• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Characters Match-up Chart (9/07 update)

A-Laon

Smash Master
Yes Captain loses to Pikachu. Here's why:

Pika can chain throw Captain
Pika's downsmash goes through Captain's arials
Pika's downsmash holds Captain easily because he's a fast faller (can still smash DI out)
Pika can combo Captain nicely
Pika's uair semi spike ***** the crap out of Captain's recovery

Captain kicks Pika's *** too, but I think the advantages Pika has put more restraint on Captain's play style, leading me to agree with the 4-5 matchup.

Please flame me for having an opinion. :)
This is all true. Not to mention the fact that Pikachu's uair and utilt, when spaced well, can beat a lot of Falcon's aerials. And who gives a crap about uair spiking his recovery? There's almost no moves Pikachu CAN'T use to edgeguard Falcon (which is why, personally, I like to torment recovering Falcons as long as possible :) ).

Anyway, the match-up is still relatively even as Falcon can do a lot to Pikachu as well, and Pikachu definitely doesn't have the staying power to survive most of it. Pikachu comes out with a slight advantage.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Yes Captain loses to Pikachu. Here's why:

Pika can chain throw Captain
Pika's downsmash goes through Captain's arials
Pika's downsmash holds Captain easily because he's a fast faller (can still smash DI out)
Pika can combo Captain nicely
Pika's uair semi spike ***** the crap out of Captain's recovery

Captain kicks Pika's *** too, but I think the advantages Pika has put more restraint on Captain's play style, leading me to agree with the 4-5 matchup.

Please flame me for having an opinion. :)
I'll grant you that Pika can combo Falcon rather well, but suffice to say that it cuts both ways.

A lot of attacks go through Falcon's aerials. Truth be told, his aerial priority is pretty lackluster. However, Falcon beats people by circumventing their priority, not challenging it. A good example of this is Marth (who also doesn't have an advantage on Falcon, speaking of which). So, I will grant you that Pika's dsmash is pretty obtrusive to Falcon. However, any Pikachu players that think, "Oh, I'll just dsmash because it beats all his aerials!" will find themselves getting punished a lot.

I feel I should point out that Falcon is easily edgeguarded by just about anybody, so it's not really worth noting as a distinct advantage held by any one character.

And lol @ Pika's dsmash holding Falcon. It does how much? 14% if every hit connects?

I won't flame you for having an opinion. I just think you're a tad misguided. :) I don't know if you play Pika or Falcon or whatever, but I know from personal experience that a lot of Pika's shit just looks good on paper.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Pika has a crazy combo game but the rat doesn't do alot of dmg.
Pika can CG Falcon but don't forget that Pika has one of the worst grabs in the game.

I agree with ZoSo... Pika just looks very good on paper and this should be an even matchup (I dont want to say 4.5-5.5 so I'll just say even)

Btw, has Chu Dat ever used his Pika against a Falcon b4???

mood4food77

Smash Hero
he can't combo CF as well as other characters can, like ness

pika is probably at a slight disadvantage

phanna, update this thing, we've been complaining for liek 5 months

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
I would agree with the Fox/Pichu match-up, I think a 2 suffices as a "severe" match-up. My friend's Pichu can beat Zig Zag's Pikachu (these are midwest smashers, Zig's Pika is the best pika in the state) sometimes, but gets totally owned by my Fox, and my Fox isn't that good but as long as I upthrow upair Pichu's dead under 90 on any map. IMO though, the match-up chart should just have 5 stats across. "Severe" "Tough" "Even" "Advantage" "Easy", as examples of the different types of match-ups. That way it would still be useful but people wouldn't complain about it as much. i'm sure the people who already know match-ups don't look at the current chart anyway. I have a feeling that people mostly look at the match-ups chart because they have no idea about a particular match-up (the young link vs peach caught me by surprise). There was something else I wanted to say but I forgot. Never watch movies while typing replies folks.

Asimio

Smash Apprentice
Okay, after reading in multiple places i've come to know that Fox, Sheik and Marth are of the bestest characters. I'm confused about Falco, according to the chart he should be there too.
Can't someone come up with a comparative article between these three characters, (Four if you include Falco) weighing out their pros and their cons, the effectivity of their moves, speed and other attributes?

By the way, I just burried my N64 (along with my love Super Smash Bros) since i bought a Wii. I'm getting Melee soon and i'm trying to choose which character i should TRY to master.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Falco's really tough for CF, I know from a CF main (best in the state) that he hated Falcon b/c everyone got good with Falco, and he hated having to shield constantly and roll to be able to just get away from the "**** lasers". You ALWAYS have to say "****" right before "lasers" when referring to Falco.

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Falco's really tough for CF, I know from a CF main (best in the state) that he hated Falcon b/c everyone got good with Falco, and he hated having to shield constantly and roll to be able to just get away from the "**** lasers". You ALWAYS have to say "****" right before "lasers" when referring to Falco.
I couldn't agree more. Falco's lasers force CF to make an over-agressive approach, which will be severely punished.

This doesn't just apply for CF. It applys for many characters (mostly low tier) that have no range.

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't agree more. Falco's lasers force CF to make an over-agressive approach, which will be severely punished.

This doesn't just apply for CF. It applys for many characters (mostly low tier) that have no range.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
Falco and Falcon is not that bad for Falcon.

It's, at worst, 6-4 in Falco's favor.

And Sync: Stop please.
Stop WHAT?

These are my opinions, if you disagree tell me what you disagree about instead of telling me to shut up XP

I agree that it's a 6-4 match-up. I'm going off personal experience from smashers that I normally play, but they study their mains and they know what their weaknesses are. The Falcons hate Falcos, in fact, most have abandoned Falcon simply because Falco exists.

shotafan

Smash Cadet
Peach doesn't do that bad againts Y.Links...if anything, Fox should be a greater counter (the chart makes it look like Y. Link would do better againts a Peach than a Fox...which simply isn't true CUZ FOX IS A B*TCH!)

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The Falcons hate Falcos, in fact, most have abandoned Falcon simply because Falco exists.
I'd say there are worse reasons to quit Falcon.

I've never had that much trouble dealing with lasers. It's everything else about Falco that's annoying.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
An excellent point my good sir, hence why Falco's second on both the tier list and the match-ups chart totals. Yet, the firsts go to Fox and Sheik, respectively. I also disagree with the Falco vs Peach match-up, if anything it's even, not in Peach's favor.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
peach floats over SHL, comes in with aerial, dsmash hits for 2 hits minimum

falco can't do anything about it, he can try and mindgame but peach's dsmash ***** falco, and her throw set ups

falco's comboes are way inferior to peach's comboes

enigmaglue

Smash Cadet
I belive the main idea of this was to show that there is no imbalance between characters. People who say that you "Counter-Charactered" are ususally not as skilled. I don't mean this in a negative way.

squaminator

Smash Ace
there definitely is imbalance. the best way to show which characters will win the most is to show which ones have the most favorable matchups, relative to the dittos.

Smash Master
Pika can kill Jiggs at very low percents. Jiggs has trouble killing Pika until very high percents, since Pika can't really be edgeguarded or rested.

FireceLink

Smash Cadet
It should not be based on this chart or tier list should be just ranked by how goos you are with the actual character

Smash Master
Well, Jiggs has no WoP, no rest, no combos whatsoever, and no edgeguard against Pika. Pika has the strongest vertical KO move in the game. It's worse than Fox. At least Jiggs can combo Fox.

Top Bottom