• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"A Bad Smash Day..."- Conker for Ultimate!

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
1620493333057.jpeg

I know it’s kind of a long shot but if the rumors that Microsoft and Nintendo are teaming up for some kind of E3 reveal are true, then I’m hoping this means Conker gets to be announced as one of the last two DLC slots.

If not, then at the very least it would be nice having some classic Rare games like Conker’s BFD and the Battletoads being ported to the Switch as a consolation prize, I guess.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 314284
I know it’s kind of a long shot but if the rumors that Microsoft and Nintendo are teaming up for some kind of E3 reveal are true, then I’m hoping this means Conker gets to be announced as one of the last two DLC slots.

If not, then at the very least it would be nice having some classic Rare games like Conker’s BFD and the Battletoads being ported to the Switch as a consolation prize, I guess.
And as big of announcement as Master Chief getting into Smash would be, honestly, Conker would be a million times more hyped to me.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
And as big of announcement as Master Chief getting into Smash would be, honestly, Conker would be a million times more hyped to me.
Ngl Chief is a character I‘d absolutely hate to see getting in, however I’m not really worried about him since he has been deconfirmed countless times already. Not to mention no history with Nintendo.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
What do you think about the cut sucide ending?
I think it was a bit to melodramatic having him commit suicide so i prefer that they cut it!
also i want a cute conker and Bad fur conker crossover!

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 314284

Holy **** I must say that’s some impressive photoshop skill you got there. It looks so official dayum!

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
What do you think about the cut sucide ending?
I think it was a bit to melodramatic having him commit suicide so i prefer that they cut it!
also i want a cute conker and Bad fur conker crossover!
I agree with you. I love the story as it is and Conker committing suicide felt like a completely redundant thing and would probably kinda ruin it for me. So I’m 100% glad they dropped it.

Holy **** I must say that’s some impressive photoshop skill you got there. It looks so official dayum!
Why thank you, old chap!

While I'm not sure what Smash Remix is (it seems like a mod for the N64 game), I figure this might be of interest to the regulars of this thread:

Mr. Stevenson Mr. Stevenson my man! The dream is real:

Holy motherbuzzing ****!!! I never thought it would be possible for me to be this hyped about a fanmade project. I literally jumped in joy.
I mean they really made justice for the squirrel fella here. The trailer, the model, the moveset... Oh yeah!!!
If Conker doesn’t come to Ultimate then this is one hell of a consolation prize to look forward to. I couldn’t be more thankful to the guys at Smash Remix.

The funny thing is I had made a Conker Smash 64 style design a couple of months ago, in an attempt to capture what the character would’ve looked like had he been a newcomer in Smash 64. Never did I expect this to (in a way) come true but boy am I glad it did.
1620692642395.png

1620692567013.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I was just coming here to share this but I see I'm too late. Big congrats to ya'll for Conker getting into Remix!

1620708088204.png

My quick review of him after actually playing the squirrel is that he seems really adept at racking up damage but has a hard time closing out stocks unless you're willing to go deep off stage. That said though he's a blast to play with and arguably overshadows the inclusion of Wolf by a long shot. I love that his entrance animation is the reaper hand dropping him on the stage and his victory theme is the windmill jingle.

He looks and FEELS like he's always belonged in Smash 64, a testament to how incredible the Remix team is.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's a long shot, but I hope other N64 characters besides just Banjo & Kazooie get into Smash Remix like Goemon, Marina Liteyears, Gex, Joanna Dark, ect.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Since this is a Smash 64 mod I kinda want them to stay true to Smash’s original concept and keep it exclusive to Nintendo characters as they’re currently doing.
Of course this would be a great opportunity to add the ones that were only considered in the earlier entries and ended up being left behind like Meowth, Balloon Fighter and/or Geno.
But I don’t wanna sound ungrateful. In the end Conker’s in and that’s all I could ask for.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Since this is a Smash 64 mod I kinda want them to stay true to Smash’s original concept and keep it exclusive to Nintendo characters as they’re currently doing.
Of course this would be a great opportunity to add the ones that were only considered in the earlier entries and ended up being left behind like Meowth, Balloon Fighter and/or Geno.
But I don’t wanna sound ungrateful. In the end Conker’s in and that’s all I could ask for.
That I don't mind. Though, I feel like the Rareware characters from the Rare games before the buyout are Nintendo characters at heart in my opinion. To me, characters like Banjo & Kazooie, Conker, Joanna Dark, Battletoads, Juno & Vela, ect are Nintendo characters regardless of what other people say.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
That I don't mind. Though, I feel like the Rareware characters from the Rare games before the buyout are Nintendo characters at heart in my opinion. To me, characters like Banjo & Kazooie, Conker, Joanna Dark, Battletoads, Juno & Vela, ect are Nintendo characters regardless of what other people say.
Well yeah I 100% agree with you. That's what I'm always saying lol
576EEA1A-544A-4941-98D3-1E1E9B846C58.jpeg

