• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
oooh i read your post wrong and thought it said
"hey who all is coming to my birthday bash in GA?!"
and i was like wtf we not good enough? lool

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Uhh I think you've got the wrong idea Saint, I'm sure not one person was trying to discredit your tournament performance. Hows about you step off of that high horse for a moment and try and think what was said through.

It's just that Resist just normally has pretty "meh" turnouts. However, because people have this mindset that if they do go to a Mobile tournament that not many will attend, it makes us believe that the trip will be of gas money and time and it doesn't really help it's hype at all.
I see what you're saying. I wasn't saying that he was discrediting MY sets in the tournament, I was trying to figure out why he was discrediting the tournament itself. And I was saying that the tournament was no different than any other in terms of what it should count for: sets won and lost. The turnout of a tournament shouldn't affect that.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yo all im sayin is i got 3rd place at that tournament and got 15 bucks whats up dude thats all im sayin bout it

oh yeah i forgot about that, kola. mine is july 1st though : p
we r cancers. idk i think i believe in astrology.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya

And I'm asking, AGAIN, what it doesn't count for?
It's 4.5 hours from Huntsville and around 3.5 hours from Tuscaloosa.

If you want to go to Alabama tourneys get used to it, the decision makers live around Auburn and want a short travel distance.
I disagree. I think Alabama tournaments are pretty spread out. Here's a look at our season 1 tournaments on the state map.
Now, as I try to assume what Slam was trying to get at here.

Somehow I think he read that seeing as the tournaments are spread out it will also be worth the trip down there.

Thus saying "Yeah I don't think Mobile should count at all Cam" Because of perhaps the long drive and a disappointing tournament event and hearing of other low turnouts.

HOWEVER

I'm sure one could have forgotten that the payouts are set during the seasons for all tournaments except for the UA one.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
That's what I wanted. See, if Munkus had a history of making posts I wanted to read, we wouldn't have issues like this.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
If less people turn up to Mobile, you would have a better chance of winning good money since the prizes are fixed. More incentive?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
(end] wishing any of you guys had any sort of appreciation or interest in relevant music (/end]

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
lol thank you mc killa. its a 24/7 thang you know.
i hav school monday, thursday, friday.
but i think my monday class dropped me idk

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
i suppose i never see you(probably because im all alone in Lab 1,no really anyone i know is in capstone or left for personal reasons on Fridays)Monday and Wednesday i still see a few people

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i just know alot about every single type of music and keep up to date with the current music and where everything is heading so i feel eligible to judge it.

its like casual players vs. competitive players in smash.
competitve players know MU's, the metagame, what makes what good, why things are good, idk basically they know depth.
casual players like to play with their favorite character or what they think looks cool and thats all they care about. they just have no interest in frame data/things of that nature.

im by far one of the most knowledgable people about music that i know. you guys can think that is a pretentious thing to say, but keep in mind, casual players probably think that competitive smashers are just full of BS or being pretentious and unneccesary also.
you guys just dont "get it" like casuals just dont "get" pro gameplay.

blah whatever that isnt really a very GOOD comparision at all.
its actually quite poor but i cant think of anything else to relate it to on a video game board lmao

you guys are prolly just gonna get pissed off at this, but in the end its my fault because this isnt a music thread so i shouldnt be concerned about it in the first place.
i dont think my music is the only "good" music. i said "RELEVEANT" which means it has value to the current direction that the youth of music is heading down, and is really something that you can talk about and analyze. it is current and has in-depth conversational value, meaning it is relevant.

anyways, my main point of posting here is to say that this thread is like dead unless we are fighting.... we need to have more fun, AL

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
hipsters are all in this avant garde "it's not really that good, but it's DIFFERENT" kick these days, and it's lame.
iono just make good music who cares
id rather listen to the beatles

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
Well when you post about goth music or w/e you did, we didn't say anything because apparently we don't listen to it, yet when we didn't say anything you say we have no interest in relevant music.

:|
Perhaps if I 'appreciated' music I had never listened to, I could pretend to act like I know what I'm talking about. I'm not going to search obscure genres such as goth and oldschool goth just so when someone happens to bring it up, I can give my 2 cents.

You are right about this thread though. I seem to find myself only posting when there is an argument afoot.

On a side note, I realized that I still enjoy smash and will play it more, even though I don't enjoy it as much as I do SF. I won't travel 45+ minutes to play it unless there is some SF/Marvel involved.

/wall

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly sure you've never listened to Alanis Morissette's complete discography.

and if you haven't, then your research is incomplete.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Alanis Morissette is not relevant in modern culture. I'm pretty sure Slam isn't arguing about certain genre's superiority to another. He seems to be arguing that popular culture favors certain genres, and what's popular right now constitutes what's "relevant." Knowing what kind of music is "relevant" in today's society has got to be an amazingly complex study. Youth culture has never had so much exposure to niche influences as it has today. I mourn for the youth of the pre-internet-pre-tv-pre-radio eras who could never have enjoyed such a complex palette of music, art, and overall culture without spending their life touring the world. Today it is all available at our fingertips, but that does not mean that the average youth is now an expert. As a matter of fact I'd say that the average youth today under-exposes their-self, because they only allow their-self a taste of a genre before discrediting it as uninteresting. It's too easy to stick with niche in today's culture because of the sheer volume of content. I always find it a struggle to expand my horizon because the people around me are intentionally more narrowly exposed than I am already.

tl;dr

culture, there's a lot of it

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah what m3t said. he said everything so much better than i could of.
its all about exposure and culture and i try to expose myself to everything. not saying that i like it or dont, i just try to kep up to date and stay on the front line of "whats happening now" as far as music goes. why? because it's an interesting culture and always has been. sociologically, pyschologically, and just everything else idk.

xeedoc, i dont research genres because i want to "pretend to know what im talking about" i do it because i am fascinated by music culture. that comment just goes to show how narrow minded most youths are. and the fact that they think people can only be interested in something they are not to look cool or some stupid ****.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
discussing which music is "relevant" is one thing, but putting down other people and telling them "they don't know as much about music" as you do just because they listen to something different than you is something completely different and unnecessary.

Discussing Alanis Morrissette is just as random and useless as discussing any other band you think is relevant. you know a lot about one or more subsections of music. Maybe Duchock knows a lot about Alanis Morisette and other similar acts. Maybe I know a lot about southern hiphop (which, I would argue, is just as "relevant" as anything you're talking about). people have different knowledge sets.

i just think its better to consider what other people have to offer to the discussion before you take the elitist route and just assume no ones on your level

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
do you listen to about 30 new bands every day and try to make sense of what is going on from second to second in an ever and rapidly changing music generation that moves at the speed of the internet, kevin? i dont know if you do or not but i think you just listen to what you like to listen to. im not saying i know more about music because im assuming the bands i like are better than the bands you like. im just assuming i know more about music because i listen to soooooo much of it. even if it isnt my taste i just try to listen to everything. but when it comes down to my tasteeeeeeee...
ok so here goes.....
i guess the simplest way to put it is that im just a "new waver". im just into whatever is the new and "out there" and has potential to be a game changer.

im not bringing down people's specific tastes of music. you guys are just too ignorant to even get that im just "into" music. to you guys its like cheering for your favorite football team or something.

and im approaching this thing at an entirely different angle than some fan boy ****
i am definately NOT arguing this any further and i am done posting about this subject im just trying to kind of get myself clear here in this post.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
I can no longer go to AUSOM.

My father is going out of town for a week and my brother is an inconsiderate piece of ****ing bull**** that **** ******** **** ***** **********************s.
Anyways, I have to hold down my house for the week since he's going to be out "at school events".

I am less than pleased.
See you guys on November 19th though. ))):

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I can no longer go to AUSOM.

My father is going out of town for a week and my brother is an inconsiderate piece of ****ing bull**** that **** ******** **** ***** **********************s.
Anyways, I have to hold down my house for the week since he's going to be out "at school events".

I am less than pleased.
See you guys on November 19th though. ))):
I think you mean November 12th.

We'll miss you at AUSOM!

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
I think you mean November 12th.

We'll miss you at AUSOM!
-___________________________________________________________-
I thought it was the 12th, but Ryker said he thought he remembered it being the 19th.

-sigh-
I can't make it to that one either. I have a show with my band. )):
Hell. This is just bad luck.

pfft, id be like FK YOU IM GOING ANYWAY...

you taking care of younger siblings or something?
Yeah, I'm supposed to be. My brother James is close friends with the family of the soccer team. He's in the same grade as the coach's son.
The coach covers for him on the weekends, telling my father that James goes to open soccer tournaments, when in reality, he's partying.

I'm worried about him. :/

Top Bottom