• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama is OK at Smash1! - Melee - Tuscaloosa, AL - March 28th

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
~StupiD name. Check.
~Middle of the South. Check.
~Melee. Check.

This is in the same venue as Theif and theONEjanitor's tournaments in Tuscaloosa have been. That being said, I think it could sustain ~32+ people for singles pools.
We've never had any big tournaments in AL, and I don't really expect to, ever. We just recently had a brawl tournament here at UA, hosted by theONEjanitor, and got around ~35 singles entrants. Surprising considering it was the same weekend as CoT4. Even more surprising, it finished, despite the slow Brawl matches.

its Riverside Community Center on the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa.
the address is 706 Riverside Lane, tuscaloosa, al, 35401
but i dont think that address shows up on googlemaps or mapquest.

Rose Towers which is across the street, is on google which is 140 Hackberry Lane

go I-20 West if your coming from/through GA/B'ham, or I-20 East if you're coming from/through Mississppi. and get off on Exit 73/Mcfarland Blvd--turn right (if you're coming from b'ham---left if you're coming from Mississippi) onto Mcfarland, and go straight for a mile or two, until you reach the Jack Warner Pkwy Exit. (you will pass the University Blvd and Campus Dr. exits)...the Jack Warner exit is a deep curve that splits into two, you want to take the curve on the right-hand side...then you will be at the upper-right hand area of the map I've provided above. Follow the purple line. Turn onto hackberry lane, it is at a stop light.. After that take the first left, you will see Rose Towers to your left (building 204 on the map). Riverside is to your right...and the building the tournament is being held at (the yellow dot with the black X/building 141) is behind the building that you initially see on the right when you turn in. The purple circles are the ideal parking places.

I can't really count on many locals attending, as so many of them are stuck in the mindset that Melee is somehow an inferior, archaic game, but hopefully we'll still be able to get a decent amount of players.

Rules are the basic tournament set ones, you should know them by now...but the tourny setup will depend on how many people attend:

If the number of players is greater than 32 (p>32),
pools will be done swiss style, meaning you'll get 5 matches, always playing someone with the same record as yourself.

If the number of players is less than 32(p<32),
pools will be normal in groups of 5-6.

Doubles will only be $10, five dollars for each person.

Singles will $10.

Come if you like, bring setups, ect. Thanks.
- anomaly

General Rules
Items are set to off
The stock is set to 4
Stock is 8 minute timed
All sets are best of 3 matches
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose the stage they last won on
Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Dream Land: Green Greens
DK Island: Jungle Japes
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Banned Stage List
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle *
Mushroom Kingdom II *
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom I
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Additional Rules for Double's Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON
Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List

UPDATES
anomaly said:
Bad news. Well, bad news for me. I can't come because of a prior obligation I already paid for that morning... so this tournament well now be managed by CHEAP PEACH, my brother, along with the help of hopefully Janitor or one of my other friends coming to this. I had thought about canceling this or rescheduling, but so many people already seemed interested/committed and the venue's already reserved, so we'll still keep this thing going anyway.
very optimistic schedule said:
12:00 pm -- Registration for Doubles BEGINS
1:00 pm -- Registration for Doubles ENDS -- Tournament will now promptly start
~2:45 pm -- Pools should be finished -- Break for lunch until 3:30
~3:45 pm -- Brackets Round 1
~4:05 pm -- Brackets Round 2 -- Singles Registration Begins
~4:25 pm -- Brackets Round 3
~4:45 pm -- Brackets Round 4 -- Singles Pools starts
~5:10 pm -- Brackets Round 5, if it exists
~5:30 pm -- Brackets Round 6, if it exists
~6:00 pm -- Pools over -- Break for Dinner until 7:00
~7:15 pm -- Brackets Round 1 - after 32 left
~7:45 pm -- Brackets Round 2 - after 24 left
~8:15 pm -- Brackets Round 3 - after 16 left
~8:45 pm -- Brackets Round 4 - after 12 left
~9:15 pm -- Brackets Round 5 - after 8 left
~9:45 pm -- Brackets Round 6 - after 4 left
~10:15 pm -- Brackets Round 7- after 2 left
We have it until midnight, so as long as we get a decent amount of set-ups this overly optimistic schedule shouldn't get pushed back that far
set-ups said:
anomaly - 2 gc's, 2 tv's, 2 melee's
attending said:
CheapPeach
Kosine
paladin
moogle
mslano
theONEjanitor
JWT2k6
Sensai (possibly with Bloshi)
Duchock
JMOAN
KOkingpin
SleepyK
-Chad-
NES n00b
Tomato Cat
Will_
interested said:
NES N00B
George THPS
Ragnarok
Aurorazoni
The ALPHA GUndam
Jx31
ihavespaceballs
rice
Majist
Rigoris_Mortis
Zone
Hardorin
Boomstick

