• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Mr. Referee

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, sorry, I just assumed that everybody, even new members had already seen the tier list. And good job guys representing our state. I should be starting to come to some tourneys pretty soon.

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
thnx; another question

I always hear "Ness > Lucas"

i never see it and/or the people never give me legit reasons.
someone explain this and if it is true

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah, I guess we are riding together.

Peoples need to get on AIM within a week or so to make sure we have things organized.

Mainly ShaSLAM since we're using his car and I guess my directions.
Plus I was hoping we could get together prior the event and train it up, my main is DK but I've got no clue who my secondary is, and I'm not about to go DK vs D3.

j00t

Smash Champion
Peoples need to get on AIM within a week or so to make sure we have things organized.

Mainly ShaSLAM since we're using his car and I guess my directions.
Plus I was hoping we could get together prior the event and train it up, my main is DK but I've got no clue who my secondary is, and I'm not about to go DK vs D3.
Squirtle is fun to use against DDD.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Ewwww PT...
I suck with all three pokemon.
I guess a better idea would be to say who I'm fairly good with/intrested in.

Aside from the main DK, I'm at least fairly confident using:
Wolf, Ike, Toon Link
Diddy, Lucario, Kirby
Then after that my low tier love shines through...
Yoshi, Sonic, Mario brothers
Link, Bowser, Fox
Ganon, Falcon

Which one of these would be good bets to use against DK's hardcore counters?

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Great that was my guess too, need to retrain with him /sigh.
Playing a rotation of over a dozen characters both helps and hurts.
I need more people to play offline with him, I can't play him for crap online.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
@anyone going to CoT4

I've got a few questions.

Is there room for one more to come? :)

I looked up on google maps how long the drive would be if I did go. 14 hours and 9 minutes??? How do you do this?

Can I invest in Reflex' entree fee to the low tier tourney to get 10% of the winnings?

That is all.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I'm pretty sure Reflex said he wouldn't be going.
How in the world do you get 14 hours do you live in Ohio or something?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I live in Madison, AL. Google maps said 14 hours. I have no idea how long it would really take.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
CoT4 is a national tourney in Philadelphia, PA. If I don't go to CoT4, I'll most likely go to the Tuscaloosa tourney.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Crap I mixed them up, like I did two days ago. Why do we have two tournies on like the same day.

And why doesn't the flyer give me the tourny name lol.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Crap I mixed them up, like I did two days ago. Why do we have two tournies on like the same day.

And why doesn't the flyer give me the tourny name lol.
haha, it should have a name.

Do you live on the Auburn Campus?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
oops was i suppose to be on aim?
lol ive been wasting time ranting about americas best dance crew and how we influenced MTV to turn the show into a freakshow by voting for supercr3w last season when they ddint realy dance and jkdhaksdnajkdskansknskn

hahahhahahahahahhaha. well anyways. i will be back from now on and on aim my friends. :D

edit: and mr. referee. im sorry my parents just threw up that i was going to birmingham with them for the weekend. LAME! >:o
so no smash for me this weekend. im sorry dude. i wanted to.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Ewwww PT...
I suck with all three pokemon.
I guess a better idea would be to say who I'm fairly good with/intrested in.

Aside from the main DK, I'm at least fairly confident using:
Wolf, Ike, Toon Link
Diddy, Lucario, Kirby
Then after that my low tier love shines through...
Yoshi, Sonic, Mario brothers
Link, Bowser, Fox
Ganon, Falcon

Which one of these would be good bets to use against DK's hardcore counters?
oh and **** up that D3 with some spacies Kalm, lol either that or id go gannon. :D

ok so i was kidding about gannon.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
It doesn't have a name? Doh?

I live right outside the campus, I don't actually go to college right now. My girlfriend is, and I moved up here shortly after she did to support her living while she finished her Graphic Design major. I'm sure this would be a surprise to most of you thinking I'm 15 or something. I go to the college from time to time and pose as a student to play people in the gaming center, but none of them are that great, the best one there plays Snake and camps FD, I usually have him 2/3 unless we pick literally any other stage, then I have him 4/5.
But most of the time it's lame FFAs and everyone is too caught up in homework to do anything after hours. Smells like dog.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
oh and **** up that D3 with some spacies Kalm, lol either that or id go gannon. :D

ok so i was kidding about gannon.
Man I would almost go Ganon too, Ganon banned.

Honestly I'd want to pick Ike the most, but I know I would just get gimp-fested very quickly. I know the best bet against D3 is never get grabbed, out camp him, and have an awesome recovery. I'm not good enough with Kirby to trust the grab game, and not good enough with Diddy to trust much of anything.
Poop Cakes.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man I would almost go Ganon too, Ganon banned.

Honestly I'd want to pick Ike the most, but I know I would just get gimp-fested very quickly. I know the best bet against D3 is never get grabbed, out camp him, and have an awesome recovery. I'm not good enough with Kirby to trust the grab game, and not good enough with Diddy to trust much of anything.
Poop Cakes.
You should use Olimar! He's fairly simple to get used to once you know what each pikmin does. He's fun, rare, confusing for opponents, good, and most importantly, beats DDD handily.

My brother goes to Auburn. I thought you might possibly know him. (Even though there's thousands of students, he's knows EVERYONE)

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
You should use Olimar! He's fairly simple to get used to once you know what each pikmin does. He's fun, rare, confusing for opponents, good, and most importantly, beats DDD handily.

My brother goes to Auburn. I thought you might possibly know him. (Even though there's thousands of students, he's knows EVERYONE)

Yeah, but the only problem with that is that I hate Olimar so very much it hurts. =(
Can't stand friggin Jiggly either, trade for Mewtwo plox.
I can't even fight Olimar worth a crap, if it wasn't for DK being so good against him I'd never win.

Send me a PM then ref geez!

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah i was brawling kalm when you messaged me ref.
but its time for bed...

we shall get details sorted out soon enough. :D

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont even know whats going on.

anyway ness > lucas because
lucas's grab sucks, ness's grab is amazing
lucas's recovery isn't as good
ness is stronger
ness's aerials are better
lucas's f-smash is good but the rest of his smashes have ******** windup and winddown lag
ness has better costumes
ness kills characters easier

how do you play every character but can't find one to fight against DDD lol
just play anyone except DK and ike

the flyer is mainly for tuscaloosa locals
use the thread if you want information, or just ask
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214332

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I beg to differ on the Lucas/Ness differences. Ness is stronger than Lucas, imo, but some of the points I find a little skewed.

Lucas's recovery is better than Ness's. A: It goes further B: More difficult to gimp C: PK fire momentum + PSI Magnet.
Ness's aerials are easier to hit and approach with, but Lucas has a wider variety of moves.
Lucas's D-smash is a God-send against some opponents. It comes out pretty fast, can be used for dodge spammers, and doesn't leave him vulnerable for too long.

Side note: Impact Clash. I decided to go to it about a few hours before the caravan headed out of Birmingham. Overall, the voyage was fun, the venue was great, but the organization and management reflected last year's. Still nice people, and if they keep improving, I might make it out to IC 5 or 6.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
i dont even know whats going on.

how do you play every character but can't find one to fight against DDD lol
just play anyone except DK and ike

the flyer is mainly for tuscaloosa locals
use the thread if you want information, or just ask
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214332
How can I just play anyone when D3 has so many way one-sided matchups. I need to just fight them piece of trash more often and offline I guess, the whole "omg don't let me grab you I'm broken" thing is a nasty barrier I'm trying to break.
Yeah I play every character, but I'm not going to take every character to tournaments lol. I'm good with a lot of guys but what matters with placing well is whom I play REALLY good with. In the end it's probably going to happen anyways, but I really want to at least try not getting shut down by one character's ridiculous advantages. If I wanted to not have to worry about massively crippling chaingrabs, campfests, and dragon punches, I'd just stick with the low tier tourny.

ShockisBack

Smash Rookie
DanGr, are you coming to the one in Tuscaloosa? I think it's literally a 50 second walk from my dorm... probably about a 2 1/4 hour drive from your house or so. maybe you could carpool down with john or something.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
falco or wolf are your best bet against D3
falco is generally all D3 main's worst matchup.

anywayssssss. Ness' Fair>Lucas

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Lucas has the best F-Smash in the game.

I've got a few questions.

Is there room for one more to come? :)

I looked up on google maps how long the drive would be if I did go. 14 hours and 9 minutes??? How do you do this?

Can I invest in Reflex' entree fee to the low tier tourney to get 10% of the winnings?

That is all.
I'm going with BigLou and Kismet, currently. Will_ said that he wanted to come. There should be room for five people, so it should work.

I'm looking at a 16-hour drive from my house. I'm going to suck it up, because I'm a nice guy.

If I get robbed at the tournament and can't pay for it, sure. <3

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I forfeited singles. I played my match against GDX, and my heart just wasn't in it, so I fell asleep under a table afterward. I also didn't play in the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom tournament I registered for. Maybe if they had just DQed the person who wasn't showing up to any of the games he had registered to play and was matched up against me.

We get to the venue Sunday only to discover that someone has made off with my Wii, and it turns a decent trip into my worst ever. I don't really feel like going to any more tournaments for a while.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
**** that sucks
so no double kirbies?
maybe nice 1 will team with me

@ kalm. well no one in AL plays ddd anyway, except elev8 and i dunno if he's coming and dave moved I believe. but i guess I know who to cp against you :-P

iono, ddd doesn't seem that bad to me unless I play dk or ike to a lesser extent

3GOD

Smash Ace
We get to the venue Sunday only to discover that someone has made off with my Wii, and it turns a decent trip into my worst ever. I don't really feel like going to any more tournaments for a while.
People who steal stuff terribly lame...I hope you'll still be able to come to Tuscaloosa on the 7th because I need Kirby practice.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I forfeited singles. I played my match against GDX, and my heart just wasn't in it, so I fell asleep under a table afterward. I also didn't play in the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom tournament I registered for. Maybe if they had just DQed the person who wasn't showing up to any of the games he had registered to play and was matched up against me.

We're chipping in to buy you a new wii, because that was just bull****. You are the calmest guy I know to stay cool while all that was going on.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
so i've heard from a fellow smasher that many of the major tournaments have banned MetaKnight. Is this true? And if so, WHY THE HELL DON'T WE DO IT!?

on a side note, yesterday was my berfday!!:grin:

Top Bottom