• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
xD I've read them don't worry.

IF YOU ARE NOT HAVING FUN BECAUSE YOU ARE GETTING BEAT, CHANCES ARE IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR GETTING BEAT.

The last sentence in particular is the one I'm getting the most understanding from

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
btw, i know i suck at certain games. and melee is indeed, one of them.
and soku does have plenty of bnbs to learn,especially if you main a low tier, zero lern2soku >.>

kola...

dam i forgot what i was gonna say, something like dont look at it casually bla bla bla...

also, MELTY BLOOD ACTRESS AGAIN FOR PC GET HYPED!

sleepyk sux.

<3

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
btw, i know i suck at certain games. and melee is indeed, one of them.
and soku does have plenty of bnbs to learn,especially if you main a low tier, zero lern2soku >.>

kola...

dam i forgot what i was gonna say, something like dont look at it casually bla bla bla...

also, MELTY BLOOD ACTRESS AGAIN FOR PC GET HYPED!

sleepyk sux.

<3
i don't get this "i suck at certain games"

because if you cared you could improve at them '-'??

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
when i play melee it's easier for me to see what im doing wrong than when i play brawl.

brawl makes no goddamn sense half the time. to anybody.

Winnar

Smash Lord
when i play melee it's easier for me to see what im doing wrong than when i play brawl.

brawl makes no goddamn sense half the time. to anybody.
This.

x1000

also listen to sleepyk about asking the person next to you what you're doing wrong

Even though I don't follow that advice at all. We have some new blood here at MSU and I'm p much constantly giving out advice for what people should work on, what they could have done instead, where they're messing up, etc.

But as for me actually getting better, the only way to consistently get way way better is to get demolished.

Seriously, I would play thousands of friendlies with the people around my skill level and only get marginally better. Then I'd go to memphis and play friendlies for 2 hours with Iori or Jack and consistently lose hard. The next week I was significantly better. Every time.

So yeah, I can empathize with you when you say you hate losing hard, but you have to man up and start expanding your perspective as you play. You're getting punished for a reason, figure out why you're getting hit and go from there.

This is all from me speaking from experience, btw.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I just got a phone call from someone from SRK wanting to come over.

Then he says, "How serious are you about playing Melty Blood?"

I respond with, "I can't play it seriously unless I can use a 360 controller." That means never...

I feel so guilty.

btw, I hate when people get ***** and then they just sit there, wordless. And then when you want to say the occasional advice, they act like it's the obvious or they put up an attitude or they just outright ignore you.

KOLA

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
so like, my pc sucks.

on topic: i dont do what kola does, i always ask question like "wtf how'd you do that" or "how is this not working"...

just sayian.jpg

seee im learning even when im gettin *****..

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah i think ive said it before but it sucks when people get upset or offended.
but in tourny its hard not to get mad sometimes cuz its a tourney and it matters but im talking about in friendlies.
there are some people i cant even play more than like 3 matches against because i feel so bad because they are getting super depressed when they lose. i wish they would just take the opportunity to learn instead and have some educated, fun matches instead of whiny ones.

i just remember these things happening to me a few times here and there at some tourneys in the past. its mostly random ppl i end up friendlying cuz no one in from AL forum play firendly with me at tourney :(:(:(

Winnar

Smash Lord
I just got a phone call from someone from SRK wanting to come over.

Then he says, "How serious are you about playing Melty Blood?"

I respond with, "I can't play it seriously unless I can use a 360 controller." That means never...

I feel so guilty.

btw, I hate when people get ***** and then they just sit there, wordless. And then when you want to say the occasional advice, they act like it's the obvious or they put up an attitude or they just outright ignore you.

KOLA
I know when I play and get ***** I tend to not talk at all

p much just deep in thought tho

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'm beginning to love the new gen water starter Daikenki. It sucks in OU but I use it anyway.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
No one should come over. I have the flu.

