• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I honestly can't comment about b.air comparison outside of frame data between the two.

I don't know if Doc's sends you at a lower angle or not.

I know some people say Doc's has more knockback. It's believable, it makes sense, but I've never seen hard proof of it or tested it myself.

Same thing goes with angle.

However, I wouldn't rule it out simply because I know for a fact green mario can combo with b.air with mario, and I try that with doc and just get pissed. :/

I'll probably wind up looking into it tonightday cause I got nothing better to do.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Mario's Super Jump Punch feels like it covers less distance. Maybe it's just me. Doc's Tornado seems a little easier to do too.

I might be crazy.

They've got differences in their dtilts too, and their downward angled ftilt.

Do we know if the usmash is a meteor, or is that just speculation right now?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
1: They're both the same with jump punches. They can do 3 angles, a high, close one; a high, mid one, and a low far one. I'd eyeball it at 80 degrees, 70, and 45, respectively.

2: Tornado's are exactly the same in terms of recovery. Same difficulty, same height.
Now what I didn't know is that the tornadoes are different in terms of knockback. Doc's last hit of the tornado sends people out, makes it usable in edgeguards. Mario's sends people UP (in stun, at any percent assuming they take the full hit). I'd imagine you could use this as a setup seeing as they'd have to dj away or come through mario's u.tilt and/or upsmash.

3: I'm mad you mentioned d.tilt like that move is worth anything. I mean sure, Mario's pops up and doc's pulls behind. Mario's doesn't put people in stun till like, 100%. And it's still d.tilt. XD

4: Doc's upsmash isn't a meteor, it just has meteor properties when it hits grounded people. Makes it a combo starter. Mario's is just flat out good for useful for killing as you always get the full knockback for it.

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
When shffling uairs should I use the A button or c stick? I have trouble hitting up on the c stick soon enough when my opponents at low percentages. And do dogysamich and boss do something different when the tornado recover, because mine does not go as high as theres.

j3ly

Smash Champion
Dogy said:
doc and mario are the same weight
This is not entirely correct, in PAL mario was nerfed like the rest of the high tiers at the time (5th ftw) and got made lighter. Not much of a nerf imo, but yeah pal mario is lighter than NTSC mario, and pal doc is the same as the original unchanged weight. If anything all that it means is that when I come to America to **** I'll be playing a mario with pal docs weight. Awfully clunky compared to our mario :( though maybe it will feel the same given 2x as many flips in a jump etc.. umm I'm back to edit this post, but the iPhone doesn't allow me to scroll down in this box. I have to go help build my house so incase anybody was actually waiting for my edit, 7 hours it will be done in

Docs bairs (imo) send the opp to a lower angle and maybe (probably) more knockback too.
I can only give info on the aspects that are prominent in my own gameplay
- fh rising bair is less effective for comboing. Mario can start filth combos with bair -> something if they are above him on a platform, possibly thrown up. Docs bair is a cuple more frames? ..... actually I'm at a friends house and I'll get used to docs weak bair. Cos I think doc misses out on weak bair - strong bair - ff - dj - weak bair strong bair. Best performed on marth, above the stage, off the edge at about 10%

Anyway that was rant, umm ye I'll edit this later with more accurate info.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
arnt you supposed to hit with the tip of his feet during the uair juggles? im not sure. im a little hazy on that and have trouble with it myself.

j3ly

Smash Champion
well think of it this way

same with falcon too, uair only has one hitbox. But similar to the shine, if u hit with a different part you will get a different result - hit with the top of the shine, and you can sometimes get a TR bair (fox) because the part of the hitbox u hit with sends them at the same angle, but your in a different position. Same applies to uair, if they are at a high % then u want to hit with the middle of the hitbox, as close to the attack sending them the wrong direction (without actually doing it) as possible. For lower %'s that might not send them far enough, so u need to use the tip of the uair, because in effect that will put more space between you and your opponent.

