• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A talk with MLG_JV

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
People with multiple colours available can choose which they want active.

I'll forward JV this information about the EULA, but I'm unsure if it'll make a difference. I think a large portion is just about being associated with these activities.
Basically.

Regardless of loopholes and what not. Its a guilty by association.

Also, leafgreen, by Network Service, does that mean online as well? Since Brawl's online does use nintendo's servers...albeit barely.

kupo15

Smash Hero
kupo15
kupo15

kupo15
kupo15
kupo15
kupo15

I'm loving these pale colors. My vote would be for the green or the one below the green

Ulevo

Smash Master

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
GHNeko: that can be answered by looking at how these three terms interact with each other (particularly the first and third).
"Wii Network Service" means the service whereby we can distribute Content, messages (including commercial and non-commercial messages) and other data to your Wii Console, or link you to an Internet site, and whereby you can send and receive Content, messages (including commercial and non-commercial messages), and other data, including Third-Party Data, using your Wii Console. The "Wii Network Service" includes, but is not limited to, the Wii Shop.
"Content" means the software, services, material and other data which we own or have the right to use, distribute or sublicense, and which we send to, or make available as a download through, the Wii Console or the Wii Network Service.
"Third-Party Data" means Content or other software, services, material, messages (including commercial and non-commercial messages), links to Internet sites, and other data either created by, or sent to, your Wii Console through the Wii Network Service by any non-Nintendo entity or person (including you).
How loosely do you want to interpret this? An extremely loose interpretation might allow it. Maybe. "Third-Party Data" actually uses the "Wii Network Service" as part of its definition, and I'm pretty sure that the data used online is not defined as "Content," being simply button presses and user-created content (thus not fitting the strict definition of Content provided in the document), so this rests most of the burden on the definition of the "Wii Network Service."

Unfortunately, you are sending and receiving "other data" using your Wii Console. It's a catch-all phrase, and by the other terms surrounding it, one can infer that it includes online play of games. The Wii Network Service appears to encompass all data either sent or received by your Wii through the internet.

Also, if you wanted to use WiiConnect24 as a measure of if something counted as being Wii Network Service or not... It mentions internet sites in there, and the internet channel is accessible even when WiiConnect24 is off. So just because online doesn't require WiiConnect24, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a part of the Wii Network Service.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Intelligent posts, respectful attitude towards the community, active tester, adult like behavior, etc etc. Your best bet is to not think about it so much. As lame as it sounds, be yourself. Post how you feel and why you feel that way. People notice when you are truthful and spitting BS to impress them.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Hey... doesn't this mean playing Brawl+ online is illegal? Well, I was gonna try out Brawl+ tomorrow, but I suppose I can't anymore... sorry guys, it's my dad's Wii, and illegal isn't an option. Giving up my online rights doesn't seem fun...

GPDP

Smash Ace
Hey... doesn't this mean playing Brawl+ online is illegal? Well, I was gonna try out Brawl+ tomorrow, but I suppose I can't anymore... sorry guys, it's my dad's Wii, and illegal isn't an option. Giving up my online rights doesn't seem fun...
What? No, it isn't. You're not gonna get sued or anything. You worry too much.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Okay, make this clear for me: What exactly am I losing and what can I not do with Brawl+? (By the way, you guys should remake the Subspace levels. No wait. Allow training mode to have stocks)

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Okay, make this clear for me: What exactly am I losing and what can I not do with Brawl+? (By the way, you guys should remake the Subspace levels. No wait. Allow training mode to have stocks)
WiiConnect 24. If you have it turned on for you Wii you'll need to turn it off, otherwise Nintendo can supposedly stealth delete you Homebrew channel. Playing Brawl+ won't get you in any legal trouble if that is your question.

GPDP

Smash Ace
You're not losing anything. You're technically voiding your Wii's warranty, but Nintendo's never gonna find out in all likelihood. If the Wii needs to be sent in for whatever reason, you can just delete the homebrew channel, and they most likely will never notice. Hell, some people have even sent in the Wii, HBC installed and all, and got it back like nothing was wrong.

