• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
yeah this happened to me last semester with my chem 101 :x i have no clue why they would care so much but i was drawing a point probability or radial probability graph and i unintentionally put a SLIGHT curve to a line and they marked it wrong...
Bell curves man.

its pretty sick dude! if you've got interest in sound it goes pretty much anywhere
Yeah, not going to lie. I've become a bit of an audiophile, so working with sound would be pretty boss. Not to mention the physics of sound in general interest me.

What other programs follow the same kind of idea?

T-block

B2B TST
cpc sounds cool... i think it was my fourth choice

imo you just have to resign yourself to the fact that you're gonna see a lot of ****ty marking. just don't be afraid to argue for anything you were denied imo

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, not going to lie. I've become a bit of an audiophile, so working with sound would be pretty boss. Not to mention the physics of sound in general interest me.

What other programs follow the same kind of idea?
well there are fast track programs offered by studios where your show up with whoever else signed up for like 3 months or so and they show you the ropes and i guess some people are successfull with that, I never really looked into it because I'm not sure if I'll want to be working in a studio all the time, plus they don't cover a lot of the stuff I'm interested in. There's a few of these programs offered in Calgary, I'm not sure about Edmonton [Carl probably knows].

a degree in new media could also get you working with sound though not as sweet of a job I don't think, I don't really know much about it but the new media students really suck with sound most of the time, they usually watch anime and make ****ty flash stuff. There's also video game design in new media I believe... a month or so ago somebody asked me to work on the sound for some racing game but I don't really like racing games and was too lazy to email him back lol.

oh and this http://www.voxboxstudios.com/ lol

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
SPEAKING OF BAD MARKING

my chem lab TA likes to find stuff to mark incorrectly in my prelabs/postlabs, so i wrote down 7 for a pH because the least amount of sig digs in the question is 1 (from 0.5 M and 5 x 10^7 mL and 0.05 mL), yet she took off a mark and said i was missing a sig dig? is my teacher dumb or am i missing something? i don't wanna be a jew and make a big deal about 1 mark but she does this quite often and i'm getting tired of it

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
Speaking of sig digs... My first physics test ever... everything 1 sig dig... which I put on the test... the teacher gave me a 4/14 T.T. So sadd :(. Did jew about my mark though :p

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
the shoddy marking is sometimes a good thing

on my 250 exam i got 3/2 on one of the questions, and in my 295 i got a mark when i shouldn't have.

good times.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i got As on both those exams with or without the marks haha.

i hate when profs/TAs give out pity marks. THOSE SLACKERS DON'T DESERVE THEM

oh random story 10 people got caught cheating in this semesters physics 230 class on the most recent assignment (what a bunch of rookies), and got sent to the dean. Also the midterm average for that class this semester was 20% and the highest mark in the class was 52% lololololol

Tyson651

Smash Lord
it seems like they only care about sig digs in 1st (and maybe 2nd) year.

i dont even remember the last time i actually cared about my sig digs. i usually just have 3 or 4 for every number i write lol.

edit:

@victor

hey, i slack. shaddap.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
i got As on both those exams with or without the marks haha.

i hate when profs/TAs give out pity marks. THOSE SLACKERS DON'T DESERVE THEM

oh random story 10 people got caught cheating in this semesters physics 230 class on the most recent assignment (what a bunch of rookies), and got sent to the dean. Also the midterm average for that class this semester was 20% and the highest mark in the class was 52% lololololol
That's so ****ing stupid. Why make a test that incredibly hard?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
in my surverying class, they're really picky about sig digs. If a number ends with 5 you're supposed to round to the odd number instead of up. Like 7.35 would be rounded to 7.3 as opposed to 7.4. Hella weird.

Yeah i have no idea. It was hilariously brutal. I had a friend drop and like, a large majority of the class got below 10% so funny. So glad i wasn't in that class.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
And apparently the test was easier this semester. My class' average was 48% and my prof was like "that's a good average I come from the british system blah blah blah" and I got average without knowing what the **** I was doing. Zuyue was stressing cause he had to tell his prof he wasn't cheating. I still dunno if he cheated or not haha.

