• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Sonic's one of those characters where I feel like he has to work really hard to accomplish what other characters can do much more easily, and depends a lot more on player skill than anything the character can do.
I've been internally entertaining the idea of one of those 2x2 charts for Smash characters, not too dissimilar from that one posted a while ago here where UltraDavid ranked SFV character matchups on a vertical scale for difficulty and horizontal for volatility, except ranking characters on how difficult they are to play and whether they're hard to play because of technical execution or because of the mental taxation. Obviously it'd be somewhat imperfect since characters can be both technical/mentally taxing but I could see characters like Ryu and Peach fall into "hard/technical" while Sonic and Bayonetta fall more towards "hard/mental" since their executions and techniques aren't as tricky as having the fortitude to apply them - but as far as concepts go that's just spitballing and again it's some really nebulous terms you'd be playing with.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
When's the last time KEN fought a notable MK? Because Cloud lost and Corrin was a few weeks old at that point, so he might have just felt like going MK over Marth. He also went MK for the last game in WFs, so he might have liked the mu from what he saw there.
But...It's META KNIGHT, he isn't exactly a fully fledged flat out mainable character. He is rather linear and unsafe. He also lacks a ton of variety compared to any other character Leo could've went with.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
But...It's META KNIGHT, he isn't exactly a fully fledged flat out mainable character. He is rather linear and unsafe. He also lacks a ton of variety compared to any other character Leo could've went with.
You are forgetting something though, this is the same :4metaknight: that singlehandedly brought him out of his early 'he's bad' perception.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
gonna put this as simply as i can
while using :4cloud2: Leo spammed aerials at KEN and got punished for nearly every one for about 15 minutes straight.
after switching to MK he started walking more and getting hit by Spin Dash less while forcing KEN into 50/50s where he would generate a higher reward for guessing right than he would guessing wrong.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
You are forgetting something though, this is the same :4metaknight: that singlehandedly brought him out of his early 'he's bad' perception.
Ye but, he had the jank 30% kill confirm that was nearly inescapable unless you Di'd the dash attack or dthrow corectly, now he only has that on floatys.

while using :4cloud2: Leo spammed aerials at KEN and got punished for nearly every one for about 15 minutes straight.
after switching to MK he started walking more and getting hit by Spin Dash less while forcing KEN into 50/50s where he would generate a higher reward for guessing right than he would guessing wrong.
Then why didn't he just played carefully as cloud and began being more cautious, a change in playstyle doesn't really justify a character change.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Ye but, he had the jank 30% kill confirm that was nearly inescapable unless you Di'd the dash attack or dthrow corectly, now he only has that on floatys.

Then why didn't he just played carefully as cloud and began being more cautious, a change in playstyle doesn't really justify a character change.
Perhaps because he felt more comfortable with MK rather than Cloud and M2K's coaching also had a hand in that.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Mks got some good **** still
And everyone if he has rage, and sonic isn't really known for killing early or being able to edgeguard recoveries as ridiculous as MKs
Let's also not forget his incredibly under used offstage reverse up air > bair string at 20%

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Well I mean, I'm not against any of this, I love seeing results from my favorite kirby character. Also, what is coaching, and what is wrong with it?
Coaching is basically offering last minute advice and tactics, or also in the long run, and as you may have already seen, this applies in Melee as well.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
My problem is that bayonetta is in this game. Don't like it? Block me.
Hello.
This thread may not be for you.
If you do not want to actually contribute intelligible insight, that is.

-

Re: Roy v Marth.
It's hard to maintain objectivity once we step away from clones where the only common difference between them is damage on hitboxes.
But let's look at it this way: Roy has alternative angles on his flubs for a lot of his moves, while they might not truly offer much, this is adding 'depth' beyond just lower/higher knockback seen with Marth/Lucina.
Roy's mobility specs while having the design constraints of poor deceleration and large dash to shield window, while being literally restrictive does add complexity on how to optimize his play. Constraints are technically reducing options that could be there otherwise but if they're compensated well (Roy is a frikken VROOM VROOOM rocket) then, although harder to quantify, I feel it adds more to a character than just the standard (then there's silly things like Cloud in Limit, he has all the options, but it's kinda like floating in space traveling however you want verses having to deal with more potent effects of gravity (etc) on Earth.. probably terrible analogy).

Out of all the FE characters, Robin has the most things to work with by a fair margin (with a lot of constraints/restrictions). Also the only one with applicable auto cancels.
But I wouldn't really want to make any concrete claims.

Also should probably clarify one thing, minmaxing Lucina might be simpler than Marth, but any other conclusion is a stretch (yes Lucina-friends, I'm trying). Top level meta is showing she's better for picking up and succeeding with than Marth ( well, it's like the opposite issue as before: no one mained Lucina, while some Marth mains were successful; now its no one uses Marth as a serious pocket/CP, but many are doing so with Lucina - how in god's name do you resolve this for 'tier list' things? :sob: ), which does heavily affect how one perceives overall viability.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Why I think results hardly matter when making tier lists
An explanation by Floor​

Tier lists are being discussed and everyone wants to explain why X is low tier/top tier. A common explanation: Y won Z major last week; ZeRo beat Pugwest, CaptainZack has a 6-1 record against Zinoto, Rosalina just won 2 majors in a row… (fictitious examples). Well, what do these results mean? If you compiled every results that happened after 1.1.6, would you get an objective tier list? Are results objective.

Objective: If something is able to be disagreed with, it is not objective.

