• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Stevo

Smash Champion
Asian girls can be stuck up sometimes. But I'm friends with a couple pretty laid back ones who are also really good looking. Also one of my roomates is totally Wapanese and one of my roomates is also legit asian, but he is basically a twinkie..... and dislikes asians. Its funny cause my asian roomate will get angry at asian stuff, and my white roomate will be like "no thats cute and awesome".

Half asians can be pretty hot im not gonna lie.

Unless its half asian, half black. altho, tiger woods pulls that off pretty well....

I guess eventually we will all be tan coloured cause India and China have half the worlds population.

I wonder what would happun if everyone in china and india jumped at the same time.

Hippos should be on a gatorade commercial

FalseFalco

Smash Master
lol Luke is the worst at defending brawl

Luke said:
9:53:26 PM Luke: well
9:53:29 PM Luke: the second I played melee
9:53:32 PM Luke: i knew I liked it
9:53:39 PM Luke: playing u for the first time
9:53:43 PM Luke: I still liked it
9:53:48 PM Luke: i liked it even more
9:53:55 PM Luke: cause I saw how deep the game was

9:54:04 PM Carl: could be the same with 64
9:54:08 PM Carl: you have to like it first though
9:54:19 PM Carl: i cant play it because of that ****ing controller

9:54:23 PM Luke: if I have to work to like it, then why even play it?
9:54:30 PM Luke: kinda like you and brawl

9:54:35 PM Carl: yeah but theres a difference
9:54:41 PM Carl: because 64 isnt a bad game

9:54:43 PM Luke: omfg

9:54:44 PM Carl: :D

9:54:50 PM Luke: neither is brawl

9:54:58 PM Carl: brawl is trash
9:55:13 PM Carl: but you cant say 64 is trash
9:55:15 PM Carl: because it isnt

9:55:19 PM Luke: i don't think it is
9:55:29 PM Luke: but I think it's the worst of the 3

9:55:29 PM Carl: and thats the difference
9:55:39 PM Carl: but if you look at the mechanics
9:55:44 PM Carl: it isnt

9:55:59 PM Luke: be more specific

9:56:38 PM Carl: it offers a good risk-> reward system, has an edgeguard game, viable characters
9:56:45 PM Carl: it has issues for sure
9:56:52 PM Carl: but not as many issues as brawl

9:57:47 PM Luke: brawl has an edgegaurd game as well. It also rewards players that know how to get people to attack
9:58:12 PM Luke: It's one thing to camp
9:58:17 PM Luke: it's another thing to get players to attack

9:58:25 PM Carl: LOL

9:58:29 PM Luke: and that's what is rewarded in brawl
9:58:30 PM Luke: it's true
9:58:40 PM Luke: that's pretty much the base of the game

9:58:41 PM Carl: also i disagree with the edgeguarding

9:58:42 PM Luke: unless ur mk

9:58:50 PM Carl: get people to attack
9:58:55 PM Carl: thats hilarious
9:59:10 PM Carl: thats the opposite of a risk reward system

9:59:14 PM Luke: yeah

9:59:20 PM Carl: =bad game

9:59:24 PM Luke: why

9:59:36 PM Carl: you take a risk (attacking) and you get punished for it
9:59:44 PM Carl: you get rewarded for not taking risks

9:59:52 PM Luke: the only difference is that you're thinking about different things
9:59:59 PM Luke: in melee you are thinking about how to attack
10:00:07 PM Luke: in brawl you're thinking on how to get the other person to attack

10:00:10 PM Carl: yeah
10:00:17 PM Carl: in good fighting games you think about how to hit your opponent
10:00:30 PM Carl: and in bad ones you think about how to get the other person to attack

10:00:36 PM Luke: says who?

10:00:37 PM Carl: its made for turtling
10:00:42 PM Carl: says fighting games

10:00:48 PM Luke: it's not like it's common sense
10:00:52 PM Luke: you can't just say that

10:01:13 PM Carl: you can go to sleep at night and tell yourself that getting rewarded for not taking risks makes sense
10:01:17 PM Carl: ?