I don't know any more about electricity or magnetism than when I started that class. I only know how to calculate its effects under specific circumstances.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
hahahah yeah zuyue was hilarious. he was the one who told me what had happened in his class.

he def did. he was using some solution he found online as did everyone else in his class haha.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
deadmau5 is ****, stop hating.
Ask a woman about ****, its not cool. Nor is deadmau5.

I never said I hated him, I just think he is super-duper overrated. I like a couple of his songs, but on average, he is meh. More background music than anything.

Worst bang for the buck show I went to was deadmau5 IMO

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
unless you're talking about his summer performance, he only came on dec 30th and 31st for 18+ new year's party and i know you're in g10 or g11 so...

he isn't overrated, you just gotta learn not treat how good an artist is by how many fanboys they have, something most people haven't figured out yet

Frio

Smash Champion
Do any of you know Chinese.

How do you ask: "Are you at school" would it be

你在学校的

Someone is telling me to remove the 的

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Yeah i have no idea. It was hilariously brutal. I had a friend drop and like, a large majority of the class got below 10% so funny. So glad i wasn't in that class.
lmao

And I thought my recent math midterm with a class average of 44% was low. I never thought I'd be ok with a 60% on a midterm, but University has shown me the way.

:005:

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
unless you're talking about his summer performance, he only came on dec 30th and 31st for 18+ new year's party and i know you're in g10 or g11 so...

he isn't overrated, you just gotta learn not treat how good an artist is by how many fanboys they have, something most people haven't figured out yet
lolol, december 30th was 16+

You still think I'm a minor :awesome:

No, I'm not a hipster, I do not dislike him because he is mainstream, I am only adding that it is odd how a rather untalented artist would attract so many fans.

Don't take any of this personally, I am not insulting your taste in music. In fact, I think you have great taste in EDM, you did post that link to zomboy which I thoroughly enjoyed and am now following. I am just not a fan of deceasedrod3nt at all.

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
Carl I'm glad you clicked that lmfao i thought you'd hate that. I talked to the guy that runs the school he's ********

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
i wouldn't really call him untalented riley cause he isn't a DJ =/ no offense to DJs
December 30th, that's all he did was DJ.

http://www.djmag.com/top100 He is ranked #4 as a DJ. Although, I find DJ mag's list to be pretty bogus despite many artists liking it.

What I said above was meant to critique his producing skills, not his DJ skills. I do think he is a better DJ than a producer though.

Not to mention my favourite song by him is only half made by him. Ghosts 'n stuff is a collaboration of him and Rob Swire. I LOVE ROB SWIRE <3333. But I will admit that deadmau5 did a good job on the song as well.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
DJ Mag is bull****, and deadmau5 has said himself that he hates DJs:

“It puts me to ****ing sleep to be quite honest, I don’t really see the technical merit in playing two songs at the same speed together and it bores me to ****ing tears and hopefully with all due respect to the dj type that will ****ing go the way of the dinosaur id like them to dis-a-****ing-pear. Joel continued, its so middle man,they’re like ****ing lawyers. You need them, but they’re ****ing ****s. God bless them they’re my number one customer right so I’m not gonna go diss every ****ing DJ. But to say you become this massive up on a podium performer by playing other peoples productions at the same speed as someone else’s productions and fading between the two of them, I don’t get it.”

pm me if you wanna keep talking about this cause i'm sure people are tired of my spam :(

Limeee

Smash Champion
DJ Mag is bull****, and deadmau5 has said himself that he hates DJs:

“It puts me to ****ing sleep to be quite honest, I don’t really see the technical merit in playing two songs at the same speed together and it bores me to ****ing tears and hopefully with all due respect to the dj type that will ****ing go the way of the dinosaur id like them to dis-a-****ing-pear. Joel continued, its so middle man,they’re like ****ing lawyers. You need them, but they’re ****ing ****s. God bless them they’re my number one customer right so I’m not gonna go diss every ****ing DJ. But to say you become this massive up on a podium performer by playing other peoples productions at the same speed as someone else’s productions and fading between the two of them, I don’t get it.”

pm me if you wanna keep talking about this cause i'm sure people are tired of my spam :(
source?

