• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

D

Deleted member

I understand the voting process happened before Greninja's great results occurred. I hope Greninja mains continue to do better so Greninja can raise to the middle of high tier ( where he belongs in my opinion ). Props to you Greninja mains out there.

I also hope :4feroy: gets a raise into the middle tier in the future. Roy is doing much better lately and he has tools to prove himself a high tier ( somewhat good air mobility and a good neutral air which can act as a combo starter ).

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I understand the voting process happened before Greninja's great results occurred. I hope Greninja mains continue to do better so Greninja can raise to the middle of high tier ( where he belongs in my opinion ). Props to you Greninja mains out there.

I also hope :4feroy: gets a raise into the middle tier in the future. Roy is doing much better lately and he has tools to prove himself a high tier ( somewhat good air mobility and a good neutral air which can act as a combo starter ).

Am I missing something here? I do know Das Koopa said he put his vote October before GTX, which I assume was early. In that time frame to now when has Greninja gotten “great results.” Also is it just me, or has besides Greninja Saga and Frosbite technically, has Greninja mains just been attending less because besides Venia in the New York region and Lea occasionally in Japan I believe, I don’t hear much of Greninja

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Going over my thoughts.

* Surprised Mario's still top 10. Ally's season hasn't been that great, and I figured he'd be relegated to 11th at this point.
* Cloud should be 3rd. Until someone is taking ZeRo's space with Cloud, Diddy's still #2.
* I would still vouch Rosalina to be Top 3. But Top 5 is reasonable. S-Tier would be more appropriate, regardless.
* Lucina under Marth. Guessing this is because more people - like MKLeo - place using Marth.
* Pikachu's too high. I guess Esam's still doing good enough in bracket to keep him afloat, but I rarely see anything noteworthy from Pikachu.
* Luigi's FAR too low. Was this because most of Elegant's recent placings came fairly late in the season or what??
* Olimar is too low. Shuton has proven this.
* Why are DK and Bowser only two spaces away from each other? Based on what I last recall, Tweek and Konga have outdone themselves with DK more than Nairo has done with Bowser. LordMix has been inactive, and there hasn't been a "best Bowser" to fill that void in months. But from what I gather, largely to do with DK's placings and his kill percent, he's a tier higher than Bowser.
* Ness is too high. FOW is barely active. Besides Great Gonzales, who is placing with Ness? Lucas is much better.
* Link is too low. T has proven this on more than one occasion.

The good thing is the viability pool in this game is still high. Much of these placings would make more sense if they weren't ordered within tiers. But for the most part, for the examples given above, I believe certain characters should be placed one tier higher than their placing. Or in Bowser's case, one tier lower unless otherwise noted.
Hey hey...

HEY!!!!

Sickest ****ing signature I have seen in the longest.

Holy **** dude, good ****.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Am I missing something here? I do know Das Koopa said he put his vote October before GTX, which I assume was early. In that time frame to now when has Greninja gotten “great results.” Also is it just me, or has besides Greninja Saga and Frosbite technically, has Greninja mains just been attending less because besides Venia in the New York region and Lea occasionally in Japan I believe, I don’t hear much of Greninja
In the last couple weeks of November, Lea made a run at 5th at Umebura 30 (the most stacked Umebura this season reaching B tier on the PGR system), where he beat KEN and Kameme among others, Some won an 81-player tournament in his region (TSC 6) where he conquered mostly poor Greninja matchups, iStudying won a Netherlands regional in Fortuna and got 4th at the slightly larger Tech Republic in Spain before that, Stroder 3-0'd CDK's Fox at got 3rd/56 out Downtown Throwdown 9, and Donquavious got top 16 at Super Famicom.

This is following Salem's victory at the 71-entrant Tipped Off with solo Greninja and wins over Fatality, M2K and Sonido, Stroder's run to 13th at 2GGC West Side Saga in September where he beat Nairo, and a series of top placings by Venia in New York City in the fall season.

As of November 22nd, Greninja was ranked 14th on Das Koopa's rankings:
Bayonetta: 476.5
Cloud: 475.75
Diddy Kong: 377.5
Sheik: 325
Fox: 278
Sonic: 270
Mario: 202.25
Rosalina & Luma: 163
Zero Suit Samus: 163
Mewtwo: 154.5
Ryu: 132.75
Captain Falcon: 122.75
Meta Knight: 101.75
Greninja: 87.25
Peach: 79.25
Pikachu: 78.5
Ness: 75
Luigi: 74.25
Corrin: 73.75
Marth: 70.75
Donkey Kong: 68
Toon Link: 61.75
R.O.B.: 58.25
Lucina: 55
Mega Man: 48.5
Samus: 39
Shulk: 37.5
Villager: 36
Yoshi: 34
Bowser: 32.5
Lucario: 32.25
Lucas: 32
Olimar: 32

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Also, shoutouts to :4fox:for being consistently 7th across all four lists. I both love you and hate you, f***ing silly character lol.

Are there any other instances of this? I can't think of any. I know Robin didn't move for a bit, but I think now that should be different.

Edit: And another note, it just hit me that the majority of the unlockable characters are "mid" tier and lower in this game. The highest ranked unlockable character is Lucina, at 14th, and the next is Duck Hunt at 30th. Duck Hunt and R.O.B. are the only "mid" tier unlockables. The rest are all "low/bottom" tier.

That's a bit sad to think about actually lol. At least in other games, Melee and Brawl in particular, there was some excitement in unlocking the likes of Marth, Falco (for both games), Snake etc.

Admittedly, even Duck Hunt and R.O.B. are still good characters, if just due to how balanced overall the game is, but you catch my drift...

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Corrin still being slept on. Give it a few tier lists ✈✈
I'm not sure how the topmost slot of high tier still qualifies as "being slept on", especially when the general opinion of the community about her has been rapidly trending up over the last several months

unless you're going to tell me you legit think that Corrin is undoubtedly a top tier or some nonsense like that

Rizen

Smash Legend
Does :4samus: have issues holding her back? I'd have thought she'd be at the top of D tier. She's even ranked lower than Robin :/
ezlist

Last edited:

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
Doc should never be above Kirby. I mean yeah Doc could force approaches with pills ane has better power but Kirby has a better recovery, better spacing tools, has more results and representation, and is better offstage. Id even argue Kirby has better range than Doc outside of pills and F-Smash.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Doc should never be above Kirby. I mean yeah Doc could force approaches with pills ane has better power but Kirby has a better recovery, better spacing tools, has more results and representation, and is better offstage. Id even argue Kirby has better range than Doc outside of pills and F-Smash.
Better spacing tools? Where? They’re pretty equal, since they have equivalent moves.

But Kirby doesn’t have Doc’s Usmash, so that holds him back more.

