LC/(PS1/YI/FO/CS)

That is something very different.
Not really-instead of supporting a generalized character quality, it supports very specific character qualities. Not a huge change.

Err I kinda skipped the last part and went straight for the arguments hehe. I think I get your vision by now.

What do you think about it?

@Laem: ICs at least go even with MK on FD. Fairly sure that's what the MK boards are saying. The reasoning is simply that it's ridiculous to strike in the first place if you have to choose between a character's best 3 stages-it doesn't lead to a fair stage at all.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Hey, aren't you that guy Ravenlord ***** in a hard counter matchup? Worth mentioning that people have been discrediting me for losing against his Lucas with MK... You lost against his lucas with MARTH.
That'd be a valid argument if it weren't for CiB being what, one and a half years ago?

edit: lol then again it would never have been a valid argument xD

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
ICs on FD are almost certainly broken. They counter almost the entire cast, including MK-in fact, the only char who really does well against them there is Snake; everyone else fairs somewhere between okay (MK) and ****ty (most of the cast). So... it's the quality of the stage?
Nonsense. Ice Climbers don't counter MK on FD at all, the match-up just becomes closer to even than on any other stage. Snake also does perfectly fine and - believe it or not - it's probably one of Falco's better stages against them [most IC players hate fighting Falco on FD for a good reason] and Falco is already a pretty tough match-up for them. The same holds true for Diddy Kong and Toon Link just to name a few examples.

You have no idea what you're talking about. If the ICs were broken on FD it'd mean that you HAVE to pick ICs on ICs in order to realistically win, which is completely absurd. But it proves my point that a certain level of understanding for the game is required to make theorycrafting credible and that you clearly lack it.

As for PS2 as a starter - I used to think so but I'm not sure now. Chair's argumentation that changing the most basic mechanics of the game [walking, dashing, jumping, etc] is too drastic an impact for it to be a starter is very sound. As a counterpick I would find it acceptable in any case - I'd only agree with it as a starter, if we strike out of the whole pool of allowed stages.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You do know that IC never plays on FD, because it always gets striked unless you play a character who wrecks there.
And IC do pretty well against MK. MK is forced to aircamp and in FD ha has no platforms to land to making things a lot harder.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
See, here's the thing-that part of the stage seriously encourages runaway. So sure, you could have stuff like walkoff kills, but you really never should. As a rule of thumb, here's what you can do to never die off the side early on CS's second transformation: stay off the ground. Stay on the inner edge of the tapestries, and when the opponent approaches, go to the other one, or down to one of the statue's platforms. So let me rephrase my question-how often do you see anything happen in high-level play? I haven't noticed anything...
This is serious theorycrafting. If you get hit, you will get to the sides and early kills will happen. It is impossible not to get hit in high-level play with humans. Someone will get hit and when he does, the reward is biiiiig. Some statues (that can also extend certain hitboxes) and platforms won't magically change that.

They hint themselves years in advance and seriously encourage stalling. There is no way you can get locked into some wall combo without your opponent SERIOUSLY outplaying you.
It doesn't matter if they hint themselves years in advance. They're either in the way, or they can be abused badly.

Well, it's not a tiny fraction, but it's between 25 and 33% of the stage's total duration. And the flip really should be non-dangerous unless your opponent pushed you into a very bad position.
25% - 33% is not short. It's quite long actually. As for your second statement, that means it is somehow dangerous, but you actually don't have to be pushed in a very bad position. If you're edgeguarding for example, things can look cruel even though you're not forced into a bad position by your opponent. You will have to return rapidly but I'm afraid that doesn't always work out...

I should admit the latter situation doesn't frequently happen though, but I had to say that you dont have to be forced in an incredibly bad situation to get ****ed up by the flip.

It's certainly less polar. I keep vouching for Frigate as a starter above, say, Delfino, because it really is less of a polarizing stage, especially when you realize that DDD adores delfino, and already has FD, PS1, and SV on most large starter lists. I'd place it above Halberd, too; probably in a 7-stage list.

I know that the claw is a problem, but let me ask you this (thank you SuSa): how can you claim that it's not okay for round one, but totally okay for the other rounds? If anything, ban the stage for excessive randomness. But how can you differentiate it as a starter or not... Actually wait I wasn't proposing it as a starter. Fail. The claw IS underrated, actually. But it's also often overrated.
I find it quite interesting for counterpick stages actually. It's a risk you take with counterpicking this stage. Fortunately, this stage is not centered about risks and having luck, unlike stages such as Warioware, so the stage won't be completely broken. I don't find it suitable for a starter because I find that both players shouldn't be forced to take a risk by playing on a stage with such a hazard.

And I wasn't even talking about Halberd being a starter. I was merely taking about the claw, that was supposedly very easy to avoid.

It doesn't tilt very fast, and usually not that much. You'll live.
Dude, I have seen this a hundred times. Tilting can severely **** recoveries. If it didn't, nobody would bother to ***** about the tilting.

Why not? I mean, these are exactly the matches that NEED to get recorded.
Maybe. But they don't, because people think 'LOL gay match nvm this one'. And high level matches don't take often place on PS1.

Yes, but look at it this way: as such, we are rewarding characters via our stage selection system for:
-Being really good on two or more legal stages
-Being good on 2 or 3 of the following: BF/SV/FD.

How does that seem more sensible than:
-Being really good on two/three or more legal stages (have you seen my thread about stage bans?)
-Being good/decent on half or more of the legal stages.

I don't question that by "changing" the system to a larger starter list, there will be a slight reassignment of balance. I'm questioning that that would be a bad thing. I see it not as giving certain characters an unfair buff/nerf, but rather removing this unfair buff/nerf that having a starter list always has (or, at least, the really blatant ones that the normal 3/5-stage starter lists have)-that's a big difference.

This is an interesting point you make. But you should realise we don't see it in the way our character received unfair buffs. We don't see a problem.

By striking from the whole starter list, we offer advantage not to characters who are good on a subset of stages, but who are, due to their character qualities, good on between 1/2 and all legal stages. I realize that this is a little hardcore for europe, so I'm just gonna start with the list I mentioned above: BF/PS2/SV/LC/(PS1/YI/FO/CS)
High tier characters are high tier for a reason... They have a lot of options and can adapt by using. If character X has a universal advantage over character Y, character X should have better and more stage to counterpick than character Y. I can't see how this helps balancing the game. MK wouldn't get worse. Snake wouldn't get worse. Falco wouldn't get worse. Diddy wouldn't get worse. I can only see them get better. All of them can adapt to the stage and seeing the majority of their match-ups are good, they often have quite a lot of stages to pick. They are good characters and good on several stages. I don't understand how one can say 'more stages = more balance'.

The only possible exception I can think of is Ice Climbers.

Not really-instead of supporting a generalized character quality, it supports very specific character qualities. Not a huge change.
Aaaah, so we get more specific now. Generalized character quality is so much more universal and will be abused by more characters rather than specific ones. It is quite different.

That'd be a valid argument if it weren't for CiB being what, one and a half years ago?

edit: lol then again it would never have been a valid argument xD
You don't even main Marth...

Top Bottom