• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8/18 C3 Presents the August Adios Tournament. SSBM singles/doubles

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Lobos, can I get a ride with you to the lock in? I'll bring my Wii Mote + Nunchuk for some Strikers 2v2. Yeaaaaahuhz!

EDIT: RENEGADE! I left my red&blue comforter there from last C3. Would it happen to still be there?

Velocity

Smash Lord
Sup guys. sorry about the delay, i've been moving to herndon and without the intarwebs. Just to let you know, the lock in will start at 9pm and will have a 20$ poker tourney.

ALSO

singles will have pools.

There will be a break between teams and singles.

Smash will have a minimum of 6 tvs for the lock in and tourney.

Thank you come again.
such good newsd

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I officially need a ride to this, with officially a second person coming officially with me. Officially. We can ride with whoever is giving Omni a ride, we can even get up to Bowie if we have to, because Omni is too good.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
good **** renegade.

boss, dont post your accomplishments on the board when they arent asked for, we dont really care, to be honest.

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
Grudge?

good **** renegade.

boss, dont post your accomplishments on the bored when they arent asked for, we dont really care, to be honest.
I mean I agree with you and **** but
"****...That was Harsh"!​

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i should be going to the lockin.

i should also be getting completely smashed at the lockin.

ill bring the drank.

whos down?

edit: i can be paid back in cash or certain herbal remedies

Omni

BRoomer
i should be going to the lockin.

i should also be getting completely smashed at the lockin.

ill bring the drank.

whos down?

edit: i can be paid back in cash or certain herbal remedies
even tho my gf is out of town, i probably shouldn't drink. i wanna be sober for the poker tournament and i've been told i express my feelings freely while under the influence.

Lobos: word. don't wanna go 30 minutes in the opposite direction, i see. lol, jk :laugh:

i still need a ride. i get off work at 5:00pm tomorrow. is there anyone that can pick me up at any given metro station so that i can:

a.) meet you near the C3 to get picked up or
b.) meet you near your place before you leave for the lock in

i provide good gas money. approximately a thousand dolla cash mahnay.

*repeat* RENEGADE. just in case you don't read the other post, did you happen to find a red and blue comforter left at the C3 from the last lock-in? btw, thanks for everything up to now. even with my mishap at the last C3, i'm glad you at least investigated the issue and apologized for the inconvience. respect.

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
*repeat* RENEGADE. just in case you don't read the other post, did you happen to find a red and blue comforter left at the C3 from the last lock-in? btw, thanks for everything up to now. even with my mishap at the last C3, i'm glad you at least investigated the issue and apologized for the inconvience. respect.
I haven't been to C3 since the last tourney. I can call david, but honestly, if it's there, it'll be there when you show up. If not, it hasn't been there since last tourney.

The history with such things is that they stick around till someone claims them... unless they are liable to walk away easy (games, controllers, etc). I don't think someone would accidentally walk out with a comforter. Or would want to steal one... ewww.

Omni

BRoomer
Sweeeeet. Old comforters = so goood.

*Continuation of FF7*

How can you forget the mind-puzzling labrynith temple of the Ancients and the amazing music that kept you wanting to find your way in/out, or the sense of hopelessness when Cloud falls into a coma forcing you to take the role of Tifa to find a way to cure what was once yourself, or the sweet bliss of entering the Golden Saucer that made your stomach rise with glee when thinking about playing the Snowboard Balloon/Motorcycle Chase/Chocobo Race games, or the amazingly well-structured procedure to getting Yuffie that 9/10 would leave the player gil-less by unforseen mistakes such as going to the Save Point, checking your Menu, and even "getting Yuffie to join" and during the attempt to name her only to find she vanishes with your gil while you were busy, or the feeling of frustration, pain, and failure from Cid after almost fufilling his lifetime dream of going into space becomes shot down thinks to a critical and easily avoidable mistake done by his young female assistant.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
If by "stomach rise with glee" you're implying vomiting, I can relate to that. <_< Not a big fan of the minigames. FF7 by itself was amazing. Not as good as FF6, but it was still great. FFT is great as well, for that matter. I can't wait for the PsP version to finally get released here - it's not too far off, if I remember correctly.

