• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to Marth's Gimping Game Categorized by Character

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Your Falcon info is wrong. If you try to edgehog him, you'll get grabbed and stage spiked. If you climb up in time, 95% of the time or more he will still get the edge. Edgehogging the Captain does not work anymore like it did in Melee.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Wow.

*****s is flipping out cuz Torn said edgehog.

Calm down people.

If CF has to use his up b then edgeHUG.

Is that better?

lol.

Proverbs: Stop being a scrub. Don't you know that if EVERYOBE shares EVERYTHING the entire Brawl metagame will improve since we will all have to develop counter tactics to any tactics that we find out. But instead you wanna baby Falcon mains.

For what?

_clinton

Smash Master
Nice guide...I noticed you didn't do anything for Fox though (well that is unless I'm blind)...FYI you might want to remember Fox shine...

Lucas: 8/10: Good thing Lucas' fair is nothing compared to Ness'; just go ahead and try to knock him out as far as you can and then backdrop off to a bair when he's trying to PK-Thunder-recover. It's an easy kill, he can't stop the bair barrage that destroys his recovery. Don't get hit by Lucas if he successfully hits himself with PK-Thunder, however. It does like 30% and can kill at like 80%, so watch out. He might tether at low percents (pathetic range), so watch for that.

Lucas has plenty of tricks to recover with...for example he has Zap Jump, and he also has Magnet Pull...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGjNswHpHGU&feature=related

Mastery of those would mean he would come in like Snake does pretty much...only very fast

Magnet helps slow his fall normally to the point where he can just play some mind games with you...

Ness has a few tricks as well...its just that Ness doesn't get as much recovery from his stuff...Magnet with Ness is used to stop any air movement he might be doing just normally (when knocked away kind of far use his normal stuff to recover...then try it with air dodge 1st and then magnet)...to the point where you might not even need his 2nd jump to recover...

actually that is another issue with Ness and Lucas...their double jumps are pretty much like Yoshi's distance wise...meaning they can air dodge with theirs as well...and you might as well do it...they both have ok air dodges...

Samus: 7/10: She tethers often at low percents and has an Up+B that's murder if you're dangling. The obvious answer is to grab some invincibility frames and make her Up+B whiff, thus ensuring she'll fall to her death. Her uair and her nair are good at repelling you though, especially if you approach slightly from above.

Samus also has bombs for recovery, and by that I mean they can mess with you...she can come close...then drop a bomb...and float away from it at the same time when she is doing it (bombs allow you to turn around very fast right away pretty much)...she also has her side Bs which can mess with you...and actually a good Samus is like Peach when it comes to ledge guarding her somewhat...

Oh and if you do it right...you can just gimp Yoshi with only a simple foot stool jump...but overall I don't know how easy it is to land that move on a good yoshi player...

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Proverbs: Stop being a scrub. Don't you know that if EVERYOBE shares EVERYTHING the entire Brawl metagame will improve since we will all have to develop counter tactics to any tactics that we find out. But instead you wanna baby Falcon mains.

For what?
I was about to say something about your name calling, but I took time to reread your post. You're right. The only way that Brawl's metagame can develop is if we all share information. Thanks.

Anyway, I've mostly gone back to Melee, so I'm not sure what I can share. But as I'm still dabbling in Brawl, I'll share what I can in fighting Falcon.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Nice guide...I noticed you didn't do anything for Fox though (well that is unless I'm blind)...FYI you might want to remember Fox shine...

Lucas: 8/10: Good thing Lucas' fair is nothing compared to Ness'; just go ahead and try to knock him out as far as you can and then backdrop off to a bair when he's trying to PK-Thunder-recover. It's an easy kill, he can't stop the bair barrage that destroys his recovery. Don't get hit by Lucas if he successfully hits himself with PK-Thunder, however. It does like 30% and can kill at like 80%, so watch out. He might tether at low percents (pathetic range), so watch for that.

Lucas has plenty of tricks to recover with...for example he has Zap Jump, and he also has Magnet Pull...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGjNswHpHGU&feature=related

Mastery of those would mean he would come in like Snake does pretty much...only very fast

Magnet helps slow his fall normally to the point where he can just play some mind games with you...

Ness has a few tricks as well...its just that Ness doesn't get as much recovery from his stuff...Magnet with Ness is used to stop any air movement he might be doing just normally (when knocked away kind of far use his normal stuff to recover...then try it with air dodge 1st and then magnet)...to the point where you might not even need his 2nd jump to recover...

actually that is another issue with Ness and Lucas...their double jumps are pretty much like Yoshi's distance wise...meaning they can air dodge with theirs as well...and you might as well do it...they both have ok air dodges...

Samus: 7/10: She tethers often at low percents and has an Up+B that's murder if you're dangling. The obvious answer is to grab some invincibility frames and make her Up+B whiff, thus ensuring she'll fall to her death. Her uair and her nair are good at repelling you though, especially if you approach slightly from above.