The only real reasons I could see Kirby over Doc is better recovery, crouch prowess, and the advantage state he has. Mike Kirby iirc hasn’t been doing much, and I don’t know who’s doing it for him now. Doc had 2manycooks, but he had too many problems with sonic and other characters.

Kirby is more well-rounded with onstage/offstage, but I think doc has better presence onstage in the neutral because of his fall speed and Usmash.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Hey, I take offense to the first two!
Ok no one cares and please try to make your posts more constructive in the future.

Anyway im seeing the topic of Solo Viability coming up, and bayonetta being the only "true" solo viable character. Do you think that characters like cloud and diddy kong have matchups that are bad enough to require a Counter pick for them in that case?

Last edited:

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
Better spacing tools? Where? They’re pretty equal, since they have equivalent moves.
Doc just has pills for spacing which is a bit slow on startup. Kirby's spacing tools are f-tilt and d-tilt which may have less range but they come out very fast and have low end lag. Kirby overall has more reliable spacing tools.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

But Kirby doesn’t have Doc’s Usmash, so that holds him back more.

The only real reasons I could see Kirby over Doc is better recovery, crouch prowess, and the advantage state he has. Mike Kirby iirc hasn’t been doing much, and I don’t know who’s doing it for him now. Doc had 2manycooks, but he had too many problems with sonic and other characters.

Kirby is more well-rounded with onstage/offstage, but I think doc has better presence onstage in the neutral because of his fall speed and Usmash.
Not really. Doc's usmash is good due to frame data and shield safety, but pretty much everything else is Kirby's favor.

Every normal and aerial Kirby has is safer on shield than what Doc has, with the exception of bair... And Doc's is 1 frame safer. So Kirby's spacing tools are by and large better (especially if you keep in mind that Kirby's ftilt is almost the length of Marth's sword).

Then you have the better recovery, crouch, and advantage state you mentioned. Doc falls faster, but if we're talking about presence in neutral... not only does Kirby have the safer tools, but he's also flat out faster than Doc is.

And then you can't forget disadvantage - besides the recovery, Kirby having multiple jumps means he can escape juggles way more easily than a number of characters. Often, this may put him in another situation that isn't amazing against really heavy pressure (on ledge), but that's better when you haven't taken a million percent in uairs.

Doc's main advantages over Kirby are a projectile, a reflector, and an easier time killing (kill confirm especially). And because of Kirby's whole gimmick, those things don't even hold true in every MU.

EDIT: Oh, results - Kirby has gotten 2 notable results this year at majors. First is last season's Komota vs Ally at Frostbite for 33rd (A-tier, PGR), and second is Poyo's 33rd at BH7 (S-tier, PGR).

EDIT 2: Doc has slightly more airspeed, some of the worst air acceleration in the game, and one mid-air jump. Kirby is tied for 12-15 in air acceleration and has 5. I wouldn't say Doc is more mobile in the air tbh.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Doc just has pills for spacing which is a bit slow on startup. Kirby's spacing tools are f-tilt and d-tilt which may have less range but they come out very fast and have low end lag. Kirby overall has more reliable spacing tools.
so you're going to willfully ignore Bair and Usmash (one of the main reasons doc is above Kirby for spacing) for spacing? what does Kirby have that makes doc's Smash irrelevant? Heck, even Dsmash can be used a strong spacing tool, given it's frame 5 and is pretty strong. Doc is also more mobile in the air too, which is his other main reason why he's above Kirby for spacing.

Ok no one cares and please try to make your posts more constructive in the future.

Anyway im seeing the topic of Solo Viability coming up, and bayonetta being the only "true" solo viable character. Do you think that characters like cloud and diddy kong have matchups that are bad enough to require a Counter pick for them in that case?
I don't, and I don't see how this argument came into existence. This argument could only hold true if the top players were robots and made correct decisions all the time, and were infallible to emotional and mental pressure, cuz then we would be seeing the maximum potential of the characters.

Not really. Doc's usmash is good due to frame data and shield safety, but pretty much everything else is Kirby's favor.

Every normal and aerial Kirby has is safer on shield than what Doc has, with the exception of bair... And Doc's is 1 frame safer. So Kirby's spacing tools are by and large better (especially if you keep in mind that Kirby's ftilt is almost the length of Marth's sword).

Then you have the better recovery, crouch, and advantage state you mentioned. Doc falls faster, but if we're talking about presence in neutral... not only does Kirby have the safer tools, but he's also flat out faster than Doc is.

And then you can't forget disadvantage - besides the recovery, Kirby having multiple jumps means he can escape juggles way more easily than a number of characters. Often, this may put him in another situation that isn't amazing against really heavy pressure (on ledge), but that's better when you haven't taken a million percent in uairs.

Doc's main advantages over Kirby are a projectile, a reflector, and an easier time killing (kill confirm especially). And because of Kirby's whole gimmick, those things don't even hold true in every MU.

EDIT: Oh, results - Kirby has gotten 2 notable results this year at majors. First is last season's Komota vs Ally at Frostbite for 33rd (A-tier, PGR), and second is Poyo's 33rd at BH7 (S-tier, PGR).

EDIT 2: Doc has slightly more airspeed, some of the worst air acceleration in the game, and one mid-air jump. Kirby is tied for 12-15 in air acceleration and has 5. I wouldn't say Doc is more mobile in the air tbh.
Doc Usmash is also amazing for aerial coverage, since it has equivalent invincibility like Mario. Kirby’s sweetspot lasts but for a frame right? And it doesn’t really cover his backside either right?

Doc basically covers everything around him with that move.

And right, technically doc doesn’t really have the edge in mobility, but his fall speed in comparison to the balloon is enough for me to announce his superiority in aerial mobility. He’s less vulnerable than your guy in the air imo ( still vulnerable, but less).

But really, it’s opinion. I feel more agile with doc than Kirby when jumping.

Then again, doc’s slow running speed moved me away from him (took too much getting used to).

Last edited:

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
so you're going to willfully ignore Bair and Usmash (one of the main reasons doc is above Kirby for spacing) for spacing? what does Kirby have that makes doc's Smash irrelevant? Heck, even Dsmash can be used a strong spacing tool, given it's frame 5 and is pretty strong. Doc is also more mobile in the air too, which is his other main reason why he's above Kirby for spacing.
Considered you are spacing with a SH Bair it would take 11 frames, 5 frames from Jumpsquat and the rest from from bair startup, to come out while Kirby's F-tilt comes out at frame 5 and d-tilt comes out at frame 4. Irk about Doc's D-smash being used as a spacing tool tho since I don't really see any Marios/Doctor Marios using it.

