• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Here's his mid tier matchups imo:
Middle
Toon Link- 65-35
Olimar- ditto
Fox- 60-40
Zelda- 75-25
Zero Suit Samus- 50-50
Bowser- 65-35
Luigi- 30-70
Peach- 30-70
Ike- 70-30
Sheik- 35-65

ahhhh numbers
maybe i'm just terrible against olimar, which i am

i can't imagine how sheik beats olimar
and peach beating olimar is what everyone says but i dont understand that either

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
dangr play my ike an don't edgeguard me :-) you'll see
You're on!

ahhhh numbers
maybe i'm just terrible against olimar, which i am

i can't imagine how sheik beats olimar
and peach beating olimar is what everyone says but i dont understand that either
Any character with a "ground-canceled" aerial such as Sheik's nair, and a 2 frame jab can aerial->jab faster than Olimar can grab OoS.

That's how.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Jab -> Jab -> Jab.

Jab -> Jab -> Jab.

N-Air, N-Air...F-Air...

Jab -> Jab -> GRAB

Ike metagame.

Luigi players can choose to do this too, actually.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
You're on!

Any character with a "ground-canceled" aerial such as Sheik's nair, and a 2 frame jab can aerial->jab faster than Olimar can grab OoS.

That's how.
well um just uptilt, fair, bair, nair, or upsmash whenever someone short hops at you. i dont see how peach in particular would have an answer for olimar just swatting her out of the air
or run away and throw stuff
or keep blocking

its olimar, grabbing out of shield isn't what he does anyway, grabbing you from across the stage while you're doing a move is what he does

i can believe luigi more so than anyone, but he's another character that ***** the mid tier

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
well um just uptilt, fair, bair, nair, or upsmash whenever someone short hops at you. i dont see how peach in particular would have an answer for olimar just swatting her out of the air
or run away and throw stuff
or keep blocking
Uptilt and nairs can work, but the characters that I'm worried about- Luigi, Peach, Sheik- beat out or trade hits with his uptilt and nair with their nair or dair. (Remember, they're multhit so it'd only deal about 2% when it trades hits) Also, uptilt has a lot of lag that can be punished if you can predict it.

Olimar has crap priority on his pikmin attacks. His fair and upsmash are worthless if you can just have a hitbox out when the pikmin reaches you. Take for example Luigi's nair and Peach's dair. They both beat out EVERY pikmin attack (and regular attack...) except upair and upb- which have physics of their own. People focus WAY too much on Olimar rather than the pikmin in his attacks.

its olimar, grabbing out of shield isn't what he does anyway, grabbing you from across the stage while you're doing a move is what he does
If the Olimar player knows what you're doing and can pivotgrab you while you do it, you're not being very unpredictable and that's your fault. It's not Olimar. Most characters can just pressure Olimar enough into using pivotgrabs until he reaches the edge of the stage. When that happens, he has to rely on his shield and it becomes much easier to approach him.

While a spaced pivotgrab is nearly unpunishable, Luigi can use fireballs, Peach can float over it, and Sheik is fast enough to avoid it/jump over it.

My worst nightmare is a Sheik that knows how to short hop nair->jab. If she does it correctly, it's unbeatable by Olimar. seriously. The nair beats out every attack Olimar has aerial and ground wise, and the jabs are faster than all of Olimar's OoS options- including his grab. If I pivotgrab, she's quick enough to jump over it and nair->jab again, spray needles at me, or drift backwards and not towards Olimar like most do for some strange reason.

Luigi can SHfair->nair->jab, and can beat pivotgrabs with fireballs. Peach can just float and dair or nair->jab. If I pivotgrab then, she just continues floating.

Everyone needs to quit complaining about him and learn what his attacks look like. It would only take a couple minutes in practice mode. It's not difficult. I have to put up with no grab armor, bad priority, and a lightweight, floaty character without an edgeguarding game or a decent recovery. Just learn to abuse one of those weaknesses and you should be fine.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys let's make haiku about barwl:

L-cancelling, what?
This is Brawl you **** fool scrub
Trip into F-smash

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
olimar's pikmin don't have priority but they have ridiculous range. the hitboxes for them are like twice as big as the actual pikmin especially on the upsmash. 'looking' at the moves isn't really the issue. invisible hitboxes are half the reason that half the characters in the game are so viable.
like if a peach with non-supernatural reflexes short hop floats, you should be able to space a fair or bair and not get hit, and in most cases hit peach before she does anything.

