• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
It's not over yet.
Yes, it's awesome that Waluigi is consistently making appearances in the Mario Spin-offs, but I have accumulated over 3000 hours of gameplay on Smash Ultimate.
God I wish I could put that many hours into it, but I just can’t bring myself to play it for very long without feeling depressed because Waluigi was left out...

And I absolutely believe that Waluigi is still in this, I'll go ahead and say it, Waluigi chances of becoming DLC is 100%. I ****ing called Min Min being a Smash character before the Smash Ultimate teaser on March 2018, and I can just picture Waluigi as the last character on the css.
Well I hope you’re right again, haha.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Honestly Kazuya being revealed alone only raised my hopes for Waluigi. It makes sense that they would reveal Kazuya separate from him as for both reveals to have more impact. That, and I guess if I were Sakurai, I would want to save the last reveal for its own thing so it can have all the spotlight, especially if it were someone like Wah with a huge following in both the casual and hardcore Smash scenes-and even among non-Smash players.
That, or Waluigi is just taking longer to develop. Someone like Kazuya has much more source material to base a moveset on than Waluigi.
You actually have a point. Waluigi would definitely steal the show if he was revealed, everyone would be talking about him and would forget about the Tekken character. I also think the last character just wasn’t ready to be shown off because it’s only been four months.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
So our big points of speculation leading into the final roster slot are:
-Para leak saying Waluigi is last
-Last character likely first party
-Red shell hat will be the only missing game-specific Mii item still missing
-2 big releases involving Waluigi happening in the near future; Mario golf in late June, and Mario party in October. Makes Waluigi a good promotional pick, which is big because Nintendo’s first party DLC picks are normally promotional AND these 2 new games will give Waluigi plenty of fresh options for spirit board, music, stage, etc
-Reggie acknowledged our fanbase after E3 years ago and said Mr Sakurai would be aware of the demand for Waluigi
-Various new Waluigi merch products
-Legacy XP takedown seemed to deal with Geno or Waluigi, and Geno appears to be out of the running for DLC

Did I miss anything big? I know there’s all the instances of Nintendo tweeting about Waluigi and what not but did I forget anything that directly or indirectly pertains to smash or smash DLC? Honestly when you lay out the speculation and evidence like this it seems clear that Waluigi has a lot going for him and I really do think he will be the last character.

edit- added Waluigi merch bullet point, added legacy XP takedown

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So our big points of speculation leading into the final roster slot are:
-Para leak saying Waluigi is last
-Last character likely first party
-Red shell hat will be the only missing game-specific Mii item still missing
-2 big releases involving Waluigi happening in the near future; Mario golf in late June, and Mario party in October. Makes Waluigi a good promotional pick, which is big because Nintendo’s first party DLC picks are normally promotional
-Reggie acknowledged our fanbase after E3 years ago and said Mr Sakurai would be aware of the demand for Waluigi

Did I miss anything big? I know there’s all the instances of Nintendo tweeting about Waluigi and what not but anything that directly or indirectly pertains to smash or smash DLC? Honestly when you lay out the speculation and evidence like this it seems clear that Waluigi has a lot going for him and I really do think he will be the last character.
You're missing poster theory and the Legacy XP takedown, but that's about it I believe.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This definitely shouldn't be added to the list of evidence, but something just feels right. There's something in the air that makes me 100% confident that Waluigi will be the last character in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Karen6969 Karen6969 What makes the last character likely first party?
So far pass 1 ended on a 1st party, and SSB4 ended with both a 1st and and 3rd party at the same time; it seems to me like they prefer to end things with one of their own characters or a mix of a 1st party and 3rd party (Ken and incineroar for base game is another example). Another reason, though a bit more complicated, is that so far for ultimate they tend to reveal 3rd parties at big events, and 1st parties in their own directs, the only exception to this is Terry.

Joker- game awards
Hero- E3
Banjo- E3
Terry- direct
Byleth- direct
Min min- stand-alone presentation/mini reveal direct thing
Steve- smash direct/mr Sakurai presents, BUT it was on the same day as Minecon so clearly this was intentional and I’d put it in the same category as E3/game awards style reveals.
Sephiroth- game awards
Pyra/mythra- direct
Kazuya- E3
CP11- don’t know yet, but probably in the fall which means it will likely be a Nintendo direct, which typically means a 1st party reveal.