Id even argue Kirby has a better time approaching that Doc because at least Kirby has decent mobility on the ground even if it isn't that great. Also Doc may be more mobility than Kirby in the air but his air speed isn't good either and he can't do much with it similar to Kirby.

D

Deleted member

I did not expect :4wiifit:to be in bottom five. Odd.

What makes her bottom five, it it her terrible match up thread or her not being able to do anything that solid? Is it her bad results?

There is one move that wants to have a word with you.
This. This quote supports my statement. This is why Doctor Mario is not bottom five. His back air is very good at edge guarding as well and it does come out fast, though Doctor Mario could strive for better results. If a ton of people play Doctor Mario, I could see him in top of low tier or bottom of mid tier at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Considered you are spacing with a SH Bair it would take 11 frames, 5 frames from Jumpsquat and the rest from from bair startup, to come out while Kirby's F-tilt comes out at frame 5 and d-tilt comes out at frame 4. Irk about Doc's D-smash being used as a spacing tool tho since I don't really see any Marios/Doctor Marios using it.

Id even argue Kirby has a better time approaching that Doc because at least Kirby has decent mobility on the ground even if it isn't that great. Also Doc may be more mobility than Kirby in the air but his air speed isn't good either and he can't do much with it similar to Kirby.
11 Frames is unreactable, and plus he’s in motion, weaving in and out. Kirby is more or less a statue when doing Ftilt, not to mention the limited potential of spacial coverage when doing Ftilt, whereas Doc can use Bair to effectively create a wall of Bairs against his opponents (not saying Kirby can’t either, but we’re discussing Bair vs Ftilt).

Bair is a more versatile tool than Ftilt. Much more.

EDIT: Dsmash not being used is a travesty. Move is a fast as a tilt with KO power. In front of him too.

Approaching with Kirby vs approaching with Doc are both very difficult things to do. I don’t think being slightly better makes for any difference.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Doc Usmash is also amazing for aerial coverage, since it has equivalent invincibility like Mario. Kirby’s sweetspot lasts but for a frame right? And it doesn’t really cover his backside either right?

Doc basically covers everything around him with that move.

And right, technically doc doesn’t really have the edge in mobility, but his fall speed in comparison to the balloon is enough for me to announce his superiority in aerial mobility. He’s less vulnerable than your guy in the air imo ( still vulnerable, but less).

But really, it’s opinion. I feel more agile with doc than Kirby when jumping.

Then again, doc’s slow running speed moved me away from him (took too much getting used to).
Similarly to Mario, however, Doc's usmash is less effective on the front hit, as it has less range and is slower. So I wouldn't praise it for that, exactly.

And I suppose it's a fine opinion to hold, as fallspeed is a very useful trait... But when I think of situation vs situation, if Kirby gets hit by Cloud uair, he can escape to the ledge without taking many more. Doc will just eat the damage until he can eventually escape to ledge or land somehow. That's a difference I apply a lot of value to, personally.

That and being able to stall and fade away in neutral. It's IMO, basically the standard "floaty vs fastfaller" thing where each side has their advantages, but Doc doesn't even fall fast enough to claim the full strength of that side.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I heavily disagree, Doc has a significantly better time in neutral then Kirby against most of the cast.
The doctor's frame data is some of the quickest in the cast, Bair is borderline spamable due it's amazing AC window and short hop height allowing for fast out of shield options such as Up-Smash, Nair, Uair, Bair and Up-B.

Kirby just does not have that kind of flexibility due his lack of quick and diverse coverage that Doc has over him.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I'm also not quite sure why we're comparing a bair and an ftilt. The main reason I mentioned ftilt is to list the spacing tools Kirby has. Doc has usmash and bair. Kirby has dtilt, ftilt, bair (which does much of the same things Doc's does), fair, and reverse uair. And I mention those tools because of range - in terms of safe moves in neutral, you can add jabs, nair, utilt...

And again, all of this is before adding his main gimmick.

Doc definitely has better OOS options, though.

EDIT: Oh, and having a reflector is definitely amazing vs projectile characters.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Similarly to Mario, however, Doc's usmash is less effective on the front hit, as it has less range and is slower. So I wouldn't praise it for that, exactly.

And I suppose it's a fine opinion to hold, as fallspeed is a very useful trait... But when I think of situation vs situation, if Kirby gets hit by Cloud uair, he can escape to the ledge without taking many more. Doc will just eat the damage until he can eventually escape to ledge or land somehow. That's a difference I apply a lot of value to, personally.

That and being able to stall and fade away in neutral. It's IMO, basically the standard "floaty vs fastfaller" thing where each side has their advantages, but Doc doesn't even fall fast enough to claim the full strength of that side.
You’re still in disadvantage when on the ledge.

And against cloud, Kirby is so floaty his range pales in comparison to cloud, that cloud could just follow his movements with practically no risk (save for the kirbycide or whatnot).

But Kirby has a better disadvantage, no argument here.

Doc doesn’t need his Usmash to hit in front of him, and the aerial coverage is still there. Mario’s is a inverse parabola, whereas doc is a upside down V. Like this /\.

That and being able to stall and fade away in neutral.
Elaborate on this. Because if you’re talking about air camping off stage, then You shouldn’t praise that either. Maybe against the worst of recoveries, but not in general.

And you’re right, doc isn’t a extreme fast faller, but he can still fall fast, and what’s better is he can choose what style he wants. Floaty or fast. And I mean in all styles of jumping as well, not just SH (cuz anyone can just to be floaty or fast in SH).

I'm also not quite sure why we're comparing a bair and an ftilt. The main reason I mentioned ftilt is to list the spacing tools Kirby has. Doc has usmash and bair. Kirby has dtilt, ftilt, bair (which does much of the same things Doc's does), fair, and reverse uair. And I mention those tools because of range - in terms of safe moves in neutral, you can add jabs, nair, utilt...

And again, all of this is before adding his main gimmick.

Doc definitely has better OOS options, though.

EDIT: Oh, and having a reflector is definitely amazing vs projectile characters.
In terms of viable poking tools, doc has a whole lot more than just Bair and Usmash lol, but they’re a little more situational.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
On solo viability:

Given how many matchup charts I see with -1 and -2 being the absolutely worst a given character can have, most characters are straight up solo viable. Without getting into how Smashers are weird with MU numbers, I can’t think of an actual, real hard counter in this game outside of maybe Ganon/Bayo.

Top players switch off of characters all the time, it may or may not have anything to do with an actual advantage character X brings to the MU over character Y. It’s almost always because they want a change up to see if character X can do better and/or because it will likely throw their opponent off.

Obvious instance: Komo switching off of Cloud to go Roy doesn’t mean that Cloud can’t beat Bayo.

Even more obvious: Leo has stated multiple times that he basically counterpicks or whatever by how he feels at a given time.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
You’re still in disadvantage when on the ledge.