i dunno much about fighting sheik or luigi because i dont fight them often.

also you dont need grab armor when you can be halfway across the screen and still land grabs lol

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
scratch that, turns out im being dragged to IHOP by my GF

so instead, wanna barwl me on the interwebs in an hour-hour half mahg?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
lol, Green Ace=RAPTOR that Mahg mentioned. Great Yoshi, you should play him.
oh. that clears it up a bit.
thatd be great.
i thought it was a real raptor and i was about to get the **** eaten out of me...:psycho:

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Yeah, but if you're too drunk to care then it's all okay. The trick is to stay out of the deadzone where you suck because of you're drinking and you can tell because you aren't really drunk.
Then you just get frustrated in nonsense ways and start picking fights, next thing you know you're waking up with a missing kidney.

I've seen this happen at least 4 times, don't drink and brawl.

........ what?

Majist

Smash Journeyman
i dont play brawl well when im drunk
j00t can attest that i don't play barlw online drunk very well at all lol. being drunk AND having lag? come on, that's a double-whammy:laugh:

though, everyone here should try the best drinking game in the world at least once. It's called Smash Shots, and you have to play MELEE to do it right, just because Brawl didn't exist at the time this game was made. Plus Melee's better and more chaotic when you're drunk.....scratch that, it's better PERIOD.

Anyway, the way it works is you play 4-player FFA, 4-stock matches. The WINNER of the match has to down a shot of some liquor. If there's one guy who's better than everyone else, let's say for example Moogle, he won't be the best for long. It's hilarious. He'd eventually have to pick Marth and just slam the Fsmash over and over to do anything, hahaha.

Of course, someone else would win eventually, then they'd have to take the shot. This game becomes very balanced in terms of player skill quite quickly.

Try imagining Moogle playing Melee completely smashed (heehee clever pun!! :3). That sounds like a good day to me.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
where are you at? i could some over for a little birthday brawling (i hit drinking age saturday.....but dont worry i dont think ill be drinking)
Hey, our 21st b-days are pretty close. Mine's on the 18th, and I'm thinking about throwing a smashfest but I dunno if ppl would come due to school and work.

And you guys might have to take me off the AL power rankings soon. I'm most likely moving back to GA for school. ;_;

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Now I'll be #2! But really, don't leave us. :(

The 18th is actually doable for me provided I can make it to Huntsville somehow.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
j00t can attest that i don't play barlw online drunk very well at all lol. being drunk AND having lag? come on, that's a double-whammy:laugh:

though, everyone here should try the best drinking game in the world at least once. It's called Smash Shots, and you have to play MELEE to do it right, just because Brawl didn't exist at the time this game was made. Plus Melee's better and more chaotic when you're drunk.....scratch that, it's better PERIOD.

Anyway, the way it works is you play 4-player FFA, 4-stock matches. The WINNER of the match has to down a shot of some liquor. If there's one guy who's better than everyone else, let's say for example Moogle, he won't be the best for long. It's hilarious. He'd eventually have to pick Marth and just slam the Fsmash over and over to do anything, hahaha.

Of course, someone else would win eventually, then they'd have to take the shot. This game becomes very balanced in terms of player skill quite quickly.

Try imagining Moogle playing Melee completely smashed (heehee clever pun!! :3). That sounds like a good day to me.

With some good shots, I'd so totally do this.

Like totally so.... in fact I want to do it now. >.<

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Now I'll be #2! But really, don't leave us. :(

The 18th is actually doable for me provided I can make it to Huntsville somehow.
I could make it saturday(the 20th) if you guys would like that better.

I don't want to leave either. :[ My credits from GSU probably won't transfer well to one of the community colleges here and I don't want to ask my parents to pay for UAH. But I gotta go back to school ;_;

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I could make it saturday(the 20th) if you guys would like that better.

I don't want to leave either. :[ My credits from GSU probably won't transfer well to one of the community colleges here and I don't want to ask my parents to pay for UAH. But I gotta go back to school ;_;
Well, I wouldn't be able to leave for Huntsville until after 5 on the 20th, but that still seems pretty manageable.

Truth be told, I'm trying to figure out how to get out of Alabama. I'm not doing myself any favors by waiting to leave.

Top Bottom