• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I don't have any objections to the proposed rankings list.

How many panelists would we need? Seems like anything past four would be overkill.

j00t

Smash Champion
j00t's somewhere in this list right!? PfffffHAHA, yeah right, j/k.

We need an update to the Melee PR, I say. :<

Rigor_Mortis

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, had a good time on Thursday. Learned a few things, Bowzercided a few people, and got 3 stocked in melee a lot. It was fun.
My roommate had a good time too. Sorry if we got loud, but we're quite vocal when we smash.

I vote that DanGR changes his handle to CAMPR when he plays Olimar from now on.
Big thanks to Moogle for hosting!

Oh, and Coach, I'm really sorry I kept calling you Rob, I have no idea why I was doing that. :(

3GOD

Smash Ace
Maybe MS should be included in the AL rankings since it seems that we will be traveling to a lot of AL toruneys (and perhaps getting some AL people over to MS once in a while too). Just throwing out there the idea of a Twin States power ranking.

Sensai

Smash Master
I have a confession to make: I think I'm losing interest in Smash and it's Brawl's fault.

I always enjoyed playing Melee and really loved competing with you guys and going to tourney's, etc, but with Brawl...I dunno. Most of the skill seems to have been taken out. Where's the speed? Where's the character balance?

Given, I haven't played as much as you guys have...but there was just something neat the Melee had that Brawl doesn't...

Sadly, it just doesn't interest me when I'm not playing nor does it keep my interest very long when I AM playing. I find myself thinking 'Wow, why aren't I playing Melee?'

Other than that, I think an Alabama Power Ranking or whatever its' called would be a good idea for two reasons: one, it would get people we all know onto the list and two, it would be CURRENT, or at least more current than the mega-outdated other one.

That being said, I still think that we should remain in the other one. It's nice to see where we stack up with the rest of the South.

Also: I'm assuming the PR is going to be Brawl, yes?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I have a confession to make: I think I'm losing interest in Smash and it's Brawl's fault.

I always enjoyed playing Melee and really loved competing with you guys and going to tourney's, etc, but with Brawl...I dunno. Most of the skill seems to have been taken out. Where's the speed? Where's the character balance?

Given, I haven't played as much as you guys have...but there was just something neat the Melee had that Brawl doesn't...

Sadly, it just doesn't interest me when I'm not playing nor does it keep my interest very long when I AM playing. I find myself thinking 'Wow, why aren't I playing Melee?'

Other than that, I think an Alabama Power Ranking or whatever its' called would be a good idea for two reasons: one, it would get people we all know onto the list and two, it would be CURRENT, or at least more current than the mega-outdated other one.

That being said, I still think that we should remain in the other one. It's nice to see where we stack up with the rest of the South.

Also: I'm assuming the PR is going to be Brawl, yes?
it would be nice to have an AL pr list for melee, but there are like 8 total people in the state who play melee competetively as compared to dozens of brawl players

popsofctown

Smash Champion
*sigh* right now i'm hoping that super smash bros 4 is just so totally wicked awesome that we all love it.

Btw, Sensai, the pace on Brawl does go up the more you play it. You should have seen the finals at play n trade in Birmingham. I didn't even know what was happening.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Sensai, come to GA more. We love melee here.

all 8 of us ;-;

and sure, the pace goes up somewhat, but no matter how fast barlw is played, whenever someone who plays barlw sees us play melee, they **** their pants. "I don't even know what's going on, it's so fast." It's still generally slow.

coach

Smash Apprentice
Just because we don't have tournaments, doesn't mean we don't still have it in our hearts. What would you care about a melee tournament anyway? I don't know maybe I would just show up and wouldn't play in it. =|.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Melee is definitely not going to die, and neither is brawl, and that being so; I am quite happy.
i'm still quite interested in improving in melee, and I think I have a lot in the recent months.

and "fast pace" isn't a necessary factor for a game to be enjoyable; anyway sensai, as with any game its never going to ever be fun if you never take it seriously. Most people wrote off Brawl within a week of its release and never gave it a chance since then, which is obviously ********. If you go into it with the mindset "brawl sucks", then obviously you're going to only notice the negative aspects of it (which every video game has) and just dislike it more at the end of the day
we have been to several brawl tournaments and they are quite enjoyable. and we are learning more about the game as time progresses and clear skill gap is forming. matches are going quicker and are becoming more interesting to watch, the same tricks aren't working anymore. I got second place at my tuscaloosa tournament by spot dodge d-smashing with ROB, and i can fully attest that that **** doesn't work anymore. I'm seeing players that actually know what they are doing, actually making use of spacing and mindgames and other tactics, and not just spamming smashes like in the beginning of brawl's tenure. (well some people are doing that, but it's not working anymore) People like reflex and moogle with simple yet effective mindgames and people like proto and george with excellent spacing
personally that's what keeps me playing brawl. I can see the evolution, and its been a constant process. dudes were saying brawl had reached it metagame's peak, or was going to soon, but i think its pretty clear that that isn't true

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
that's slightly less ******** than marth's grab range in melee.
or mewtwo's forward b gimp on battlefield.
or wobbling.
or upthrow to rest at 25% on spacies.
or shine spiking at 5%

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Boo hoo whine whine about brawl.