:009:

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I'm starting to get sick of white people getting all anal retentive about electronic music. And trust me it's only white people (possibly asians as well).

-warning I'm a huge hater-

In the early 80's when nobody cared about electronic music a bunch of guys just threw a bunch of machines together and made what they thought were cool sounds. Same thing today except now people actually care about what's good and what's not when in reality most of it is just **** high school dance friendly rehashes of what other real groundbreaking artists did already.

Instead of diddling around with cool sounding noises artists are overproducing the **** out of their tracks. Glitchy electro stuttering garbage, a billion layered filtered trance synths, 2 minute long hands in the air moment where you clap along with some pauly d jerkoff. All of that **** is old and done and done again. At least dubstep has some cool *** noises and some attitude but since its ****ing everywhere it's not refreshing at all and just sounds the same as the other garbage.

I'm even frustrated with techno these days (and I love techno with every part of my body). It's all boring minimal crap where all the focus is making the biggest baddest bassline filtered through 16 computers and putting some uninteresting wanna-be-funky house percussion ontop. Where's the attitude? where's the soul?

Edit: That mouse guy is right believe it or not. DJ worship is a cardinal sin as far as I'm concerned. If he's not doing some bomb *** DMC mixing he might as well be a record player.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
yeah carl i agree with pretty much everything you said, and i remember you've said at least once before that white people have a problem dividing genres into subgenres into subsubgenres, etc. and i totally agree with that because i can't even keep up with half the **** people are saying nowadays, which is why i'll listen to a song if it's good and not worry about the ****ing genre if i like it (country music, however...)

like what the **** is the point of subdividing something like house into more specific **** like "acid house?" does anybody actually care?

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
lol stereotypes

Your first paragraph doesn't really support your argument in saying that people actually care what is good. This means people have acquired taste, which is good. I do agree however about the high school dance crap, I'm sick and tired of commercial music and yes, the industry has been slowly making its way towards EDM.

Artists do diddle around with cool sounding noises today. Overproducing usually is bad, but overproducing can be very hard to do, seeing as how making cool sounds requires producing and all the old cool sounds have already been overused. I will admit, lots of glitchy music such as fidget house gets super repetitive, but that doesn't mean it all is, there are always good tracks. The whole pauly d thing though, are you talking about the chorus/melody? Doesn't almost every song ever in almost every genre have a chorus??

I do agree that dubstep has become very mainstream now, but at least you do not hear it on the radio and it is still played a lot less than house.
I was only in to techno for a brief period in my life, I have nothing to say about it.

The mouse guy is right, DJs rarely have much talent. In fact, DJing has pretty much become a long lost skill, it's pretty much only crossfading now.

Personally, I am not a fan of most of the 80's stuff, in fact, I am not a fan of most pre-21st century stuff. There are, as with everything, exceptions. But in general, I am not a fan. You see, EDM has moved a long way since the 80's. No longer is it a bunch of guys making some beats on keyboards and synths, but now it is produced with many layers and effects. There is much more going on and it is much more entertaining. Dozens of instruments can be used now, making the sound much more dynamic. To lots of people EDM sounds the same; usually because like 70% of it is house and sticks to the four on the floor beat. But personally, I love it. I am able to hear all the little things going on and it really takes away from the repetitiveness that the older stuff had.

Genres and subgenres are important for this reason, you can filter out the stuff that you do not like or find funky.

I do agree that there is a lot of overproduced sh*t right now and the scene in general has become pretty commercial, but you just have to sort through it and find what you like, what you love.

But when you think about it, doesn't every genre of music follow this same pattern but to more of an extent? Rock? Hip-hop? Reggae? R&B? They have all become self-similar within their own genres.

Anyway, I'll leave you with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8yx4k4tzqE

Downtempo; not even close to overproduced. If you like it, check out lemon jelly's other stuff.

like what the **** is the point of subdividing something like house into more specific **** like "acid house?" does anybody actually care?
As I said, it helps categorize music, so you can find what you like more easily.

You don't need to care about genres and subgenres if you don't like, it won't effect you.

Just think of it though, without genres, you could call the rolling stones Death Metal

Top Bottom