• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Stevo

Smash Champion
stevo went into engineering but transferred/dropped out.
I've taken probably 1.5 years of engineering courses, so I guess I still count.
Plus, I'm an engineer at heart.

For as long as there is work to do on this planet, there will be work for engineers.

It isn't ALWAYS for a lot of money though. A couple of my friends only make 40k per year at their job, which is very average. But they do some environmental crap. The more you hug a tree, the less money you make.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
Lol no offense to your friends but the average pay for a new grad is 60k.

Your friends are getting super ripped off but you're right about the tree hugging thing.

Even in co op, only first work term (2nd year) students make that low, sometimes higher.

Stevo

Smash Champion
no yea, I agree.

if you really want to, you should make 60k.

my girlfriend makes 60k as a teacher.

Hell, I make 60k and I dont even have a degree completed.

oh and Carl, yea I agree, making 40k is actually fine, you can live off that easy.
Which is why you shouldnt pick a job based on how much you will make. Make sure you do something you like.

Its fine to do something you dont like temporarily to make some extra cash, but make sure you dont end up in your 50s and say "why did I do that for 30 years?"

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
It's ok you're working for shell. We understand if you're making a super crazy amount of cash money

Stevo

Smash Champion
Yea I guess I shouldnt really tell people what I make either.
but I was just trying to get accross that you can make money a lot of ways.

Engineering is a pretty good choice though as long as you enjoy it.

Teaching: You pay the univeristy to go work as a teacher for work experience and take a job on the side because you get NOTHING.

Engineering: you get paid top dollar to go for work experience during school, and get top dollar when you get out.

Shell is a really ******** company. People make like million dollar mistakes everyday there and yet still the company profits.

THey pay crazy good though.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
Shell is a really ******** company. People make like million dollar mistakes everyday there and yet still the company profits.

THey pay crazy good though.
I think you mean all oil companies lol.

Like suncor ducks and bp spill etc haha

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
But they do some environmental crap. The more you hug a tree, the less money you make.
It's a shame that heroes get paid exponentially less than criminals :scared:

Edit: Carl did I see you at the Telus plaza bus station around 5ish? I wasn't wearing my corrective optics and couldn't tell

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
the only reason enve is paid less is not because they're tree huggers but that they're all women

:trollface:
yo vic what'd you get on your stats
i got 88 haha. i swear to god if you beat me in your first year science statistics class i'm gonna smack your face.

Seb

Smash Rookie
Depends where you work.. Avg in edmonton is around 60K for an engineer.. fort mac around 100+K.... you can live well on 60K if you are smart with it! It also depends on the discipline.... Is everyone here an engineer haha

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Man in english today we discussed how the meaning of a song can change dramatically depending on how you sing it, how it's preformed, what instruments you use and if you selectively choose parts of the lyrics to sing.

Was tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

(like Jack's mom).

t3h Icy

Smash Master
So after the whole dealie with Plank, Ministry walks out of Pound 5 with the 2nd most winnings. Aww yeeyuh. :D <3

Tyson651

Smash Lord
Depends where you work.. Avg in edmonton is around 60K for an engineer.. fort mac around 100+K.... you can live well on 60K if you are smart with it! It also depends on the discipline.... Is everyone here an engineer haha
No one is an EIT yet but just all students.

Falsefalco and victor (Korean named guy) are 2nd year mecE and civE respectively.

T block is 3rd year compE, dragonz is 1st year I think, and I'm 4th year chemE lol.

Just quite a bit of engg students in here lol.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
the only reason enve is paid less is not because they're tree huggers but that they're all women

:trollface:

i got 88 haha. i swear to god if you beat me in your first year science statistics class i'm gonna smack your face.
88 is that an A?

i got 85, 17/20 =( i'm really disappointed because 5 minutes after i handed in my exam i realized i made a mistake and i knew the answer but it was too late, and then another mistake was just a miscalculation on my calculator ._. but it's still aite cause it's an A-

stats is sooooo easy compared to calc, i can't believe some arts students complain that they have to take this course, i skipped 2-3 weeks worth of class, crammed last night before the test and never bought the textbook and i would've been ****ed if i did that for calc

Dragonz7

Smash Apprentice
How do you like chemE btw Tyson? I have to make my decision soon but im pretty sure on chemE just wanted to know what you think about it :)

My thermo exam had 2 questions, out of 50 each. I got 50 on one question and 14 on the other. ****. :l

lol i didnt go to stats class... at all xD

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
david pulled the worst dragonz combo on me today

he said he was in cam basement and my friends and i were already there but we couldn't find him, and he's texting us saying "i see you!" and then we figured out he was lying the entire time

-_-

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
88 is that an A?

i got 85, 17/20 =( i'm really disappointed because 5 minutes after i handed in my exam i realized i made a mistake and i knew the answer but it was too late, and then another mistake was just a miscalculation on my calculator ._. but it's still aite cause it's an A-

stats is sooooo easy compared to calc, i can't believe some arts students complain that they have to take this course, i skipped 2-3 weeks worth of class, crammed last night before the test and never bought the textbook and i would've been ****ed if i did that for calc
yeah its an A. class average was 60 some percent. It was hilarious. Really? It's the opposite for me haha. I think calc is way easier than any course.

My thermo exam had 2 questions, out of 50 each. I got 50 on one question and 14 on the other. ****. :l
my friend in mece last year got 99/100 because one of her lines weren't straight. legit.

on that note, my friend lost 2 marks on an EE quiz because the first letter of his last name wasn't clear. The TA even fixed it in red pen. it was hilarious.
david pulled the worst dragonz combo on me today

he said he was in cam basement and my friends and i were already there but we couldn't find him, and he's texting us saying "i see you!" and then we figured out he was lying the entire time

-_-
crouching david hidden dragonz

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
my friend in mece last year got 99/100 because one of her lines weren't straight. legit.
yeah this happened to me last semester with my chem 101 :x i have no clue why they would care so much but i was drawing a point probability or radial probability graph and i unintentionally put a SLIGHT curve to a line and they marked it wrong...

Tyson651

Smash Lord
How do you like chemE btw Tyson? I have to make my decision soon but im pretty sure on chemE just wanted to know what you think about it :)

lol i didnt go to stats class... at all xD
i really think its based on what you like.

chemE isn't really what many people think it is actually. they think it's gonna be quite chemistry heavy, but it actually isn't.

i can tell you now what courses you will be taking.

thermodynamics
fluid mechanics
mass transfer
heat transfer
process and dynamic control
reactor analysis
equilibrium stages and processes
reactor project design

the only course that REALLY digs into chemistry at all would be thermo (as you know you're taking thermo 1, you will take thermo 2 and thats it).

fluid mechanics, heat transfer are more physics based. though very broad, its pretty close to what mecEs would take as well.

mass transfer and equilibrium stages/processes are pretty much hand in hand on the same subject. this is one of the things specialized for only chemEs to learn. its pretty much algebra, graph readings, and calcuations.

most of the stuff will be things like mass transfer of fluid, air between things eg. phases (air/water), and for the equilibrium course its calculations of distillation columns (you remember distillation in chem 103/105 right) and those things.

process/dynamics control is more towards learning about controllers in processes, and using laplace transforms define controllers to "control" a system. eg. if water in a pipeline is flowing too slow, the controller will make the valve open more to let more water through. mecEs also take this course.

then finally, reactor analysis, and reactor design. basically you learn about the types of reactors (where chemical reactions or w/e occur right) and how to calculate mass/mole/energy balances inside. its kinda like thermo and stuff, but there's nothing really in depth to learn. mainly its math based. reactor design is your project course where you'll be designing a process or a plant based on the scenario project given to you by your prof. you're gonna work in a group so it'll be a good experience (though hard and stressful) on knowing all the economics, basic chemE (mass/energy balances) calculations, and stuff about whether your plant is making money and worth the design and etc.

overall, i think chemE is a pretty good choice. the discipline is rated pretty high in quality, and chemEs naturally make more money than other disciplines (besides petE, but who says chemE can't go to fort mac and earn loads of cash either? lol and no offense to other disciplines :p) thanks to the amazing oil and gas industry here in alberta.

i'll really recommend going into co-op. you'll really thank me later for telling you to go into it when you graduate and you've basically secured a permanent job with a company or have an amazing resume from all the work experience.

and i'll also point out biomedical (and nanotechnology) options are useless. they can't even apply their biomed stuff in their work and i always find them having worse job placements during co op, not to mention you have to take biology, yuck. some people might have different opinions, but i'm no nerd, and i'm in it for the money so ya lol.

yeah this happened to me last semester with my chem 101 :x i have no clue why they would care so much but i was drawing a point probability or radial probability graph and i unintentionally put a SLIGHT curve to a line and they marked it wrong...
cause they won't know if you intended for a linear line, or a non-linear line lol.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
uofa actually has the best chemical engineering program in canada and is among the top 5% in NA which is very impressive

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
the curve was so slight though tyson, and it was pretty insignificant to the answer of the question because it was mostly about drawing peaks and troughs in the graph. i was pretty salty about it because my friend who didn't even draw it properly got the mark for it due to an easy TA and she didn't show **** for that exam

Dragonz7

Smash Apprentice
Wow thanks Tyson! good read. :) I'm kinda looking forward to the upcoming years, although i dont know how much more stress i can take these days. Transition from science to engg has been brutal in terms of grades. Hopefully i get into the co-op program...

I should look into CPC a bit more, i dont think i have to the marks to get into that though :l

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah man. even though i killed my midterms i still have like, no motivation for school anymore haha. so freaking lazy.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
the curve was so slight though tyson, and it was pretty insignificant to the answer of the question because it was mostly about drawing peaks and troughs in the graph. i was pretty salty about it because my friend who didn't even draw it properly got the mark for it due to an easy TA and she didn't show **** for that exam
you could always talk to the prof about how its stupid, they'd be willing to change it and give you the mark for it.

Wow thanks Tyson! good read. :) I'm kinda looking forward to the upcoming years, although i dont know how much more stress i can take these days. Transition from science to engg has been brutal in terms of grades. Hopefully i get into the co-op program...

I should look into CPC a bit more, i dont think i have to the marks to get into that though :l
i think CPC is alright. nothing too special though. unless you really like what they do (process and dynamic control basically lol), i suggest general chemE is probably the best way to go.

co op chemE is only 2.3, so do your best to get that mark!

Top Bottom