• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I would be Ness, but it seems kinda out of place if I use him in low-tier matches... I call Captain Falcon then!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey George/T1J/anyone else who hosts tourneys,

What's your stance on infinites?

<_<

>_>

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
infinites that are situational, can't be done by my 3 year old baby cousin (like wobbling in melee), and can be done based on the matchup (as opposed to reasons such as "because there is a wall present") are okay with me.

basically anything that doesn't break the game is fine. if you can teach someone whose never played brawl this infinite, and then he can all of sudden win a tournament, then its busted and should be banned. if not, then whatever.

also, ike is good. if he had a decent recovery he'd be GOD TIER (and a MK counter)

i would run a mid-low tier tournament, but toon link and olimar would savagely and anally **** such a thing

Will_

Smash Journeyman
HA! I'll take THAT >:3 /stolen

I think a low-tier tourney is a great idea. Count me in.
Lol you could have asked me anytime for it. :]

I'm pretty much with T1J on this one. Ice Climber infinites take practice and skill. I taught my little brother the D3 dthrow infinite on DK in a minute(he doesn't even play D3) and he took a stock off every time he grabbed.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Not really. Take away his fart and he might drop to #10 or something.
yeah i know... since its the high tier characters that put him as low as he is... and once you take them and all the CG's and grab releases out of the equation i guess my short and chubby little fellow is pretty **** :]

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Olimar actually wouldn't **** a midlow tournament so much. Peach and Luigi are two of the biggest counters, and they are also midtier. Toon Link would do pretty well in a midtier tournament, but not any more so than Meta Knight does in a top tier tournament.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
also, ike is good. if he had a decent recovery he'd be GOD TIER (and a MK counter)
huh?

would run a mid-low tier tournament, but toon link and olimar would savagely and anally **** such a thing
meh... I'd rather use Olimar in a normal tourney than a mid tier one. All his worst matchups are in mid tier. He goes even with or beats everyone in high/top tier except MK, Rob, and maybe Marth.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
By the time we got to Toony we would likely be causing some serious stress for a good few bottom characters. I would think we could include just a couple mid tier characters, but matchup charts would have to be examined.

Do that and we might could add 3 or 4 mid tier dudes without messing anything up.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
He has one of the nastiest projectile games there is, and he's sick at with combos, pressure, and general damage racking.

If he could kill easily as well he'd be too much of a Keta Might.

j00t

Smash Champion
He has one of the nastiest projectile games there is, and he's sick at with combos, pressure, and general damage racking.

If he could kill easily as well he'd be too much of a Keta Might.
1) Combos don't exist in Barlw.

2) Olimar and Snake > Toon Link in terms of a long-range game.

3) He will never ever be anywhere close to Metaknight, Keta Might, Meatknight or any other variation of the name I don't know about.

j00t has spoken.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
1) Combos don't exist in Barlw.

2) Olimar and Snake > Toon Link in terms of a long-range game.

3) He will never ever be anywhere close to Metaknight, Keta Might, Meatknight or any other variation of the name I don't know about.

j00t has spoken.
1) Combos do exist in Barlw, I know for a fact there's at least four of them total so far.
At least four.....

2)I keep forgetting about Olimar due to my pure and undieing hatred for him. Even so, I think top three counts as some of the nastiest blah blah blah. Maybe just me though.

3)Nobody is, everyone knows that. But you don't have to be that close to Keatmight to be too much of a Keatmight.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
yeah i know... since its the high tier characters that put him as low as he is... and once you take them and all the CG's and grab releases out of the equation i guess my short and chubby little fellow is pretty **** :]

There's A RAPTOR that would like to speak to you.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Why all the Olimar hate? He's only mid tier. :(

Sorry Dan, I just hate Olimar in general. I hate the game, hate the character, hate the fact that he's in brawl instead of someone else, hate is playstyle, I just hate him general, like I said.

Also, he's the only character that I've played with like less than 5 times total, I seldom fight him and I don't study him because I'm so disgusted with him. Because of that, and also because his attacks are all so stupidly similar I get frustrated easily fighting him because I don't even know what the hell he's doing or what he can do. Plus his grab makes me cry.

There's my Olimar rant, I hate Jiggly too.

But I'm just an idiot, we all know this. Let us hear more from smart people now.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I've been thinking... Will_ is scared of me!He played with Ness and other people against others, but for me he just turned around and whipped out his Meatknight... and then got a massage.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I went MK for the entire losers bracket and finals exluding one match. I was trying to regain my feel with MK after losing that ditto with Mo. But your diddy kong would make anybody scared. xD

And Dog Latin's PKT control is immaculate. He reminds me of how I would play if I used Ness' projectiles well. Which I don't.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lol @ olimar not ****** the mid tier. the reason that high tiers exist is so that olimar and toon link don't **** the game

and I never understood why people couldn't kill with toon link

upair, f-smash, upsmash are all superb killing moves.

Toon Link would do pretty well in a midtier tournament, but not any more so than Meta Knight does in a top tier tournament.
um..which is really really well?

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Yes, TL is beast. tbh if MK were banned tomorrow TL would be my replacement for him.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
lol @ olimar not ****** the mid tier. the reason that high tiers exist is so that olimar and toon link don't **** the game

and I never understood why people couldn't kill with toon link

upair, f-smash, upsmash are all superb killing moves.

um..which is really really well?
Well, Fsmash is a really good killer, but it's very unreliable because the second hit is the killing one. Usmash is pretty decent but it's just one move, you have to be smart with it to get it to kill as well, but not as much as Fsmash. Usmash is a bit weaker but it will get the job done after enough damage. Fair is the other good one, it has a lot of kill power fresh and you can string into it easily.

Then there's the sexiest spike in the game, his Hell Pogo.... I made that up.

But anyways, TL has to set up his playstyle around his projectiles and pecking away for damage racking, a lot of people spend so much time getting good at this they forget to focus on specific killing strategies. He really has only a few options for getting kills off so you can tell a lot of increased potential from someone seamlessly able to move from one playstyle to the other, the damage strings and the killer strings.

Sonic has the same problem, but with more suck involved.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
@ dangr, Ike ***** MKs that don't know how to edgeguard. He's the only character in the game that truly outranges Metaknight.

f-smash's first hit stuns your opponent for the second hit unless the opponent is at like 900 percent, so that's not a problem. people just tend to pause too long in between the two hits
personally i like to use f-smash to punish people and upsmash/upair to kill..all you have to do is save your upsmash until they're anywhere above 110 percent, and just spot dodge upsmash, or shield upsmash. or just run up to someone and upsmash when they don't expect it. amen you win...f-air is hard for me to hit people with, but that could just be me sucking

people over complicate brawl. all you have to do is pick a kill move and save it. then hit your opponent a lot, then use your kill move when his damages is dark red. forget all these double barrel quick draw jump cancelled bomb slide bull**** just dont get hit and hit your opponent a lot and then find a set up for your kill move. and thats it. maybe its just me personally i just like to simplify things. with toon link, I throw stuff the whole match and back-air, and try to use his nair like marth's nair but it works not quite as well. fsmash and dsmash when there's an opening, upsmash ftw. when I play kirby, I spam back-air and dash attack and thats it for the most part. and then f-smash when they get up in damage. with diddy, I glide toss bananas, to dash attack or grab, and back air out of shield. f-smash to win usually and that's it. with snake, I f-tilt and throw ****. and upsmash when the opponent is in the air, and uptilt to win. with ness I spam fair the whole match and back throw to win.
for almost all my characters, I pretty much rely on one move to kill.

really the only character I don't do this with is metaknight because his only decent non-situation-specific kill move f-smash is stupid and only lands when your opponent randomly forgets to block. but MK is of course fine because he can edgeguard you to ****, and just keep d-smashing and glide attacking until you're dead.

characters that have trouble killing are sheik, sonic, and peach to some extent, toon link is ay okay. he's too low on the tier list for sure.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I just like to bash my own characters occasionally... Tlink is definitely a below average killer, but i know he's really good.

Olimar is **** and should be in top tier, but honestly, as weird as it is, half his counters are midtier. Peach is considered Olimars absolute worst matchup, Luigi is also a tough fight for Olimar. He has 80-20 on like, every other midtier character though, so i suppose you could call that ****.

j00t

Smash Champion
theONEjanitor said:
characters that have trouble killing are sheik, sonic, and peach to some extent, toon link is ay okay. he's too low on the tier list for sure.
Sheik's upsmash is pretty godly if you ask me. I think Sheik can kill just fine.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's his mid tier matchups imo:
Middle
Toon Link- 65-35
Olimar- ditto
Fox- 60-40
Zelda- 75-25
Zero Suit Samus- 50-50
Bowser- 65-35
Luigi- 30-70
Peach- 30-70
Ike- 70-30
Sheik- 35-65

That isn't ****.
Too bad Olimar is one of Ike's worst matchups:( Dan, don't fight me so i don't have to change characters:p
It feels wrong...almost as wrong as using MK... :)

@ dangr, Ike ***** MKs that don't know how to edgeguard. He's the only character in the game that truly outranges Metaknight.
MK may have a little bit less range, but he's got sooo much more speed and sooo many more options in every situation that it's really incomparable. MK ***** Ike even without edgeguarding.

Edit: @peeps who hate brawl- why all the brawl hate? I'm completely serious.

j00t

Smash Champion
DanGR said:
Edit: @peeps who hate brawl- why all the brawl hate? I'm completely serious.
Because it's terrible compared to Melee? If Melee didn't exist then yeah, Brawl would be okay I guess.

Top Bottom