• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6 aethers in a row = no grabbing edge

Gishnak

Smash Ace
My buddy was fooling around in cruel brawl, and kept up+Bing at the edge with ike to rack up kills. He noticed something interesting. If you drop down and up b 5 times in a row, the 6th try Ike won't grab the edge and fall straight down. O.o

This must've been some attempt to prevent Ike from camping the edge by developers. Just thought I'd share this discovery.
Has anyone found this? I couldn't find any information regarding this.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Yes it's well known, but why would you ever use aether 6 times freely and
a) never make it back on your feet
or
b) be hit (that resets the count)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yes it's well known, but why would you ever use aether 6 times freely and
a) never make it back on your feet
or
b) be hit (that resets the count)
It's cruel brawl, you kinda don't want to be in any of those positions lol.

I didn't know this though `.`;

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
Lol wow I never knew that. No wonder I could never grab on to the edge all the time. It seems reasonable that the developers would put something like that in there.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
This is news to me. Although I don't really Aether camp more than once or twice in a row, there are questions to answer:
1) Does simply dropping and jumping reset it?
2) Does Quick Drawing reset it?

XACE-K

Smash Master
I knew about it before.

This is news to me. Although I don't really Aether camp more than once or twice in a row, there are questions to answer:
1) Does simply dropping and jumping reset it?
2) Does Quick Drawing reset it?
To answer you're question, using Aether 6 times in a row would make you fall. If you grab the ledge by using QD or by jumping, I think it'll reset it.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
news to me as well (because I never tried aethering 6 times in a row) does this happen to others? because I've heard people complaining about a metaknight who just shuttle loops at the ledge.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Yeah, and Ryko said the same thing about "everyone knows that". Sorry I'm not everyone, k? k

edit: To clarify, before you say anything, he said it was "well known", which is almost equivalent to what you said. >_>

Akashi

Smash Lord
But once again, I'm not everyone. How do you know what someone knows over the internet lol? Anyways, tethering the stage multiple times is a part of stalling, so I mentioned it. My bad that you knew it, o woe is me for bringing it up.

Erm, gonna stop derailing the thread now.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Big thread for not a so big, yet quaint, discovery.

Kudos to the person who "found" this, I suppose...

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
everyone knows that even the moron ptown. I'm talking about ones like metaknights, bowsers, yoshis, and other things people used to stall and edge hog besides the obvious.

I just picked Marth, MK, Bowser and DK and none of them fell through the stage. I also found something else:

Simply Quick Drawing or jumping back to the ledge does not reset the counter, you must land ON the stage itself.

That is all.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Has the metagame slowed down so much we must discover old things once again? You guys are sad....

rofl jk <3 u guys

Anyway yes well known for people that frequented smashboards when the game came out, if you joined later you probably don't know, because it was considered common knowledge and who would Aethers 6 times?

It does not apply to anybody else I believe. For some reason game creators felt Ike's was the only one that was so powerful that they had to prevent it from being used more than 6 times..... yeah wtf?

Remember aether camping on the edge is only for creating space, and know your match ups because if you don't space your aether properly against, say, Marth, he can counter; and another Ike can use a FF fair. So use in moderation.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Then why the developers didn’t attribute a limited stock of arrows to Pit? Or overheating to the laser pistols? They are just as cheap.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, I am glad to know this, sometimes I have a bad habit of trying to edgecamp with Aether, but at least this hasn't happened to me...yet.

I stop usually after the 3rd or 4th Aether just because usually it becomes too predictable for the opponent in a practical match and diminishing returns kind of make it all the more useless.

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
I won an Ike mirror match because of this. Just kept on baiting him to keep aethering.

PCHU

Smash Lord
What exactly is going on here to MAKE him not grab the ledge?
I mean, I've ledgecamped with Wolf (Drop down, DJ, laser, upB, repeat) and he always grabbed the ledge.
And with Marth, drop, DJ, uair, upB.

How is Ike any different, and why?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What exactly is going on here to MAKE him not grab the ledge?
I mean, I've ledgecamped with Wolf (Drop down, DJ, laser, upB, repeat) and he always grabbed the ledge.
And with Marth, drop, DJ, uair, upB.

How is Ike any different, and why?
He fights for his friends?

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
He fights for his friends?
Well, I suppose that is true. Even though he has no friends in Brawl, but that is beside the point.

Does he not grab the ledge sometimes? I thought he did. But generally, I use his side-B for recoveries, so possibly not.

I do however know that Ike cannot grab ladders after Aether.

So, to make you feel better, play three of your friends in Spear Pillar and camp underneath the stage and use either to throw your sword at those above. It will make you feel better.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, I suppose that is true. Even though he has no friends in Brawl, but that is beside the point.

Does he not grab the ledge sometimes? I thought he did. But generally, I use his side-B for recoveries, so possibly not.

I do however know that Ike cannot grab ladders after Aether.

So, to make you feel better, play three of your friends in Spear Pillar and camp underneath the stage and use either to throw your sword at those above. It will make you feel better.
But...but...what about his girlfriend Marth...a...?! *takes cover from all the Marth Fanboys/girls*

Anyway I am not sure, I haven't done any tests on this but if people are saying it can happen it is something to look at/worry about for me.

PCHU

Smash Lord
But...but...what about his girlfriend Marth...a...?! *takes cover from all the Marth Fanboys/girls*

Anyway I am not sure, I haven't done any tests on this but if people are saying it can happen it is something to look at/worry about for me.
I shall slay thee, as I am a Marth main.

But seriously, WHAT THE CRAP about this?
It's insane.

BTW, it happened to my friend yesterday.
I must have teh_p$y(|-|1C $|<1|_|_Z (Psychic skills), because somehow I saw it coming.
And so I taunted.

Happened to him twice, and it was just random.
He was right by the ledge as well.

Shike

Smash Rookie
Never really noticed. This is a cool find. Im going to trick friends with this lol.

3xSwords

Smash Lord

You really should not be talking.

And to respond as to why it happens PCHU, it just does. Programmers made it that way, and nobody else is vulnerable to it.

It was probably one of those things they just put in to see how effective it would be and forgot to delete it, b/c of the stress from the deadline, like tripping.

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure this affects Kirby's Final Cutter as well.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure this affects Kirby's Final Cutter as well.
PFFFT, yeah right.
Sakurai wouldn't let anything bad happen to his fat, pink balloon he calls his child.
Even worse, he's a STRONG balloon.
Last I checked, balloons couldn't kill you at 60% with a fsmash, or even DO a fsmash.

Top Bottom