And against cloud, Kirby is so floaty his range pales in comparison to cloud, that cloud could just follow his movements with practically no risk (save for the kirbycide or whatnot).

But Kirby has a better disadvantage, no argument here.

Doc doesn’t need his Usmash to hit in front of him, and the aerial coverage is still there. Mario’s is a inverse parabola, whereas doc is a upside down V. Like this /\.

Elaborate on this. Because if you’re talking about air camping off stage, then You shouldn’t praise that either. Maybe against the worst of recoveries, but not in general.

And you’re right, doc isn’t a extreme fast faller, but he can still fall fast, and what’s better is he can choose what style he wants. Floaty or fast. And I mean in all styles of jumping as well, not just SH (cuz anyone can just to be floaty or fast in SH).
Of course, being on the ledge is still disadvantageous - mentioned that in a previous post. The main point is that Dr. Mario's ledge options aren't amazing vs Cloud either. So Doc takes more damage in order to retreat to the same situation. Though speaking on that - yes and no. It's definitely easy for Cloud to follow Kirby's movements. But I also find that drifting combined with sort of "swaying" with Kirby's jumps can definitely make the job harder than you might expect. IMO, Kirby should still head directly to ledge the vast majority of the time. But it's possible to land on stage from time to time - especially if Cloud doesn't have limit.

And perhaps Doc doesn't need it to hit in front of him, but I was responding directly to the claim that Doc's usmash covered everything around him. I'm not saying it's a bad move; just that the claim was exaggerated.

As for the stalling and fading away in neutral - I don't mean air camping at all. Kirby should absolutely have his feet on the ground the majority of the time. No, I mean that he's able to drift or fake a drift towards the opponent, and quickly shift in the other direction or pull back. Comparatively, if Doc is jumping at you, you generally know he's committed.

Regarding the falling style - yeah, that's definitely true, as he's in the middle of the pack. But it means he doesn't get the fastfaller privileges (being able to return to the ground swiftly out of a juggle) nor floaty privileges (being able to escape offstage pressure by drifting away). The main benefit is being able to play a mixup game that is versatilte, but doesn't have the extreme strengths of either. Mario can make up for it with his versatile recovery tools, but Doc?

On solo viability:

Given how many matchup charts I see with -1 and -2 being the absolutely worst a given character can have, most characters are straight up solo viable. Without getting into how Smashers are weird with MU numbers, I can’t think of an actual, real hard counter in this game outside of maybe Ganon/Bayo.

Top players switch off of characters all the time, it may or may not have anything to do with an actual advantage character X brings to the MU over character Y. It’s almost always because they want a change up to see if character X can do better and/or because it will likely throw their opponent off.

Obvious instance: Komo switching off of Cloud to go Roy doesn’t mean that Cloud can’t beat Bayo.

Even more obvious: Leo has stated multiple times that he basically counterpicks or whatever by how he feels at a given time.
I feel like many MU charts grossly understate the weaknesses of each character. I don't believe there are many *unwinnable* MUs, but there are a number of hard counters. DK vs Rosa, Sonic vs Kirby, Sheik vs Ganondorf, Fox vs Samus, and many more that haven't genuinely been explored. I feel like most bad MUs in this game are considered bad because "wow, they can't do anything about this," but no one truly explores how to make a bad MU worse. Which is good for the characters that are countered - you can sort of surprise people all the time with new tricks.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Of course, being on the ledge is still disadvantageous - mentioned that in a previous post. The main point is that Dr. Mario's ledge options aren't amazing vs Cloud either. So Doc takes more damage in order to retreat to the same situation. Though speaking on that - yes and no. It's definitely easy for Cloud to follow Kirby's movements. But I also find that drifting combined with sort of "swaying" with Kirby's jumps can definitely make the job harder than you might expect. IMO, Kirby should still head directly to ledge the vast majority of the time. But it's possible to land on stage from time to time - especially if Cloud doesn't have limit.

And perhaps Doc doesn't need it to hit in front of him, but I was responding directly to the claim that Doc's usmash covered everything around him. I'm not saying it's a bad move; just that the claim was exaggerated.

As for the stalling and fading away in neutral - I don't mean air camping at all. Kirby should absolutely have his feet on the ground the majority of the time. No, I mean that he's able to drift or fake a drift towards the opponent, and quickly shift in the other direction or pull back. Comparatively, if Doc is jumping at you, you generally know he's committed.

Regarding the falling style - yeah, that's definitely true, as he's in the middle of the pack. But it means he doesn't get the fastfaller privileges (being able to return to the ground swiftly out of a juggle) nor floaty privileges (being able to escape offstage pressure by drifting away). The main benefit is being able to play a mixup game that is versatilte, but doesn't have the extreme strengths of either. Mario can make up for it with his versatile recovery tools, but Doc?
Doc takes more damage for the same situation because of his lack of multiple jumps. If doc had 3 more jumps, it wouldn’t be as big of a problem (also other things too, but this is what keeps Kirby from being thoroughly abused).

And Doc’s Usmash does basically hit all around him, I wasn’t gunning for literal meanings though.

thanks for the clarification. And Doc can SHFF, FH then fast fall at weird timings, walk, SH at you then Double Jump away and fast fall, blah blah blah he can mix it up, he just does it differently, which goes back to your previous statement of floaty vs fast fall.

And you say doc being in the middle keeps him from either advantages, and that Mario makes up for it with his recovery game.

But Doc can use either style at any moment he chooses though. He can’t float like Jiggly, nor SHFF at lightning speed like Fox or sheik, but he can do a little of both. That’s versatility right there.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789

Rizen

Smash Legend
Something I learned from playing a walling/zoning character is there's mobility and then there's burst mobility. It should be treated separately for most characters because 'burst mobility' involves dash grabs, RAR, running Usmash, DA, etc. Sonic and CF are the only characters who's ground mobility and burst mobility are the same due to CF's freakish dash grab and Sonic's so fast he can pivot grab punish from across FD. You think 'lol Dr.M/Falco/Luigi etc aren't mobile' then they rush in and start wrecking you in your arrogance. Dr.Mario is a very real threat in burst range and so is Kirby. Dr can do a lot of the same things Mario can to get in from burst range even though his run speed is 1.3312 vs Mario's 1.6.

IDK who's better, Dr.M or Kirby. If I had to pick one I'd say Kirby because his CP potential can be really good vs some high ranked characters like CF and Sheik (iirc?). They might be low or bottom tier but you have to respect them: it's SSB4.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Doc takes more damage for the same situation because of his lack of multiple jumps. If doc had 3 more jumps, it wouldn’t be as big of a problem (also other things too, but this is what keeps Kirby from being thoroughly abused).