10:01:30 PM Luke: you can still take risks in brawl
10:01:44 PM Luke: just it's more risky
10:01:46 PM Luke: lol

10:01:52 PM Carl: no actually it isnt
10:02:06 PM Carl: in 64 if you take a risk and get punished you lose a stock

10:02:06 PM Luke: oh cause you can't get combod

10:02:10 PM Carl: in melee you get *****
10:02:13 PM Carl: in brawl you get hit once

10:02:28 PM Luke: or three times
10:02:36 PM Luke: sometimes 4

10:02:44 PM Carl: nothing meaningful

10:02:48 PM Luke: sure it is

10:02:54 PM Carl: no
10:02:56 PM Carl: it isnt
10:03:09 PM Carl: it further shows how broken the risk reward is

10:03:11 PM Luke: in a game where it's really hard to land hits, due to the really strong defensive game
10:03:19 PM Luke: every hit is important

10:03:35 PM Carl: yes, but FAR less important than in the other two games
10:03:38 PM Carl: which makes it a ****tier game

10:04:07 PM Luke: less important? possibly. But it makes matches closer
10:04:13 PM Luke: and I guess you could
10:04:19 PM Luke: take that and say
10:04:37 PM Luke: the skill needed to beat good players is reduced
10:04:50 PM Luke: but what is skill?
10:04:54 PM Luke: that's a whole new topic

10:04:59 PM Carl: ok you're failing

10:05:06 PM Luke: how

10:05:55 PM Carl: how the f does any of what you just said support your side of the argument
10:06:16 PM Carl: less skill needed to beat good players=bad game
10:06:20 PM Carl: matches closer=bad game

10:06:27 PM Luke: I am pretty much saying skill is not defined, so saying brawl takes less skill is silly

10:06:51 PM Carl: what
10:06:51 PM Carl: no
10:06:55 PM Carl: stop talking about skill
10:07:00 PM Carl: this has nothing to do with the players
10:07:09 PM Carl: it has everything to do with how the game works

10:07:10 PM Luke: yes it does
10:07:32 PM Luke: as much as I would like to continue I g2g...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
How is that a bad way of defending brawl? I think you did a bad job saying how it was ****. All I got was regurgitated bull****. "Brawl has bad edgegaurd game" and, "brawl has a bad risk reward system."

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
How is that a bad way of defending brawl? I think you did a bad job saying how it was ****. All I got was regurgitated bull****. "Brawl has bad edgegaurd game" and, "brawl has a bad risk reward system."
I don't know the exact intricacies of how brawl plays "competitively" but what Carl said is true. Magnet hands make edgeguarding impossible unless you're up against people with tethers. Also, the fact that everyone doesn't even die until mid 100's also is a big deal.

If you **** up in brawl, you can most likely recover or just air dodge your way to safety. If you **** up in 64 it's a stock loss (like Carl said). If you **** up in melee, it's a free combo for the enemy, or worse, a gimp resulting in a stock loss.

EDIT: Camping and "baiting opponents to attack you" are pretty much the same thing.

Hey I was wondering, how did that conversation get started anyways?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Edgegaurding in brawl: Go off the stage further, or if you have a spike, time it better. Going off stage with marth's fair, gaw's fair, falcos bair, MK's anything, lucas's up/b, ness's b, sonics dair bair and spring etc etc. are all viable ways of edgeguarding, and I have seen them all work many times.

It was started by me saying carl should have brawl at ct5 rofl.

Stevo

Smash Champion
what do you guys think of Brawl+?

I looked at the site for it and it looks like a lot of work is going into it.

altho i am dissapointed that they are trying to do a lot of character balance stuff....

Hopefully in the end they dont do too much of it. I will probably try it out.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Luke, if you're interested in an intellectually honest discussion of why Melee is better than Brawl (competitively, at non-noob skill level), PM me.

If you already know that is the case, and you're interested in an intellectually honest discussion of why it can be well argued that ssb64 is a better game than Brawl, PM me.