Now for something completely different.

Do you think it is rad to have alcoholism?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Yeah, combine MS and AL and make a Melee power rankings. And then I could be top 5 since no one plays Melee anymore.

YESSS.

j00t

Smash Champion
that's slightly less ******** than marth's grab range in melee.
or mewtwo's forward b gimp on battlefield.
or wobbling.
or upthrow to rest at 25% on spacies.
or shine spiking at 5%
*EDIT* I said I agreed on point 1, but after looking at the video again, it really isn't. Snake's uptilt is just that ridiculous.
No one plays Mewtwo, and if you fall for that gimp then it isn't his fault :p
Wobbling takes some skill to use.
If you DI the upthrow, it doesn't work.
It's somewhat easy to avoid shinespiking. Somewhat.

saintrage

Smash Cadet

Forget Brawl. I hate it.
Ya, any game where i can't combo the **** out of noobs suks ;) If brawl had like a few 2 to 3 hit combos besides u-tilt with like nearly every character, i'd be happy.

Watching M2K and reflex almost makes me want to play, but i just don't really feel like putting in the time to learn how to get 1 hit in every mind game i have to do. I'd rather play Melee and RTS's for more of a challenge.

Any way, thanks for playing me today Moogle and Coach. I'm gonna bother you about that tournament now ;) Make sure you tell me when it is before Aug. 16 so i can ask off work.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I talk a lot. But forget that. So many highlights.

Video 2: ~0:26 in. Will: "Hehe, Joot called him meatknight." Epic lava and me failing at 3:47. Everything before is trashy me being bad at metaknight; don't watch it.
Video 3: ~0:30 in. Watch Ness for a downthrow... stage spike?
Video 4: ~3:57 in. Watch Kirby for an up throw clap-trap combo? And another clap trap at 4:46 just for kicks.

Gamebox on the 9th. Probably will be the last one I go to for a while, so everyone should show up and shower each other in love.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
That was a great set. So much fun.

As for the seemingly irreparable video file, VirtualDub usually does a good job repairing broken video files, but I don't know what video format your camera records in, so it might not even be able to be opened in Vdub.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
*EDIT* I said I agreed on point 1, but after looking at the video again, it really isn't. Snake's uptilt is just that ridiculous.
No one plays Mewtwo, and if you fall for that gimp then it isn't his fault :p
Wobbling takes some skill to use.
If you DI the upthrow, it doesn't work.
It's somewhat easy to avoid shinespiking. Somewhat.
marth's grab range is about the same range as that uptilt, and grabs outprioritize attacks, counter shields, and set up combos. its much worse.

and tapping A over and over TOTALLY takes loads of skill, yes you're right.

if you consistently get hit by snakes uptilt, you don't understand how to fight snake

it's somewhat easy to avoid snakes uptilt too. learn the spacing. or, theres this thing called a shield that works pretty well too.

the point is both games (and all games) have crazy stuff like that

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
and tapping A over and over TOTALLY takes loads of skill, yes you're right.
lol barlw

Alabama, come to TO3. it's 2 days from my birthday. You guys can be my presents!

Also, ugh, m2k vs reflex was only able to capture my interest because it was LUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSS and because of the commentary. It's like watching hungrybox fight himself, minus rests.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Dude, poker is like playing brawl, with items set to low, two stocks, and golden hammers on. Maybe you can win based on skills somehow but good luck and hope you have a projectile weapon. (no, i wasn't breaking from analogy)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Dude, poker is like playing brawl, with items set to low, two stocks, and golden hammers on. Maybe you can win based on skills somehow but good luck and hope you have a projectile weapon. (no, i wasn't breaking from analogy)

omfg
I just went allin with AA again, and got called by a 22
and the flop was 223

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
there's always about a 1 in 7 chance you'll lose on AA for a one on one. Going all-in preflop is risky, most of the time you'll win with AA, but when you lose, you are all-in, after all.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah i'm just bored, doing 10 cent buy in tournaments on poker stars, if I win i get 8 bucks which is nice. I keep getting like 13th and winning like 40 cents, either that or getting bad beats and busting out

i just went all in with KTo and won the pot :-P

Will_

Smash Journeyman
VirtualDub, huh? Thanks I'll try it out.

And I'll see about making the Gamebox tournament.

moogle

Smash Ace
First page is updated. I forced a bunch of you onto the player list on the first page: HsV.BOSS, popsofctown, Will_, Pr0t0, Phantom. Let me know if you want something changed or just don't want to be there... or if I forgot about you. :x DracoFox, I put you in the Melee section.. let me know if you want to be associated with Brawl. :p Also, I updated the future tournaments thing... let me know if I forgot some tourneys.

Lastly, both my roommates are gonna be out of town for many days. So.... if any of you want to come over and play Brawl or Melee at almost any time, I should be up for it.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
When you can moogle change my characters please.

DK, Toon Link, Fox, Ike, Marth..... Yoshi.

Yeah, thats right. Yoshi.

Need to waste more time online....
Thanks in advance.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Oh, Moogle, I would have forgotten to mention this had it not been for you commenting on updating the first post, but you should swap Yoshi out for Shiek next to my name. :3

Top Bottom