Samus also has bombs for recovery, and by that I mean they can mess with you...she can come close...then drop a bomb...and float away from it at the same time when she is doing it (bombs allow you to turn around very fast right away pretty much)...she also has her side Bs which can mess with you...and actually a good Samus is like Peach when it comes to ledge guarding her somewhat...

Oh and if you do it right...you can just gimp Yoshi with only a simple foot stool jump...but overall I don't know how easy it is to land that move on a good yoshi player...
Lucas: He's right. Lucas has a lot of recovery techniques and shouldn't be underestimated. The Psi Magnet Pull goes fast enough so that it's very difficult to edgeguard.

Samus: She also should not have that high of a rating. You can edgehog with invincibility frames just about anyone. Just because you can do it to her as well as basically the whole cast doesn't really make her easier to edgeguard at all.

Yoshi: Yeah, footstooling would put a halt on his recovery. I don't know how fast his u-air comes out, but you might be able to get one in on him if it's slow.

_clinton

Smash Master
"Lucas: He's right. Lucas has a lot of recovery techniques and shouldn't be underestimated. The Psi Magnet Pull goes fast enough so that it's very difficult to edgeguard.
Samus: She also should not have that high of a rating. You can edgehog with invincibility frames just about anyone. Just because you can do it to her as well as basically the whole cast doesn't really make her easier to edgeguard at all.
Yoshi: Yeah, footstooling would put a halt on his recovery. I don't know how fast his u-air comes out, but you might be able to get one in on him if it's slow."

Thank you ^_^

Um...yeah overall though I just think Ness should at least have a 6...and Lucas should have at least a 5(Zap Jump for one thing is based off his 2nd jump...meaning if he doesn't have his 2nd jump he can't Zap Jump Magnet pull is overall easy to do though...and Ness has one two somewhat...in fact it is the 1st thing I do with Ness when recovering is fling out PSI Magnet...I almost never need PK thunder because of that)...Samus should have a 4 like Zelda IMO

Yoshi is fine at a 3...I just felt like pointing out a simple weak point in his recovery...overall though it is kind of hard to get him with it...

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Completely disagree with your low rating on Snake. His Cypher leaves him wide open during the initial frames and is basically inviting you to spike, and he can't fend off a jumping bair very well, either, since all his aerials are laggy.

Benjamin Linus

Smash Apprentice
Samus - Zero Suit Samus: 8/10: Actually, I'm not too sure about Zero Suit Samus, but it seems to me as though her two recovery options make her a little less predictable to gimp. I'm not really sure how her Up+B works regarding a dangling character, but both of her recoveries kind of have pitiful range.
Torn
i disagree. ive played quite a few Zss's and despite the popular conception she is not that easy to gimp. her side b and her jump height give her good distance. its risky to attack the side b because he can kick at any time and you may get spiked. most ZSS's will go above the stage so instant edgehogging like we do with ivysaur will not work. but if you are able to hit her out of both her jump and side b then she's screwed. i would give this a 6/10 or 7/10.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I was very confused at the beginning until I saw /endsarcasm
Me too. An nice list, it was very helpful! also, about using counter to gimp aether, I didn't realize that it was that big of a deal and people didn't know about it, or I would have said something about it 3 weeks ago... Nice job Torn!!:):):):):):):)

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
Excellent guide. A very nice read. Though you may want to add that ZSS can use her B down for recovery and her Up-B can spike a dangling Marth at like 60%

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Yeah, you need to mention how you can counter Ike's Aether. It's not too hard. You can keep a somewhat safe distance and shorthop before doing the counter. This way Marth does a sliding counter. Or you can stand there and counter at the right time.

As for the Falco thing, I posted a thread on the Marth forum. You can actually spike (nAir) and dTilt it. You have do it on starting on Frame #9 i believe and only at a certain position. There's more info on the last few posts of that thread.

Edit:

I just realized this is an old thread that was bumped. Sorry for rebumping.

MaxThunder

PM Support
... its completely impossible to gimp sonic... at least if its two against one... and they are twins... even if its the first time they play the game... dont put twins on team against you...

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
This is nice for sure, even if it is outdated. I took a good look at the pikachu matchup because I was confused to go about gimping him unless you are indeed in a good position to edgehog him. We all know pikachu is good at edgeguarding with Down B alone, and the only way to avoid that is to be QUICK. Anywho, I like what Pierce and you said about the matchup, and his B up can definitely be seen in a lot of ways because of how he can use it.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Why was this bumped?

To gimp DK, you have to hit him as low as you can, since his vertical recovery sucks.

IDK

Smash Lord
edit: oh... my bad... just posted something because i figured this was recent... WHO BUMPED THIS!?!?!?!!!!ONE111!oneone111!!!one!!!!
(disregard)

Top Bottom