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
I can't find people willing to admit they play smash at my school. So advertising there won't do. =/
Anyway with a bit of time, people will see it/join it. xD It's still a good month away.

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully more people can figure out if they'll make it or not. Please voice your opinion if you'd like to make suggestions about the setup, like how I'm doing pools, doubles prices, ect..

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I will inform a few friends of mine about this, but I will not be entering.

If there is a low-tier brawl side tourney or a brawl team tourney, I'll show up.

I can't find people willing to admit they play smash at my school. So advertising there won't do. =/
Anyway with a bit of time, people will see it/join it. xD It's still a good month away.
You'd be surprised. Try advertising. I found one smasher in Tuscaloosa because he overheard me talking about fighting against Samus on the phone while I was leaving the rec center.

reimeii

Smash Apprentice
i would join but there is a problem
i cant play melee.......i tried going back to my old main (pikachu), one week ruined my brawl pikachu...and mewtwo is just FAIL in my hands

if by some chance that i can consider myself more than just a bye for whoever is fortunate enough to face me, then i will show up

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I'll come to this(maybe), but thien my money should be ok, and rice i might try to come see you guys this weekend.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I would come, but I'm going to the next Gigs to win some money in Brawl. Too bad for you.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It seems like I'm better at Melee now after not having played a decent character for a while.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
it seems like I'm better at melee now after not having played it for a while lol
That's how i am with Brawl. i never play it and i've improved immensely. i think it's cuz i just don't give a crap anymore haha. that's why i sold my wii and will never play Brawl outside of tournies. i'm gonna place higher in the next one!!

I'm terrible at Melee now:(

mslano

Smash Journeyman
Turns out that I will be having my spring break in Hoover, so I will attend this tournament.

To all the people making excuses: Stop with the self-pity, get some practice in, and show up to this thing!
If I'm making it from all the way in Chicago, there's really no good reason for any of you not to come. Plus, now that my attendance is confirmed, there is an additional good reason for all to show up!

j00t

Smash Champion
Turns out that I will be having my spring break in Hoover, so I will attend this tournament.

To all the people making excuses: Stop with the self-pity, get some practice in, and show up to this thing!
If I'm making it from all the way in Chicago, there's really no good reason for any of you not to come. Plus, now that my attendance is confirmed, there is an additional good reason for all to show up!
I'm not coming anymore. :p

j/k

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
playing brawl is the only reason I've gotten better at melee, since brawl forces you to focus on things like momentum and spacing, which are the truly important things in fighting games. its easy to get bogged down with techs and combos in melee

mslano

Smash Journeyman
playing brawl is the only reason I've gotten better at melee, since brawl forces you to focus on things like momentum and spacing, which are the truly important things in fighting games. its easy to get bogged down with techs and combos in melee
Or you play Ganondorf and worry not about such piddling details as combos or tech skill.

Sensai

Smash Master
Or you play Ganondorf and worry not about such piddling details as combos or tech skill.
Absolutely correct.

Who needs tech skill when you've got The Stomp?

(Also, I'll most likely be attending this. Bloshi might come with me.)

j00t

Smash Champion
Absolutely correct.

Who needs tech skill when you've got The Stomp?

(Also, I'll most likely be attending this. Bloshi might come with me.)
Sweet Buttery Jesus, thank you! Can't wait to see you guys again.

mslano

Smash Journeyman
It's good to see people coming to their senses and planning to attend this thing.

Top Bottom