And Doc’s Usmash does basically hit all around him, I wasn’t gunning for literal meanings though.

thanks for the clarification. And Doc can SHFF, FH then fast fall at weird timings, walk, SH at you then Double Jump away and fast fall, blah blah blah he can mix it up, he just does it differently, which goes back to your previous statement of floaty vs fast fall.

And you say doc being in the middle keeps him from either advantages, and that Mario makes up for it with his recovery game.

But Doc can use either style at any moment he chooses though. He can’t float like Jiggly, nor SHFF at lightning speed like Fox or sheik, but he can do a little of both. That’s versatility right there.
Yeah, I mention this - versatility is good, but it just means that you get slightly less abused in all situations, but you still get abused. Rosa and Doc are still going to get juggled - Doc just has the chance to mix up and escape sooner, potentially. On the other hand, Rosa isn't going to get edgeguarded as easily, while Doc will, since he pretty much *has* to drift forward at all times. He's also going to get caught more easily in combos by characters with disjoints. So yeah - he's versatile, but he will always get abused in every form of disadvantage.

Where did you hear that...

Doc's Up-Smash has the same hitbox only with 1 more active frame over Mario's covering the blind spot in-front of him over the plumber's.

They also have the same frame data.

:4mario:
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Mario

:4drmario:
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Dr. Mario/
You're illustrating my point. The back hit is better than the front hit, for both characters. The front hit doesn't have as much range, and *the front hit* comes out on the last frame of the move, so it's slower than the back hit.

EDIT: Honestly this is a lot so far. We've already concluded that Kirby is faster, has the better disadvantage and advantage, and more effective neutral tools than Doc. In addition, he has better MUs vs relevant characters. Once you've already established those things, what's the point in going through all the rest of this? Yes, Doc has strong moves. Usmash is good. Bair is good. A lot of characters have good tools.

But like... if a character is superior in every game state, has better MUs against relevant characters, AND has better results, how is the "who is better" thing a question?

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
RE: Doc & Kirby

So i've been hearing that people have been saying that Doc has worse spacing tools than Kirby. And i'm not exactly seeing it. I'll just be talking about one of the best moves in Doc's kit, which is his Bair. That **** has very generous autocancels that grants it the ability to just be thrown like it's nothing, on top of everything that's been said before ( Safety. I may be missing something, but i don't think Kirby's Bair or other aerials come close to the flexibility that Doc's Bair offers through the aforementioned generous autocancels, as well as Doc's jumping specs ( One of the lowest SH in the games along with an okay fast fall speed )

Kirby may have slightly better grounded pokes but the value of a good ground game definitely worsens if your mobility is subpar ( See: Falco, maybe Zelda as well ). I'm not saying it's worthless, but i'm saying that aerial spacing tools are more valuable if your mobility isn't good, because a lot of the relevant side of the cast leans towards aerial approaches, and the ability to trade with even retreating ones through a flexible aerial is definitely going to matter more. ( By the way, this is another point where Doc's Bair shines: A Frame 6 move that does 13.5% is rather enjoyable because you'll be winning most trade scenarios: Most aerials that deal this much damage are either likely to get beaten due to slower startup, or would rather not be staled. Other aerials simply deal less damage than Doc's Bair, so when you're trading aerials against Doc, most of the time, it's a win for Doc )

Did i mention just how insane Doc's Out of Shield game is? A Frame 3 move that can be b-reversed while still hitting both directions is at your disposal to punish a f*ck ton of options, even the mightiest of crossups.It's Low% and you're afraid of getting punished for going for UpB? No problem, you also have a great UpSmash at your disposal. You want to potentially start something out of that unsafe option from your opponent? It sure is nice that all our aerials that can combo start are fast, along with a decently fast set of Tilts. Isn't that wonderful, all of these options? Yes it is, especially against Brawlers of any kind, and this goes along Doc's overall high damage output from all sides of the spectrum ( High raw damage output, consistent damage out of grabs, kill confirms & an insane amount of mixups using Doc's amazing frame trapping ability through his aerials that SH FF autocancel, or Doc Nado that simply beats airdodge )

So huh, we've mentioned neutral, we've been to advantage, so what's left, Disadvantage? Yeah, Doc's disadvantage isn't amazing by any means, but there's one underutilized and awkward option that may save yourself from a lot of trouble: Your options out of airdodge. Yes, as dumb as it may sound to some, Doc's saved once again by his fast frame data, that gives the opponent a bit less leeway to punish the aforementioned airdodge, otherwise, he might eat one of UpB ( Risky though ), UpAir, Nair, or Bair, depending of the opponent's positioning. This also applies to ledge, where Doc has access to these tools granting him an option to surprise the opponent. SH AD should also, overall, not be slept on when it comes to Doc's moveset, as it could be just what you need to throw off your opponent's spacing & unleash whatever you feel like doing. Kirby's floatiness & limited options out of that same options make him a more predictable foe in neutral, that may be difficult to adapt to on the go for certain characters, but once understood, becomes somewhat inefficient overall.

I could mention a ton of other things, especially on the mixups area, whether it's the wonder that is Wavebounce Cape, his decent projectile that has the added value of covering all short hops, just how great Doc Tornado is offstage through its ridiculous knockback & ability to beat airdodge through how long it lasts, or the fact that the same argument about Doc's airdodge into UpB can be made to justify that his recovery is serviceable enough. But i'll just say that i believe Doc is a potent pick against more characters than Kirby at the end of it, by value of the tools mentioned before: He does good against a majority of Brawlers & does okay enough against long range oriented, straight forward zoning characters.

And with that, i'll leave you all with a set that i'd say is pretty handy to understand Doc's gameplan & tools. It isn't perfect, but it's a fine example of how Doc's neutral game should look like in the hands of any player looking to pick him up:

I'm looking forward to see if players like Javi or Rizeasu, who have shown to have respectable Docs to counterpick with, can do with the character. If you want more Doc footage, Javi's set against Serge's Lucario at SP73 is another solid set.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
You're illustrating my point. The back hit is better than the front hit, for both characters. The front hit doesn't have as much range, and *the front hit* comes out on the last frame of the move, so it's slower than the back hit.
Your wording came off as Doc's Up-Smash is slower and has less range then Mario's
Recovery wise, Kirby's is only slightly better since he has multiple jumps covering more distance and mix-up ability, but Up-B is slow and very punishable. While Doc's doesn't go as far, his Up-B is harder to punish over Kirby's not to mention he still has Tornado as a back-up option.

Crouching, yeah Kirby takes it. Though Doc's isn't half bad since he can still duck under options like Diddy's short-hop Fair which is helpful.

Advantage state is iffy. At low percents, Kirby is a combo king able to rack up around 40%, although he can't do too much once his opponent reaches 60% or so depending on MU. His unique kill-throw is undoubtedly helpful.
Doc can get around 20% - 30% at low and mid percents on most MU. His up-air string can get quite crazy at the right the moment. Do have to mention kill confirm on grab...

Speed wise, Kirby has better ground mobility but Doc has better air-mobility thanks to B-Reverse/Wave-bounce Cape/Super Sheet. It's great covering Doc's range around him due to the move's low endlag at 36 FAF.

Doc has 3 combos breaker with different uses. (Nair is the safest at frame 3 but doesn't lead into much, U-air can lead into a combo but is frame 4, Up-B is frame 3, has the most range and power but risky if it misses) as opposed to Kirby's 0. The multiple jumps do help, but Doc can B-Reverse/Wave-bounce Cape (Sometime even Pill & Tornado) to mix-up his landings and escape juggles.

I already mentioned most of Doc's array of options in neutral. Adding B-Reverse/Wave-bouncing Cape to the list.

Doc's Air Acceleration isn't good, but not the worst. B-Reverse/Wave-Bouncing Cape still covers it very well.
It almost makes up for it similar to Monkey Flip.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Since Kirby's a topic right now: usually when people bring him up, it typically involves crouch memes, and I'm pretty grateful that isn't happening this time. What I rarely see mentioned though, and something that actually does interest me, are his landing animations. Every single landing animation he has - soft land, hard land, nair, fair, bair, uair, airdodge, kinda dair but less extreme than the rest - shrinks his hurtbox throughout the landing lag, and continues to do so past the FAF. This makes punishing his landings harder/less effective, but also interferes with a number of strings or multihits that may cause him to land. Among characters I play(ed), these come to mind (mostly referenced against hard landing):

:rosalina:RosaLuma jabs, Rosa grabs, Rosa usmash, RosaLuma utilt, Luma uair, Luma nair all whiff on a landing Kirby. Lots of jab1>* setups either become extremely tight (grab, uair/nair) or fail altogether (jab1, delayed jab2, usmash(can delay for Luma-only if Kirby doesn't jump, done asap Rosa whiffs and Luma's still stuck in jab1 endlag))
:4corrinf: grab, jab1, dsmash, dash attack, and Dragon Lunge's kick whiff. Dragon Fang Shot requires a half charge for the projectile to hit.
:4greninja:Fsmash/fair frequently whiff if not playing on a 2D stage (rip Duck Hunt). Jab1>fsmash and jab1>delayed jab2 whiff.

I dunno what else there is of relevance (Shoryuken amusingly whiffs on I think all of them, but dtilt>Shoryuken exists so that's only relevant if Ryu needs to do it running), but I am curious about what other characters lose strings or need to change up punish options over this.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I feel like we always bounce back and forth. Didn't we just have the discussion about the value of grounded pokes in neutral?

Let's put some stuff together. Kirby is nearly the same speed on the ground as Mario when running. His dash speed is also 1.5 compared to Mario's 1.6.

We're talking about the importance of being able to beat out aerial approches - you do that by having better range, good anti-airs, or a good ground game. No matter what Doc does, he's not beating out Cloud's bair with his own. And while we're on that, Kirby's bair has slightly less damage at 13%, but in exchange is functionally 1 frame faster due to Kirby's jumpsquat. But that's not now you contest characters with great aerial approaches - having a good bair means little if your air speed and air acceleration are low... even less if your bair isn't disjointed.

Falco/Zelda aren't comparable, as their ground games aren't as good as Kirby's full stop. All of Kirby's tilts are quick and safe. His jab is quick and safe. But I mean, Kirby has that plus a bair that is only weaker than Doc's by .5 percent. So all of the stuff mentioned about trade scenarios? Applies to Kirby's bair as well. Safe on shield? Check. Doesn't have the autocancel window for sure, though.

Advantage, again... yes, Doc has good moves with good frame data. Unfortuntately, none of these really allow him to do as much as Kirby does. Which reminds me, common misconception... Kirby doesn't have combos off of GRAB past a certain percent. Utilt, dtilt, nair, uair combo longer than grab does. Oh, and dair, I guess.

Disadvantage... no. Doc absolutely doesn't have better disadvantage than Kirby. All of these momentum shifting moves are great at reversing whatever your existing momentum is, but considering Doc's airspeed is still flat out bad, he doesn't get to offer more than a minor inconvenience. Comparatively, Kirby can shift his momentum multiple times before he needs to land, with more effectiveness (thanks to the acceleration from the jump & the aforementioned air acceleration). Kirby can drift back to avoid edgeguards. Doc cannot. Doc's recovery is worse than Kirby's by a lot, with Kirby's main weakness being his up B. But he can usually recover without it anyways. And you can see this in pretty much any MU - Doc isn't making it back to stage versus Bayo, Sheik, Cloud, and more. Kirby at least has a chance to return to the ledge.

I feel like we keep responding with "Doc has these great moves" and again - he does! But then we consistently ignore everything that has consistently shown to put one character over another. Better ground game. Better advantage state. Better disadvantage state. And again - all of that is talking about vanilla Kirby alone, before you ever take into account that the character is designed to switch moves based on the MU.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I feel like we always bounce back and forth. Didn't we just have the discussion about the value of grounded pokes in neutral?

Let's put some stuff together. Kirby is nearly the same speed on the ground as Mario when running. His dash speed is also 1.5 compared to Mario's 1.6.

We're talking about the importance of being able to beat out aerial approches - you do that by having better range, good anti-airs, or a good ground game. No matter what Doc does, he's not beating out Cloud's bair with his own. And while we're on that, Kirby's bair has slightly less damage at 13%, but in exchange is functionally 1 frame faster due to Kirby's jumpsquat. But that's not now you contest characters with great aerial approaches - having a good bair means little if your air speed and air acceleration are low... even less if your bair isn't disjointed.

Falco/Zelda aren't comparable, as their ground games aren't as good as Kirby's full stop. All of Kirby's tilts are quick and safe. His jab is quick and safe. But I mean, Kirby has that plus a bair that is only weaker than Doc's by .5 percent. So all of the stuff mentioned about trade scenarios? Applies to Kirby's bair as well. Safe on shield? Check. Doesn't have the autocancel window for sure, though.

Advantage, again... yes, Doc has good moves with good frame data. Unfortuntately, none of these really allow him to do as much as Kirby does. Which reminds me, common misconception... Kirby doesn't have combos off of GRAB past a certain percent. Utilt, dtilt, nair, uair combo longer than grab does. Oh, and dair, I guess.

Disadvantage... no. Doc absolutely doesn't have better disadvantage than Kirby. All of these momentum shifting moves are great at reversing whatever your existing momentum is, but considering Doc's airspeed is still flat out bad, he doesn't get to offer more than a minor inconvenience. Comparatively, Kirby can shift his momentum multiple times before he needs to land, with more effectiveness (thanks to the acceleration from the jump & the aforementioned air acceleration). Kirby can drift back to avoid edgeguards. Doc cannot. Doc's recovery is worse than Kirby's by a lot, with Kirby's main weakness being his up B. But he can usually recover without it anyways. And you can see this in pretty much any MU - Doc isn't making it back to stage versus Bayo, Sheik, Cloud, and more. Kirby at least has a chance to return to the ledge.

I feel like we keep responding with "Doc has these great moves" and again - he does! But then we consistently ignore everything that has consistently shown to put one character over another. Better ground game. Better advantage state. Better disadvantage state. And again - all of that is talking about vanilla Kirby alone, before you ever take into account that the character is designed to switch moves based on the MU.
Throwing the issue right back at you, every time, you seem to ignore everything that's been mentioned and consider it as raw data, rather than tools that make the character versatile in one way or another.

I'll mention it once again, but Doc's Bair autocancelling is truly one of the best assets about it, and what sets it apart from Kirby's. The ability to throw it out of a SH FF, rather than just a SH. The ability to just throw the move at any given time is truly something to marvel at and one of the stronger points of Doc's neutral game. And as i've said, to take back your example of Cloud's Bair, Doc's SH AD or even FH AD options are among the best out there, so while you're not beating it, you definitely are not optionless. Kirby on the other hand, with his even worse air speed ( despite better air acceleration ) and a Back Air that fits more into the area of raw moves rather than combo starter potential moves like Doc, limit his potential at actually beating the move. It isn't even his only option out of airdodge, as we've mentioned right before.

On to advantage, i wholeheartedly disagree that Doc's moves do not allow him to accomplish about as much as Kirby does, especially on anyone but fastfallers. Doc has a ton of bread & butters combos that can come from various starters such as his Jab, Down & UpTilt, or Grab. Some of them are rather frame tight but they allow Doc to get about 25% out of every one of these neutral victories, regardless of the character. Kirby on the other hand, especially against floaties & the likes of Luigi, won't reach that kind of consistency beyond Mid %. That isn't even mentioning just how much better Doc is at killing than Kirby, whether it's his kill confirm & 50/50s, his strong smashes that also are on the lesser commital side of things ( Yes, even FSmash ) , and his absolutely ridiculous out of shield game. With this taken into account, i'd actually give the edge to Doc when it comes to the advantage state against a couple of characters. The means of unlocking advantage should also be taken into account, because just as you've said, Kirby's grab combos around Mid% are kind of lacking. For a character with overall mediocre mobility specs & bad range despite the existence of these pokes, this is quite troublesome. Doc's kit is composed of a lot of moves that will keep him relevant through the fact that they could unlock advantage state, on top of the consistency he has from some other starters, that's a luxury i'd say Kirby does not have as much, or for as long. There's a point where Kirby becomes much more of a raw character.

Finally, back into disadvantage, while it is true that Kirby has the air acceleration to shift his momentum around & trick his opponents, his air speed however remains one of the worst, and along with his floatiness & lack of fast options in the air, he will still have a hard time getting off of the face of his opponent, especially when we consider that nearly every character that is praised for their juggling prowess has a better air speed than Kirby. When put into perspective, these tools don't value much. Same argument can be made for Recovery, his UpB is kind of bad on top of that, so while his multiple jumps offer him the mixup of recovering up, this will hardly matter against the likes of Cloud.

So yeah, i'm kind of sorry, but i'm not seeing it either. I do know that Kirby's ground mobility is decent enough, I do know that Kirby has good combos against fastfaller, I do know this, I do know that, but i can't really visualize how any of these tools will actually make Kirby win anything besides a few matchups that renders him okay enough, while losing the majority of matchups out there. Maybe with some footage, i could understand what's so nice about Kirby, but as of now, consider me unconvinced. I've always felt & seen in Kirby's gameplay as one that needed some kind of pre-emptive in order to accomplish anything. The character when put in practice doesn't seem like he has any form of valuable consistency that would earn him any good matchup against any character he doesn't have a busted string of UpTilts against. So please, if you can target sets or word out specifically something about Kirby that i'd be missing & would be more concrete, please enlighten me.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Ow, I officially have a headache.
Hrmm for all the talk about how doc and kirby stack up against other characters, how do they stack up against each other if they were fighting? What's the doc vs. kirby MU look like?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Going over my thoughts.

* Surprised Mario's still top 10. Ally's season hasn't been that great, and I figured he'd be relegated to 11th at this point.
* Cloud should be 3rd. Until someone is taking ZeRo's space with Cloud, Diddy's still #2.
* I would still vouch Rosalina to be Top 3. But Top 5 is reasonable. S-Tier would be more appropriate, regardless.
* Lucina under Marth. Guessing this is because more people - like MKLeo - place using Marth.
* Pikachu's too high. I guess Esam's still doing good enough in bracket to keep him afloat, but I rarely see anything noteworthy from Pikachu.
* Luigi's FAR too low. Was this because most of Elegant's recent placings came fairly late in the season or what??
* Olimar is too low. Shuton has proven this.
* Why are DK and Bowser only two spaces away from each other? Based on what I last recall, Tweek and Konga have outdone themselves with DK more than Nairo has done with Bowser. LordMix has been inactive, and there hasn't been a "best Bowser" to fill that void in months. But from what I gather, largely to do with DK's placings and his kill percent, he's a tier higher than Bowser.
* Ness is too high. FOW is barely active. Besides Great Gonzales, who is placing with Ness? Lucas is much better.
* Link is too low. T has proven this on more than one occasion.

The good thing is the viability pool in this game is still high. Much of these placings would make more sense if they weren't ordered within tiers. But for the most part, for the examples given above, I believe certain characters should be placed one tier higher than their placing. Or in Bowser's case, one tier lower unless otherwise noted.
I agree that order within tiers is counterproductive, but on the subject of DK and Bowser, I seem to recall Hikaru (who plays both) saying that he thinks Bowser is slightly stronger. Obviously he prefers DK regardless, and DK seems to be the more popular and effective pick. However, it seems to me that they both serve more or less the same function; as player-based counterpicks or for muscling through unstable matchups with their unga bunga power.
Maybe this is silly, but I'd argue for them occupying the same spot, or at the very least they ought to be in the same tier. Now, that may give more weight to theory than results, so feel free to disagree. But honestly, they're the same character. One just happens to be more popular at top level right now.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Throwing the issue right back at you, every time, you seem to ignore everything that's been mentioned and consider it as raw data, rather than tools that make the character versatile in one way or another.

I'll mention it once again, but Doc's Bair autocancelling is truly one of the best assets about it, and what sets it apart from Kirby's. The ability to throw it out of a SH FF, rather than just a SH. The ability to just throw the move at any given time is truly something to marvel at and one of the stronger points of Doc's neutral game. And as i've said, to take back your example of Cloud's Bair, Doc's SH AD or even FH AD options are among the best out there, so while you're not beating it, you definitely are not optionless. Kirby on the other hand, with his even worse air speed ( despite better air acceleration ) and a Back Air that fits more into the area of raw moves rather than combo starter potential moves like Doc, limit his potential at actually beating the move. It isn't even his only option out of airdodge, as we've mentioned right before.

On to advantage, i wholeheartedly disagree that Doc's moves do not allow him to accomplish about as much as Kirby does, especially on anyone but fastfallers. Doc has a ton of bread & butters combos that can come from various starters such as his Jab, Down & UpTilt, or Grab. Some of them are rather frame tight but they allow Doc to get about 25% out of every one of these neutral victories, regardless of the character. Kirby on the other hand, especially against floaties & the likes of Luigi, won't reach that kind of consistency beyond Mid %. That isn't even mentioning just how much better Doc is at killing than Kirby, whether it's his kill confirm & 50/50s, his strong smashes that also are on the lesser commital side of things ( Yes, even FSmash ) , and his absolutely ridiculous out of shield game. With this taken into account, i'd actually give the edge to Doc when it comes to the advantage state against a couple of characters.

Finally, back into disadvantage, while it is true that Kirby has the air acceleration to shift his momentum around & trick his opponents, his air speed however remains one of the worst, and along with his floatiness & lack of fast options in the air, he will still have a hard time getting off of the face of his opponent, especially when we consider that nearly every character that is praised for their juggling prowess has a better air speed than Kirby. When put into perspective, these tools don't value much. Same argument can be made for Recovery, his UpB is kind of bad on top of that, so while his multiple jumps offer him the mixup of recovering up, this will hardly matter against the likes of Cloud.

So yeah, i'm kind of sorry, but i'm not seeing it either. I do know that Kirby's ground mobility is decent enough, I do know that Kirby has good combos against fastfaller, I do know this, I do know that, but i can't really visualize how any of these tools will actually make Kirby win anything besides a few matchups that renders him okay enough, while losing the majority of matchups out there. Maybe with some footage, i could understand what's so nice about Kirby, but as of now, consider me unconvinced.
No, I hear what you're saying. But it all sounds like defending Doc as a character - and he does have very good tools. The issue is that nothing he has really puts him over Kirby. I'll take care to respond point-by-point here.

For the first paragraph: Doc's autocancel is great, for sure. But Kirby's is meant to have a couple different uses. First, when thrown out from a SH, it's a faster option than Doc's. Even moreso when you consider how air acceleration improves SH game. It becomes a burst option you can indeed throw out. Second, you want to land with the move more often than not, as despite the landing lag, it's meant to pancake under moves, increasing safety and the ability to avoid moves. Doc's bair is still stronger, mind. But it's not so much stronger that their bairs are incomparable. And on that note, Kirby also has a really good sh airdodge and fh airdodge. But the issue I think we're ignoring is that you shouldn't rely on aerial approaches so frequently anyways, especially with poor airspeed and acceleration. You see, that's why Doc's momentum shifting also doesn't matter so much. When he reverses his momentum, he can't do much afterwards. Kirby can punish a commitment from above right afterwards.

Second paragraph: Advantage state includes combos, but isn't just about combos. Without even getting into frame tight combos, Kirby can do 30% easily, and upwards of 70% depending on the opponent. But again, not just about combos.

Kirby is also stronger at ledge, due to his jab acting like a slightly worse version of Falcon's. It's not too hard to react to a number of ledge options just from holding it.

Kirby is also stronger offstage, due to the ability to chase opponents incredibly deep without significant threat to himself. He can place his aerials pretty much anywhere as a result, as opposed to a particular spot.

Finally, Kirby is also stronger when an opponent is landing. Due to (again), the better ground game and speed, he is able to more effectively chase the landings of his opponents. His turnaround speed is actually among the quickest in the game, allowing him to shift directions pretty easily, and his utilt annd usmash are effective anti-air options. The latter move is slower, but has incredible vertical range.

As for killing, Doc mainly performs better due to his kill confirm and usmash. I acknowledge both tools are solid (especially usmash), but the angle of usmash often keeps it from being as solid as the other Mario brothers. Furthermore, his kill confirm isn't as effective with enough rage. On the other hand, Kirby has more situations in which he can secure a kill, due to having more neutral tools on the ground, better edgeguarding and a vertical kill throw. I see Doc like Zelda in this regard - yes, there is a powerful kill confirm. But it's typically not going to be as effective due to opponents being able to outstrip him in neutral. That said, I will give him a solid edge in kill power.

Taken together, these attributes make Kirby stronger in every state of advantage. Comparatively, Doc may perform better if he's chasing an opponent in the air, due to slightly better airspeed and quick uairs. He will also perform better if he's able to get the grab he needs for his confirm.

Finally, disadvantage. Regardless of the airspeed of many of his opponents, Kirby is able to escape pressure and return to ledge more easily than most characters. Getting to land back on stage is no easy task, but few characters enjoy the privilege of being able to jump away from Rosalina's uairs instead of jumping out of them. Or jumping out of Fox's vortexes. So on. Airspeed only matters so much here, as ultimately, most characters have just one extra jump. After that's exhausted, they need to land before putting on more pressure. This inhibits their ability to chase Kirby down fully.

A similar point is applicable offstage. As Kirby can pull back offstage, he is able to force the opponent to exhaust their ability to chase. With this window of opportunity, Kirby is able to make it back to stage. He can also simply choose to recover high (or low if really needed). His up b isn't good at all - I'll be the first to call it trash. But if that's your main thought when it comes to Kirby's recovery, it's not the right direction.

So with these responses, I believe that should explain everything. You have agreed that Kirby has a better ground game, however slight. Disadvantage is clearly in Kirby's favor, with little room for comparison, I think. Advantage is also solidly proven. The only areas I believe you could reasonably argue for are the following:

- Whether Kirby's superior ground game is enough to say he has a superior neutral

- Whether Doc's kill power alone makes his advantage better than Kirby's

I believe that's a "yes" and "no" respectively. Again, all of this is before getting into MU specific copy abilities, which can objectively put his neutral, advantage, and disadvantage leagues ahead of Doc's depending on the MU.

EDIT: And before I forget, I want to reiterate that Kirby has better top-level results than Doc as well (despite both being admittedly tragic). So this covers both theory and reality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom