• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I don't john. Ever really. Its not johning to day that being infinited is annoying

Also in no competitive event ever in the history of man has a new person quickly matched the skill of veterans in the field. Except in the cases of standout exceptions. Prodigies. Its common sense. I don't even understand why your debating this.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
because you can get there if you really want to. smash isn't physically demanding or something.
you just have to play a video game and want to be good at it. the standard for "good" is a lot higher (at least in melee). the majority of people getting into the game improve a lot faster than they used to in 2007 when i started. none of them are "prodigies" in the sense that they're rapidly becoming a top player, but they're all improving and they all want to improve.

they can definitely get there. it's not impossible because they know it isn't.

for example, i've gotten pretty good at the game over the past 3 years.
it's taken me 3 years but i'm getting up there.
do i care to become some overnight success? no. i just played the game, enjoyed it, and wanted to be good at it.

t1j whatever your main point is, it is, as always, poorly worded.

tl;dr for me
1) you don't have to become good fast.
2) you don't have to be a prodigy to be good in the first place.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Its oversimplified and kind of disengeuous to up and coming players to say all you have to do is want it. Hey that sounds nice but it ain't true. Its like those self help books that say 'all u have to do is WANT to be happy' or 'if u WANT to be rich u will be'
it sucks when players get good because they kind of forget what its like to not be good and they feel like its so easy because they already know how to do it. Its not easy bro.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
there are some people who just dont quite "get it" with smash.
theyve been playing for like forever and still suck.
but idk why exactly that is..

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
bad habits are sometimes hard to break

everyone different. different mindsets, different levels of natural skill. different amounts of muscle control. different ability to play with a clear mind. different levels of focus. everyone learns differently and at different rates. different people have different teachers/helpers. and different teachers/helpers have different amounts of ability to teach/help.

i dunno so many factors.

thats why some copypasta only helps so much. it'll probably help you to get on the right path. but it wont get you out of pools much less up to par with great players.

Purple

Hi guys!
Actually, that really is all there is to it T1J. I would think that getting good is a constant process; as long as you have sight of the next goal in your process you'll consistently get better.

It's funny because many of the players who are exceptional aren't exactly exceptional people, they just play a lot lol.

SleepyK

Its oversimplified and kind of disengeuous to up and coming players to say all you have to do is want it. Hey that sounds nice but it ain't true. Its like those self help books that say 'all u have to do is WANT to be happy' or 'if u WANT to be rich u will be'
it sucks when players get good because they kind of forget what its like to not be good and they feel like its so easy because they already know how to do it. Its not easy bro.
yeah, except the examples you give are far more complicated than a video game.

i honestly don't think i'm that good yet because i don't understand what some of the top players are doing.

I didn't mean that the process involved in becoming good is easy. I don't think it's easy. However, if you have the right mindset, it can be a lot easier. idk what your mindset is, but people who post things like "i'll never catch up" or complain about "man i'm not good and i don't get why i am not" are really setting themselves up to never get where they want to be in the first place.

that's where people like me come in

bad habits are sometimes hard to break

everyone different. different mindsets, different levels of natural skill. different amounts of muscle control. different ability to play with a clear mind. different levels of focus. everyone learns differently and at different rates. different people have different teachers/helpers. and different teachers/helpers have different amounts of ability to teach/help.

i dunno so many factors.

thats why some copypasta only helps so much. it'll probably help you to get on the right path. but it wont get you out of pools much less up to par with great players.
that's why the copy "pasta" i give only covers being comfortable with the game and barely touches on the mental side of it. that's where experience and talking to other good players comes into... play...

Actually, that really is all there is to it T1J. I would think that getting good is a constant process; as long as you have sight of the next goal in your process you'll consistently get better.

It's funny because many of the players who are exceptional aren't exactly exceptional people, they just play a lot lol.
as long as you want to be good at the game (and earnestly want to. i don't mean get frustrated and try the same approach over and over want to either.) you'll usually go through the steps it takes to get good. if you can't figure it out on your own, that's where people like me come in.

rofl @ mc-killa
you spent the vast majority of the time we were at the Harris apt playing games on the computer.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I was going to post something along the lines of what Sleepy posted about drive in competition rather than life, but then I was ambushed with Toy Story 3.

I cried.

I wonder if mc-killa has the mindset of the less-experienced, one that I used to have, "I'm not good and they are. They won't have fun just ****** scrubs like me. T_T "

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
or maybe he doesnt want to get embaressed and overwhelemed and 3 stocked. im like this sometimes. it can be overwhelming playing someone good. and i use to not learn from it but now i just play it cool and think to myself "yeah its ok if you just keep getting beat youll get it one day."

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Exactly! I'm positive Sleepy also covers this:

"Play to learn, not to win."

