• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
We don't ban him because there aren't that many Metaknight players in Alabama. I can only name two: Will and Munkus Beaver.

On that subject, instead of just complaining about how broken Metaknight is, we should figure out new ways to beat him. If you go to tournaments, chances are that you'll have to play a good one eventually.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Last I checked, banning MK was an extreme minority, not a majority.

I'm willing to bet that they heard of it being banned at all and then embellished.

EDIT: To what Pika said, this is very true. Neither of us switched to MK in order to get a competitive edge either, we've been using MK since the start. AFAIK, there hasn't been an MK player place in the top 3 positions at a bama tourney besides Will and I. Hell, I'd be surprised if any were in the top 5.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
so i've heard from a fellow smasher that many of the major tournaments have banned MetaKnight. Is this true? And if so, WHY THE HELL DON'T WE DO IT!?

on a side note, yesterday was my berfday!!:grin:
I have yet to play at a tournament that bans Meta Knight.

I think that's really just in Texas, as an experiment.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
well we should "experiment" in alabama.
nah im kidding.
although there was this *** in my pool last tourney that beat me with upB and tornado and dsmash spam.
**** that.
im not biased twords MK if the player ACTUALLY knows how to play the game and knows a little about the game outside of brokenness.

from what i can tell, we dont have any "MK noobs" except for that one kid. i dont remember his name though...
and im just mad because i havent really figured out how exactly to play against JESUS/MK yet. :D

j00t

Smash Champion
well we should "experiment" in alabama.
nah im kidding.
although there was this *** in my pool last tourney that beat me with upB and tornado and dsmash spam.
**** that.
im not biased twords MK if the player ACTUALLY knows how to play the game and knows a little about the game outside of brokenness.

from what i can tell, we dont have any "MK noobs" except for that one kid. i dont remember his name though...
and im just mad because i havent really figured out how exactly to play against JESUS/MK yet. :D
His name was probably Mo.

nice1

Smash Lord
**** that sucks
so no double kirbies?
maybe nice 1 will team with me

@ kalm. well no one in AL plays ddd anyway, except elev8 and i dunno if he's coming and dave moved I believe. but i guess I know who to cp against you :-P

iono, ddd doesn't seem that bad to me unless I play dk or ike to a lesser extent
sure i'll team wit u

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i used to complain about metaknight more than anyone as many of you will remember.
and granted, he's obviously overpowered, and imo easily the best character.
and there are some characters that have no shot against MK

but then I learned how to play the game correctly

and it's not really so bad anymore. He's just a good character that you have to alter your playstyle against. Or just pick diddy or snake.
i wish I could do that with sheik and peach in melee though.

metaknight's gameplay is extremely extremely predictable. It's just really hard to punish is all.
metaknight has no windown lag on anything except uptilt, the final hit of his ftilt, and upsmash, so usually don't try to punish him by block/attacking, or even spotdodge/attacking. unless you you have a move that comes out very fast. In some cases shield grabbing doesn't even work.
you punish metaknight by pressuring him from a distance and jumping under/ over his missed attacks. and by simply predicting and throwing stuff out
MK has more range than almost every character in the game, so you can't fight him straight up. you have to fight MK like spiderman would fight the hulk. he's not going to run up to him and try to box him out. the problem is when you fight MK's like Will_ who plays MK like spiderman, i can't help you there. When i learn to beat Will I'll let you know :-D
anyway, MK is just a matter of being patient and stop trying to fight him like he's a regular character who lags after he attacks lol
almost every character has a move that beats tornado. so just predict the tornado and use the moves that beats tornado.
as for d-smash, just block it and jump away. or block it and jab. or use a move that comes out quickly

MK's basically pressure you with priority, and try to mindgame you into getting hit by d-smash when you try to punish something that's unpunishable.
and they throw out relatively safe moves like glide attack and tornado just to try to keep momentum

or just play snake and run away and throw grenades, and shield drop a grenade whenever metaknight attacks

j00t

Smash Champion
yeah he beat will once. i remember, cuz he was REALLY upset about it lol

he's terrible though. it was a complete fluke.
See, even if you're completely amazing with Metaknight, you can still lose to scrub MKs.

Isn't that so fun and balanced?

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I just blew at the matchup, I blow less now. My set with a ranked FL MK(Rx) was kinda interesting, I tried out my 'downB to counter fsmash' theory.

Oh yeah, IC3 was some good exp. Screw going to the next one, though.

EDIT: My sets with the FL players were like

Rx: DK/Rob-lost, MK/MK-won, MK/MK, won and both dittos were one stock iirc

HRnut: DK/Snake-lost, MK/Snake-won w/ 2 stock, MK/Snake-lost w/ 1

GDX: MK/Diddy-lost, MK/Diddy-won, MK/Diddy-lost, all 1 stock iirc.

I was two stocking nut and gdx the next day after getting some sleep, but it was friendlies so w/e.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
mo was trying to act like a hardass when he beat me.
i was like "ok so why dont you pick wario and i pick metaknight and see who wins"
cuz im even better with mk then him.

bleh whatever. im better at the game now. alot better. so its in the past. i was still n00bish back then

j00t

Smash Champion
Actually, I don't know what I was thinking. I live in fear of Luigi's super chop, and I still didn't acknowledge it.

Lucas has the second-best F-Smash in the game.
Reflex had to be corrected? GASP!

But yeah I agree, Luigi's fsmash is ******** in Brawl.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
So is t-town usually the only place to host tournies?

im obv new to the brawl community of AL so bare with me
there are tournaments hosted in the birmingham area as well. tuscaloosa seems to get the most attendance though (which is still abysmal by comparison to other states)

i think luigi's fsmash kills snake at under 100 percent

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Over the DDD thing, I wouldn't expect to just be able to pick him and instantly faceroll me to death. The primary reason I hate him is because he's the worst matchup for DK like ever, and I have 2 people on my friends list that are stupid good with him.

Also, I can't do Toon Link, it just doesn't work. Diddy might still be worth looking into but I'm feeling way more confident with Kirby and Lucario.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Over the DDD thing, I wouldn't expect to just be able to pick him and instantly faceroll me to death. The primary reason I hate him is because he's the worst matchup for DK like ever, and I have 2 people on my friends list that are stupid good with him.

Also, I can't do Toon Link, it just doesn't work. Diddy might still be worth looking into but I'm feeling way more confident with Kirby and Lucario.
i'm probably just going to go all snake throughout the whole tournament anyway.
ive learned to channel my inner ally

ally is amazing dude, he's the most creative snake i've ever seen

well in pools i might go random.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I would if I wasn't going to work in like 5 minutes.

Did your connection clear up or was that just a rare thing last time?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
ill be down to play online whenever.
just im me.
kalm never responds anymore :[

Top Bottom