• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A GENERIC TOURNAMENT 9000+: Melee, Brawl+, Jan 3rd, MAJOR UPDATE

kirkq

Smash Ace
If AC is coming there is no choice for anyone whether or not to come.

Can we get a tentative time schedule when you get a chance? I assume this is melee singles and teams and brawl singles and teams? It's probably going to be a long day.

Also, I need a melee teammate. (EDIT: Got a secret teammate.) I won't be playing BARLW+ unfortunately.

I'll be going with 1-3 others weather permitting. /Weather Johns.

EDIT: I'll bring a Wii, a TV, melee, and brawl

KishSquared

Smash Master
We'll likely stat with Melee and move to Brawl+. We want as many people to play Brawl+ as possible, though, because we want to see some real tournament matches using the codes. Please consider playing!

Also, we still need setups for both Melee and Brawl+!!

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I'm really tempted to come check this out. If I do, I could bring a modded Wii, Brawl+, and Melee.

Is anyone in the Columbus OH area or on the route looking to Car-pool?

Fletch

Smash Master
Why do you have to host this during the one weekend of the year that I'll be gone from South Bend? Really lame, I was looking forward to trying out Brawl+, and am definitely going to miss Melee.

Tink

Smash Hero
ill most likley come to this and try to rep that "never played brawl+" catagory of people =)

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
I'll also try to be there, never played Brawl+.

But can't miss any Melee action.

Oh and Joshu, that is definitely the best South Park episode ever xD

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
between me, ice- and the rest of our guys we'll probably have about 3 setups for melee, 2 for brawl and 3 or 4 tvs. can't wait for this!

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Just curious... is anyone at this tournament going to be playing regular Brawl for friendlies? If so, I'll bring my GameCube then for Melee.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Too true, we're dropping the ball a bit here. We did have our reasons though, as we were waiting to playtest a bunch of stuff in person, and as you all know, the Ship is scattered across the country at this time.

Here are the things that we decided on after some playtesting. I'll start by saying that I have done an unnecessarily long analysis of Brawl's mechanics and have come to the conclusion that they are imbalanced in favor of defense. This is not a good situation, and leads to slow, drawn-out matches. While camping is legitimate, it must come with it it's own set of dangers, and currently this is not the case. Thus, many of the buffs you will see are an enhancement to offense.

This is NOT a balancing effort. We are not trying to make characters more even, but rather this is an effort to tweak the mechanics of Brawl in a more positive way.

Hitstun - 8%
This is a code that allows for just a bit more punishment off of initial attacks. It is a definite buff to offense. We didn't want to push it too high or the combos may be excessive.

Auto L-Cancel
This reduces lag on attacks, and makes it a bit more feasible to go on the attack.

No delay on Edge Grab
This is a buff to edgeguarding, and allows for an instant drop off the ledge. Oddly enough, it cancels your invulnerability, giving you the choice to either wait for the Brawl timer to expire and keep your invunerability or to immediately drop and lose it.

No tripping
Duh.

Reduced Stale Moves
The code we will post is a small reduction of stale moves. As a concept, stale moves is a poor mechanic that, instead of giving the player balanced options, the developers simply chose to force you to change your moves by drastically reducing their power. While it's a poor mechanic, it always has been a part of Smash on some level, so it was only reduced.

RAWRizard
Selecting a Pokemon will now cause you to keep it the entire battle, with no tiredness. Selecting pure Pokemon Trainer will keep him as normal.

There may be one more, but I think that is it. I'll try to get the codes posted by the end of the night.

EDIT:

No auto-sweetspot ledges
This is great in every way. It takes skill to recover and also gives you the option to come over the top of the stage if you want.

zxeon

Smash Lord
There is a new level speed modifier for freezing individual stages that can be used to turn Pokémon Stadium 2, Warioware, and Pictochat into neutral stages.

Check it out in the code agenda thread.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
There is a new level speed modifier for freezing individual stages that can be used to turn Pokémon Stadium 2, Warioware, and Pictochat into neutral stages.

Check it out in the code agenda thread.
can this also be used to have only certain transitions occur? Pictochat and PS1+2 have some legitimate transitions (and bad ones) and it could be nice to use them. possibly not in time for this tourney, but just wondering.

zxeon

Smash Lord
can this also be used to have only certain transitions occur? Pictochat and PS1+2 have some legitimate transitions (and bad ones) and it could be nice to use them. possibly not in time for this tourney, but just wondering.
No, as soon as the countdown for the start of the fight finishes the whole stage stops moving and doesn't move anymore or transition.

ice-

Smash Journeyman
this sounds like a blast, can't wait. Also, is there any way I can get the brackets and polls after this is over? I want to try some stuff :p

aquteen

Smash Ace
after reading this I have a question, how exactly does a "no-avatar match" work? Is the loser just forced to have no avatar or is there more to it?

BIG C

Smash Master
Ok I read it. There were actually 9 teams at FC1. The Ship got in the play-in round against Ken's crew, and lost, getting 9th because it was single-elimination in the worst death-bracket ever.

Sweet. Big C+Tink+COK=Smashin' good time.

See what I did there?
SHEP + COK = SHOK = Super Hyper Ohio Krew

KishPrime

BRoomer
Terribly sorry that this is so late.

The rules are posted in the first post.

I still need to get a codes file.

EDIT: Also, setups anyone? We'll have a couple, but I know one of my TVs is considered laggy by some people.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Why is Smashboards always down when I can do things and up when I can't?

Sigh. Still trying to get the file up for anyone who wants to practice...

KishSquared

Smash Master
Bleh, sorry this took so long to post. Place this file on your SD card in a folder called "codes" in the root directory.

Also, Smashboards doesn't allow me to upload GCT files apparently, so it's a DOC file. Rename it to .gct for it to work, lawl.

Top Bottom