Objective statement: A move with less ending lag is better than the same move with more ending lag.
Are results objective? Can you look at every player and characters placing and make a tier list/rankings that can’t be disagreed with? Well, no, you can’t. Results aren’t objective. Certain results and records can be formulated to make a ranking system, but you can’t say for certain if a certain player is better than another if something like the following occurs. (The following is a fictitious example):

Major A: Salem gets 1st – Captain Zack gets 2nd
Major B: Salem gets 4th – Captain Zack gets 2nd

Who is the better Bayo? Well, it depends on who you ask. Some people will say Captain Zack is better because he is more consistent, others will look at Salem’s first place and see that CaptainZack doesn’t have the potential that Salem has. Both are fair views and no one is objectively the better Bayo. People will disagree. You can’t use results here to say who is better because the results are subjective; you would have to analyze their playstyles, their stats, and admittedly, their record against other players (I’ll get to this in a second) in order to form an argument on who is the better Bayo.

Well, the better Bayo is whoever has the better record, right? Well, close, but that’s still subjective. (Fictitious example):
Salem is 6-0 with Dyr meanwhile CaptainZack is 0-6 with Dyr
Salem is 3-3 with Nairo meanwhile CaptainZack is 3-3 with Nairo
Salem is 0-6 with Zinoto meanwhile CaptainZack is 6-0 with Zinoto

Who has the better record? Well it depends on wether you value a favorable record against Zinoto or Dyr. So, who is the best Diddy? (The loop continues)

Or perhaps the only difference between their record is that Salem has favorable wins against ZeRo (meanwhile CaptainZack has an even record) but Salem loses to MKLeo (while CaptainZack is even). The results alone don’t say much as people can disagree.

The answer to who is the better Bayo seems to be an argument of consistency vs potential (no, I’m no starting a Marth vs Lucina discussion here, but this is a large part of what that discussion is based off of). Or, you can analyze who the better Bayo is by looking at their playstyles. (Fictitious example) CaptainZack is more patient and safe; he doesn’t take much damage but he doesn’t land those Bayonetta 0-death combos. He’s harder to get in against but he doesn’t push his advantage either. Meanwhile with Salem, he kind of rushes in their a lot and often gets punished for it, but when he manages to get a hit in, he brings you off the top blastzone in a stylish 0-death Bayo combo. Or, you can discuss which player gets more reads, which players keeps their opponent guessing better, which player can pull off the best tech more effectively… all these things are valid support for the best Bayo is but they don’t exactly translate into a X-Y record with so-and-so.

Let’s bring the focus of this discussion as it applies to characters now.

Is Ness a good character? I mean sure, but in this fictitious example, let’s say he’s high tier. FOW enters a tournament and soars through pools with his solo Ness. Things are looking good until he gets into top 32 and, uh-oh, if Dabuz beats Luhtie, FOW has to deal with the 20-80 Ness vs Rosa matchup… but, this is Smash 4 and Luhtie upsets Dabuz! FOW now avoids the rosa matchup and beats Luhtie and ends up winning the entire tournament, never once facing a Rosalina. Is Ness all of a sudden a top tier character because he won a major? Let’s say the same thing happens again at a different major and FOW wins by avoiding the Rosalina matchup. Is Ness top tier? He just won two majors… Well, there’s things to consider.

1. Is FOW a god? Did FOW grind and grind and grind and become the new ZeRo?
2. What happens when he has to fight a Rosalina? How important is one really bad matchup even if you’re character is fine otherwise?
3. Could he repeat his success with Luigi or Pit? Or is this something that’s really Ness specific.
4. How are FOW’s opponents doing? Was ZeRo not there? Was Nairo not playing his best? Was MKLeo sick or feeling down?

Just seeing a :4ness: icon at first place at a major doesn’t give you the full picture. Ness’s framedate, killpower, neutral, and range, however, does give you a more complete picture. Ness has a frame 3 jab; that’s worse than ZSS’s jab (frame 1) in terms of frame data objectively. What kinds of combos can Ness get out of jab? Marth and Lucina can kill off of jab at 100 thanks to Dancing Blade and jab into tipper ftilt (Marth only). I don’t know Ness’s jab combos, but in this fictitious example, let’s pretend he has none and that his jab is now frame 7. He would objectively has a worse jab than Marth and Lucina as he has less range, less damage, and less combo game from jab. There would really be no argument as to why Ness has a better jab. Thus, you can begin to rank Ness on actual framedata and attributes that would hold true regardless of whether or not ZeRo is present, Nairo is on a roll, whether or not MKLeo is sick, or how late in the bracket FOW went until he fought a Rosalina. Bracketing, Wellness, and attendance vary from tournament to tournament. ZeRo may be there, a Rosalina may stop FOW… who knows. But Ness will always have a worse jab than Marcina (again, pretend Ness doesn’t get combos from jab), a worse uptilt than X, and a worse grab than Y.

Don’t misconstrue this as me saying 1 moves is always objectively better than another; moves are only objectively better when all other things are held constant. Ness’s jab is only worse than Marcina’s because everything is worse about it. If, for example, Ness happened to be able to confirm jab 1 into fully charged PK Flash… then the better jab isn’t quite objective. You have a trade off; one is better at playing footsies in the neutral while the other grants bigger reward.

My previous post mentioned this but I’ll rephrase it here and elaborate.

When you’re like me and you don’t go off of results, then you know that Lucina was top/high tier all along since 1.1.4. Now, not everyone has as much familiarity with Lucina as I do, but I noticed how broken her fsmash was early on. I noticed how dominate she was at edge guarding and how great of a move bair is. I was familiar with her kill power and neutral even though 90% of the community cemented her into low and mid tier for I think over a year and a half or so. To be fair, not everyone is familiar with Lucina, which is why the place they put her on a tier list should be hesitant and they should be ready to change their view. Quite frankly, not a lot of people knew that Lucina could kill with her aerials before 150%. She suffered from I’m-in-Marth’s-Shadow syndrome for a long time; I had people tell me Marth’s tipper aerials must kill 50% earlier than Lucinas. Why? Because they haven’t spent more than an hour into her and didn’t know the truth. That, and she didn’t get results largely because no one played her. Now that PersistentBlade is a thing, people are starting to see just how powerful Lucina is. I’ve been saying it for years and everyone disagreed, but now that they see ZeRo utilize Lucina’s kit and power, they change their view. I don’t want to say “I told you so”, but when you allow results (Lucina had poor results) to blur the truth (no one knew Lucina was actually powerful and good) simply because you don’t know what the truth is, this is what happens; you severely underrate a character for such a long time. And only now that she has results do people start to recognize her as top tier/high tier even those she is exactly the same as she was a year and a half ago. Nothing changed outside of ZeRo thinking long and hard about “man, I need a counter to Ally. Eh, I have a pretty good Lucina; time to train her up” (with a little help from Mr. E, NAKAT, Ranai, Komoikiri, Salem, and Nairo). I was calling her top tier/high tier a long time ago but I was met with constant disagreement because “she doesn’t have results”. Again, to everyone’s credit, they didn’t quite know her real power and potential, but that’s precisely why they shouldn’t be so damned strong about their views.