And if you think about it this makes sense- “getting into” smash has become a huge deal for these 3rd party companies/characters. I’m sure that in the negotiations for these characters to get in the 3rd party companies lobby for their character to be revealed at a big event and not just a Nintendo direct- they want their character to be revealed before a large audience with a variety of fans, rather than a Nintendo specific direct where many fans watching may not know or care who their character is.

Obviously nothing concrete but I feel like these few patterns point towards CP11 being first party. That and the last Mii item being the red koopa shell hat. They wouldn’t release that alongside a 3rd party character. Assuming they plan on bringing it back like the other Mii items, this would also point to first party.

edit- if you want to take it even further, not only do they typically end on a Nintendo character, they also start DLC cycles with one. SSB4- start with Mewtwo end with corrin (and a 3rd party, Bayo). Pass 1 era- start with plant (bonus) end with Byleth. Pass 2- start with min min, end with ???

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Last pattern that I’ll point out that bodes well for Waluigi is more or less they tend to alternate reveals in terms of where characters are popular, ie in Japan vs in the west. The past 3 reveals have been characters that are largely more popular in Japan- Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra, and now Kazuya. I’d expect a hugely popular western pick to be CP11.

Last edited:

BonkeyKong

Banned via Warnings
So far pass 1 ended on a 1st party, and SSB4 ended with both a 1st and and 3rd party at the same time; it seems to me like they prefer to end things with one of their own characters or a mix of a 1st party and 3rd party (Ken and incineroar for base game is another example). Another reason, though a bit more complicated, is that so far for ultimate they tend to reveal 3rd parties at big events, and 1st parties in their own directs, the only exception to this is Terry.

Joker- game awards
Hero- E3
Banjo- E3
Terry- direct
Byleth- direct
Min min- stand-alone presentation/mini reveal direct thing
Steve- smash direct/mr Sakurai presents, BUT it was on the same day as Minecon so clearly this was intentional and I’d put it in the same category as E3/game awards style reveals.
Sephiroth- game awards
Pyra/mythra- direct
Kazuya- E3
CP11- don’t know yet, but probably in the fall which means it will likely be a Nintendo direct, which typically means a 1st party reveal.

And if you think about it this makes sense- “getting into” smash has become a huge deal for these 3rd party companies/characters. I’m sure that in the negotiations for these characters to get in the 3rd party companies lobby for their character to be revealed at a big event and not just a Nintendo direct- they want their character to be revealed before a large audience with a variety of fans, rather than a Nintendo specific direct where many fans watching may not know or care who their character is.

Obviously nothing concrete but I feel like these few patterns point towards CP11 being first party. That and the last Mii item being the red koopa shell hat. They wouldn’t release that alongside a 3rd party character. Assuming they plan on bringing it back like the other Mii items, this would also point to first party.

edit- if you want to take it even further, not only do they typically end on a Nintendo character, they also start DLC cycles with one. SSB4- start with Mewtwo end with corrin (and a 3rd party, Bayo). Pass 1 era- start with plant (bonus) end with Byleth. Pass 2- start with min min, end with ???
Last pattern that I’ll point out that bodes well for Waluigi is more or less they tend to alternate reveals in terms of where characters are popular, ie in Japan vs in the west. The past 3 reveals have been characters that are largely more popular in Japan in Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra, and now Kazuya. I’d expect a hugely popular western pick to be CP11.
Also this sums up my thoughts really well. In summary I’d just say that it seems like a decent chance that CP11 will be a popular western character, a first party character, or both.

papagenos papagenos I know you speculate on smash stuff all the time, not sure if you’re ever on here, but do you have any thoughts on these theories/patterns, not necessarily in terms of Waluigi speculation but CP11 (and maybe bonus) speculation as a whole?

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Karen6969 Karen6969 You have a point, but I just remembered that 2018 E3 had two first party reveals (Ridley and Daisy). Although that might be because they didn’t really have any new third party characters apart from Ken.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Karen6969 Karen6969 You have a point, but I just remembered that 2018 E3 had two first party reveals (Ridley and Daisy). Although that might be because they didn’t really have any new third party characters apart from Ken.
For base game I’m not sure how much the type of presentation matters, the pattern is mainly for DLC. I think base roster is different since those reveals were part of general smash ultimate presentations and not necessarily presentations centered around revealing a specific character. But yeah still an important counterpoint to keep in mind

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

Well it's simply different for base game, because you're promoting a whole game rather than a specific character.