It's getting worse, I feel it. I thought I was getting better but now it feels like it's going into my lungs or something. Plus, my body aches.

I have to sit up or I can't breathe so staying in bed is not an option.

We will resume having company when I
A. Get better
B. Am no longer contagious

Shoutouts to the flu shot that didn't prevent me from getting flu.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
shine oos is usually better if you can stay on the ground while doing it.
do you mean against falco or as falco lol

i think it's possible for shine oos to beat shinegrab but it's hard to recognize. you can also frame perfect grab out of shield to grab them out of their shinegrab. i do it to druggedfox sometimes. we pause and lol.

I SUX WUT
Really late, but I decided to name search.

Damn you sleepyk!!! Who else frame perfect grabs my *almost* frame perfect shine grab? :(

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its a learning opportunity obviously
but that doesn't make it "fun" to get ***** in a video game
and like i said, alot of people who are good at the game give ****ty advice because it natural to them and they dont know how to properly explain it

i mean specific questions are good to ask like, "whats the best move in this situation" those are good questions to ask
but more general stuff about how to be overall better at the game is hard for them to answer
sleepy k's guide he likes to post is like 90% l2tech skill, which is right...but tech skill is the easy part lol
its like 10% of total what it takes to be good at melee. its hard for good players to explain something that they do without even thinking much
some players are better teachers than others for sure. and some are just more interested in teaching than others.

especially if you're just starting out

but that doesn't mean you can't learn. if you "play to learn" as sleepy preaches, you eventually see why you are getting hit, especially if its something you continuously get hit by.

i still think the single best way to get better at any game is to watch video of yourself and study to see what you're doing wrong.

but games are more fun when you're good at them.
again, common sense.

and NES N00b is an exceptional player. he's not an average player;
and his story is not something that many or most people can achieve.
even if its just his "drive". he had an abnormally large amount of drive (as well as free time, money, ability to travel, and proximity to good people to play with)

getting great at anything requires tons of practice. that's just how life works. its not possible to get really great at any respectable competitive activity in a matter of days or weeks or months. unless you are an exceptional individual.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'm sure 90% of it isn't just saying learn tech skill.

And after learning the tech skills I'm going to assume it becomes a lot like any other fighting game. Where the goal now is to bait, predict, punish, and not drop combos when given the chance to do so. :p Learning tech skill isn't an easy win, it's a starting block

^ and I'm not saying this as if it were a bad thing

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I'm sure 90% of it isn't just saying learn tech skill.

And after learning the tech skills I'm going to assume it becomes a lot like any other fighting game. Where the goal now is to bait, predict, punish, and not drop combos when given the chance to do so. :p Learning tech skill isn't an easy win, it's a starting block

^ and I'm not saying this as if it were a bad thing
no the guide that sleepy posts alot mostly says learn tech skill
which is the correct first step and gets on the right path

but obviously that's not all it takes as per what i posted

i will never forget when i spent hours in my room learning to wavedash and l-cancel.
then i thought HAHA NOW MY SCRUB FRIENDS WILL BE NO MATCH FOR ME

but even so I wasn't beating them anymore or any worse than i was previously.

every since that day I always .___.'d when people used to say "haha you have to use techs to win in melee" or "lol melee is all pressin buttanz fast"

although if you have poor execution of tech skill, then you will probably lose.
but theres people who didn't even try to do fancy ****...reflex for example he just did what he needed to take peoples stocks.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
aww really? Well I'll give it a read anyway since Sleepy recommends it. He's a smart player too so I'll absorb the other 10% of wisdom it has in it too.

I bet if we could get people to either A: Agree on a reasonable spot to play smash at, or B: go to Zero's for smashfests more often. Then we'd be able to get better at Melee and Brawl a lot faster so we don't have to post on the boards. (Yeah I don't think I can get better because I don't want to play by myself) or something

Winnar

Smash Lord
No Kola, Janitor is p much right about that. It's almost entirely "learn this tech skill thing" then "learn this other tech skill thing". His guide is for absolute beginners/newcomers (you) to melee. Basically it's about making sure you have the tools and consistently to begin play on a higher/faster level.

