• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

9/19/09 - Gigabits - Back 2 School Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gindler

Smash Champion
You could instate striking and make it voluntary.

Its what I'm doing with GKB:

This insures equality.

What I care more about is banning the omnigay. But I'll leave that adventure for another time.

As for MMs.. I'm working on honing my new character with help from HRnut. Depending on how confident I feel with him, depends on if I'll accept. Then again, the practice would be greatly appreciated. We'll see.

MK and Olimar are my sworn enemies. With Fox, I will accept any challenge from those characters regardless of time or place. :)

I'm starting to realize just how comfortable I am to compete with skillful players, and I'm planning on showing everyone just how formidable I can be when I set my mind to it.

¬(¥w¥¬)
I'm sorry, i just had to lol at that

-!-

Smash Lord
why not just leave it to random, and if both players accept doing the stage striking method then so be it... hitting random has been working for.... years... I'm against the stage striking method... even though for some reason it will end up being either Battlefield or Smashville which I'm comfortable with.... I just prefer going with luck then, in a way, always playing one out of the two most common stages that end up being played.

and is lylat still on CP and Yoshis on Neutrals or whats the deal???

-!-

gallax

Smash Hero
yeah make stage striking optional, like its always been. im always gonna say no to it so therefore we have no problems.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
2 people, especially 2 people who rarely place top ten, don't have more say than the rest of the FL smash community.

If stage striking wins the poll, tournaments should use it with the option to random if both players say yes.

gallax

Smash Hero
if you are talking about me and radix tommy then you are sadly mistaken about our placings. and this was a poll. we were just giving our opinion. there is no need to be calling players out. especially when you dont even know what happens in orlando.

btw me and radix place well in tournies. anyone in CFL will back us up on this.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
STAGE STRIKING POLL!!

With stage striking, opponents take turns eliminating neutral stages until one remains, and they then play on that one stage for the first round of the match. This is tournament standard in some areas, and provides very positive changes in tournament setting.

for the votes...

YES I WANT STAGE STRIKING: 18
TommyG
RedHalberd
Fenrir
lw0nderbreadl
B_AWAL
Curaga
Deadweight
Fearless
Emo^Wolf
HCBSpike
ZMT
pkbasis
HRNUT
Hixxy
Draconoa44
D-Torr
radiX
GDX

NO I WANT RANDOM STAGES: 2
gallax
MixCoatl

Tommy_G: Eh, don't demean them...they have an opinion just like everybody else... and they're qualified to air that, since this is a poll and all that. They're not exactly changing what the FL community wants, apparently, given the 5-1 ratio for stage striking so far..

MixCoatl: Once we decide striking or not, we'll do another discussion/poll for stages... there's just too many options until we figure out whether we're doing striking.

The reason to not leave this to random is so that neither player is inherently at a disadvantage for the NEUTRAL stage. This has been a problem since Melee... And honestly, many tournaments have tried to find a way around this. Yes, tournaments have used random for years, but I don't know how well it has "worked" really...and many tournaments have tried to make the system more fair. MLG allowed players one random reset, which basically served as a temp. banned neutral (And I even heard talk among MLG people of making each round of the tournament a different set stage and etc). Some other tournaments just gave each player 2 bans, rather than one... All to try to solve this problem

The release of the SBR ruleset was the first time I saw stage striking explained, and honestly, in terms of fairness (and thus tournament viability), I personally feel it is the best option.

Say against Falco... Falco is at an advantage against many characters on FD due to camping and hit-and-run. But if you are to ban FD (as we all know from Tommy) Falco still has Japes to CP... so basically (in many matchups) you risk going to a terrible "neutral" stage, or you basically give him a free CP win. How exactly is that fair in tournament?

This system would allow people to basically choose two neutrals (in case of 5 neutral stages) that they DON'T want to play first round... and then CP accordingly. Falco might be able to CP you to FD still, but at least you would have a chance to change characters, or maybe FD isn't as bad as Japes... this is all just to serve as an example.

I will say this. Striking will not be an optional rule if it wins this vote. It will be the standard for the tournament...

If BOTH players want to do random, they may do so, but if EITHER player prefers striking, striking will be used... just as when dealing with other rules... BOTH must agree.

Otherwise there's no real reason for this vote... and since striking is currently winning pretty easily, it appears that most people want it to be implemented, and thus it should be.