I absolutely love that Kazuya is in Smash, but I can't say the same for the others in this thread.
If Kazuya was base game alongside Waluigi then it wouldn't be a problem since they'd be in the same package which is the base game, it's different for DLC because you have to be careful not to overshadow one DLC fighter with another.

I don't know why Nintendo decided to reveal both Hero and Banjo in the same Direct, but I remember how Banjo took the spotlight from Hero, mainly western fans but still.

My current ranking for the DLC fighters:
1- Kazuya
2- Terry
3- Hero
4- Sephiroth
5- Min Min
6- Byleth
7- Piranha Plant
8- Steve
9- Pyra/Mythra
10- Banjo&Kazooie
11- Joker
12- ???????

I just know that if Waluigi makes the cut, he'll be my number 1 favorite DLC fighter.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
For base game I’m not sure how much the type of presentation matters, the pattern is mainly for DLC. I think base roster is different since those reveals were part of general smash ultimate presentations and not necessarily presentations centered around revealing a specific character. But yeah still an important counterpoint to keep in mind

Basically only these 4 points are good

-Red shell hat being the one missing costume
-Reggie acknowledging the demand
-Waluigi merch
-Legacy XP takedown.

The rest are kind of meaningless points. Waluigi appears in every spinoff, there's no way paraleak could still be right..

I want Waluigi and think he's likely but we shouldn't take leaks that are years old and spinoff appearances as evidence, that just makes us seem desperate

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

-Waluigi merch
-Legacy XP takedown.

The rest are kind of meaningless points. Waluigi appears in every spinoff, there's no way paraleak could still be right..

I want Waluigi and think he's likely but we shouldn't take leaks that are years old and spinoff appearances as evidence, that just makes us seem desperate
I don't care if people think of me as desperate, the fact of the matter is Waluigi isn't just some no name character or from a dying series.

Waluigi isn't 3rd party or Indie, he's a 1st party character from the biggest franchise in gaming, he makes appearances in his own series yearly, yet he's denied playable status in Smash Bros., a game all about frantic multiplayer action party, which he is a perfect fit.

Let the people think what they want, that didn't stop me from speculating about Fighters Pass 2 the minute Fighters Pass 1 was announced, and they called me delusional for saying that.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
It's not over yet.
Yes, it's awesome that Waluigi is consistently making appearances in the Mario Spin-offs, but I have accumulated over 3000 hours of gameplay on Smash Ultimate.
It's my favorite game, and Smash is my absolute favorite series, so I really do need and want Waluigi in the game, he's been a big part of my childhood playing games like Mario Party 3 on N64 and Mario Kart Double Dash on GCN.
I'm grateful for Sakurai and the development team for their continued support on this game, and I don't even hate any character.
I bought both Fighters Pass 1 and 2, and I loved every addition so far.
And I absolutely believe that Waluigi is still in this, I'll go ahead and say it, Waluigi chances of becoming DLC is 100%. I ****ing called Min Min being a Smash character before the Smash Ultimate teaser on March 2018, and I can just picture Waluigi as the last character on the css.

There's still Mario Party Superstars releasing on October 29th, that game has 5 boards from the N64 games, which means "Waluigi's Island" is a potential candidate for the game, they've confirmed 3 boards already:
Birthday Cake from Mario Party 1
Space Land from Mario Party 2
Woody Woods from Mario Party 3
I personally would prefer the last two be:
Horror Land from Mario Party 2
Waluigi's Island from Mario Party 3

There's still the missing Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirits.
And also the fact that we've got Min Min and Pyra/Mythra as 1st party DLC Fighters, while Waluigi is still missing when he has a lot going for him, he already has his own model in game (Which will shorten and ease the development process on him) and he's super recognizable and wanted for Smash.

I'm telling you, Waluigi is the last fighter.
I also want Waluigi's Island and Horror Land to be the last two boards but I think that since we already have a forest as a board (Woody Woods), they probably want to go with something else so every boards would be different so I don't think we are going to get Horror Land (let's hope that they will add more boards through updates/DLCs though)
We might get Waluigi's Island and Mario's Rainbow Castle because of how unique these boards are, it would be a shame that we might get only one board from MP2 though because they are great! I love Horror Land, Space Land and Western Land the most!
Anyway it's very possible that WI and MRC might be the last two boards, maybe it's kinda biased because I love these two boards but it makes sense because they probably want each boards to be unique

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman

-Waluigi merch
-Legacy XP takedown.

