• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Never

Ever

Ever.

I call it the engineer inflation theory. 70% of people I know want to be engineers. There will be a lack of engineering jobs. Not only that, but if you haven't noticed, there really isn't much left in this world to develop. I understand engineering smaller things, like chem and whatnot, but large scale engineers are obsolete now, the only large scale productions we should be doing is vertical. We've already f*cked nature over pretty bad here.

Victor is right that you're too young, I think it's pretty safe to say you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lol Riley. Even then, civil engineering splits into so many specialized disciplines. For the most part, a lot of them have a lot more to do with sustaining, planning and regulating infrastructure etc than designing and developing. Pretty much everything Tyson has said. Even then, on the topic of "larger scale" development, there's the future lrt expansion which is planned to spiderweb across the city, integrating itself into the suburbs, downtown, etc. It's in the planning stages atm (with a few about to undergo development like the kingsway station etc). The project isn't set to complete until 2040 and by then there's going to be a huge need for engineers of all disciplines as by then many engineers will have retired.

but yeah

civil engineering is only a small slice of the pie

plus, 70% of the people you know want to be engineers, but 90% of those people won't make it =P
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

civil engineering is the sexiest slice of the pie though.

freaking the engineering faculty.
they always tell you in 1st year to look at the person on your left, and on your right. then that only 1 of you 3 will make it to the next year lol.
This is classic. It must be traditional for them haha.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
CivE technically includes mining and petro as well. I hate those 2 disciplines though. The most unlegit engineering degrees ever. Everyone in mining seems like a douche lmao.

LOOOOOL i'm actually jealous of compE. I really wish I was exposed to it as an earlier time or if i was just naturally good at programming. I personally think its the best discipline. (and ultra sexy even with the extreme lack of women.)

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilMblBjoRz0&feature=aso
they always tell you in 1st year to look at the person on your left, and on your right. then that only 1 of you 3 will make it to the next year lol.
In first year I will wave goodbye to the person on my left, then wave goodbye to the person on my right, because I want them to know that only one of us will make it to next year.

Also, who plays LoL here again? Add DumberChild if you want to kick my ***. Please and thank you! =D

Someone will purposefully interpret my pompous joke wrong.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, totally saw engineers as stereotypical blueprint builders xD

Thanks for clarifying it for me you guys

the much larger engineering side is to regulate and continue the process of the engineering tasks. engineers who take care of process plants are retiring, who are going to take over to continue monitoring, maintaining, and regulating the plant? future engineers.
Oh, I didn't take this into account. You are totally right though, maintenance is a huge part.

I still stand about new developments. Most of them are pretty dumb. Although environmentally friendly stuff such as the LRT and building vertically is cool.

CivE technically includes mining and petro as well. I hate those 2 disciplines though. The most unlegit engineering degrees ever. Everyone in mining seems like a douche lmao.
Yea, that sounds stupid. They probably are douches who made their uni money in fort mac >.>

Victor is right that you're too young, I think it's pretty safe to say you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
More of a clue than your drunk smashboards posts :awesome:

T-block

B2B TST
tbh i don't know much about mining and petro. i do think it's odd they get their own discipline though.

compE....meh. i bet you'd get sick of programming fast

Dragonz7

Smash Apprentice
Oddly enough, mining had a really good if not the best presentation in ENGG 100/101 :( Convinced two of my friends to switch from their original discipline and choose mining.

Lols all the petro guy did was make money gesture with his fingers and said they make alot of money over and over again.

FalseFalco

Smash Master

LOOOOOL i'm actually jealous of compE. I really wish I was exposed to it as an earlier time or if i was just naturally good at programming. I personally think its the best discipline. (and ultra sexy even with the extreme lack of women.)
I have so many white friends in mining I am not surprised by this statement. I think EE is the most valuable right now. Pretty much nothing in mec e can be done without some kind of electronics :(. That being said it's so ****ing boring I would not last a day. I'm already ready to blow out my brains taking my intro circuit analysis course.

Dragonz7 said:
Oddly enough, mining had a really good if not the best presentation in ENGG 100/101 :( Convinced two of my friends to switch from their original discipline and choose mining.
Mining had the WORST presentation in my year. They had a laidback 4th year alumni come talk about how he drove a truck for his summer job and he said he wasn't such a great student but "C's get degrees right? haha" at which point the mining chair pretty much pushed him off the mic and said "come out to info night there will be free beer and pizza!" and repeated this over and over. I didn't get any sense of what a mining engineer actually DOES. Petro at least they showed the little vid about mapping out oil reserves and such.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i got cooking spices from going to that petro first years night that was pretty sweet

i was thinking of taking EE or Thermo for my tech elective. Any opinions? The other option is mece250 but eff that shiz

Tyson651

Smash Lord
In first year I will wave goodbye to the person on my left, then wave goodbye to the person on my right, because I want them to know that only one of us will make it to next year.
if someone did that to me, i'd punch him in the face. then for sure he won't make it to the next year.

I still stand about new developments. Most of them are pretty dumb.
nowadays, its not really new developments, but more of maximizing efficiency with modifying past developments (or alternative methods than whatever is developed already).

my last work term was development, and i'll say that there's a whole crap load of stuff that still needs to be "developed".

eg. government regulations say that X pollution needs to be reduced by 40% in 2012, 50% in 2013, 60% in 2014.

you're gonna need to be making new developments or increasing efficiency if you wanna stay within the regulations.

i got cooking spices from going to that petro first years night that was pretty sweet

i was thinking of taking EE or Thermo for my tech elective. Any opinions? The other option is mece250 but eff that shiz
E E what and CH E 243?

FalseFalco

Smash Master
nowadays, its not really new developments, but more of maximizing efficiency with modifying past developments (or alternative methods than whatever is developed already).
SUCH A CHEM E THING TO SAY

I'm gonna build a fully functional optimus prime and then you won't know what to say.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lmfaooooo carl.

man i love you so much

you can't build an optimus prime without knowing electronics :trollface:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah i'm taking it third year as well. it depends

all that matters is that theres only 1.

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
sound engineerings a pretty cool guy. I get to listen to music and doesn't afraid of anything.
Also I get to use a dope studio
check this shiz

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
to be honest I'm not even suposed to use that board yet, not until after i pass a test next year, however I have used it a little bit. Those pot dials are just things like gain, pan, compressor, and stuff like that. you can just pull up an eq on the sequencer and it'll assign it to the mixer with a couple buttons. If you wanna check it out more its an SSL Duality, its pretty sick the studio costed ~1.3mil and is brand new this year. I checked it out last summer and it wasn't even built yet. I'm stuck using a not so great studio until I can take that test, its only like 16 channels and the isolation room isn't even properly soundproofed haha.

What do sound engineers do? Are they like the sound technician guys at concerts and studios?
Sound engineering basically could do anything involving sound depending on where you would want to go with it. In my first semester I programmed a synthesizer doing whatever I wanted, I've wrote some music, I've played some music, I've recorded, mixed, mastered (too a certain degree lol) I'm working on the pregame to designing some speakers at the moment. and in classes i've been recording live performances of classical ****.

SWEET BRO

Smash Rookie
i call out to him while he's talking to some ho, he looks at me

and says what

then turns back to the *****

Dragonz7

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like something i would do.

Except i wouldn't have even acknowledged you. =(

Top Bottom