Yeah, actually thats a good way of describing it, there is no difference in knockback but the further from the centre of the hitbox (so marios belt) u hit, the more distance u put between you and your opponent. No difference in knockback atall. If u still dont understand, try shine-dair with falco, but the really fast version. Jump, shine and hit your opp with the very bottom of the shine, and itll be alot easier. Now try hitting with the middle of the shine, alot trickier.

soma - i made a thread called hamonyou i think which detailed recovery, but i was quite a nub comparatively speaking so ill go into a little bit of detail here. Incase ur not aware, the best order for an edgehogging opponent is
Tornado, Cape, cape, cape, cape, cape (etc like marth does)
fireball at person holding the edge (if possible)
FF (only if u can definatly make it, FFing makes u less predictable but u loose some horizontal distance)
double jump (you can always fireball after a double jump, the first fireball only applies if u get lucky and get lined up)
sweetspot upB

If you hit them with the upB after 1 fireball on battlefield it is OVER FOR THEM. Some stages, DL for example, if u can hit with both fireballs it is MAYBE OVER FOR THEM :)

People catch on pretty quick, part of edgeguarding in smash is (unfortunately) making a total guess (wrong guess = death in many cases, especially for mario :(), so when your opponent decides to try a sneaky edgehog from ur sweetspot, u must anticipate this before u have stopped tumbling :( fireballs work wonders against an edgehogging opponent, but again with people catching on, probably after one. Oh, and btw dont fireball marth unless ur sure, A because he is prolly stalling the edge making it useless, B because that bair has alot of range to knock you outta the sky.

Erm where was I, gdam all of my posts are so disorganised. Yeah, when ur opponent catches on, try ur very hardest to anticipate it before they do, so you can save your tornado and cape. Cape sometimes does the trick i must say, but your better off using tornado at the time that you would UpB, they roll to edgehog you, they fail, you cape -upB :D job done, dont get knocked off next time xD

LOL i just read ur post u didnt actually ask any of that, idc, owell. To awnser ur actual question - Tumble recover always, i think its best to do that with thumb and first finger cause its alot faster once muscle memory is down. For Max height out of tornado u need to press it 15times a SECOND, this is impossible, but about 7/8 should be fine. You wanna tumble, press down B then while furiously tapping B hold the control stick *picks up controller to refer to muscle memory* well i hold it totally sideways, do what u want.

recently i have been holding the control stick sideways with my little finger, while tapping B with both hands. I would seriously, seriously get into the (at first very uncomfortable) habit of doing that, watch perfect control and you will see how rediculous 15taps per second really is in terms of height.

To quote eggz, if u can make it to the top platform of FoD your doing fine

and another thing, use control stick for uairs - for a move this fast no frames should be spared getting ur hand to the cstick

j3ly out
j3ly 4 pres

two more things now that i am re-reading my post, 1 - check green mario v noobking (that dude is seriously nice, hes giving fuzzy money to help towards a flight to canada) on DL is a good example of how to appropriately switch up recovery

2 if ur asking questions on recovery i remeber i had questions on DI at that time so incase u do too, lets say ur back is facing the edge and your really close to it, and eat a marth fsmash. if u di away from him, 30% you very well may be KO'd.
Keeping it simple, with the control stick, just be holding up and towards him before he hits u (if u smash the direction [while ur flashing white for literally like 9/10 frames i think]thats smash DI, its stronger and sends u in the direction u smashed the control stick[you can smash it as many frames as you are flashing white, if ur hands are that fast u can do some godly shiz with that]a tiny bit as u smash it), so like diagonal up left/right, and be holding the c-stick directly towards the attacker before he hits you(before the white frames, against the trajectory of the attack, thats automatic smash di [sdi]. ). That angle to recover from should serve you well with Mario, i once survived a non-sourspotted fox fsmash at 143% with that on fd just off the stage.

lol an idea for a video if anybody has AR, its been done slightly different by somebody already but samus full charge shot on jiggs, smash DI to the edge, tech and sing cancel that would look cool if its possible, i dunno the specifics.

Gratz to anybody who actually read that whole post, but no gratz to those who scimmed and caught this sentence out of the corner of their eye

HiIH

Smash Lord
The only way to get used to uair comboing is practicing it on people. I learned to uair combo with Falcon from playing Mario actually. Then I learned to Uair combo with doc from uair practice from Falcon <.<;

Err anyway, to kinda get the properties of the hit box, you have to look at what the move is actually doing. You hit with the top of the hitbox they're getting sent backwards, the same way a soccer ball does for a flip kick, and you hit with the Upperfront they're going to get sent up. Bottom front will be more out, Etc etc.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I beat DanteFox's Falco in Melee and I saved the match. Vids will be up soon. =)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Not too hard to D-throw U-air her, Jab cancel D-smash is legit, and so is F-air -> **** when it happens, but doing more than 2hit (or maybe 3hit if you do F-air -> ****) combos is pretty hard on Jiggs.