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
Sweeeeet. Old comforters = so goood.

*Continuation of FF7*

How can you forget the mind-puzzling labrynith temple of the Ancients and the amazing music that kept you wanting to find your way in/out, or the sense of hopelessness when Cloud falls into a coma forcing you to take the role of Tifa to find a way to cure what was once yourself, or the sweet bliss of entering the Golden Saucer that made your stomach rise with glee when thinking about playing the Snowboard Balloon/Motorcycle Chase/Chocobo Race games, or the amazingly well-structured procedure to getting Yuffie that 9/10 would leave the player gil-less by unforseen mistakes such as going to the Save Point, checking your Menu, and even "getting Yuffie to join" and during the attempt to name her only to find she vanishes with your gil while you were busy, or the feeling of frustration, pain, and failure from Cid after almost fufilling his lifetime dream of going into space becomes shot down thinks to a critical and easily avoidable mistake done by his young female assistant.

This guy actually continued the seminar...wow...

Omni has that dedication we should all learn from (aha)​

Velocity

Smash Lord
even tho my gf is out of town, i probably shouldn't drink. i wanna be sober for the poker tournament and i've been told i express my feelings freely while under the influence.

gf outa town, express's feelings freely drunk; your just worried about getting to friendly with all the other smashers :laugh:

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
Final Fantasy rant

Ok. I'm going to drop the hammer on this one. Being that I'm 26 years old, I've played, enjoyed, and beat every Final Fantasy on release in the order of release (with obvious exceptions of Japan 2,3,5). It's really hard to rank them, but I'll give my thoughts.

Final Fantasy I- Defined a genre. Dragon Quest Preceded it, but final fantasy really brought the epic multi character quest to the NES. Also being able to customize your party and the class up system really increased its longevity. Most of the downsides were system/presentation driven.... i.e. slow walk speeds, attacks missing if enemy dies (although that made it harder), etc.

Final Fantasy IV- Truly a great game. When looking back, it's also the most limited as far as party options and battle system. Every character had a set path and team role. You also never got to choose your party. While that may make the battles boring, it made the actual game very interesting, plot-wise. Too many characters can really drag down a plot. Really annoying b/c it "fake deathed" so many characters. Rydia, yang, cid, palom, and porom all "die" only to come back to life later. Only old tellah and FuSoYa truly bite it.

Final Fantasy VI- Truly Epic. Probably the most beautiful hand drawn game of all time. Tons of characters, plenty of customizing, epic storyline, and a world changing event 50% through the game. Although that being said, it still isn't even the best RPG on the SNES. That belongs to Chrono Trigger. Downsides include too many throw away characters (gogo, realm, strago, umaro, gau), and that with espers, many characters became exactly the same minus one command. This will be a continuing trend in Final Fantasies. Also that the game never really PICKS a main character. Alot of people just go with Terra for WoB and Celes for WoR, but Terra's plot/backstory really picks up in WoR while Celes is just the person you move around the screen. I do applaud the game in that you really get to know and like many of the characters. Sabin/Edgar, Cyan, Locke, and Setzer are all really well developed. Kefka is also the best FF villian, with Seymour right behind him. Reason being is that they are both very well developed as characters, and as adversaries. More on seymour later.

Final Fantasy VII- Oh boy. This game obviously is truly epic. It really starts to get the technology/fantasy blend right that really makes Final Fantasy tick. When the game first came out, people were like "wha... dude with a gun? how is that an RPG?" but it works. Truly epic existential plot. Yuffie/Cid/Vincent are just kinda around, and cait sith should just be deleted from the game. The main plot is the Aeris/Cloud/Tifa triangle and with Barrett as the buddy cop guy.
Which brings me to this... it's REALLY hard to develop a 'love triangle' sideplot... when THE MAIN CHARACTER DOESN'T REALLY TALK. Square compounded on this mistake in FF8. Also, while Sephiroth is really cool, it's seems his villiany is built up in a Boba Fett manner... the less we see of him, the more evil he is. My memory may be rusty, but aside from killing Aeri we really don't see sephiroth outside of flashbacks and short run ins.
Whateves. Main complaints of this game is mainly that of the hardware. PS1 is so bad. People made games in 3D just to do 3d... when 2d was still superior. This is the main fault of FFVII. WHile the pre rendered backgrounds are beautiful, they are lifeless. The models are chunky and blocky. It's just really hard to go back to.
Bonus point for Sephiroth, he established the over the top special attack that destroys the universe but leaves you alive somehow. Supernova can't really be topped in concept... ever.