1620790662486.png

85A58361-DB37-4800-A441-A69FEB93D8FF.jpeg

npower.jpg

e3.jpg

And that’s exactly what I meant by “as they’re currently doing”. A character like Conker is and will always be Nintendo at heart to me so seeing him alongside (other) Nintendo legends couldn’t possibly feel more right, regardless if it’s in a fanmade project or an official one.
smash remix.jpg

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Seeing Conker in Smash Remix made me realize how sorely lacking we are in a true slapstick character. I know it's not the likeliest thing in the world, but I would love to see him join Smash officially someday.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Conker and Banjo are more like cousins of Nintendo that manage to be important to Nintendo history. Banjo and Conker debuted on Nintendo so that gives them a pass. I kinda get when people not consider them Nintendo because their whole demeanor is a bit different. Banjo and Conker weren't ever really Nintendo characters when you think about it, but you can still slap the tag on them. They are more like special cases.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like at the most Conker and Joanna Dark should get in Smash someday among the old Rareware characters. Battletoads and Juno & Vela would be great but I see Banjo & Kazooie, Conker and Joanna Dark as the faces of Rare during it's golden age on the N64 so I think at least those 4 should be in. And when I say 4 I'm counting Banjo and Kazooie as 2 characters instead of one.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I feel like at the most Conker and Joanna Dark should get in Smash someday among the old Rareware characters. Battletoads and Juno & Vela would be great but I see Banjo & Kazooie, Conker and Joanna Dark as the faces of Rare during it's golden age on the N64 so I think at least those 4 should be in. And when I say 4 I'm counting Banjo and Kazooie as 2 characters instead of one.
Personally I’d prefer the Battletoads or Fulgore over her, but yeah she’s probably the most logical/likely choice for a 3rd Rareware newcomer, with Conker obviously being 2nd.

Seeing Conker in Smash Remix made me realize how sorely lacking we are in a true slapstick character. I know it's not the likeliest thing in the world, but I would love to see him join Smash officially someday.
I kinda see characters like Mario, Wario and DK as slapstick characters. But I kind of get where you’re getting at since Conker’s slapstick style is more in the vein of something truly wacky like the Looney Tunes.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I guess everyone in this thread at least saw the Conker reveal for Smash Remix.
As stated earlier, Conker can deal some damage but his kill potential is weak. Using the grenade or a well-timed smash attack can counter that weakness. I've been playing the new update for a while and it really feels organic, Conker fits perfectly and pulls from Bad Fur Day and even Pocket Tales. Rare was a glaring omission from early Smash and while Banjo-Kazooie fits the bill in Ultimate, Conker showcases that a little better, being the not-so-known sibling to Banjo and also taking material from an M-rated game (And E with Pocket Tales but that title is even more unknown to the public) that isn't only safe in a general context
but also fits with the overall cartoony style of Smash 64. Remember that Conker debuted with Banjo and Diddy and the rest of the DKR cast. M-rated game aside, he fits seamlessly with the Mario/DK cast just like Banjo-Kazooie did with Mario, DK and Pikachu on that one N64 box.

But what really makes the Conker update really special is that is shows that Conker doesn't need to be crude to fit in, and if you played Bad Fur Day, outside of his love for beer and women, he's not really crude or profane and the one scene that people deem to be 'iconic' (Which it really isn't) was the result of being context sensitive. There were plenty of other ways you could douse the fire imps, but given the game's tone and content, that was all Conker could do. It made sense in that particular context. This is why Context Sensitive in my opinion would be a risky move to use in Smash, it would have to make sense within the context that it's used. While the use of a chainsaw, flamethrower and slingshot may seem generic, it's more then enough to showcase the few games he has, never mind the other weapons he uses and it proves that the raunchy material of Bad Fur Day isn't as crucial to Conker's character as people make it out to be, or Bayonetta would be decapitating everyone with her Climax. Repeat with Snake and his elements from Metal Gear, etc.

I argued these points in 2019 as to why Conker can fit in Smash and it was those arguments that made me want him, not in a do-or-die sense but a "Why not?" kinda way but I felt the same way back in 2007. Nonetheless, this goes back to a point I made in the past: Fans can do the things that official corporations can't or won't do and Conker in Smash Remix is more than enough to scratch that itch, and I imagine this will lead to someone making a Conker PSA for Brawl/PM. This render also seasoned that desire:

With the rise of so many fan mods and the shot in a million that was Banjo-Kazooie in Ultimate, character requests like Conker aren't really that outlandish and a proof of concept exists with Smash Remix. And to certain parts of the Smash fandom, Conker would be better than another shillmon, FE or Mario character, mirite?

But in the context of Diddy Kong Racing, he was a Mario character. Not again!

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
It's been awhile since I have been in this thread and life has gotten in the way but things have happened.

Conker in Smash Remix for one thing, and yes I knew about it but didn't comment here but now I am. He looks and plays so cool. A testament of both the Remix Team and that Conker himself fits so well with the rest of the Smashers. He may not be in Ultimate but this is the next best thing.

:bowser:.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
If im honest Conker in Smash Remix was more interesting to me than the entirity of FP2 to be honest, and i don't even play Smash Mods.

➡ BASED!!! ⬅

I am honestly still waiting to see if someone is able to sell a Smash Remix 9.7 cartridge on eBay at a fair price. As a huge Conker fan who’s wanted him since ever, I really can’t miss out on it. Thank goodness for the existence of that mod compensating the overall mediocrity of FP2. Here’s to hoping at least the last one can save the pass even if it isn’t Conker.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
What can i tell you? Im blunt when it comes to my opinions. Japan isn't this perfect country of entertaintment and Manga is overrated as **** (Bande Dessine are better) I like Pinapple on Pizza and FP2 has been a mess. FP1 wasn't great but at least it had Banjo and i didn't mind Terry and Hero (although Hero's movesest was a dissapointment, SSF2's Black Mage is the best magic user in Smash) but FP2 was just dissapointing as hell for me.

Min Min was nice but it felt like a leftover idea more than anything (plus im not a fan of the main character getting sidelined by the side character) Steve was okay but i don't care about MC at all (at least it wasn't Master Chief) Sephiroth was terrible as i wanted Geno for our square character, and i would have preffered Cecil, Black Mage, Terra or Zidane for another FF char instead of more FF7 dongsucking (and his content SHOULD have come with Cloud in the base game, and Seph should have been the Boss or AT) Pyra and Mythra are only choices i can respect but don't really care for since i haven't played Xeno 2 yet and Kazuya actually pissed me off, because they could have easily saved the Heihachi costume for Kazuya's pack, and they didn't, and as someone who wanted a Tales character in Smash this actually pissed me the Hell Off because it gave me some hope. Plus Tekken's mechanics are kryptonite to me, so he's a character i have no interest in playing as (remember when the whole point of Smash was to have characters with simple mechanics and movesests? Whatever happened to that?)

I may sound like an entitled whiner who is a spoiled brat and must love everything that is given and consume product, but the Base Game was like the complete opposite for me. Simon, K. Rool, Ridley, and as a Roy main i was okay with Chrom's reveal. Plus every veteran i loved like Mewtwo, Dr Mario, Young Link, Wolf and i even got to enjoy veterans i usually don't play as (Zelda, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Pichu) thanks to their changes. The only newcomers i didn't care for were Isabelle and Incineroar due to my lack of attachment and my aversion to wrestler archetypes. The ONLY one i truly hated was Piranha Plant, for being a joke that stopped being funny the second it was revealed.

So i understand why DLC seems so meh to me, it is a though act to follow, so that's why i don't go on a tangent or try to express my dissapointment (at least in public, you don't wanna know how i am in person when it comes to what i say) i mean who needs DLC when you got K.Rool?

Thank goodness for the existence of that mod compensating the overall mediocrity of FP2. Here’s to hoping at least the last one can save the pass even if it isn’t Conker.
I wouldn't be so optimistic. Smash Reveals always end on a low note, and while that doesn't mean it will be bad (Shulk was a last reveal for Smash 4 base game) they tend to be uninteresing or really lame in the eyes of many. It will be someone like Sakura Shinguchi or Reimu, so prepare for the salt mines (and i don't like those fellas)

Plus i hate unexpected character in Smash, they consistently rank low in reveals for me and are never the ones i end up picking (outside of Greninja in 4, and the returning veterans like Young Link and Pichu in Ultimate)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Gentlemen (especially Mr. Stevenson Mr. Stevenson ), I have a suggestion. Spending the decade organizing a gathering of support for a petition called "Operation Chocolate", in the style of Operation Rainfall, with the objective of persuading Microsoft into having a new developer (or Double Fine preferably) make a new Conker game and/or get him into Smash.