This entire discussion is just about SWF not wanting to associate itself with any potentially troublesome activities in the eyes of Nintendo. You, however, are pretty much safe from anything.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I don't advocate illegal activity, and hopefully neither do the majority of brawl+ers on this topic. The homebrew channel violates the EULA set forth by nintendo for the use of the wii network service (and as mentioned, voids your warranty). That is all that it does. If you are caught using the wii network service with homebrew installed on your wii, then nintendo will restrict your access to the wii network service, and that's the end of it. Nintendo cannot sue you for damages, as they have incurred none if you have used homebrew within otherwise legal limits. Basically, don't use the wad installer or backup loader applications, and just stick to geckoOS, and you won't need to worry about infringing on any intellectual property rights. Turn off WiiConnect24 if you have not done so, already, since that is not only the primary source of the wii network service, but it is also really the only way they will be able to detect homebrew on your console. I sent you a PM with more details.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Though, if you have System Menu 3.2. Will they still be able to regardless?

This question might be treading thin ice according to the rules, so if I dont get an answer, I understand.

Revven

FrankerZ
Though, if you have System Menu 3.2. Will they still be able to regardless?

This question might be treading thin ice according to the rules, so if I dont get an answer, I understand.
No, Nintendo can't do **** if you're on older firmware. In fact, there's even a modified Gecko OS that allows you to play new games without needing their IOS installations, it's pretty sweet (i.e Mad World, won't work on regular Gecko OS but on the modified cIOS version it will). If you never agree to the new Terms of Service or even update to 3.4, Nintendo can't do **** to your Wii.

Also, there haven't been any solid reports of Nintendo removing the HBC off of Wiis that have update 3.4. It's just a precaution we all must have if you are on 3.4, that is why it is better to have WC24 off while in 3.4. You COULD turn it on whenever you needed to use it and then turn it back off again as well.

Revven

FrankerZ
OH **** yea. Spectacular.

Am I affected by the New EULA with 3.2? Or is it exclusive to higher firmware?
It's exclusive to higher firmware I believe. Once you update, you accept the TOS, if you never update, you never accept the TOS (except the old TOS, which allows you WC24). So, in other words, you are not affected.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
The colors would be for the backroomers, AKA the Plussery -- same as melee, vBrawl, etc.

No idea when, though.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Ya know...blood red color wouldn't be bad =D

But leaf, you have made a very interesting find but seeing as how Nintendo likes to be *******s and MLG doesn't want to take the risks, be glad that we at LEAST have a Back Room and a stable environment to nurture the production of Brawl+

Hmmm....how about white color?

MuBa

MuBa

MuBa

MuBa

MuBa

MuBa

MuBa

MuBa

MuBa

MuBa

MuBa

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
We should at least give Makkun a chance to edit his thread... rather than have someone else make a new one.
Thank you. Also if it's possible, I would be happy to change my thread.

As Leafgreen said earlier, you do not have to agree to the new terms of service. Nintendo will simply just not allow you to upgrade your Wii. In order for my current thread to be completely legal, I could just simply remove anything pertaining to the hacking of Wii Menu 3.4. Granted, most people HAVE 3.4, but they can find a guide elsewhere. My guide could still be "used" for the same purpose, technically, but I would not provide the files necessary for hacking 3.4 specifically.

Edit: Also, was my thread deleted or just closed/hidden? I put a lot of work into that... I hope it isn't gone forever.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
What would the custom title be for B+ broomers?

If i can, I'd like to recommend either "Brawl+ Elitist" with a light purple title or "Veteran (or other similar adjective) Plusser" with silver

EDIT@Muba: White seems too inconspicuous - i like silver the most but the red looked good too (unfortunately, that colour's taken by the mods)

cman

Smash Ace
They should make a color for all brawl+ players, and then maybe make a brighter or darker one for b+roomers, as a way to let the general community know that it is catching on.

dabridge

Smash Journeyman
Well, I hope GeckoOS 2 gets done soon/if at all. Not having the 256 line limit would be so awesome(if it happens).

Top Bottom