Well, I wasn’t saying that him appearing in Mario Golf/Mario Party makes him more likely. It is more of the fact that the release dates of those games being staggered around a potential reveal would make it plausible for said revealed character to be from those games and promote those games. I think Waluigi is deserving on his own but let’s face it DLC wise Nintendo’s first party picks are shill promotional picks for their own games; making the argument that Waluigi can be a promotional pick is an important point to make because I believe it really helps his chances if they can add him not just for fan demand but also as a promotional pick.

I’m not sure why the paraleak couldn’t still be right, no new information has come out to disprove it and it got multiple things right that couldn’t have just been lucky guesses. Don’t forget that back when Vergeben had sources he leaked Steve (and I think Sephiroth maybe?) and this was like 2 years before it ended up becoming true. Sometimes these people get info and misinterpret parts of it or plans change or whatever. It’s definitely plausible that he truly heard Waluigi is last and assumed it was FP1 when it was actually for FP2- they hadn’t announced FP2 yet.

Last edited:

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
From the speculation I've been paying attention to the past few days it seems like a lot of people are starting to realize that Waluigi's chances are pretty decent. Lots of people just have the gut feeling that he's going to happen, and on this thread we feel the same and have the speculation to back it up. I feel like people have finally realized that fan rules literally don't matter, speculating the same 3-4 big name characters NEVER works (Master chief, crash, rayman, etc), and Waluigi being last just makes so much sense. Nothing would be more perfect as an ending to Ultimate than finally revealing Waluigi for the game, displaying the banner with him in it, then cutting to a black screen where "Everyone is here" appears on the screen for one last time.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I saw some people saying that Waluigi could be the last character of FP2 when it was announced and now, we are months away to get the last character and more and more people are thinking that it could actually be him. I think it makes sense that it would be him so I'm pretty confident for now. And since we probably won't get any announcement until october/november, I think that we won't learn anything during this summer so speculation can be paused for now (expect for those who keep on speculating on the same characters such as Master Chief, Doomslayer, Sora, Crash, Rayman...)

As for the Mario Party Superstars boards, my final predictions are : Western or Pirate Land from MP2 and Waluigi's Island or Creepy Cavern from MP3 and then, Eternal Star will be a secret board to unlock after you completed all other boards or if you collected 100 stars during the game. That way, we will have 6 boards and all 3 games will have 2 boards each.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I think Waluigi's Island would be an easy choice for one of the last boards in Mario Party Superstars since the gate mechanic is already there and they wouldn't have to program as many new things as they would if they chose Horror Land.

Personally I think we could get both of them though, either through updates or base game. Waluigi's Island probably has a much higher chance of base game since it's less work though.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Something I was just thinking about, The Heihachi Mii Costume came out with a different unrelated fighter pack rather than being saved to be revealed alongside the release of Kazuya.

I wonder if that means the red shell hat may not be revealed alongside a Mario character (specifically Waluigi) or even the Lloyd Mii Costume being released alongside Kazuya

:(

I'm hoping that's not the case but still

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Something I was just thinking about, The Heihachi Mii Costume came out with a different unrelated fighter pack rather than being saved to be revealed alongside the release of Kazuya.

I wonder if that means the red shell hat may not be revealed alongside a Mario character (specifically Waluigi) or even the Lloyd Mii Costume being released alongside Kazuya

:(

I'm hoping that's not the case but still
The only thing I can think of is that a tekken character is from a fighting game. Arms is a fighting game. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
The other thing is they had 2 namco costumes to release and they probably just didn’t want to drop both in one Sakurai presents for some reason. Since there’s only the one Mario item if a Mario character is planned they’re definitely saving it for that

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I think we should see if Sakurai acknowledges Mario Tennis's anniversary this year (he didn't last year)

If he does it this time, Waluigi might not be in. But if he ignores it again it could be a good sign for Waluigi.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
So something potentially good for Waluigi just came up.
⚡Vet⚡ (@Vet_093) Tweeted:
Oh btw. In case you don't know, the last DLC character is confirmed to be announced at Tokyo game show 2021.
That's around September 30th and October 3rd.
https://t.co/SkVqA94avE https://twitter.com/Vet_093/status/1406061652483706883?s=20

TGS is September 30th and October 3rd.
Mario Party Superstars releases on October 29th 2021.
Luigi's Mansion 3 was released October 31st 2019, still doesn't have any Spirits in Smash Ultimate.
Mario Kart Tour added Waluigi to the game alongside King Boo on October 23rd 2019.