j3ly

Smash Champion
bair is really good against jiggs. Bair and weak bair, and uair. Dthrow. Dont try to fair her in this current metagame. Nair is good but i try to keep away from those two. FSMASH will **** her world, usmash gives invincibility frames - > jiggs bair/approach

fireball camping will be of some assistance if you are good. Not a whole lot, but get a few fireballs in if possible, then go for bair/weakbair/uair to start a combo. Auto canceled bair and uair combos into a grab, lower % the better (on all chars) and you want to be getting yourself as many grabs as possible. Grab + 2 headbuts + uthrow + followup of your choice = 18-24% , that 1/4 closer to having her in kill range

Dair -> uair or even just dair by itself is raaape against jiggs

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What is the best way to combo Captain Falcon?

That matchup in general gives me a lot of trouble. At first it gave me trouble since I sucked at using mobility options, but that problem is getting better. The main thing I'm not good at is comboing Captain Falcon. When you throw him, you have to wait a bit longer to combo him than compared to spacies due to how heavy he is.

I'm pretty dumb at knowing what to do when he's at really low percents mainly. My best idea is to do U-throw D-smash or F-air D-smash for about 22% or 31% respectively on him before trying any other fancier combos like U-tilt/U-air juggles, chainthrows, etc.

And it seems that reading DI is really important for Mario's air combos. If they are trying survival DI, you want to U-air juggle them. If they are trying to combo DI, you want to sweetspot N-air them if possible.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
well captain falcon can be chaingrabbed by U-throws (I do this till 30%) then U-tilt (i do this from 30%-50/60%) then U-air to the edge of the stage into a forward smash which should be pretty much death.

j3ly

Smash Champion
the thing with fighting falcon, is that uair messes him up so hard.

lets say we land a uair, autocancelled of course - anywhere between 35 - 80% we have options.

jab (dont do this)
utilt
grab
fsmash *
dsmash

usmash
uair *

* means higher up in the percentage band i gave above, and i wouldent advise usmashing unless you have stolen his jump.

landing uair on falcon is also fortunately easy. it flat out beats the knee, (so does utilt) and it comes out significantly quicker than falcons dair. uair OOS is ****, as it WD backwards fsmash. You would be amazed how mario can totally neutralise some falcons rush in nair approach, on reaction, with fsmash. Its beautiful.

utilt -> fsmash is raperaperape.

unfortunaly however, if the falcon player is flat out the superior play you will have trouble landing any hits atall, and all the uair advise in the world cant help that. the WD back fsmash advise probably can though

a rookie

Smash Ace
Wavedash back fsmash = pwned xD Haha
J3ly is right about fighting superior falcons though. I fought
against Silent Spectre with my Mario and found it hard to land
decent up-airs. It's not impossible, I just messed up a lot. I SD'd
mainly because of my controller.....Anyways, nothing is impossible.
If you're sketched out about trying to land more than one up-air, then
just do one up-air then follow it up with a fsmash, dsmash, grab, nair, or if you think it's possible, grab.

Play on Mario Mains<3

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well I just became a LOT more **** at the Falcon matchup. My friend TonyGuacamole is an amazing Falcon main, and getting my *** handed by him x number of times has now made me adapt to the matchup. My combos on Falcon have solidified and now when he's offstage, I can guarantee a gimp like half the time, 100% of the time if he has to recover low or far.

I think my main problem is just I don't use enough fireballs lmao. As long as my DI is spot on when he grabs me, the matchup isn't too horrible. Probably the most important thing about playing against Falcon is learning to DI, which will help you either minimize his damage or avoid getting gimped too early. Speaking of DI, Falcon is one of the easiest characters to U-air juggle if he survival DIs it. =)

n0ne

Smash Ace
............. at high level play i usually have more trouble with dorf than with falcon.

something pretty simple to do vs falcon is fair>downsmash>techchase than u can u throw to upair to nair.

what i like to do also when falcon is like 70 percent is when he is grounded to do uair to uptilt... thats a nice combo starter. >>>
http://www.youtube.com/sheleby121#p/u/10/op1Gm4Bpo-s at 1:24

I think the worst part about edgeguarding is when he up bs very high because mario does not have any good moves for that situation. I would recommend getting familiar with reverse nairs and reverse bairs. what i mean by this is facing your oponent.. nair or bair and try hitting with the back part of the attack. doing this messes up oponents DI big time.
Maybe i have trouble edgeguarding him is because i dont use cape idk.
The key is to have him off the stage with no 2nd jump. hes cake after that.