Brawl isn't a bad game, unless you want to play it well and play it often. Compared to Melee, which was something of pure gold, it looks even worse. Now, you CAN argue for Brawl over 64, but I don't think it's as legit. If you're looking for fun gameplay, all the extra characters and levels all disappear as an argument.

Half asians are pretty.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
There's a lot of mixed feelings about Brawl+. It's a homebrew hacked channel for the Wii that you download and install, so every update nintendo releases a channel to get rid of it, but it never works (I think this is how it is. I'm not one for Brawl so I'm not entirely sure.)

I know you need an action replay to run it.

In my opinion, you can try to turn a rock into gem by polishing it, but in the end it's still going to be a dirty, ****ed up looking, horrible
game
rock.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Advertising for tournaments should be done within tournament discussion! No exceptions!

What's the best way to spend YOUR money?

Traveling to FLATZONE. That's what. Nugga.
Check the link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207310

WHAT IS FLATZONE?
Besides being the greatest thing to ever happen in Canada since Kage's punched his way out of his mothers womb and stomped his doctor, FLATZONE is a 2-day Melee-Only tournament featuring the best of Canada. As well as singles and doubles, it'll also include crews, falcon-only, and low tier. With several sponsors, the singles pot is nearly $2000. $2000 god **** dollars son, making it one of the biggest Canadian tournaments ever. M2K will probably be all over this ****. Will you?

WHERE IS FLATZONE?
FLATZONE is located in Regina, Saskatchewan. With a city named Regina, you already know this tournament will be hot as ****. Did I mention this is hosted by Vertically Challenged?

WHY COME TO FLATZONE?
First of all, it's a Canadian tournament so you'll know you'll be treated right. With free housing, free breakfast and dinner on both days, and lots of free drinks and snacks, you'll be both comfortably fed and accommodated so that you will be able to perform at the peak of your smash career.

I'M STILL NOT CONVINCED.
It's hosted at the UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN. It's a huge *** venue. With 25 setups, you'll be able to have an enormous amount of friendly time. This includes money matching you're favorite Canadians, and recording sets with people you've always wanted to play with. Even if you're knocked out early in the tournament, you'll still have LOTS of time to play, and to get you're money's worth. Upset that you didn't get a chance to win anything?

THERE ARE GOD **** DOOR PRIZES SON.

Just by showing up, you could win a flatscreen tv, ipods, and brand new GC controllers. Holy ****. You don't even need to be good to win ****. It's like playing Brawl, except it's FLATZONE *****.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Wow Joel. Thanks for infracting me for advertising a tournament. Now I really don't want to host CAST5, cause if I advertise that, I might get banned.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
» Smash World Forums » Smash Tournaments » Regional Zones » Canada

uhh whats this place for if not tournaments?

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
We'll see. If I have someone to carpool with, maybe I'll go.

I have to start saving up money since I'm buying a car soon and have to save up for insurance + other business as well.

FastFox

BRoomer
Lol I love pissing you guys off.

It was a legit infraction. I talked to Virg about it and he said if it was posted in more places than just the Alberta thread, it would be considered advertising.

If you want to argue about it, take it to forum disputes.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Did you know that in stamina mode, there is no sudden death if you tie? You don't even get a victory screen, it just returns to the character select. Wait, that happens for every stamina match.

Uh oh.
Calgary is back.

/facepalm.
ur just jealus

Tyson651

Smash Lord
well, u can make people hate u just cause u wanna be an *** by giving ******** infractions to people u dont like; but i dont think it looks great towards every other person as well.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Victor, here's the way I see it. You live in Central Canada. You guys have tumbleweed. You don't expect much... logic there, do you? What you need to do is come to UBC, start up a smash club, and live happily ever after trying (to no avail) to get into med here.

Frio

Smash Champion
So I'm just wondering. What are we gonna do about the Alberta Brawl rankings. You know, since "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" got banned.

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Someone else can take that over if they want, I don't find it much of a deal anyway, I don't think anyone care's about PR's in Alberta.

FastFox

BRoomer
I'll see what I can do about them, however I really don't care enough about Brawl to take any initiative. If a Brawl player wants to step up and take over, so be it.

Top Bottom