Also I know what you mean Janitor lol I used to try to ask everyone what I was doing wrong or what I should work on, but I never got a very satisfying answer. The most common response was about being aware of "options" and "cancelling/covering them". I still get this response a lot and surprisingly it's still not very satisfying. This is the main reason I've stopped asking people for advice as I play them. I've learned to just figure it out on my own.

That's why whenever I am trying to help someone get better, I try to focus on more practical things like "Well your spacing is off here" or "You're playing kind of slow, there are a lot of places where you could follow up if you were faster, or you could prevent me from following up if you were faster. Basically just make a plan and commit to it faster. Start trying to expect the general flow of what I'm going to do (attack, grab, or nothing/spacing/baiting) and then work from there". That kind of stuff. I think it's more helpful than the generic vague stuff I've been told.

Though I think a lot of it is that a lot of good players aren't used to having to explain high level melee. It's not that they can't, it's that they're kind of put on the spot when you ask them out of the blue. I dunno, I think that since I've given it a lot of thought I'm much better prepared to help a bro out if they're messing up stuff against me and want to know why.

Also, I think it's important that sooner or later you figure out how to figure out how to improve on your own. If you depend on someone else for advice to improve with then you'll only get as good as they can teach you, but if you learn to recognize your own faults in your play then you can theoretically get as good as you want.

Edit - Dang, solid discussion in the AL thread? DO WANT :D

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
uhhhhhhhh that sux i gotta l tech skil 2 play melee :(

also, i think alot of the reason why so many people suck at brawl is because, unlike you winnar, they dont think for themselves about how to play the game. instead they ask the pros for advice and the advice that they recieve is to camp more, again, vague advice, so they do precisely that and stand on the edge of the stage SH dub lazering and then complain about how broken charecters or moves are and blame that on why they are loosing.

sooo many players fall into this trap in brawl imo

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
aww really? Well I'll give it a read anyway since Sleepy recommends it. He's a smart player too so I'll absorb the other 10% of wisdom it has in it too.

I bet if we could get people to either A: Agree on a reasonable spot to play smash at, or B: go to Zero's for smashfests more often. Then we'd be able to get better at Melee and Brawl a lot faster so we don't have to post on the boards. (Yeah I don't think I can get better because I don't want to play by myself) or something
the good thing about sleepy's guide

(note i'm talking about his quick little rushed thing that he copypastas a lot...he might have some other more indepth guide somewhere)

but the good thing about it is it tells you WHAT techs to practice, and HOW to practice them.
or at least one theory on how ot practice them.

when i first got into melee people were all like

SHFFL WAVEDASH SHFFL WAVEDASH GOGOGOG SHFFL WAVEDASH.

but in actuality there is a lot of other techs you need to know. waveland, isai drop, short/long wavedash, pivoting, auto cancelling, jab resetting, crouch cancelling, OOS stuff, moonwalking, jump cancelled grabs, etc etc. im forgetting lots of stuff i'm sure

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
maybe im just being egotistical but it also helps im cooperating and making an effort to read the thread before i post.
i tend to ruin good discussions because for 1
1. i never actually read this thread. i scan through VERY quickly. i read 2 or 3 words from post at most. and then i respond and if i go back and read the thread then my response most the time it makes no sense.
2. i also never try to communite with other people in discussions on here other than when im bashing them or playing around with them. sometimes i do but like i meantioned before, it makes no sense bc i dont really read before i post.

and this wouldnt be that big of a deal if it werent for the fact that i post so much.

and thats not fun for anyone and also kinda embaresses myself bc it makes me seem like an idoit.
hopefully i can stay motivated to read and respond and communicate.

Top Bottom