Another thing because falcon i so persistent to not die with good DI another good finisher is dthrow>read DI> f smash. this is done at 100-120 percent

j3ly is right about landing uairs on superior falcons. it IS pretty hard. once they see u land 2 or 3 they will completly change their DI. what I do is when i see this i try to land a reverse bair. it sends them far but not too much. then i predict their jump and nair their face.
Because of this same reason various upairs to f smash does not work because of DI. i go for nair or if im too far and off the stage.and they havent used their second jump.. id do a falling nair

a rookie

Smash Ace
Oh yes, of course Mario up-tilt to up-air. You can't go wrong with that. I mean, it always hit unless you mess up or high percentage. Remember guys, if Fox/Falco/Falcon is at 125%(around that) you can't get an auto kill like down-throw to f-smash. You have to follow them with an up-smash. Trust me, I just figured this out and it works. If Fox/Falco/Falcon DI's completely in either right or left you're going to miss your f-smash kill. A nair probably won't kill them and a down-smash, HELL NO it won't! Lol. Just try it is all I'm saying. Auto kill ftw =D

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-throw Up-smash only kills Fox/Falco consistently when you D-throw them around 140% (they definitely can be killed earlier, but this is in case they DI from my experience). But I do this a LOT. It helps me tremendously when I'm struggling to kill a spacy.

Against Falcon, you have to wait at least until 150% iirc. But usually I never have trouble gimping him. Against Falcon, it's important to use D-throw -> D-smash (or U-throw D-smash at 0%) to get him offstage or for consistent damage. Works pretty well especially if they're trying to combo DI, and it's better than B-throw at center stage (as long as you can read their DI).

Oh and I found a use for Dash attack. The move still sucks, but what it can do is outprioritize Raptor Boost/Gerudo Dragon.

Worth knowing especially because you can't shieldgrab either move and Mario's low range makes it very difficult to stuff those moves on reaction with other attacks. Otherwise B-air out of shield is ideal.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-air combos are good, but usually I only can combo with B-air against aerial opponents. At low percents if I don't space that optimally, people usually try to grab me out of it.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I recently won a tournament with only Mario. I came 1/54, and it was an "amateur" tournament.

j3ly

Smash Champion
nice, are there any vids or anything? any big names at the tournament or was it one that was sponsored by a games shop or something

are you comming to SNY? Its in birmingham in england, armada is comming

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
No, it was a society called "Brödraskapet Smash" (The brotherhood Smash) in the city Jönköping at an event called "Dreamhack" (Summerhack). Armada attended in the "pro tournament" instead, but I'm happy. =)

And I can see if I can find a video. I hope so.

j3ly

Smash Champion
aaaaahhhhh i see what you are saying now. because i was thinking, if there was an amateur tournament surely all the pros would join in so they could come first. i wish there were some tournaments like that in the UK, there are anime expo's which host tiny tournaments but thats about it

stick around and post a little :)

lord knows that we need more regular poster in the mario boards! any contribution is appreciated, if not by anybody else atleast by me

gratz on first place, lemme guess - the opposition was mostly marth?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hehe, thanks. =)
But I came very far in the "pro" tournament too, not the top 5, but I guess maybe over the average. And almost everyone used top tiers like Peach, Sheik, Falco and Marth against me. =/

But in the finale in the "amateur" tournament, I met my twin brother, xzx, who was Kirby (he is very good with him). But it was fun that no one knew how to do against a Mario aka the matchup. xP

And I am not very active in Melee, actually. I like Brawl more (as you can see on my avatar), but Melee is also fun.

Also sorry for my bad grammar, but I was born in Sweden, so English isn't my language.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
What's the deal with marios drill kick? it seems like i get punished half the time i use it. is that becuase i miss the lcancel or becuz the hit stun on the move isnt long enough. i usually pretty consistent with lcancelling all other moves in the game.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
the l cancel on dair is weird. I think you have to press L or R a little bit after or the animation ends rather than before like other moves. Try pressing the trigger a little after and directly as you hit the ground because I can't remember which works

mallu000

Smash Cadet
Yeah, L-canceling d-air is pretty confusing when you actually hit someone with all or at least with the last two or three hits. That something I don't like to do against spacies cause I just get f-smashed for missing the l cancel and that happens quite often.

Dart!

Smash Master
so what is "scorpion master"s supposed real name? i thought they said josh...if so, that actually is my name. LOL i have an idea...>.>

Top Bottom