• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
i'm not taking it personally i'm just frustrated in my naiveness in thinking that the brawl scene would be as dedicated to competitive smash as the melee scene was.
It's not like spaceballs woke up one night and shouted I AM NOW DEDICATED TO THE CAUSE! And started attending melee tournies. People become dedicated over time, and there hasn't been enough time to draw in new blood and get them dedicated. You're shortchanging the players duder :p

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
That is what I am saying. D= Also most people who play Brawl around these parts also play Melee. >_> <_<
I uh...I don't play melee anymore. *cough*

And my name is Bojangles M. People.

Your move, sparky.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
It's not like spaceballs woke up one night and shouted I AM NOW DEDICATED TO THE CAUSE! And started attending melee tournies. People become dedicated over time, and there hasn't been enough time to draw in new blood and get them dedicated. You're shortchanging the players duder :p
I didn't shout it, but yeah it was kinda like that. When I started playing Melee competitively, I was suddenly introduced to all these new concepts, abilities, and tactics to master that built on top of my already favorite game. It was overwhelming in an amazingly fun and exciting way. And every time I though "OK, I've finally made it, I'm finally good" I'd have someone else kick my *** and prove that, no, I still had a long way to come.
Brawl at the moment doesn't do that. People will out-think you, but then you go home and don't really know what to do about it. You just hope you do better next time, there's no drive to overcome your past performance or opponents, there's no ladder to climb, there's nothing to be dedicated to.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I didn't shout it, but yeah it was kinda like that.
ditto.
I'm just as dedicated to getting good and sharing Brawl strategies, its just that no one takes the ****ing game seriously, making that extremely hard.
but unlike spaceballs, I don't think it has anything to do with the game itself. The game is fine, there may not be as many things to do as in melee, but I get better and better at the game as I learn new strategies, and play against good people.

People aren't interested in "getting good" at Brawl. People are "already good" or "not good", and neither groups are doing anything to improve. The very first day I played against Thief in Melee in the first melee tournament I ever went to in tuscaloosa. I said, 'i want to be that good'. (i'm still not but lol) i then I played dml when they came to huntsville and was like no, holy ****, i want to be THAT good. and then i played m2k @ the big ga tournament.....but i conceded that i'll probably never be THAT good :-P
anyway, I just dont see that kind of initial excitement with brawl. I think that the problem is that Brawl tournaments have too much of an intermixing of casuals with competitive players. The competitive scene has been exposed to like ten times more people due to brawl coming out. But most of those people are stubborn casual players. Casual players who think they're amazing at the game, and get discouraged when they get destroyed when they finally decided to enter a tournament, deciding not to come back to any tournaments.

I dont know how to "draw" people. we've had like what 8 tournaments in the bham/tuscaloosa area in the past few months? Two of them had what could be considered a decent turnout. (and in one case, that was because a lot of melee people came). how many does it take to "draw" people. 10? 20? 100?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
OBJECTION!

I'M a casual player who thinks he's amazing at the game!

I'M stubborn as a drunk mule with money.

I also see myself getting better/worse when I play the game, and I put a lot of thought into it when I do play it. But I play it first and foremost for fun and entertainment.

I try not to take it seriously.

(I had the same philosophy toward Melee)

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Brawl at the moment doesn't do that. People will out-think you, but then you go home and don't really know what to do about it. You just hope you do better next time, there's no drive to overcome your past performance or opponents, there's no ladder to climb, there's nothing to be dedicated to.
This, unfortunately.

OBJECTION!

I also see myself getting better/worse when I play the game, and I put a lot of thought into it when I do play it. But I play it first and foremost for fun and entertainment.

I try not to take it seriously.

(I had the same philosophy toward Melee)
That's my attitude in a nutshell. Unfortunately, I've been too disinterested to play since I was over at Riverside a few weeks ago. No particular reason but disinterest.

Also, since this is the "Alabama" thread, I predict that Georgia will once again slip by the Tide this weekend. And I do mean slip, it'll be close. I was leaning towards 'Bama but the Bulldogs have a DT named Geno.