Just an observation.

I think we should see if Sakurai acknowledges Mario Tennis's anniversary this year (he didn't last year)

If he does it this time, Waluigi might not be in. But if he ignores it again it could be a good sign for Waluigi.
Sakurai acknowledged Tekken's anniversary through Heihachi's Mii costume months before they revealed Kazuya as a fighter, I think if he was going to acknowledge Mario Tennis' anniversary he'll use Daisy since she was reintroduced in that game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I was definitely more than a bit disgruntled by the lack of Waluigi in the new Warioware.
I hope that is just being saved for a later reveal.
It's the perfect place to showcase him...

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
So something potentially good for Waluigi just came up.
⚡Vet⚡ (@Vet_093) Tweeted:
Oh btw. In case you don't know, the last DLC character is confirmed to be announced at Tokyo game show 2021.
That's around September 30th and October 3rd.
https://t.co/SkVqA94avE https://twitter.com/Vet_093/status/1406061652483706883?s=20
TGS is September 30th and October 3rd.
Mario Party Superstars releases on October 29th 2021.
Luigi's Mansion 3 was released October 31st 2019, still doesn't have any Spirits in Smash Ultimate.
Mario Kart Tour added Waluigi to the game alongside King Boo on October 23rd 2019.

Just an observation.

Sakurai acknowledged Tekken's anniversary through Heihachi's Mii costume months before they revealed Kazuya as a fighter, I think if he was going to acknowledge Mario Tennis' anniversary he'll use Daisy since she was reintroduced in that game.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

seems like we still don't know when the next character will drop, but still, September/October is definitely still a likely timeframe.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
With the inclusion of Kazuya, Sakurai has now gone back on his word 3 times.

Pac Man was "farfetched"

Ridley was "too big"

A tekken character was "hard to implement in Smash"

I see no reason he can't promote an AT in the same game at this point not to mention he's already promoted 2 before. He originally didn't even think he could make anyone from Animal Crossing playable which is why we got the Mr. Resetti trophy.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well Scorpion is out because we have Kazuya, so I'm back on the Waluigi train of hope.

1624222650128.png

I see no reason he can't promote an AT in the same game at this point not to mention he's already promoted 2 before. He originally didn't even think he could make anyone from Animal Crossing playable which is why we got the Mr. Resetti trophy.
That is true, but you have to know that "he" isn't choosing the characters. :iwatanod: It has to be Nintendo who chooses to promote Waluigi.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Well Scorpion is out because we have Kazuya, so I'm back on the Waluigi train of hope.

View attachment 320088

That is true, but you have to know that "he" isn't choosing the characters. :iwatanod: It has to be Nintendo who chooses to promote Waluigi.
But even if Nintendo did choose Waluigi, Sakurai still gets to decide if he can make him a fighter or not. Like Reggie said “In the end, it’s his decision to decide”.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo proposes the character to Sakurai and Sakurai gives the final yes or no. The catch is that Sakurai can’t just say no for no reason. If he really doesn’t think that he can make the character work he can try to say no, but if Nintendo proposes a sword fighter that can 100% work as a character Sakurai can’t just say “no more sword fighters, no”; hence his quote

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace

View attachment 320088

Yeah but Sakurai does have say in whether he can make it work or not, which is why I brought up the fact that he has gone back on his word multiple times.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But even if Nintendo did choose Waluigi, Sakurai still gets to decide if he can make him a fighter or not. Like Reggie said “In the end, it’s his decision to decide”.
Yeah but Sakurai does have say in whether he can make it work or not, which is why I brought up the fact that he has gone back on his word multiple times.
You can tell me Sakurai has the final say all you want, you might be too engaged into his personal tastes. It's probably more likely he would only veto a character if they posed too functionally difficult, as he explained in his Sakurai Presents with Steve.

Top Bottom