One more thing to consider before you consider results:
Bayo hasn’t had good results since like, basically ever. Results would dictate she’s top 15; maybe top 10 (not going to pull up results just to make this point, you should understand it regardless). But, even if results would put her as top 15, pretty much everyone can recognize that her devastating punish game, good neutral, great edge guarding, witch time, planking, mobility, frame data, bat within, recovery, kill power (do I need to continue?) makes her #1 or, at the worst, top 3.

Earlier, I asked “Would you rather your character win a major, or get a buff?” I got a few responses, a few of which bring me to my last idea (how results *can* affect a tier list,) To me, this largely translates to “Would you rather your character look better, or actually be better”. Now, obviously, I want a balanced game. If I mained Bayo, then for the sake of everyone else in the community, I would go with winning a major since I don’t want to put everyone through a Bayo *buff* (alluding to @Frihetsanka ‘s response). However, from purely the perspective of “I want my character to be the best in the game”, one option puts your character closer to that goal while the other acts as a status update to some people and doesn’t change what your character can do or determine how well they do in certain matchups. Let’s say Mario only lost to Sonic. After Mario wins a major, he still loses to Sonic. But after getting a nice buff to his speed (or something, I don’t know what Mario needs to beat Sonic as I don’t play either of those characters and know little about them), then Mario may be able to beat Sonic and have no bad matchups.

@ARISTOS made a good point about how, finally, results *can* affect a tier list. How? By putting a spotlight on certain characters and showing people what to work on. If Marios are constantly losing to Sonics (emphasis on constantly, continuous results that occur back to back nearly like clockwork do hold some amount of weight), then the Mario community can step up their Sonic game and improve the Mario vs Sonic meta, grind the matchup, and make some breakthroughs for other Marios, therefore improving and uncovering just how much Mario is capable of. If Earth was somehow able to beat ZeRo by abusing this one simple trick that will put the Diddy industry out of business, then other Pit mains can see this trick, utilize it, perfect it, and explore its uses in other matchups, therefore furthering the Pit meta and improving their character’s spot on the tier list. So, how can results make a difference? By having a long term affect on how the meta grows. Results can serve as a status-check to see how meta are growing and by pointing to certain characters that might be on a rise or in need of a secondary to help them with bad matchups.

As a fictitious example, let’s look at Cloud.

1. Cloud gets released. People use him in bracket.
2. Results come in: Cloud is winning neutral a lot, killing early, and juggling, but he’s dying early to simple gimps. Looks like his recovery is a problem
3. Cloud mains hit the lab and practice and explore, trying find better ways to recover. They find out that stalling with sideB and NeutralB seems to help some, as does recovering high with climbhazzard and snapping the ledge on the way down.
4. They use this is bracket and see what happens. It seems to work, but Komo is still getting gimped by simple reads even after using these tools.
5. Clouds hit the lab again and use the results to try to find better ways to recover. They suggest playing conservative with limit and save it for their recovery more often.
6. They use this in bracket and get edge guarded less, ect, the cycle continues.

Results are how and in what direction the meta evolves, but they don’t make up an objective tier list. Tier lists consider matchup spread, results, moveset, and the effectiveness of strategies. I personally weigh Matchup spread the heaviest (as it is a combination of moveset and strategies) and results the least (as I just explained why).

Didn’t think my post would be this long, and I doubt anyone will read it 100% through (and I don’t blame them) but I want my be-all-and-end-all argument on the matter out there, unabridged and fully explained.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
if you really think leo vs ken was about sonic being shallow or somehow poor then i think you're just misinterpreting what happened. m2k was correct conceptually when he said that there are 50/50s that you can create against sonic's neutral, but he also noted that ken was only willing to play the spin dash game against mk essentially. he actually played a lot more grab heavy and had more mixups against the cloud, but i don't really think he knew how to play the mk matchup a different way other than abusing spin dash. m2k's points mostly applied to specific aspects of ken's gameplay that leo could abuse because of how ken played the mk matchup specifically. i'd also like to remind that it's very unlikely leo would have won without m2k there to pick up on ken's specific habits, because it's not like leo didn't know how to fight sonic. leo has notable sonic experience from playing against wonf numerous times, and clearly showed he could obliterate 6wx. i'm not sure we are talking about a set that breaks down sonic, but rather a set of options that worked against the specific way ken played the mk matchup.

also, someone mentioned timeouts having to do with the weakness of his neutral, and that really could not be less true. sonic can run away and time out the match, but that is mostly because he has the speed and the options (spin dash he can reactively punish approaches with and cancel into shield, spring shenanigans, spin shot) to prevent his opponent from catching him. it is NOT because sonic cannot play neutral effectively. sonic's neutral is mostly about a hot/cold, bait-and-punish style, which is exactly how ken plays and pretty accurate to how 6wx currently plays. it's very difficult to force sonic to commit to anything, and his neutral is not really unsafe. he has a lot of mixups in this style, and i've even seen ken playing sonic kind of like a grappler. it's hard to punish him for running past you and spin dash or grab, it's hard to punish him for mixing it up and falling down a nair cross up on your shield, it's hard to punish him for running around in neutral, and it's hard to punish him for reacting with cancel/release spin dash unless you achieve the perfect spacing for it to work (not easy for most characters). there's a lot of options for you to account for and unreactable situations that sonic can set up. yes, sonic can be punished in certain situations if you guess the correct counterplay, but that just means sonic doesn't ALWAYS win neutral.

you are especially not going to tell me that the #1 ranked player in the country with by far the most sonic representation and a country with players renowned for effective neutral is playing a character with a 'shallow' or 'ineffective' neutral. there are so few characters capable of consistently out-neutraling sonic; in fact, that list is pretty much just sheik. sonic can contend with diddy neutral, cloud neutral, rosa neutral, etc. it's been proven time and time again that sonic is capable of competing with characters that have elite neutrals. so yes, sonic has an elite neutral.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Eh. An elite neutral is one that allows you to make plays safely, imo. If Diddy pulls a banana, he has a million safe mix-ups from it. Same for Sheik with needles. Sonic has to come at you. Sure he can bait and punish pretty well, but it all culminates in him getting in your face somehow.

If you play safely, it negates a lot of his game. Another example of this is Tsu vs KEN, where Tsu abused pivot grab. What would Sheik do in such a situation? Throw needles. Diddy? Banana/Monkey Flip. Sonic... has to bait the pivot grab and try again. Not necessarily a bad thing either - he gets stage control and all. But his options are limited by something so simple.

Oh, and the thing about the "bait and punish" game is that it's a super player vs player style. Yes, Sonic has great tools to play bait and punish... But an opponent that understands his options can make the baiting part quite difficult.

EDIT: That last paragraph is especially important. Because just as Leo, with all the Sonic experience you mentioned was playing it totally incorrectly vs KEN, I wouldn't put a lot of what you mentioned so high. I'm actually curious to see how ZeRo plays the Sonic MU after he speaks with Salem.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Certainly better than the likes of
:4bowserjr::4dedede::4littlemac::4zelda::4wiifit::4palutena::4kirby::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4drmario::4pacman::4wario::4falco:

I feel he still has a lot of room to grow.
I'm not that optimistic about Roy and would leave out :4wario2::4myfriends::4littlemac: and maybe :4palutena::4wiifit:.

About :4link: being high tier: no. A lot of people do like to underestimate Link and (imo) falsely say their character has a +1 against him but he doesn't destroy any characters either. Link can do well against most characters besides Sheik. He has the power of a heavy weight and therefor the smash 4 early rage kill/comeback factor. It still isn't as good as :4bowser::4dk:'s hoo haws and I can't see Link being better than them. Bomb>Fair is great, Dthrow>Uair works sometimes although not as strong as the heavy's and Link has good setups and footsies but so do other characters. :4robinm: has checkmate, :4lucas: has a lot off grabs if I understand him correctly, :4rob: can Ro-Bo or whatever that's called, etc. As easy as it looks for Link to dominate, he needs to outplay high and top tiers at least a little and can be dominated himself. He doesn't counter any characters; high tiers should have several +1s, a few +2s or better and a couple top tier MUs they're good at. Link has a balanced MU spread of mostly even MUs with some +/-1s, perfect for a mid tier, lacking for a high tier.

Link does have a +1 vs ZSS and Luigi, this is not just my opinion players like Cat think it too. Some people say he beats Villager but in my experience it's even. Mewtwo's considered even by Link and Mewtwo players. So Link has a few top tier MU selling points. Unfortunately there are gate keepers against him like Sheik and Marcina and other top tiers mostly have +1s vs Link.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Is Ness a good character? I mean sure, but in this fictitious example, let’s say he’s high tier. FOW enters a tournament and soars through pools with his solo Ness. Things are looking good until he gets into top 32 and, uh-oh, if Dabuz beats Luhtie, FOW has to deal with the 20-80 Ness vs Rosa matchup… but, this is Smash 4 and Luhtie upsets Dabuz! FOW now avoids the rosa matchup and beats Luhtie and ends up winning the entire tournament, never once facing a Rosalina. Is Ness all of a sudden a top tier character because he won a major? Let’s say the same thing happens again at a different major and FOW wins by avoiding the Rosalina matchup. Is Ness top tier? He just won two majors… Well, there’s things to consider.

1. Is FOW a god? Did FOW grind and grind and grind and become the new ZeRo?
2. What happens when he has to fight a Rosalina? How important is one really bad matchup even if you’re character is fine otherwise?
3. Could he repeat his success with Luigi or Pit? Or is this something that’s really Ness specific.
4. How are FOW’s opponents doing? Was ZeRo not there? Was Nairo not playing his best? Was MKLeo sick or feeling down?

Just seeing a :4ness: icon at first place at a major doesn’t give you the full picture. Ness’s framedate, killpower, neutral, and range, however, does give you a more complete picture. Ness has a frame 3 jab; that’s worse than ZSS’s jab (frame 1) in terms of frame data objectively. What kinds of combos can Ness get out of jab? Marth and Lucina can kill off of jab at 100 thanks to Dancing Blade and jab into tipper ftilt (Marth only). I don’t know Ness’s jab combos, but in this fictitious example, let’s pretend he has none and that his jab is now frame 7. He would objectively has a worse jab than Marth and Lucina as he has less range, less damage, and less combo game from jab. There would really be no argument as to why Ness has a better jab. Thus, you can begin to rank Ness on actual framedata and attributes that would hold true regardless of whether or not ZeRo is present, Nairo is on a roll, whether or not MKLeo is sick, or how late in the bracket FOW went until he fought a Rosalina. Bracketing, Wellness, and attendance vary from tournament to tournament. ZeRo may be there, a Rosalina may stop FOW… who knows. But Ness will always have a worse jab than Marcina (again, pretend Ness doesn’t get combos from jab), a worse uptilt than X, and a worse grab than Y.
Ness-Rosa isn't 20-80. Frame 3 isn't bad at all, not amazing but good. I don't see what was point of the jab comparisons when every jab in the game does something different and gets the job done. Nice post, don't exaggerate.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
He doesn't counter any characters; high tiers should have several +1s, a few +2s or better and a couple top tier MUs they're good at. Link has a balanced MU spread of mostly even MUs with some +/-1s, perfect for a mid tier, lacking for a high tier.
In this game? Several +1s is basically Mr. R's Sheik MU chart. And going by Emblem Lord's description of Ryu MUs, he'd qualify as a mid tier here.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Ness-Rosa isn't 20-80. Frame 3 isn't bad at all, not amazing but good. I don't see what was point of the jab comparisons when every jab in the game does something different and gets the job done. Nice post, don't exaggerate.
True. I was mainly using fictitious examples to convey my point and objectivity. Good point though about exaggerating the Rosa MU and sorry if it sounded like I was saying a frame 3 jab is bad.

Thanks for reading it.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I'm not that optimistic about Roy and would leave out :4wario2::4myfriends::4littlemac: and maybe :4palutena::4wiifit:.

About :4link: being high tier: no. A lot of people do like to underestimate Link and (imo) falsely say their character has a +1 against him but he doesn't destroy any characters either. Link can do well against most characters besides Sheik. He has the power of a heavy weight and therefor the smash 4 early rage kill/comeback factor. It still isn't as good as :4bowser::4dk:'s hoo haws and I can't see Link being better than them. Bomb>Fair is great, Dthrow>Uair works sometimes although not as strong as the heavy's and Link has good setups and footsies but so do other characters. :4robinm: has checkmate, :4lucas: has a lot off grabs if I understand him correctly, :4rob: can Ro-Bo or whatever that's called, etc. As easy as it looks for Link to dominate, he needs to outplay high and top tiers at least a little and can be dominated himself. He doesn't counter any characters; high tiers should have several +1s, a few +2s or better and a couple top tier MUs they're good at. Link has a balanced MU spread of mostly even MUs with some +/-1s, perfect for a mid tier, lacking for a high tier.

Link does have a +1 vs ZSS and Luigi, this is not just my opinion players like Cat think it too. Some people say he beats Villager but in my experience it's even. Mewtwo's considered even by Link and Mewtwo players. So Link has a few top tier MU selling points. Unfortunately there are gate keepers against him like Sheik and Marcina and other top tiers mostly have +1s vs Link.
What makes the Falchions so bad? I agree they're losing, but I don't think it's gatekeeper working. I also kinda agree with your sentiment on Link (though am a bit more optimistic, having reliable kill confirms out of grab in this game instantly brings you to at least mid tier), but I don't think having a whole bunch of even MUs is necessarily a bad thing. Sheik and arguably Sonic are really the only characters that beat him worse than +1 and he has a lot of good matchups with top tiers, even if they're not outright winning ( :4zss: :4diddy: :4mewtwo: being at the forefront). In general, due to how close matchups are in this game in comparison to other games I find myself seeing -1 as not necessarily bad, but moreso I have to work a little harder. Heck, even -2 isn't bad enough to the point where I think I'm disadvantaged, as IMO Link's only -2 MU (Sheik is worse than this) is fairly easily dealt with if you manage your stage bans.

Sorry, this probably doesn't relate to your point at all... or even make a whole lot of sense.

Speaking of Sonic, he's actually fairly weak to platform camping. I've noticed this a lot when I face a Sonic as Link, but Sonic doesn't have great options to reach someone on platforms. His jump is kinda slow, and it takes him time to reach the top platform unless he spins at you, which is predictable and somewhat reactable if he starts it as a distance. He doesn't do a ton of shield damage compared to how fast shields regenerate either, and if he's spinning at you he can't just instantly stop and grab you to force you out of it, giving you quite a bit of time to get the lead and bat him away. In my opinion, if your character doesn't win vs Sonic and has the mobility to do this (Hint: Is your character more mobile than Link? If yes, you can do this.), it's definitely worth a shot if you can manage your % so the Sonic can't camp you back.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Lucas has one of the best grab rewards of all characters. His DThrow is a solid combo throw for a very long time and can even confirm into an UAir kill. Meanwhile he has the best overall kill power among his remaining throws for all characters. Positioning doesn't mean jack to him; if he grabs you between 130%-150% you're probably going to die. Earlier if he's at the ledge or you play a light character.

Ignoring their similar specials, I feel like Lucas is a more option-rich character than Ness. Ness thrives on powerful, explosive options that compensate for his middling mobility and mediocre ground/neutral game (his grab notwithstanding). All of his aerials autocancel (DAir doesn't exist) and they are all some combination of big, fast, and powerful. He has to play carefully to get in on a lot of characters but the reward makes it worth it.

Lucas, on the other hand, has the tools to apply pressure at midrange and can stuff most approaches with the right option. His ground game is stronger than Ness's, but that comes at the price of more committal aerials. And, while he has similar reward to Ness from similar conversions, he generally requires a little more finesse to get the best rewards. His footstool combos in particular stand out as something he has over Ness; they're not as intuitive or straightforward as what Ness can do but the yield is fantastic.

Sorry if this feels kind of rambling or lacking; I'm tired and don't want to go over everything (especially when my Lucas knowledge is a little lacking). But it feels like for situations where Ness has one good option, Lucas has two. It just takes a lot of practice to know to use what where. I'm kind of waiting for a strong Lucas rep to come and make waves because it seems like a shame that he's as low as he is.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Lucas has one of the best grab rewards of all characters. His DThrow is a solid combo throw for a very long time and can even confirm into an UAir kill. Meanwhile he has the best overall kill power among his remaining throws for all characters. Positioning doesn't mean jack to him; if he grabs you between 130%-150% you're probably going to die. Earlier if he's at the ledge or you play a light character.

Ignoring their similar specials, I feel like Lucas is a more option-rich character than Ness. Ness thrives on powerful, explosive options that compensate for his middling mobility and mediocre ground/neutral game (his grab notwithstanding). All of his aerials autocancel (DAir doesn't exist) and they are all some combination of big, fast, and powerful. He has to play carefully to get in on a lot of characters but the reward makes it worth it.

Lucas, on the other hand, has the tools to apply pressure at midrange and can stuff most approaches with the right option. His ground game is stronger than Ness's, but that comes at the price of more committal aerials. And, while he has similar reward to Ness from similar conversions, he generally requires a little more finesse to get the best rewards. His footstool combos in particular stand out as something he has over Ness; they're not as intuitive or straightforward as what Ness can do but the yield is fantastic.

Sorry if this feels kind of rambling or lacking; I'm tired and don't want to go over everything (especially when my Lucas knowledge is a little lacking). But it feels like for situations where Ness has one good option, Lucas has two. It just takes a lot of practice to know to use what where. I'm kind of waiting for a strong Lucas rep to come and make waves because it seems like a shame that he's as low as he is.
His Dair technically is used pretty much for auto cancellation however due to the absurd 19 frames of start up (What possible reason was there to make a aerial frame 20) but where it lacks in usability as a attack Ness gains a solid option to cancel lag from moves (Aerial PK Fire for example) or landing (DJ onto platform and quickly FF Dair cancel to initiate a offensive move very quickly) and it had niche use as a locking tool so it's not totally worthless (it's still pretty bad)

Ness also has decent footstool combos he can set up out of Nair, Falling Up air and grounded footstool (I believe he can actually grounded footstool into PKT2 DK and it's true) id love to see a high level Ness start using them more because they are quite devastating combos. They aren't as practical as Lucas but they exist.

Good post I just felt a need to comment

Rizen

Smash Legend
What makes the Falchions so bad? I agree they're losing, but I don't think it's gatekeeper working. I also kinda agree with your sentiment on Link (though am a bit more optimistic, having reliable kill confirms out of grab in this game instantly brings you to at least mid tier), but I don't think having a whole bunch of even MUs is necessarily a bad thing. Sheik and arguably Sonic are really the only characters that beat him worse than +1 and he has a lot of good matchups with top tiers, even if they're not outright winning ( :4zss: :4diddy: :4mewtwo: being at the forefront). In general, due to how close matchups are in this game in comparison to other games I find myself seeing -1 as not necessarily bad, but moreso I have to work a little harder. Heck, even -2 isn't bad enough to the point where I think I'm disadvantaged, as IMO Link's only -2 MU (Sheik is worse than this) is fairly easily dealt with if you manage your stage bans.

Sorry, this probably doesn't relate to your point at all... or even make a whole lot of sense.

Speaking of Sonic, he's actually fairly weak to platform camping. I've noticed this a lot when I face a Sonic as Link, but Sonic doesn't have great options to reach someone on platforms. His jump is kinda slow, and it takes him time to reach the top platform unless he spins at you, which is predictable and somewhat reactable if he starts it as a distance. He doesn't do a ton of shield damage compared to how fast shields regenerate either, and if he's spinning at you he can't just instantly stop and grab you to force you out of it, giving you quite a bit of time to get the lead and bat him away. In my opinion, if your character doesn't win vs Sonic and has the mobility to do this (Hint: Is your character more mobile than Link? If yes, you can do this.), it's definitely worth a shot if you can manage your % so the Sonic can't camp you back.
Gate keeper might have been a strong word. Marth is harder than Lucina because the tipper is where he out-ranges Link's sword. If you're hitting any closer than the tipper you're giving Link the ability to hit you too. Dying at 60% takes away Link's weight advantage so Marth is -1.5 and Lucina's closer to -1. They're hard because they're more mobile than Link with faster frame data and out-range him with big sweeping slashes. Link has a blind spot about 45 degrees above and in front of him that goes above his jab and is too much in front for Utilt to hit. Pivot Ftilt is a good option but it doesn't hit until frames 15-19 starting behind Link's head and following the sword down, hence why you should pivot. Marcina's slashes are good at abusing that spot. Similarly offstage Link's upB hitbubbles protect him from most attacks, they're transcendent and hit both above and in front of him. Marcina can cut through and upB stage spike when returning. So can Ike but his mobility's worse and his Fair is frame 12 vs Marcina's frame 6. Marcina's punish game with dancing blade sucks for Link too.

IMO Sonic isn't that bad if you ban FD since DH is gone. Probably -1. On BF it feels even due to Link's great use of platforms and Sonic's limited room to maneuver.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
See, this is the kind of discussion I wanted when I asked about Sonic a while ago. Had I brought the topic after Umebura maybe it would've been as detailed as it is now (maybe I won't bring another topic out of the blue if it isn't after a certain show on a major, or directed to the regulars of this thread [Lucina, Shulk, Link, Ryu, etc.]). But anyway.

Also, it was briefly mentioned so I'll bring my two cents: when thinking about Tier Lists, I consider matchups over any other thing. The more favorable matchups the better, the more favorable *weighed* matchups, the best.

That's why I think Diddy is #1: he doesn't have a significant disadvantage against any of the top ~12 characters (goes about even or beats everyone, the toughest matchups among them are maybe Cloud and Rosa), instead it is against not very relevant characters that he will likely not face at all during a large tournament.
Then we have Bayonetta, who despite not losing many matchups either, goes evenish against almost everyone up there, only having a clear advantage against Cloud. In a strictly mathematical sense, she will face them very often, having bigger chances to lose against them than Diddy.
And I would be more specific but hopefully I've given away my main point.

:196:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
You're probably right. I wasn't properly weighing Roy's fragility. You can't have a neutral that unsafe with a fatal disadvantage
His neutral isn't really unsafe, hes a swordie, with good spacing almost everything is safe on block. Its just not that scary playing neutral against him. Imagine getting hit by a tipper Ike dtilt, you just took 20+ and now you'r offstage or cornered where he can mix you up with another dtilt, jabs, or grab, all of which put you offstage anyways. Now you're trying to get off the ledge against someone who does 14% with a frame 7 back air that can cover every one of your ledge options except for ledge hang. Now imagine getting hit by a Roy dtilt, that doesn't start getting scary until around 110 where he can tech chase with ftilt and utilt

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
His neutral isn't really unsafe, hes a swordie, with good spacing almost everything is safe on block. Its just not that scary playing neutral against him. Imagine getting hit by a tipper Ike dtilt, you just took 20+ and now you'r offstage or cornered where he can mix you up with another dtilt, jabs, or grab, all of which put you offstage anyways. Now you're trying to get off the ledge against someone who does 14% with a frame 7 back air that can cover every one of your ledge options except for ledge hang. Now imagine getting hit by a Roy dtilt, that doesn't start getting scary until around 110 where he can tech chase with ftilt and utilt
I agree that his nuetral isn't that scary because pokes get him nothing (grabs and falling uair are frightening tho), but I don't agree that his nuetral isn't that unsafe. Given his stupidly low air friction, Roy struggles to space his aerials well without committing more than any other FE char in smash 4.
Ftilt and dtilt are pretty safe tho. But again, don't lead to anything.

Last edited:

OverTime

Smash Cadet
This reminds me of a recent Twitter post from Leo, where he says Cloud is his most powerful character.

I disagreed because the other Sword characters force him to play a smart grounded game which Cloud doesn't exactly benefit from regarding an offensive standpoint. Leo is really good at poking with safe grounded options and Micro-Spacing. He abuses Marth's tilts really well for that reason, as well as Metaknight's more limited ground game.

Cloud doesn't have that so Leo can't abuse his personal best trait. He just has an already strong character that benefits greatly from what he refined with other character choices.

ThePokéYoshi

Smash Cadet
3 Pools for Greninja Saga changed:

A4: VoiD :4sheik: VS Xzax :4fox:/ Lea :4greninja: (used to be: VoiD :4sheik: VS Mr. E :4lucina::4marth:/ Lea :4greninja:)
A5: Locus :4ryu: VS Mr. E :4lucina::4marth:/ Regi :4gaw: (used to be: Locus :4ryu: VS NAKAT :4fox::4ness:/ Regi :4gaw:)
A6: Abadango :4bayonetta::4mewtwo: VS NAKAT :4fox::4ness:/ Venia :4greninja: (used to be: Abadango :4bayonetta::4mewtwo: VS Xzax :4fox:/ Venia :4greninja:)

With this change I feel like Mr.E has a bigger chance of making it out in Winners. He had to play Lea and then VoiD before but now it's Regi and then Locus which I'd say is more doable.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I agree that his nuetral isn't that scary because pokes get him nothing (grabs and falling uair are frightening tho), but I don't agree that his nuetral isn't that unsafe. Given his stupidly low air friction, Roy struggles to space his aerials well without committing more than any other FE char in smash 4.
His ftilt kills earlier than :4marth:, :4lucina:, :4myfriends:, :4robinm: and :4corrin: though, problem is that the set up is rather situational.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
EDIT: That last paragraph is especially important. Because just as Leo, with all the Sonic experience you mentioned was playing it totally incorrectly vs KEN, I wouldn't put a lot of what you mentioned so high. I'm actually curious to see how ZeRo plays the Sonic MU after he speaks with Salem.
Does Salem have any notable Sonic experience except 6WX? ZeRo already performs well against most Sonic players and despite that he still thinks highly of Sonic, which I think is mainly on account of him playing with Japanese players more than most top professionals do, as well as holding their meta in high regard. I'm curious whether he overrates them in the grand scheme of things but I don't know what Salem would have to change his opinion.

I'd say you got it backwards. Sonic is weak to platform camping but only when he's the one who's forced to do the camping, primarily because Sonic has poor landing options. If Sonic is above you, he is in an inherently worse position against a good chunk of the top tiers. Duck Hunt was the only stage where platform camping was a good option for him because the high platform was offset by the horizontal distance he could use to get back on ground level, but he doesn't have that anymore. On a stage like Battlefield though, Sonic is going to be forced to resort going for the ledge if he wants to get back safely.

If anything I'd say Sonic would want most of his opponents to be above him because UAir is a great pressure tool and his Up B is a great vertical burst option. Link is probably more of an inverse exception since he has tools to control the mid-range from just about any direction (bomb platform to fish out approach from below), and as previously mentioned, Sonic gets stuffed easily by characters who can push him out.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
His ftilt kills earlier than :4marth:, :4lucina:, :4myfriends:, :4robinm: and :4corrin: though, problem is that the set up is rather situational.
To be fair, Ike's Ftilt all over only has 3 KBG less than Roy's hilt Ftilt and everything else is the same. The disjoint probably makes up for that. I agree though, Roy has serious power.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice

I will preface this by saying I do think Lucas is overall a stronger character than Ness. He’s quietly been putting in work for a long time now and I think one day he may very well surprise a lot of people. I will also say that I appreciate your distinction of the two characters; this is one of the few comparisons of the two I’ve seen that is meaningful and not misguided. My aim here is not to disagree with you but to flesh this line of thinking out further.