Final Fantasy VIII-
You know, this game was awesome.

Until Squall lived from that ice spike in his chest. If he had died there, I'd probably venture to say that this could have been the best Final Fantasy. Discs 3 and 4 were complete ****, especially 4. Alternate dimension nonsense and world ending rubbish. The most interesting characters are the least developed or are not the main focus, Laguna, Quistis, and Irvine. Selphie is the bane of my existence, and zell is annoying too. Siefer is a good foil until later when the game turns him into comic relief. Sad really. The assault of the Military Garden at the end of Disc 1 is among the most brilliant moments in RPG history. I replayed it several times just b/c how awesome it is.
And Quistis is way hotter than Rinoa. Better in bed too.

Final Fantasy IX
Very underrated, and has the best single character development in all of Final Fantasy: Vivi. That sole plot alone is what makes this game. Too bad this game also has one of the highest percentages of throwaway characters of any game to date: Quina, the summoner girl, and the red haired guy (so useless I forgot their names) are quite unessential to the plot.
Bonus, Zidane has a personality, and i think is a big springboard for Tidus in FFX.

Ending sequence is lame... how many times do we have to fight something previously unbeknowst to everyone that wishes to destroy the universe? Jesus.
I call this thing: Zeromus 2.

Final Fantasy X
It's hard for me to say this, because this FF has its flaws... but this is the best final fantasy to date. One word: Spira. The world of Spira is so well developed, you feel like you could hop on a plane and go there. The Yevon religion, blitzball, the constant fear of Sin, etc. This is mixed in with Yuna's journey, and Tidus' emotional struggles with his father. Seymour plays such a brilliant foil in this game I can't begin to describe. Because at times you feel he is unassailible. Because he has played the political game perfectly against you, of course. And you fight him several times throughout the game (even fight WITH him once).
While Tidus and Yuna have pretty annoying VA's, the supporting cast is amazing. Wakka, Lulu, and Auron are amazing. Rikku and Kimarhi are around, but do not detract.
Great that the game has a set villian and reasonable ending (no universe ending shenaniagans)
Cons: HALLWAY ITIS... the games linearity is a main focal point of detraction. You're outside... but in a hallway???? obviously a technological limitation.

Final Fantasy XII
One word: Balthier. He's too good. He's the Han Solo of FF. The world of Ivalice is perfect, everything just feels right. Rabanastre is amazing. Battle system is modern and sleek, and is where RPG's need to go. Vaan and Penelo are the most throwaway main characters to date, you don't even know why they're there. FFXII is really Ashe's story, told through Vaan's eyes. CG sequences are amazing, and I like that there is no UBER UNIVERSE DESTROYING VILLIAN in the end.

btw FFT owns all... but needs more streamlined menus.

So I guess
S class- FFX
A+ Class- FFVI/FFT
A Class- FFVII
B Class FFIX/FFIV/FFXII/ FF
C Class FFXIII

Wow... I didn't mean to write that much.

Nice!

g-regulate

Smash Hero
what do you mean cid is just "around"? he gives them the gosh darn airship smokes jacks swears and ****s people up with his spear. not to mention the spousal abuse

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I have a certain friend who's your stereotypical FFVII fanatic. To him, 7 is the end all and be all of RPGs. He likes Tactics as well, but considers it separate from Final Fantasy. He hates every other Final Fantasy game because it isn't 7. He ESPECIALLY doesn't like X, for some reason I have never quite understood. I, personally, loved it. Spira WAS incredibly well developed. I loved the music, too; it was probably the only game that I ever listened to the soundtrack and said, "Wow, this was done really well." It also had this incredible amount of extra material that you could conquer, and it wasn't chocobo related! Well, for the most part. I loved how challenging some of the bosses were - I covered the entire sphere grid with my entire party, and I STILL have troubles against some of the stronger optional bosses. Only problem was that these super powerful bosses didn't have any storyline at all around them. They were just bred by some crazy old geezer using a bunch of other monsters that you gave to him. I wish they released the International addition here - it doesn't make sense, since it's supposed to be international, and it added even more and harder bosses! Yay~ I ended up logging over 500 hours on this game, accidentally deleted it, then logged another 600 hours on it playing through it again. Too good.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Smash
Boards
?​
So What? lolz....

I must give a quick word From My 4 Most Played FF Games....

FF7-My First RPG I was seven...I learned some words but didnt understand for like 3 years what $#!& meant....I also STILL Dont understand Why Barrett was the Stereotypical Black Guy...Curses....Punching Bag...Love for White Women...When Aeris Died had to be the Funniest Moment of 97'...It ws REALLY RANDOM....I hated the Weapons Cuz they were so Hard to beat....And was there a Gay Guy WHo enjoyed Bathing w/ Cloud? I think I remember somthing to that effect...Rufus Was and still is a G. Reno and Rude....TOO Funny...Elena...KNocked me out in the Iceland Area...and Cloud...WHy can he do EVERYTHING MOTORCYLE...SNOWBOARD...Weild a Greatsword w/ one hand? Be Fine THen Retarted and COme back an Kill a Monster all in one day? Hes too Good...Sephiroth....Scariest Theme of 97' SEPH-I-ROTH.....Too many Cheap attacks...Abilities...Brain Tumors...Nanaki Coolest dog thingy ever...lolz

FF8-They Really stepped it up on this one. Probably the 1st thing everyone noticed was the sound of Squalls shoes walking down the hall...I found out the Secret of Ultima and GF Junctioning...*HINT* Ultemicia was...Cheap...Seifer was Smokin SOmthin....Fujin...EMO...Raijin...Ditzy Y'know?
Squall was too funny...Needed a Psychaitrist...Quistis was a Molester (tryin to have a relation ship with Squall) Rinoa Had THE DUMBEST WEAPON...Irvine..Micheal Jackson...Selphie....DIe....Zell Had a finny last name for someone in this game Dincht? Seriously??? IFRIT I SAW THE PUBS NOT FLATTERING!!!

FFT- The one game where EVERYONE ELSE but the Main Charcter can get Kick*** moves...Well Ramza did get some Good stuff @ the end (Ultima) Hardest Battle?? One word Velius...What was he a Sheep? a 4 armes SHeep Are you serious??? GOod Story Good Gameplay EVIL SUMMONS....Orlandu PWNS....

FF12-Balflear.......Final Fantasy Capn Jack? More @ 11'...It WAS nice to see MOntblanc...THe Missions seemed harder than the Bosses....Fran...lolz Put on some Clothes Kids are playin this!!!

Omni

BRoomer
gf outa town, express's feelings freely drunk; your just worried about getting to friendly with all the other smashers :laugh:
cactuar will take advantage of my inability to reason. I MUST NOT FALTER!

Renegade:

FF7 - Yeah, Cloud doesn't talk much, but that's 'cuz he's like... super emo. Somehow because he's this victim of Shinra and SOLDIER and his hometown was destroyed by Sephiroth, etc. etc., he doesn't need to talk because his personality is based off that background + the other characters feelings towards him. </sarcasm> It was hella' annoying especially since Aeris and Tifa were SOOOOO interested in this guy. Which brings me to my next point.

FF9 - SOOOOO ****ing underrated. Zidane is my favorite character in the Final Fantasy series right next to Vivi. Who wouldn't want to be a clever and witty thief/womanizer with a tail that can basically turn SSJ? Not to mention his personality isn't straight-forward. Vivi's background and concept is amazing. Existing knowing that you're not suppose to exist, or that your existence can come to an end unexpectantly? Watching mindless prototypes of yourself fight for the complete opposite of a standpoint in a war when your reasoning for your own position doesn't add up; it just is. I mean... amazing. Quina and the red-headed guy sucked, but everyone else was cool. Dagger (I forget her real name) was probably the best heroine. Freya was suprsingly cool (cuz she can riverdance and ****).

I -really- wanna' talk about Final Fantasy Tactics because... it's amazing, but G-Reg is still playing so no spoilers. Ramza and Delita are sweet tho'.

AND I STILL NEED A RIDE ****IT! Someone pick me up from the closest metro station near the tournament, or let me come to the nearest metro station near their place after I get off work for tomorrow.

*Edit*

Sephiroth burns an entire village with the cool fade away in the fire scene, does 9999 damage to ****s while he's teaming with Cloud, in one of the cut scenes ****s Cloud up with his sword by stabbing it through him, destroys Midgard, summons a ****ing spirit bomb on the planet, plants Jenova ****s all over the place (or was that Hojo), and then finally kills Aeris. He's not the kind of bad guy where he comes and causes problem, the hero saves the day, and he run saying "Curses! I'll get you next time." Instead, he does what a true evil bad guy should do and makes everyone else do the work for him while he does all the important stuff himself.

Repryx

Smash Champion
I -really- wanna' talk about Final Fantasy Tactics because... it's amazing, but G-Reg is still playing so no spoilers. Ramza and Delita are sweet tho'.
G-Reg DOnt Fight Velius DONT Im Warning you!!!! Hey Omni How Many tries did it take to beat that fight?

Omni

BRoomer
****it, why doesn't this place show up on the metro planner? i can't find the nearest metro station. does anyone know which is the closest and how far it is from the venue?

and is it possible i can meet someone at a metro station of their choosing for a ride to the lock in tomorrow. i get on the silver spring station at 5:00 so someone let me know

Repryx

Smash Champion
Dude the Nearest station is like near Chus Place or Shady Grove....In other Words a Ride is Required...If you find one Let me know....It isnt accessable by metro

Edit Dang you are goin to the Lock in NVM I gotta find a Different way then...

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Anyway, I'm posting my opinion, don't **** with it LOL.

FF3 > FFX > FTT (FTTA!) > FF7

I mean I loved FF7, but has anyone played tactics advanced? for gba? I've logged 100+ hours into a GBA GAME, I even wrote a FAQ for Gfaqs =P

Repryx

Smash Champion
FFTA Sucked....THe Judges? The only good thing was the combo system and Multiplayer and Even the COmbo System Sucked because of the Judges...FFTA Did not live up to FFT....The Story was okay though. Also The Fight animations were EXTRMELY WATERED DOWN...as well as th Dying voice overs....Give Me 5 Reason this game was so good...ANd Ill see where your wrong...

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
FFTA Sucked....THe Judges? The only good thing was the combo system and Multiplayer and Even the COmbo System Sucked because of the Judges...FFTA Did not live up to FFT....The Story was okay though. Also The Fight animations were EXTRMELY WATERED DOWN...as well as th Dying voice overs....Give Me 5 Reason this game was so good...ANd Ill see where your wrong...
Well.

1. It's a freaking GBA game, son, it only gets so in depth.
2. Animations watered down? 32 Bit =/= PS1 Processing power.
3. Amazingly indepth for it's kind, story <3
4. Relatively large amount of jobs.
5. 300 Missions, over 100 actually being a battle.

You suck for hating on quite possibly one of the best Game Boy games ever. Good ****.

blues

Smash Journeyman
What about Earthbound or Chrono Trigger, SNES RPG'S FTW =P
and does anyone want to team with blues?

Repryx

Smash Champion
Well.

1. It's a freaking GBA game, son, it only gets so in depth.
2. Animations watered down? 32 Bit =/= PS1 Processing power.
3. Amazingly indepth for it's kind, story <3
4. Relatively large amount of jobs.
5. 300 Missions, over 100 actually being a battle.

You suck for hating on quite possibly one of the best Game Boy games ever. Good ****.
1.Its a GBA game.....Nice Try but....
2.WHen I say Watered down I mean I.E It Looks Like THeir Wacking each other w/ the swords as opposed to cutting....THey can do better Compare the two

3. Ritz is a Punk

4. It Split the Jobs up unlike in FFT

5.YOu cant get Anyone out of the missions until after you beat the game

6. What did you think of the judge system?

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Final Fantasy IV - My first RPG, my first Final Fantasy. Good story, although Zemus comes out of nowhere. First game I played where I felt something for the characters; it also helped me learn how to speed read, and upped my vocabulary a bit (I was still in grade school at that point).

Never did find a pink tail though; only ran into the pink puffs once, in a completely random encounter (I had no idea what was going on until I read about them later).

Final Fantasy VI - 2D RPG masterpiece. Great music, great story, and the best villian in the series.

The story borrows a lot from Star Wars in the beginning - an oppressive regime, the only hope being a person who can use a forgotten power, "Aren't you a little short to be an Imperial soldier?", etc. It's like an old favorite movie that I enjoy playing again and again.

Sephiroth cannot compare to Kefka in terms of pure evilness. Kefka isn't some guy seeking to be the last of his kind, or the great evil from the beyond, or a puppet being controlled - he's just an evil son of a ***** who will do anything to gain more power.

Speaking of great villians, remember Ultros? Still one of the best sub-villians ever. Let's not forget the awesome characters as well, like Locke, Shadow, Sabin and Edgar (broken at the start), Terra, Celes, etc.

The esper system took away from each character's uniqueness a bit, but I like this for the fact that you can make your party how you want, and choose your favorite characters are not worry too much about a missing trait for the most part (beyond class-specific skills like steal). Aside from some brokenness (economizers, quick, genji glove for a power hitter, etc), the gameplay was still fun to take part of.

The Opera scene still stands as one of my most favored scenarios in an RPG (or videogame, for that matter) ever.

Final Fantasy VII - This might be the biggest time-sink of my life. I got bored one week, and decided to level up all my characters to 99 on the first CD, with the most limit breaks at that point (Cloud has Omnislash, Aeris has Great Gospel).

I played this game to death, and loved the storyline. Cloud's redemption was quite an epic scene; it might be the most epic gaming scene ever.

The music once again shines through; moody places had music that made you feel bad, and characters and villians had awesome theme songs (The Turks, Cid, Tifa, Aeris, Cloud, Sephiroth).

Sephiroth was a great villian. Killing Aeris was probably the most evil thing ever; so much emotional investment :(

Bonus points for the mini-games - especially the snow boarding one, the *****-slap contest, the bike race, and especially the defense of the phoenix hatchling game.

I'd still have to give the nod to FF6 though; it's less emo-y and sci-fi and more of a steam-punk fantasy.

Final Fantasy VIII - sucked.

Final Fantasy IX - One of the best RPGs released on the PSOne, completely underrated. A great throwback to the RPG days of before. The only problem is that some of the characters suck.

Final Fantasy X - Good story, good game. Not as fun as the previous titles though, but the Sphere Grid system was pretty tight.

FF XII - Still playing.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Oh, and FFTA is pretty cool, but there are certain broken jobs that make the game too easy. Assasins and thieves are broken, as are Sage/Illusionists who can also equip a third set of skills. Or even just fielding a thief to steal all abilities and create a super character.

Get a summoner/assasin mix with the archer 100% hit support skill (Concentrate) and Nightmare skill, a ninja with dispel, and a thief with steal ability and you're on easy street.

In a fight, just put out the thief/[summoner/assasin]/ninja team. Assasin uses nightmare to sleep/doom the enemy (which hits due to Concentrate), Ninja uses Dispel to remove the Doom countdown but keep the enemy asleep. Now you get the thief to start stealing abilities 100%.

Top Bottom