Toneh

Smash Lord
Say against Falco... Falco is at an advantage against many characters on FD due to camping and hit-and-run. But if you are to ban FD (as we all know from Tommy) Falco still has Japes to CP... so basically (in many matchups) you risk going to a terrible "neutral" stage, or you basically give him a free CP win. How exactly is that fair in tournament?

This system would allow people to basically choose two neutrals (in case of 5 neutral stages) that they DON'T want to play first round... and then CP accordingly. Falco might be able to CP you to FD still, but at least you would have a chance to change characters, or maybe FD isn't as bad as Japes... this is all just to serve as an example.
didnt think of it like that. ok go with stage striking then doesn't bother me.
I wanna see how it works out after a while.

Put me under 5 neutrals if there's striking

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
didnt think of it like that. ok go with stage striking then doesn't bother me.
I wanna see how it works out after a while.

Put me under 5 neutrals if there's striking
Same thing for me. I hate Lylat with a passion. It shouldn't have ever been a neutral. The ledges are too unpredictable. I always have to waste my ban on Lylat because I'm worried of getting it first round on a random rather than using it intelligently on Rainbow Cruise or Frigate Orpheon. That's not what a ban is for.

I don't mean to demean them; however, it sounded like they posted their opinion as the end all decision that has to be made simply because it is what we've been using. If something needs to change, then we change it.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
STAGE STRIKING POLL!!

With stage striking, opponents take turns eliminating neutral stages until one remains, and they then play on that one stage for the first round of the match. This is tournament standard in some areas, and provides very positive changes in tournament setting.

for the votes...

YES I WANT STAGE STRIKING: 18
TommyG
RedHalberd
Fenrir
lw0nderbreadl
B_AWAL
Curaga
Deadweight
Fearless
Emo^Wolf
HCBSpike
ZMT
pkbasis
HRNUT
Hixxy
Draconoa44
D-Torr
radiX
GDX

NO I WANT RANDOM STAGES: 2
gallax
MixCoatl

Alright, I'm going to cap this at the end of the day (freakin landslide...pretty unexpected by me, at least)... unless random gets a heck of a lot of votes, we're going with stage striking.

So assuming it does end up that way, we gotta figure out what stages to use.

Using striking, we have to have an odd number of stages, to make it fair.

3 stages, imo is too limited, since you can choose which ones you don't want, anyway...

5 stages is good... pretty solid option.

7 stages is an interesting option, as well... since it would also put PS1 for an option on the neutral, and that stage is pretty darn popular.

Anyways, the options,

Option A (3 stages):

Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination

Option B (5 stages):

Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Option C (7 stages):

Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino (considered Castle Siege, but I think Delfino is just more solid for neutral. Feel free to argue with me here)

Anything more than 7 really shouldn't be considered due to time constraints and complication of the system...

7 is interesting, because again, you DON'T EVER HAVE TO play on any of the stages you don't like.... so opening up the possibility of Delfino or PS1 for a neutral, if both players don't mind it is a pretty cool idea, imo...

I would personally vote for option C, because more stages = more possible variety here...and it doesn't add too much else to think about in the selection process. But at the same time, I would settle for option B...

Anyways, I'm going to start voting on this, because unless something changes, we're going with striking.

Stage list

A:0
B:2
C:1

(I didn't count previous posts because I wanted to make sure to outline the options first... so I've only counted my vote so far)
so GO!

Toneh

Smash Lord
delphino is too broken for d3, mk also does pretty good there, better as cp.
not sure about other characters.

2/4 transformations have walls on ps1 for D3.

5 stages for me.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
delfino definitely shouldn't be considered one of the neutrals with the walkoffs. just leave it at 5 stages with stage striking. you dont want the process to take too long anyway

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
delphino is too broken for d3, mk also does pretty good there, better as cp.
not sure about other characters.

2/4 transformations have walls on ps1 for D3.

5 stages for me.
delfino definitely shouldn't be considered one of the neutrals with the walkoffs. just leave it at 5 stages with stage striking. you dont want the process to take too long anyway
I understand, and I'll add your votes... but again, keep in mind that you will know your opponent's character beforehand, and you don't have to EVER play against DDD on Delfino for random... ever. Same thing with PS1...

time reasons, I can understand... but honestly, don't like the stage? strike it.