Sensai

Smash Master
The Executive said:
That's my attitude in a nutshell. Unfortunately, I've been too disinterested to play since I was over at Riverside a few weeks ago. No particular reason but disinterest.
This.

Me and Bloshi both. We are just now (this weekend) getting a TV. We both used to play Melee like it was our jobs...and now, not so much. Just a certain lack of caring has overtaken us.

j00t

Smash Champion
This.

Me and Bloshi both. We are just now (this weekend) getting a TV. We both used to play Melee like it was our jobs...and now, not so much. Just a certain lack of caring has overtaken us.
Start caring.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
This.

Buy SMRPG on the VC! (Oh, and Kirby Super Star Ultra)
I've owned the cartridge since '97, so no way in hell am I shelling out for a license to a ROM (but I heartily encourage anyone who doesn't to do so now. NOW. DO IT.).

Kirby SSU, though, THAT I am picking up. Wish I coulda made it to Kirby MS when they had the giant foam Kirby things.

Sensai

Smash Master
I own the original cartridge for both Kirby Super Star and SMRPG...and will definitely be repurchasing them.

Seriously. They're so good that I want to be able to play them regardless of my SNES breaking or something else happening.

And Joot...it's difficult to care. I know this is all /emo and ****, but seriously. Pretty much everyone's switched to Brawl (most tournies have, definitely; most power rankings are, IIRC; etc), which wouldn't be a big deal if people still played Melee...but it seems like Brawl has just become the main focus.

Which, I'm not saying it shouldn't be. It is new and Melee is old and dated. Brawl just isn't my thing.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
OBJECTION!

This describes the overwhelming majority of brawl players. and by the very nature of being unwilling to spend money if you think you're going to lose, its not conducive to any kind of competitive community.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I own the original cartridge for both Kirby Super Star and SMRPG...and will definitely be repurchasing them.

Seriously. They're so good that I want to be able to play them regardless of my SNES breaking or something else happening.

And Joot...it's difficult to care. I know this is all /emo and ****, but seriously. Pretty much everyone's switched to Brawl (most tournies have, definitely; most power rankings are, IIRC; etc), which wouldn't be a big deal if people still played Melee...but it seems like Brawl has just become the main focus.

Which, I'm not saying it shouldn't be. It is new and Melee is old and dated. Brawl just isn't my thing.
in all honesty, melee has a better chance of surviving than Brawl does. and I'm pretty sure Melee's going to come back and take over the scene again. No one takes brawl seriously. people play brawl just because its new, but no ones sharing strategies, holding smashfests, or getting better.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
This, unfortunately.

its not really true. locating your weak points is as much of a skill as exploiting someone elses. a lot of times its a combination of lots of really small things.

i can't speak for anyone else, but when I lose, I can usually pinpoint why I did and what I need to work on. I have very fruitful practice sessions when I play brawl alone and at smashfests. It's how I developed the strats I use.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I will be going to the Bham tourney this Saturday. I have room in my car for up to four stubborn casual players who think they're amazing. I believe Will_ and Pops have dibbs on two of those seats.

Yay for SMRPG. Double yay for Mega Man 9. Tripple yay for Homebrew, which makes 75% of the VC irrelevant.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So...I've been shaking my rust off with Brawl in the last week or two. I'm going to the bonus Waba tournament and taking that. When I actually get some money, I'll cement that park tournament. Promise. <3

AWA was a refreshing experience; I remembered how much I like Smash tournaments, even though items were on and there was a massive pot cut. It was simply playing a game that I really enjoy.

ALSO

I was talking to Gimpyfish, and he discussed a new ruleset with me that I find nicer. Two-stock, best three-out-of-five. The reason being, no other fighting game tends to have five-minute games on average, and that's a major strain on a tournament player; no one can keep full focus for too long. I wonder if that is a major cause of having players simply tired of the game by the end of a tournament. This really opens up counterpick options, and sure helps those watching, because matches are inherently closer and don't take as long per round. Counterpicking has always been speculated to be much more important in Brawl than its predecessors, so I'd like to test it. Sounds intriguing to me.

Try it sometime, and let me know how you like it. I'll probably use it as a standard for my tournament to experiment, too. Feedback is necessary and much appreciated.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
just curious...any of you alabamians going to that impact clash II tourney in atlanta next month?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
just curious...any of you alabamians going to that impact clash II tourney in atlanta next month?
I am. <3

I'm actually going to be there the day before, as well; my older brother wishes to join the Madden Challenge, which is on Friday. I hope that goes well for him.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I am. <3

I'm actually going to be there the day before, as well; my older brother wishes to join the Madden Challenge, which is on Friday. I hope that goes well for him.
wait, the madden challenge is that friday? wish i could go..i couldnt be in atlanta until like midnight at the earliest

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
So...I've been shaking my rust off with Brawl in the last week or two. I'm going to the bonus Waba tournament and taking that. When I actually get some money, I'll cement that park tournament. Promise. <3

AWA was a refreshing experience; I remembered how much I like Smash tournaments, even though items were on and there was a massive pot cut. It was simply playing a game that I really enjoy.

ALSO

I was talking to Gimpyfish, and he discussed a new ruleset with me that I find nicer. Two-stock, best three-out-of-five. The reason being, no other fighting game tends to have five-minute games on average, and that's a major strain on a tournament player; no one can keep full focus for too long. I wonder if that is a major cause of having players simply tired of the game by the end of a tournament. This really opens up counterpick options, and sure helps those watching, because matches are inherently closer and don't take as long per round. Counterpicking has always been speculated to be much more important in Brawl than its predecessors, so I'd like to test it. Sounds intriguing to me.

Try it sometime, and let me know how you like it. I'll probably use it as a standard for my tournament to experiment, too. Feedback is necessary and much appreciated.
Yeah i've watched some of the videos on gimpy's channel using that ruleset. the only problem is that it really benefits whoever gains momentum first each match. like theres little chance of a "comeback" using that set up. but I suppose that's also the case for most other 2d competitive fighters. it does make the matches quicker...and I think people play with more urgency under that set up which may positively affect it from a viewers standpoint. i'd be williing to try it out.

were you guys aware of this?
i guess this means no more crashboards. and maybe some PRO brawl! reflex you can make some Ken money. maybe :-D

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
oh wow, i was wondering why smashboards went to mlgpro.com yesterday when i tried to get on..it was only for like 15 minutes though.

i guess that means MLG is picking up brawl. I cant wait...long as they leave the items out :laugh:

janitor, come with reflex to impact clash II. I always want to see diddy mains live

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
if someone wants to take me to impact clash that's fine lol
speaking of mains. moogle, take rob off my mains and add marth :-D

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
No, not Marth! I don't deserve to have to play Kirby's bad matchups!

I tried the two-stock games out with Poet a while back, he quickly vetoed back to 3 stocks.

Smashboards needs a less subtle difference in color between normal text and links. I can never spot them.

I'm interested in making it to Impact Clash. I haven't really tried at playing Brawl very much recently, but I think I could manage top 5 if I cared enough. I'll go ahead and ask for the 11th off.

-Ran

Smash Master
In case any of you guys want to travel...
External Link:
http://www.gametabs.com/events/2008-10-26/new_orleans_brawl_monthly_1/44/

Please, for the love that is all that is holy, sign up to the above link. I ask this, because the Venue that we are going to is going to waive any/all fees for us to use their building if a sufficient level of users/activity is generated on their site. It's a pretty cool community building setup. You can even run tournaments right off of it. The guys at Dibbz are being INCREDIBLY helpful. Originally the tournament was going to have to shut down at the close of the store [10pm] on Sunday, but they've vowed to stay open as LONG as necessary. Maintaining a good partnership with the owners of Dibbz will ensure us a venue for every future monthly. So PLEASE, PLEASE, Register on the site, and post a comment/intent to join.

The owner is going to attempt to get many fresh bloods to come to the tournament as well, which will increase the pot.

Date:
10/26/08

Dibbz LAN Gaming Center
6850 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie, LA

Time:
Noon till Completion. [Venue closes at 10pm]
Registration closes at 12:30.

Entry Fee:
10 dollars.

