• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4th Gen or 5th Gen, The Final Debate

Wrath`

Smash Master
It's been almost six months since 5th Gen hit our competitive scene and with it came many new Pokemon,moves,abilities and items. Now many of us were competitive during the 4th gen era, myself included, but what is it about the 4th Gen that you guys seem to like so much better than 5th Gen?

Is it variety of viable Pokemon? I wouldn't think it could be as it seems you see more different types of Pokemon running around OU and not the standard oh it's Blissy, oh it's Scizor oh its Hetran oh it's (you get the point).

Is it the team preview? Easily handled with DW that has no preview.

I just do not understand why many of our former competitive players are falling into I refuse to learn a new metagame cause this one sucks category.

I just want to know the truth behind why you love or hate 4th/5th gen Pokemon.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I really don't mind either Generation, since I play in the lower tiers exclusively anyway.

Team Preview is kinda annoying, since I don't play in Dream World often (unless Smogon establishes UU sometime soon), and just the sheer number of...stuff is still slightly overwhelming. Of course, I don't have to get annoyed about weather since they don't exist in the lower tiers, so.

But remember that all competitive skill I have is moot.

Enzo

Smash Lord
I think 5th gen is much better than 4th gen
1. WAY more variability like seriously gen 4 was about hran,scizor, skarm, bliss, azelf/aero, starmie,infernape etc.
It wouldn't be like WTF to see an UU used OU, but more or less it would in gen 4
2. with mence and chomp banned stall has become redunculous in gen, only pokemon that can all-around beat skarmbliss consistently is infernape

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I used to think team preview was just kind of meh, like a new Pokemon you have to deal with. After actually playing gen V a bit, I've found team preview gives an enormous advantage to Pokemon who aren't predictable, and I don't like it. Of course, you can say you can exploit it an run Choice Band Doryuuzu or something. But then you're diving into the world of gimmick Pokemon, which rely on the surprise factor, which you have anyways just by switching in that Dory.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Team preview is pretty much useless in Ubers because you won't know what kind of Arceus they have.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
5>4

because I like having new toys to play with. I wouldn't want to make a team that's prepared for everything, it's more fun to play with surprise tactics anyway, and having a closet full of powertools isn't as fun as having a whole garage full of them.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I have lots of reasons but my main gripe with Gen 5 is the dominance of weather. Don't have time to go into a long detailed post. Maybe later tonight... after the All Star game of course. :)

JOE!

Smash Hero
it's because gen 4 is older and people are nostalgia-*****s

happens with every series ever

ss118

Smash Master
I think Gen 5 has the potential to be the best generation of them all.

atm, I would say 4>5, though. At least in gen 4 you have to create a smart style of offense to beat stall, and stall was viable. Don't even joke and say stall is currently viable atm. The only times people can use it is because people on PO suck.

D

Deleted member

I think 5th gen is much better than 4th gen
1. WAY more variability like seriously gen 4 was about hran,scizor, skarm, bliss, azelf/aero, starmie,infernape etc.
It wouldn't be like WTF to see an UU used OU, but more or less it would in gen 4
2. with mence and chomp banned stall has become redunculous in gen, only pokemon that can all-around beat skarmbliss consistently is infernape
1. To be fair, gen 4 has been MUCH more explored than gen 5 given appropriate time limits. early into any competitive game, option viability is at its maximum before some of those options are made nonviable later. See: Gen 4 Dusknoir.

2. I think that's a result of smogon's poor decision-making and is not part of gen 4 itself. Chomp banned could have gone either way, but banning Mence was obviously a pivotal move towards greatly enabling stall that wasn't really necessary while mence itself was still only #2- #3 in usage statistics.

I have no opinion on which is better, since I haven't tested Gen 5 and have no motivation to.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
ITT: We don't understand "potential"
I understand what potential means just fine but saying something flat out sucks in a huge rant then later saying it has potential are two completely different things.

On the other hand if he wants to clarify by saying the new metagame sucks BUT it has potential, then that's understandable.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
it's because gen 4 is older and people are nostalgia-*****s

happens with every series ever
Hmm. Where have I seen this post before. Go take the time to post something that isn't copypasted from your other two PokeCenter posts calling us nostalgics.

Edit - I don't think nostalgics is a word. Whatever. Anyway, Mow, you're definitely lying about if you think Gen. IV and Gen. V are equal / neutral.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If I'm understandable then why are you asking questions?
Cause I didn't know you were implying that at first.

But honestly I'm still a bit salty over the fact that hardly anybody posted in my thread anymore after your wall of text. Not like it's actually your fault... I'm just bitter. :(

JOE!

Smash Hero
Tery, I used to be here all the time, lol

anywho, I see the same scenario wayyy too often and it is almost allways that case: nostalgia goggles on too tight until soemthing new comes out and the topic at hand is now "nostalgic"

so I just say that whenever the chance arises to vent :p

D

Deleted member

Hmm. Where have I seen this post before. Go take the time to post something that isn't copypasted from your other two PokeCenter posts calling us nostalgics.

Edit - I don't think nostalgics is a word. Whatever. Anyway, Mow, you're definitely lying about if you think Gen. IV and Gen. V are equal / neutral.
yea basically i'm full of ****. even the idea of playing gen 5 is more repulsive to me than slamming my **** in an oven door.

i just thought i'd be fair and give the gen 5 meat-riders the benefit of the doubt and keep my mouth shut. it's not like they went and did stupid **** like ruined stall completely or made the games super weather based or that the new pokemon are all ******** looking or...

yeah, this is why i stopped last time.

M.K

Level 55
Opinions can't be truth or fiction. That is why they are called opinions. Your opinion is no better or worse than his.

Generation 5 is better for me. I'm sure it will boil down to a select group of Pokemon that are dominant over the years, but meh, I like it as it is now. Generally there is more variability and I actually appreciate the inclusion of the Evolution Stone among many new items.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Opinions can't be truth or fiction. That is why they are called opinions. Your opinion is no better or worse than his.
What?

We were commenting on how Mow's Interview contains a long rant on how Generation V is terrible but recently claimed having no opinion on which Generation is better. I don't have an opinion on anything.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I like Gen 4 better because I don't like change. No matter what I say thats what it comes down to. I don't like DW. I don't like Team Preview. I don't like weather. I don't like Evolution stone. I don't like 88% of the new pokemon.

I notice many people say stall is everywhere in Gen4. I honestly don't see that unless you are past 1350, in which case the people past that rating prefer stall. The whole idea of it is using stall to beat the current metagame, so called an anti-metagame team with defensive pokemon. Once GenV is discovered more Im pretty sure stall is going to be ********ing ridiculous with Evolution stone.

SkarmBliss combo isn't that big of a deal. Taunt Gyarados. Gengar. Lucario. Heatran w/explosion. Toxic Spikes. Strong pursuiters. Jirachi. Tyraniboah....etc. Since when has a metagame had a pokemon(s) that we haven't had to deal with by using a combination of pokemon? Prediction is key. You can't just rely on the pokemon to do the job. Lucario and Gengar have always been a pain in the *** if you didn't have their perfect counters(does gengar HAVE a counter?). The fact is you can't let him in. Same principle with SkarmBliss. You have Scizor locked into Bullet Punch in? Switch out as they switch in. Oh shiz now you got heatran in on that skarm. Sub up and have fun.

5th gen so far has been skillfully depressing. The warstories posted thus far have barely reached into the levels of...whats it called? Its like when you play rock paper scissors and you use rock to beat his scissors and then he uses paper yo beat your rock and then you predict it and use scissors?

Thats what im thinking about right now. Get at meh.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
^if you hate change why didnt you stay with even earlier gens than IV?
Because he probably started with 4.

Durrrr.

Simple reason why I don't like Gen 5 that basically anyone who isn't stupid should be able to understand: many of the things I liked about Gen 4 were made worse or disappeared, and most of what I disliked about Gen 4 was made better and appeared more. So naturally, I'm going to like the Generation with more of the stuff I liked and less of the stuff I disliked. Easy as that.

Also, I find the point on variety moot. My favorite type of metagame involves a relative lack of Pokemon variety, but a large set variety amongst the Pokemon you do see. I don't know if it's changed since I played Gen 5, but at that time I felt like Gen 4 had more of this. And that was really my deciding factor.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
Been playing gen 4 since the beginning, i can't see myself ever wanting to learn anything new :(

Gen 4>5 for me.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
I honestly could go either way. I've played Gen IV for so long that I'm accustomed to it; I could play it forever and still have a good time.
Gen V is fun in a different way, especially w/ auto transforming Ditto and the fact that Shell Break turns Cloyster into a killing machine :). Everything is just very..."hyper-offensive". Everything is crazy powerful, but that makes it kind of exciting.

EDIT: It's just too bad that team preview makes Zoroark kinda-sorta useless...

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing gen IV for about a year now, and I'm super hooked. Game is fun and everything, I plan on playing black and white via smogon dudes this weekend, but some things about gen V kinda bug me like , team preview, no lvl 100 on wifi, pokemon cant follow behind you anymore etc.

But, shouldnt be too bad. and if worse comes to worse, I can always go back to gen IV

Sitien maker

Smash Cadet
Pokemon Black and White is one of the best pokemon games(That 2.5D is awesome)
The only problem is the design,i hate 5th gen pokemons design...

If i should buy one game,4th or 5th gen i will chose 5th gen
But if i think about the new pokemon design i will chose 4th gen

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
This argument about Gen4 being campy and Gen5 being too crazy is the same argument that happened a few years ago when Gen4 was new. People said that Gen3 was too campy and Gen4 was too crazy.

Midnite

Smash Cadet
NNID
AurumMidnite
Meh, I prefer Gen 5 over Gen 4, mainly because Stealth Rock isn't as annoying in 5th gen as it was in 4th gen imo.

EDIT: Didn't see that this was bumped. My bad! >.<

Top Bottom