I still get destroyed by Sleepy, but playing him has helped me in my pressure game a whole lot. I also need Falco experience.

I wish everyone would say, "Wow, that was so much ****! I aspire to be like that someday!" rather than, "WTF, you destroyed me and effectively made this game look unfun and stupid!"

SleepyK

NO I ONLY PLAY ON WIFI
OFFLINE IS FOR SCKERUBS

btw glad i could help zero.
if you have any more q's ask me

SleepyK

no i think i rushed the thought out of my mouth (which i tend to do HO HO SPITTING)
i meant that different characters have different hurtboxes and collision data so therefore some characters have an easier time blocking certain things than others.

for example, marth and sheik have very low crouch animations. low enough to crouch under lasers.
this allows them to duck under a laser then shield to easily powershield

G. Vice

Smash Lord
no i think i rushed the thought out of my mouth (which i tend to do HO HO SPITTING)
i meant that different characters have different hurtboxes and collision data so therefore some characters have an easier time blocking certain things than others.

for example, marth and sheik have very low crouch animations. low enough to crouch under lasers.
this allows them to duck under a laser then shield to easily powershield
Sleepy, I want to play you. I've heard nothing but pure amazing things about you.

I need falco practice as well...my poor little Ganon.

SleepyK

Were you serious when you said, "Not all shields come out at the same time?"

Is it really better to shine OOS in the air with Falco rather than the ground?

Does shine OOS counter shinegrab?
shine oos is usually better if you can stay on the ground while doing it.
do you mean against falco or as falco lol

i think it's possible for shine oos to beat shinegrab but it's hard to recognize. you can also frame perfect grab out of shield to grab them out of their shinegrab. i do it to druggedfox sometimes. we pause and lol.

Sleepy, I want to play you. I've heard nothing but pure amazing things about you.

I need falco practice as well...my poor little Ganon.
I SUX WUT

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i may be able to. i have to read like 160 pages for english tho so we'll so how fast i can do that :/
but w/e id like to smash more irl ill hit you guys up sometime whenever if not this weekend.

but srsly wifi players are srs as **** lol

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Zero_Gamer;11728087I cried. [/QUOTE said:
you cry toooo?

lol no really yall i forreal didnt cry over elev8
but believe what you want the crumbling smash AL scene is worth crying over anyways.

sleepy i wanna help u unscrub in brawll but you got like all of GA to help u with that, thats even if you still play brawl wouldnt blame you if you quit

the new joke ladder started and i am raging harder than ever at it lmao idk why

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i sucks at meleez tho joot help prz

but yeah, i am jealous of all the melee smashings going on :o

edit: and your game in general.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Exactly! I'm positive Sleepy also covers this:

"Play to learn, not to win."

I still get destroyed by Sleepy, but playing him has helped me in my pressure game a whole lot. I also need Falco experience.

I wish everyone would say, "Wow, that was so much ****! I aspire to be like that someday!" rather than, "WTF, you destroyed me and effectively made this game look unfun and stupid!"
lol no one likes to lose. It's okay for one to say they don't mind losing, but no one likes it.

:glare: Plus, it's different to get inspired after maybe getting destroyed one or two games. Not a consecutive 5-30 games. That's just heartbreaking.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
^you gotta take the alone time to learn BnB's and stuff, thats why that one guy beat me in touhou cuz i still havent taken the time to learn Patchy's BnB's...

^that answer is really just to fighters in general >.<

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
When your playing a good person and you are literally unable to move your character bc you are getting ***** so hard that's not fun. I don't care who you are or if your playing to learn or what. But you can usually get past that point pretty quickly imo

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
When your playing a good person and you are literally unable to move your character bc you are getting ***** so hard that's not fun. I don't care who you are or if your playing to learn or what. But you can usually get past that point pretty quickly imo
The game doesn't start with you getting *****. There are mistakes you make that get you into that situation. I definitely have room to talk yo

Winnar

Smash Lord
I really don't like that you're making nes noob out to be some kind of superbeing or w/e. That kind of defeats the entire purpose of what made him so great. He was just a fun guy with a lot of drive. When I first played him and wanted to get better that's what he explained to me. That he was in my exact position not too long ago. He said that he never expected to get as good as he did, he just knew he wanted to get better. So he worked at it and after a while ended up getting super good.

but on the subject of getting better

I think there's a misunderstanding you have about "just wanting it". You can't "just want it" and leave it at that and expect to get better, but getting better will always start with a drive to improve. What we really mean to say is you have to start by finding that drive and the rest will fall into place. If you have the drive to improve then you'll start taking the steps to improvement. If you start taking steps towards improvement, you'll inevitably get better (rate of improvement not being addressed here).

Like that one guy said, you make a small goal towards something you want to get better at, then you work at it. repeat ad infinitum

MC - You talk about how you don't have any drive but you want to have drive... I don't really get that

Having drive to improve is a completely arbitrary decision. Literally all you do is say "Okay, I actually want to improve now so I'm going to start taking steps"

You either want to or you don't, pretty much that simple. There's no such thing as middle ground in wanting something. Saying you want something but don't want to put in effort for it is the same thing as saying you don't actually want something.

So when you think of things you want, just go for it. Make that decision. Say you want it and start meaning it.

SleepyK

^you gotta take the alone time to learn BnB's and stuff, thats why that one guy beat me in touhou cuz i still havent taken the time to learn Patchy's BnB's...

^that answer is really just to fighters in general >.<
no johns yo. learn bnbs if you actually care.

lol no one likes to lose. It's okay for one to say they don't mind losing, but no one likes it.

:glare: Plus, it's different to get inspired after maybe getting destroyed one or two games. Not a consecutive 5-30 games. That's just heartbreaking.
NOTE: IF THIS EVER HAPPENS TO YOU, JUST TURN TO THE PERSON WHO JUST DESTROYED YOU AND ASK THEM WHAT YOU DID WRONG OR WHAT YOU CAN DO TO AVOID GETTING DESTROYED. THEY WILL HELP YOU. THERE IS NO NEED TO SIT THERE AND CONTINUOUSLY GET BEAT WHEN THE REASONS YOU ARE GETTING BEAT ARE BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION. IF YOU ARE NOT HAVING FUN BECAUSE YOU ARE GETTING BEAT, CHANCES ARE IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR GETTING BEAT.

SO TURN OVER AND ASK THEM

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
pfffft. In Brawl I'd understand, I'd willingly ask hey what did I goof up on because I have an understanding of the game.

Now Melee....it goes without saying. xD I know why I'm doing bad, because I have not taken any time to really try alone to at least practice the basics. Like L Canceling or just getting a nice understanding of the character of choices moves in general. It's like going to take a test with materials you haven't even looked at. You're not going to pass because you haven't taken the time to learn or study the material.

I was just retaliating at what Jason said. xD it didn't make sense to me.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
It makes perfect sense to me.

I saw PacStrifer at an NC tournament ****** people left and right in Guilty Gear, Arcana Heart, 3rd Strike, and Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Everyone was mega hype when he did that 300+ hit combo with Saki in Arcana Heart OFF THE SCREEN and we all WTF'd when he destoryed Dark Hart's Dizzy with Johnny and then started doing this slide-ey, moonwalking thing. Somehow, the calm after the storm was more intimidating than anything in the history of anything and then he just slashes out of the moonwalking float at lightning speed and resumed ******. Thus, was the birth of the, "I'm quitting Smash for 2d fighters," meme in NC.

SleepyK

pfffft. In Brawl I'd understand, I'd willingly ask hey what did I goof up on because I have an understanding of the game.

Now Melee....it goes without saying. xD I know why I'm doing bad, because I have not taken any time to really try alone to at least practice the basics. Like L Canceling or just getting a nice understanding of the character of choices moves in general. It's like going to take a test with materials you haven't even looked at. You're not going to pass because you haven't taken the time to learn or study the material.

I was just retaliating at what Jason said. xD it didn't make sense to me.
hence my guide covering how to move in the game

but even then there's plenty to learn in the game that has nothing to do with execution.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
It makes perfect sense to me.

I saw PacStrifer at an NC tournament ****** people left and right in Guilty Gear, Arcana Heart, 3rd Strike, and Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Everyone was mega hype when he did that 300+ hit combo with Saki in Arcana Heart OFF THE SCREEN and we all WTF'd when he destoryed Dark Hart's Dizzy with Johnny and then started doing this slide-ey, moonwalking thing. Somehow, the calm after the storm was more intimidating than anything in the history of anything and then he just slashes out of the moonwalking float at lightning speed and resumed ******. Thus, was the birth of the, "I'm quitting Smash for 2d fighters," meme in NC.
I got hyped after seeing Tekken matches, Brawl matches, that one Melee video something about "You must recover", Blazblue videos, Dead or Alive videos. xD I mean it's excited to watch people do sick things against people but being the receiver of all of it for back to back matches just makes you think "I'd rather just watch the game." Well that's the way I view anyway.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Uggghhhh but I am

It's a view from a casual standpoint. I play the game, get beat and will stay there playing until the opponent I'm playing either leaves or just doesn't want to play any more. It's that way with just about any game I play. I've been terrible at a lot of games because until Brawl I was just a casual player. xP I don't know of many people that enjoy the appeal of a game and like getting there but get 3 stocked/ Perfected/ ***** in general when they're thinking of joining a scene or something.

I don't know what I'm saying but I'm just spouting out stuff that would make sense to me

Top Bottom