Format and Rules:
Singles tournament with Pools to select seeding.
Split: 50/25/15/5/5
No items.
Three Stocks.
Time Limit will be set to seven minutes. Ties determined by percent/stock.
Best two of three.
Bring your own controller.
Advanced slob picks
Stage striking for first pick (players may agree on a stage or random)
Stage bans: each player may ban one stage after stage striking occurs.

Stage List:
Starter:
Lylat, FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's, Delfino, and Castle Siege

Counterpick:
Halberd, Brinstar, PS1, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, PS2, Pictochat, Norfair, and Pirate Ship

Banned:

Everything else.

IMPORTANT INFO TO BE SPECIFIED.
The way we do level striking is, we take turns striking out levels UNTIL ONE is left. So you dont have to worry about ANY ones you dislike.

Pools
In your pools you will only play a person for two matches instead of three. This is done to accelerate the pools. There will be no counter picking or stage striking. Stages will be random neutrals for the sake of speed.

Additional
Anyone who is capable of bringing a Wii/TV will be much appreciated. For a tournament such as this to work effectively, we need to have at least eight TVs. Also, the venue has asked that I use their website to promote the tournament, so please sign up on it. The link is at the top. I'm expecting at least thirty entries.

Given the proximity to Halloween, feel free to wear a costume! We might as well have fun with it. =D

Attendees
1. Ran Iji - TV + Wii.
2. Garret
3. Mankosuki
4. HolyChef
5. Cyphus
6. Nikz0r - Wii + TV
7. Sara/Sachi.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I will be going to the Bham tourney this Saturday. I have room in my car for up to four stubborn casual players who think they're amazing. I believe Will_ and Pops have dibbs on two of those seats.

Yay for SMRPG. Double yay for Mega Man 9. Tripple yay for Homebrew, which makes 75% of the VC irrelevant.
Rock on. Thanks a lot, bro.

I'm kinda used to three stock, and there's a certain feeling of fear/comfort when you/your opponent is on the last stock. It won't stop me from going, though, I'd like to try it out.

Ran Iji's tournament
Let me google map, I know someone in LA that I'd like to fight in person.

EDIT: And yeah, I'm going to Impact Clash II as well.

-Ran

Smash Master
We have people coming from Pensacola. Also, who do you want to play Will_? I'll tell you the chance of them coming.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
He's an unknown, as far as I know. I think he's gone to a local or two under the tag "Kenshuma".

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
We have people coming from Pensacola. Also, who do you want to play Will_? I'll tell you the chance of them coming.
I'm in Tuscaloosa!

Although, I could just hop on the bloody train.

But I won't.

(Law school johns)

Reflex? You're hosting a tourney? When?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
guys i'm thinking of making a brawl 'combo' video featuring alabama's best and brightest smashers. so if you have an awesome sequence recorded somewhere let me know :-D
reflex record some videos

george you wanna team this weekend. or are you teaming with poet/duchock

Sensai

Smash Master
So...Smashboards bought buy MLG, huh? I'm not sure that I'm cool with this.

Given, I don't really frequent the site much anymore so it probably won't make too much of a difference.

j00t

Smash Champion
So...Smashboards bought buy MLG, huh? I'm not sure that I'm cool with this.

Given, I don't really frequent the site much anymore so it probably won't make too much of a difference.
We might be smashing on Saturday. Be there.

Sensai

Smash Master
We might be smashing on Saturday. Be there.
This is the ONE weekend where I can't make it. Seriously.

My car tags expire this month (Sept 08) and since that's about to be over, I have to drive down to Bham to get them reissued. Then, I have to be back up here on Sunday to meet up with my old man.

Seriously. One weekend I can't make it, sorry.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
This is the ONE weekend where I can't make it. Seriously.

My car tags expire this month (Sept 08) and since that's about to be over, I have to drive down to Bham to get them reissued. Then, I have to be back up here on Sunday to meet up with my old man.

Seriously. One weekend I can't make it, sorry.
My tags expire in August. Last year i renewed them in November. I never got caught. I think you could last two more days without renewing your tag. They charge you a tincy bit more, no big deal. COME OVER HERRRRRRRRRE!!!!!

Top Bottom