• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
It is?

Every Diddy Kong player I've ever played against did the exact same thing, but with varying degrees of skill.

That's saying something, as I've played against NinjaLink offline.

Maybe I should look into it. I was under the impression that the Diddy metagame was getting stale, and that his high-tier culture shock would slowly wane as people learned how to deal with bananas.
Ingulit said:
...and there are always ways to improve
Perhaps that was the more important part of that sentence... I'm not exactly NinjaLink, after all :S

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Perhaps that was the more important part of that sentence... I'm not exactly NinjaLink, after all :S
Well, I'm not trying to bring you down; I was just under the impression that Diddy's metagame hasn't made sizeable strides anytime recently.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cool interview. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the shoutouts. :)

Maybe I should look into it. I was under the impression that the Diddy metagame was getting stale, and that his high-tier culture shock would slowly wane as people learned how to deal with bananas.
I was following the Japanese tier list a while back. Diddy rose steadily to the top (or near the top. top 3-ish), and after about 3 months he began falling. (I think they update their tier list more often than our SBR does)

I read that it was because of this exact thing. People got too used to the bananas and figured out how to get a hold of them more easily. The Diddy players were then forced to have only one banana out at a time (or none), and he fell because of it.

In the videos I've seen of the Japanese Diddys, I did notice that they have much less banana use than the U.S. Diddys do. Because of this, they've also invested more time in coming up with strategies/combos/setups/traps that don't use bananas. It's interesting to watch and keep up with over time.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I've heard about crazy differences in the way **** play though. Like chaingrabbing is dishonorrable and stuff.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
i put one of the video descriotions in a free translator and this is what it came out as

Input is made with under→RorL. 《主語なし》It develops from there. 《主語なし》It is made with under→R orL→A if it is under A. 《主語なし》Incidentally it is possibility only in the top and possibility condition of the unit where it guards. Guard cancellation unit rain be possibility with RorL→under (1/3).

i wonder does he mean down when he says under?
I think he means down, as in down on the control stick. And by the 1/3rd, I think he means holding it down 1/3rd of the way. Whatever translated that probably substituted under because 下 can mean under, down, below, etc...

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I don't see it as dishonorable, it's playing to win. I think it would have been dishonorable for me NOT to have chaingrabbed that Lucario player off the side of Castle Siege. (someone ban that stage)

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Wait.
What if you had 5 asian Ness players who all wore shirts that said "No.3" and used the same tag.
And at the start of each match, he'd tell you in great detail about how he was the third strongest player in his group of 5, and extol the value of being third.
What now.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Asians look different sometimes.

Otherwise all of our women would be hot.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Asians look different sometimes.

Otherwise all of our women would be hot.
white people think all asian women are hot
m i rite

i just like diddy because he's one of the only characters with more movement options than dash and walk

but I strongly dislike his lack of killing ability.
if his fsmash was as strong as fox's upsmash I'd probably have stuck with diddy.

but the reason all diddy's play the same is not because the character is shallow, its because no one knows how to deal with bananas.
Diddy has a really solid moveset, and decent edgeguarding ability, and lots of neat tricks and random stuff like uptilt kills, and his aerials are all great, AC'd nair is good, SHDbair, peanut canceling, ultimate priority monkey kick (which can be lag-cancelled)...etc...he's got depth.

but why bother when you can beat 90 percent of people by
throwing banana--->grab/cartwheel
repeat

I play diddy against lucarios though.

i also sometimes play him against olimars (except danGRs, who i think i'm just going to have to try MK against from now on :-()

samus gets chaingrabbed?

hey cheap have a smash fest with melee

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to GG if Andy's going.

Hopefully this time we won't get caught in a snowstorm on the way back.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
The tournament results have finally been processed for VGB5 on AiB. I tried my best to match everyone's names up, so all that would have to be done was to confirm yourselves, but I had trouble finding some people like Spade, and I know Nu doesn't have an account on AiB.

j00t

Smash Champion
I think I'm going to play Brawl now.

Moogle, could you change my mains to Wario/Ganon/Sheik please? I probably play a ton of other characters but I'll focus on these three until I play the game again. :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

Moogle, could you change my mains to Wario/Ganon/Sheik please? I probably play a ton of other characters but I'll focus on these three until I play the game again. :p
Interesting.

GOOD TO HAVE YOU ABOARD AGAIN

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Oh Joot, you are such a hypocrite. lol

*shakes head in discontent*

:p

Its not so bad once you get used to it. I actually enjoy it more than Melee now (maybes its cause new). Still though, Melee is far better for competition and much more fun to watch imo.

j00t

Smash Champion
Oh Joot, you are such a hypocrite. lol

*shakes head in discontent*

:p

Its not so bad once you get used to it. I actually enjoy it more than Melee now (maybes its cause new). Still though, Melee is far better for competition and much more fun to watch imo.
I agree entirely... but there is this little part of me that likes Brawl, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still focusing on Melee. But.... I'll play Brawl like 5% of the time. If Melee and Brawl are in front of me at the same time, Melee will win every time. I'll play Brawl when it's the only thing available. :p

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
wtf Auburn people

I get to play people locally now??

I WAS THINKING ABOUT QUITTING BRAWL YOU *******S!!!

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Wait.
What if you had 5 asian Ness players who all wore shirts that said "No.3" and used the same tag.
And at the start of each match, he'd tell you in great detail about how he was the third strongest player in his group of 5, and extol the value of being third.
What now.
I remember those bosses.

Top Bottom