Will you be up to the task?

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Sign me up as a supporter.

I would have rather seen Conker in the game as the 2nd Microsoft character opposed to more boring sword fighters like Steve.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Yep. I'm a supporter obviously. I can't wait for Psychonauts 2 because it's probably going to be the best platformer we're getting in a long while. I think Double Fine would do it very well and I think Conker deserves another chance from a passionate team. The only thing I worry about in regard to Double Fine doing it is that they maybe want to do Brutal Legends 2 after wrapping up development for Psychonauts 2.

They'd have to understand that doing Conker in the current era is different that doing it back then but they also have to retain that charm from the first game somehow. Would be a very interesting narrative challenge that I'm 100% sure could be solved with enough proper brainstorming sessions.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Gentlemen (especially Mr. Stevenson Mr. Stevenson ), I have a suggestion. Spending the decade organizing a gathering of support for a petition called "Operation Chocolate", in the style of Operation Rainfall, with the objective of persuading Microsoft into having a new developer (or Double Fine preferably) make a new Conker game and/or get him into Smash.

Will you be up to the task?
A new game, not really. Microsoft has already proven way too many times that they’re not a good fit for classic Rare IPs in general, and they’ve already done Conker dirty in the past. Hell they couldn’t even do a remake right. Conker is a pretty unique IP, and I doubt any company out there has the creative talent not just for the humor but also for the art style and the character creation that Rare had. Besides I’m satisfied with just Bad Fur Day as it is, I loved the way it ended on a surprisingly sad ending with a strong moral to it. I kinda see it as the Terminator 2 of the franchise in that it doesn’t need a sequel, specially when its current home company doesn’t even have any clue of what to do with it (Young Conker).

Him in Smash, 100% yes. I think I’ve already made myself pretty clear on why I want Conker so badly too many times lol, so I’m just gonna put it in spoiler:
In all my years BFD has always been not just one of my favorite Nintendo games but also games in general of all time. Regardless if he’s owned by Microsoft, I’ll never not see Conker as a Nintendo character. I’ve always found him a perfect fit for the Smash too for as long as I know the squirrel. And man, it would be extremely satisfying seeing him reuniting with classic Nintendo icons, specially the ones from his era like Mario, Diddy, DK, Fox, Link, Pikachu, etc. I also believe he’d have a pretty sweet moveset thanks to his Context Sensitive abilities. So I’m all in for having him in Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A new game, not really. Microsoft has already proven way too many times that they’re not a good fit for classic Rare IPs in general, and they’ve already done Conker dirty in the past. Hell they couldn’t even do a remake right. Conker is a pretty unique IP, and I doubt any company out there has the creative talent not just for the humor but also for the art style and the character creation that Rare had. Besides I’m satisfied with just Bad Fur Day as it is, I loved the way it ended on a surprisingly sad ending with a strong moral to it. I kinda see it as the Terminator 2 of the franchise in that it doesn’t need a sequel, specially when its current home company doesn’t even have any clue of what to do with it (Young Conker).

Him in Smash, 100% yes. I think I’ve already made myself pretty clear on why I want Conker so badly too many times lol, so I’m just gonna put it in spoiler:
In all my years BFD has always been not just one of my favorite Nintendo games but also games in general of all time. Regardless if he’s owned by Microsoft, I’ll never not see Conker as a Nintendo character. I’ve always found him a perfect fit for the Smash too for as long as I know the squirrel. And man, it would be extremely satisfying seeing him reuniting with classic Nintendo icons, specially the ones from his era like Mario, Diddy, DK, Fox, Link, Pikachu, etc. I also believe he’d have a pretty sweet moveset thanks to his Context Sensitive abilities. So I’m all in for having him in Smash.
In that case, the petition should be about getting him in Smash. :ultbanjokazooie: already proved that you don't need a new game to be included, so at this stage Conker should be immortalized. Rash as well, since I wouldn't want the Battletoads' divisive reboot to be the last thing they're remembered for.
Also, Conker vs. :ultpeach: frying pan matches would be like:

So, anyway, how will you get started, use www.change.org? Or try something different.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
In that case, the petition should be about getting him in Smash. :ultbanjokazooie: already proved that you don't need a new game to be included, so at this stage Conker should be immortalized. Rash as well, since I wouldn't want the Battletoads' divisive reboot to be the last thing they're remembered for.
Also, Conker vs. :ultpeach: frying pan matches would be like:

So, anyway, how will you get started, use www.change.org? Or try something different.
I’m not sure. I’ve been running a Conker for Smash Twitter campaign account for nearly two years now, not sure if that counts. I didn’t get too far with it tho, the best highlight was probably pushing for Conker to be somewhere in the biggest fan Smash ballot.
1627324661447.png

I feel like I would’ve been more satisfied with this if ****ing Heavy of all characters wouldn’t have been number 1, but whatever.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Mr. Stevenson Mr. Stevenson

Eh, fan ballots like that don't affect much. The Global Smash Ranking lets anyone vote for more than one character, for instance.

The best thing to do is to try and spread the word as far and wide as possible, and get the :ultbanjokazooie: fans onboard too. Maybe you could ask Fatmanonice Fatmanonice for advice on organizing this kind of campaign, he's been around the block since SSBBrawl.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman

Meh don't get hung up on past failures. You're closing yourself off to the possibility (however faint) of Conker having a good sequel. With the right crew it's just as possible as it being bad.

You should try him in Smash Remix 64 though. They put in him that game.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Mr. Stevenson Mr. Stevenson

Eh, fan ballots like that don't affect much. The Global Smash Ranking lets anyone vote for more than one character, for instance.

The best thing to do is to try and spread the word as far and wide as possible, and get the :ultbanjokazooie: fans onboard too. Maybe you could ask Fatmanonice Fatmanonice for advice on organizing this kind of campaign, he's been around the block since SSBBrawl.
That’s true, I guess. But I’m gonna be honest here, I think it’s too late to start the fight now. It really does baffle me how Conker is not a major popular pick (specially today) but hell Geno got its start so early in the series’ lifespan and even he didn’t make the cut today. Probably the best thing to do is just enjoy how Conker’s in Smash Remix.

Meh don't get hung up on past failures. You're closing yourself off to the possibility (however faint) of Conker having a good sequel. With the right crew it's just as possible as it being bad.

You should try him in Smash Remix 64 though. They put in him that game.
With the track record of poor adaptations of classic Rare franchises coming from MS, I think the chances of it sucking are much more than 50% tbh. They clearly have no idea on what to do with such IPs, but then again it’s no wonder given that they never fit Microsoft’s silly demands when it comes to creating a game. And like I said, I’m one of the few people who’s satisfied with Bad Fur Day as it is and thinks a sequel to that game is expendable (specially nowadays). If you want to give it a shot, good for you but I don’t.

Also yes I’m aware. I bought a Smash Remix cartridge with the 9.7 version recently so now I just wait.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the thing with Geno (besides licensing co-ownership with a third-party) is that he's a spin-off character, which until further notice Smash doesn't prioritize that much. Hell, even Paper Mario skipped out on several entries.

Besides, with Microsoft's foot in the door, that opens up a few possibilities for folks to ask stuff from them. With Chief being the only one with no clear Nintendo presence so far, there's still Fallout, Skyrim, Doom and other Rare properties on the table, so it's not a total loss. Battle's lost, but the war is not over.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
02E6688D-9164-4D8C-AC2E-E429B142C899.jpeg
AEA39402-270D-491C-BB30-FA4854B40931.jpeg
EFB818A1-4494-46BB-A66F-1F1FE521A53D.jpeg
FFC961B4-2639-46F1-BFC1-1D58CE6FB25E.jpeg

I finally got to play Smash Remix last week on my Nintendo 64 and even tho my expectations were pretty damn high the mod still exceeded them. All the new characters and content look so damn official. And Conker being their second character in the game that’s not an official fighter in the official Smash games, it only makes it more of a big deal that he’s in the game. Not just because Smash is a game he always belonged in but because the moveset they gave him is really well thought out. You can tell the people behind it knew Bad Fur Day very well.
This does prove what I’m always saying that Conker is a character that even tho comes from an M-rated game (which is something we have seen before in Smash games btw) is tame in behavior and personality, and can fit right into Smash while being given a top tier moveset without any inappropriate nature. Yet I see close minded people (even here on the DLC Speculation Discussion thread) saying he wouldn’t offer any variety and would look out of character cuz the whole appeal of the character is that he’s offensive and inappropriate, and that people only like BFD because it’s for adults.
Man just how stupid and close minded are these people anyway? Go play the game before jumping into false and dumbass conclusions!

Last edited:
Top Bottom