• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate control schemes for Tap jump haters *for Up B OOS*

OverLade

Smash Hero
I dont like Tap jump. But I like up B OOS. =D

For ages I've been looking for a way to get one of MK's best techniques without hurting my gameplay. Importantly, I wanted to be able to REVERSE up B OOS.

Originally I tried setting Y to special, and moving my thumb across X and Y to up B OOS. This was a clumsy and difficult to pull off mid match.

---
Scheme 1:
Change R to Jump. Use R to jump out of shield and cancel it with B plus tilting up of the control stick. Lack of precision in the R button may make this uncomfortable.

Scheme 2:
Change R to special. Use X/Y to jump to cancel shield then use up tilt plus R to up B OOS. Relatively easy/Comforatable.

Exchange R with L if you use it to shield. I personally use L.

K 2

Smash Lord
That sounds like a good alternative for those who insist on tap jump off. I still perfer tap jump on however.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
halberd, what is it that causes you to dislike tap jump on so much with MK? I can see the benefits with other characters alot... but im wondering if there is something in particular that bugs you with mk.

Also, my suggestion for your controller setup is to stick with R for jump, but you should remove the springs from your shoulder buttons. This makes them much more easy, precise, and "digital" (as opposed to analog) than without. This would prevent you from needing to change z from grab. IMO, the least amount of changes to controller setup, the better--you don't want to get used to a specific setup and then end up deciding you don't like it (for whatever reason) and then having to change it back.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I was wondering about that how do you remove the springs from your controller?

And I 2nd Falco, and use quite a few other characters, which is why I dont like tap jump?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I was wondering about that how do you remove the springs from your controller?
get a tri-wing screw driver (and a small phillips screw driver wich you will need for the screws inside the controller above the L and R button ). you can get both of them for like 1$ plus like 1$ shipping on Ebay if you have a credit card.
the triwing i believe isnt made to much in the US, but its extremely inexpensive.

after that its extremely simple, and you can just PM me if you actually get lost. but you just open up the controller and take out the springs XD (i took out the rumble in mine to)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I can't play without tap jump. :p

Tap jump on ftw!

I change my controller to something that makes no sense to most people though. :p

l = b, y = shield. I did this when I played Peach to make it easier to turnip free pull without having to bstick. (Y is shield because 3 jumps is a waste) I got used to the controller this way, so now my l button is a tornado panic button. :p

Toneh

Smash Lord
Bah, this isn't melee you know.

Have any brawl tournmaents actually banned modded controllers yet?
nah its not banned.
I have my springs taken out :p.
Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Ive done it for mine and some friends.
You can use a small phillips head or flathead if you dont have that tri-wing, its just harder lol.

So muchh easier to shielddd =)
Or jump the way you had it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRsXmY6d0E
That should help. Start at 1:25.
You can either take out the springs, or if it feels too short you can cut them shorter to just the right length you like.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I tried a small phillips and flathead and it didn't work.

Need to find someone with a Tri head driver. 7_7

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
I prefer tap jump on with MK i find i can gimp (footstool) alot with it on and i like the up air string you get with it but thats me..

OverLade

Smash Hero
I just found an alternate scheme which I find far easier.

Try setting R to special, then use the normal jump button and cancel it with R. I haven't tested it extensively, but it's pretty comfortable.

Top Bottom