Anyways, I'll add your votes, just wanted to put in my $0.02

Toneh

Smash Lord
hmm maybe, but that forces every chain grab character to waste bans on delphino and ps1 against d3, where the d3 player get to ban stages by preference. Not sure of other examples.
Kind of like sticking in rainbow or frigate and alot of characters are gonna be forced to ban it anyway.

Masky

Smash Master
RedHalberd's vote shouldn't count because he won't be attending

-!-

Smash Lord
2 people, especially 2 people who rarely place top ten, don't have more say than the rest of the FL smash community.

If stage striking wins the poll, tournaments should use it with the option to random if both players say yes.
I never said It "HAS" to be what I said. I was simply giving my opinion... Random seems to work for me but if the standard becomes Striking method then I will get used to it since I don't make the rules., the TO has the last word. I just don't get why you have to be an *** about it. I know that the result of the poll will be whats gonna be used. I just gave my opinion like any other would.

anyways, for stages. my vote would go with the Big 5, since having 3, to me, seems pointless doing the striking method with just 3 stages. and then having 7 stages, i don't think the extra two would be much "neutral" imo delfino and PS1 are more for counter picks.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
I'll vote for stage striking IF and only IF there are 7 starter stages.

FYI: In using stage striking they are called starter, not neutral stages lolz.

-L-

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
why not just leave it to random, and if both players accept doing the stage striking method then so be it... hitting random has been working for.... years... I'm against the stage striking method... even though for some reason it will end up being either Battlefield or Smashville which I'm comfortable with.... I just prefer going with luck then, in a way, always playing one out of the two most common stages that end up being played.

and is lylat still on CP and Yoshis on Neutrals or whats the deal???
I'm not trying to be an *** and insult you, but the tone I got from this post says "Random is the best because we've been using it since the beginning and I don't want to try new ideas because they might be worse for me."

I don't care about what's worse for you; I don't care what's worse for me. I care about what is best for everyone, not just one or two people.(Not directed at anyone specifically.)

If that's not what you meant(which even if it is, I'm sure you're going to say it wasn't) then you shouldn't worry about what I said. If you were voicing your opinion, a simple "Random has been working. I think random should be the way to go" would have worked much better.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'd like Option B, please. 3 stages is too little, and PS1 and Delfino Plaza are not neutral enough to be starters.

Now, as for a ride over here...

:069:

-!-

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to be an *** and insult you, but the tone I got from this post says "Random is the best because we've been using it since the beginning and I don't want to try new ideas because they might be worse for me."

I don't care about what's worse for you; I don't care what's worse for me. I care about what is best for everyone, not just one or two people.(Not directed at anyone specifically.)

If that's not what you meant(which even if it is, I'm sure you're going to say it wasn't) then you shouldn't worry about what I said. If you were voicing your opinion, a simple "Random has been working. I think random should be the way to go" would have worked much better.
Now that I Re-Read my post... I don't get how you would think it translates to what you said... all I said was:

1. a suggestion,
2. my vote on the poll and
3. the reason for my vote (like anyone else)

seems to me you read my post the way you wanted it :confused:

and if you re-read it you will see that I'm comfortable with stage striking cuz it usually ends on Battlefield or Smashville... not that "I don't want to try new ideas because they might be worse for me."

Anyways....

I know what I ment, if "others" saw it another way (though you where solely the only one to complain about it) well w/e as long as I know I'm not trying to decide for everyone its cool with me. As i have mentioned before, stage striking is ok with me since 70%-80% of the time it will fall under either Battlefield (personal Fav.) or Smashville which is perfectly fine with me :) I just feel comfortable with random cuz im used to it, stage striking is different and new... I will get used to it eventually if it becomes standard and looks like it will be better for me regardless if I "ment" this or not. Xb

-!-

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Ok so I can see where this is going, so I'm just going to cap both votes, I think.

We are going with the stage striking system and 5 neutrals for this.

I'll type up a little rule list for this system later, and advise Gigs to put it on the first post.

-!-

Smash Lord
Ok so I can see where this is going, so I'm just going to cap both votes, I think.

We are going with the stage striking system and 5 neutrals for this.

I'll type up a little rule list for this system later, and advise Gigs to put it on the first post.
Nice, nice. looks good to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom