• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
But I haven't chimed in yet!

It's called the Big Bang Theory. Yes, it's a theory. It could have happened, it could have not happened. In this theory, there was nothing. Well, there could have been something. Very little somethings. And then something happened and then there was everything.

Christianity (or most any religion for that matter) is also a theory. In this one in particular, a man gave birth to a son which was himself and sent him down to Earth to die for billions of people he's yet to meet, then three days later turns into a zombie and flies back up to heaven. In order to get on his good side, you must symbolically eat his flesh and blood every week. And if you want to talk to him, all you have to do is fold your hands and telepathically communicate to him.

Some people use science (which isn't always infallible) to prove the former, where as others use miracles, speaking in tongues, general faith, what ever have you to prove the latter. It's just a matter of a difference in supporting evidence. Personally, it doesn't matter to me where we came from. We ain't goin' back there any time soon.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
List of common mistakes in grammar and spelling from what I've noticed in life (Most common mistake in paranthesis):
Ridiculous (Rediculous)
Definitely (Definately)
Prove (Proove)
Address (Adress)
Should have (Should of)
Using the word "because" when explaining reasons (Using the word "as.")

List of common mistakes in grammar and spelling from my sister:
Because
Beautiful
Really
Realistically
pretty much any word with more than 5 syllables that you can't fathom to be misspelled is on this list.

Also, SleepyK is, like, the most well-educated person I've seen on Smashboards.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
But I haven't chimed in yet!

Christianity (or most any religion for that matter) is also a theory. In this one in particular, a man gave birth to a son which was himself and sent him down to Earth to die for billions of people he's yet to meet, then three days later turns into a zombie and flies back up to heaven. In order to get on his good side, you must symbolically eat his flesh and blood every week. And if you want to talk to him, all you have to do is fold your hands and telepathically communicate to him.
laughed my *** off soooo hard. *not bc i agree or disagree, but bc it was soooooooo ****in funny!!
<3

List of common mistakes in grammar and spelling from my sister:
Because
Beautiful
Really
Realistically
pretty much any word with more than 5 syllables that you can't fathom to be misspelled is on this list.
if youre going to dis on someone, make sure they dont make your dinner.
:chuckle:

Purple

Hi guys!
interesting.

the idea of laughing at someone else's belief just makes your own that much worse.

I believe in there is a god and that he set things for us to learn as time goes on.

:|

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
ok, ok.

no more religious discussions *and no more public snide remarks zero...*
you bore me anyways...

..........ZZZZ
(\ (\
( -.- )
o_(")(")

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
kazoo, please stop posting like you have any authority.

see pee kay

lol pee

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i feel some things i believe are susceptible to **** in debates. like the big bang theory--totally believe, but cannot prove.
I'm not completely educated about the big bang theory. But I am aware of what qualifies as a "theory" in scientific terms, and in general scientific theories are pretty grounded in solid facts.

however, evolution, imo, can be proved.
Evolution can be proven because its a fact. Natural Selection is a theory, Evolution is a fact.
No, the theory (fact) of evolution is not "flawed". If you think this, you do not know what you are talking about.

um, no they're not. can you please PROVE to me the Big Bang is a factual account of the creation of the universe?
I think cheap adequately responded to this

yes, that is true. however, just as the opposition's arguement is flawed, so to is yours.
I don't understand how what I said can be both "true" and "flawed".

logic is illogical
No, but that statement is.

i believe no such list exists. you are merely basing this statement on the theories of others.

example of rebuttal-
"Well, if there is a list of "things that CAN be done" then logic dictates there must be a list of "things that CAN'T be done" and most of your THEORIES on how the universe began are on that list."
Logic does not dictate that there must be a list of things that "can't be done". In fact logic dictates that if you are attempting to make such a list you are being illogical.
Its a logical fallacy called an argumentum ad ignorantiam. (in common speech, argument from ignorance, or argument from personal incredulity, or argument from lack of imagination...lots of different terms) basically the argument is 'I can not imagine how this can be done, therefore it can't be done". Its a logical fallacy.
its also what you're doing here
and most of your THEORIES on how the universe began are on that list."
If we choose to use science and logic as our stepping stones, we can find a few things that CAN NOT exist (IF, AND ONLY IF the laws of logic and science always apply). One of those things is omnipotence. the difference between most theists and most atheists is that theists do not believe that logic and science always apply.

There is no comprehensive list of things that can be done, but there are some things that we know can be done either practically or theoretically. And a being that is omnipotent should be able to do all of them, correct?

One thing that could theoretically be done is building a structure that is so firm that the one who built it could not destroy it. Perhaps a human is not able to do this, but an omnipotent being should be able to, correct?

Also down the list of "things that are theoretically possible to do" would be "destroying that structure". Since this is a theoretically possible action, an omnipotent being should be able to do it.

This leads to the contradiction that an omnipotent being should be able to destroy an indestructable wall. Which is a logical absurdity. Therefore if you are to beleive that logic always applies (as I do), you can not believe in an omnipotent being. Now, this is just one of the many many attributes given to God, and by no means the only reason why I disbelieve in him. But it is an example of what I'm talking bout.

Also, I love how Alabama Thread is literally averse to intelligent conversations. Intelligence and seriousness is like you guys' kryptonite.

NOO MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP NEED MOAR ANIMATED GIFS

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
interesting.

the idea of laughing at someone else's belief just makes your own that much worse.

I believe in there is a god and that he set things for us to learn as time goes on.

:|
Nah. If I came in here saying my the straw on my McDonalds cup is speaking to me and telling me to write a book that will save humanity, you would either laugh at me or think i was deranged.

SleepyK

OH MAN PEOPLE BE POSTIN IN A MANNER ON A SOCIAL BOARD
OMG I'MMA PLAY MINI MOD HEY GUYS LISTEN TO ME I AM A CRUCIAL FIGURE IN THE SMASH COMMUNITY

ok i'm ready for my jr. infractions with bacon

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
OH MAN PEOPLE BE POSTIN IN A MANNER ON A SOCIAL BOARD
OMG I'MMA PLAY MINI MOD HEY GUYS LISTEN TO ME I AM A CRUCIAL FIGURE IN THE SMASH COMMUNITY

ok i'm ready for my jr. infractions with bacon
Flaming much?

Also, may want to let go of references to last year.

If anything I said can be taken away from this: If you want to debate things like the existence of a God, do it @ the debate hall.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Basically kazoo's upset that people are trying to be like him <3

Also @kazoo: They can do it wherever they want, honestly. They want to talk with their fellow state members, not people who they don't know.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
AL people are free to debate whatever subject they want in thier social thread.

Kazoo, why are you in here anyway? lol

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Basically kazoo's upset that people are trying to be like him <3
Not so much. I like debate however...

Also @kazoo: They can do it wherever they want, honestly. They want to talk with their fellow state members, not people who they don't know.
Read below...

Never mind that. :rolleyes: *Grabs the popcorn*

As for my being here: This is one of the threads that I keep track of. So, yeah... =/

Winnar

Smash Lord
Also, I love how Alabama Thread is literally averse to intelligent conversations. Intelligence and seriousness is like you guys' kryptonite.

NOO MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP NEED MOAR ANIMATED GIFS
literally

I love how you think this "debate" is intelligent.

don't worry about responding janitor I'm just gonna let you know I'm not going to respond in advance

gg?

edit - also I'm all for kazoo's suggestion of taking this "debate" to the "debate hall"

you know...a place for "debating" certain "topics" like "religion"

a place where people are expected to respond intelligently and thoughtfully to your overly long and hypercritical posts

hint
hint

SleepyK

Flaming much?

Also, may want to let go of references to last year.

If anything I said can be taken away from this: If you want to debate things like the existence of a God, do it @ the debate hall.
what references?

Not so much. I like debate however...

Never mind that. :rolleyes: *Grabs the popcorn*

As for my being here: This is one of the threads that I keep track of. So, yeah... =/
grab tha popcorn so i can minimod some more.
keepin track of this thread because i'm such an active poster in it

SleepyK

can't spell debate without

um

ate

because i am hungry.

anyway, who's going to to6? who's going to poe3?

GOD!

Smash Ace
Wow for the past couple pages this thread really went to hell...

Unless you don't believe in hell, that's ok too.

but seriously guys, let the pros talk about god and science and stuff cause they obviously know what they're talking about.

and theonejanitor, i was wondering if you could guest lecture at my college one of these days on the topic of logic and how it destroys religion. Ill be in touch.

Top Bottom