First thing I want to touch on is Lucas’ options. Yes he is more option-rich in neutral and it’s not even close. Ness’ neutral just about has everything he needs from it to tie his game together, but Lucas has overall superior pokes, anti-approach tools (on this point, his U-tilt beats Cloud’s sour Dair – the more you know) and pressure tools. This shouldn’t be news to anyone, but don’t let this fool you into thinking that his neutral completely outclasses Ness’ – they’re equipped to serve slightly different methods of achieving the same core goal (grab). His OOS options are not that good, especially in contrast to Ness’. (Jab OOS is pretty great mind. Lucas’ Jab is so good) Moreover, his burst options are not really there. Very slow dash attack similar to Marth, tether grab, slow ground movement (actually slower than Ness’ I believe but not noticeable), and his aerials aren’t good for this role at all except maybe Fair but… nah. This does suck when you get to fighting characters who are either fast, have a substantial disjoint, or both (Lucas, like Ness, also has a range problem and struggles with most swordies), but I intend to look at some matchups later.

Lucas PK Fire (LPKF) is a good tool to have but it is not an abusable projectile. For a start it has significant start up and end lag. Lucas players circumvent this by “autospacing” it and using the aerial momentum gained to push Lucas backwards and make it quote-unquote “safe”. What barely anyone seems to have picked up on despite it staring us all in the face is that Lucas loses any and all stage control doing so and Lucas isn’t exactly well-equipped to regain it. Should LPKF whiff you will find yourself with a problem of your own construction. When used well, the move is good and the situation becomes advantageous for Lucas if it connects. It’s all about that risk-reward. I felt this was important to talk about because it is an important part of Lucas’ kit, and illustrates some of the interesting facets of his broader neutral with the move's repercussions (positive and negative). His neutral is perhaps quote-unquote “better” than Ness’ overall with less gaps and more effective core attributes, particularly for Smash 4, but it is also more fragile. You touched on this I think but it deserves another look.

Moving into advantage state, Ness trumps Lucas quite significantly imo (not to say that Lucas’ is bad by any stretch). I daresay he has more options in most situations here and they’re stronger than Lucas’ too. Lucas’ Footstool locks are great and all but if there’s a platform in your way, best of luck. Lucas has true combos out of down throw for longer but beyond 40% or so it becomes single-hit followups. Ness’ down throw combos outdamage Lucas at early % but will also set up for airdodge reads which are more dangerous than Lucas (bar fastfall up smash on fastfallers like Fox and Roy). You can Jump away from Lucas fairly free instead of airdodge anyway because he has a very limited ability to juggle. His up air is a good move and Lucas players underrate it to the point where it irritates me more than it should, but he can’t use it to juggle and it has nothing on Ness’. Lucas’ PKT (LPKT) also has nothing on NPKT when it comes to juggling. Ness’ grab will also set up edgeguard situations past combo %, which Ness is remarkably good at obviously.
Speaking of PKTs and edgeguards, a lot of Lucas players have told me that Lucas’ is better for edgeguarding than Ness’ is. I’ll be honest, they have not convinced me at all. Yes it goes through people and drags them down, cool stuff. It’s also slow as hell to move and Lucas goes into a crapton of endlag (70 frames!). If you get past one of them, which isn’t that hard, you get back to the stage for free and potentially get a punish on Lucas. If any Lucas players in the thread want to correct me than please do. To be fair Lucas can gimp the likes of Marth and Cpt Falcon by trading nair with their up b but when it comes to edgeguarding and ledgeguarding as a whole, Ness is vastly more dangerous imo.
Lucas may have the edge on tech chasing and challenging landings compared to Ness when looking at how many different ways he can address those situations effectively.

I appreciate I’ve talked for ever already but now we have neutral and advantage out the way we can start to look at some of their top tier matchups, which is worth looking at in relation to this question about options.
-Lucas vs Rosalina is about as even as it gets. PK Blueberry vs Dabuz is a good showing for this and the matchup is an excellent example of one where Lucas’ more numerous options are more effective than any of Ness’ more limited options. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz3v3cuQmCI) Doesn't mean Ness goes 8-2 with her though, Floor ;)
-Sheik arguably destroys Lucas more than Ness. My reasoning in a nutshell is that while in the Ness matchup, Sheik doesn’t limit Ness’ key strengths so much as she exploits his critical shortcomings, in the Lucas matchup Sheik is able to nulify Lucas’ key strengths throughout the match whilst also abusing some of his important weaknesses. I get that Lucas has a better neutral, but that only counts for so much if you can’t effectively use it. I am of the opinion that Lucas’ neutral is less use against Sheik than Ness’ is. Maybe you’re questioning my logic so to get at what I’m saying, compare these recent sets of Taiheita vs Nietono to FOW vs Nietono to get a feel for it and make your own judgement. If you don’t agree with me than that’s fine, I’d love someone else’s insight. (just give more evidence than the results of those sets please!)
Taiheita: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvEbezCqbf4
FOW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UUIhzcWc2s
-Though for the same reasons I listed for Sheik, I would rather use my crappy Lucas against Diddy any day so swings and roundabouts I suppose. (We're not sleeping on a counter, Lucas solidly loses to Diddy, this is just a personal comfort thing)
-Also don’t expect much from from Lucas this weekend because he sucks against Greninja :]

I need to cut this here because it’s getting far too long. What I’m trying to get at is that Lucas is a powerful character, but the question of whether or not he is better than Ness is far from black and white. As I mentioned at the start I do believe that Lucas is probably a better character than Ness overall, but I hope I’ve illustrated that Lucas does not objectively outclass Ness in every way and – most importantly – should not be leagues ahead of him in any tier list. Maybe it’s similar to the Bowser and DK dilemma. Then again maybe it’s not. Let’s avoid simplistic comparisons.
That said, Lucas is better than everyone in his current tier bar Olimar imo (and better than some in B), so yes I suppose I do think he can go up a tier. But he needs the representation in order to do so and with the likes of Taiheita, Mekos and PK Blueberry not attending much and Kodystri and JeBB dropping him for top tiers, it may not happen any time soon.
That doesn’t mean it’s not possible though, the character is certainly more than capable.

I do apologise for the size of this but I don’t want to cut it down any further (I've already cut out most of what I wrote about neutral). Thanks for reading.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I remember you saying you weren't going to bring up Kirby, but I'm curious.

What were you gonna say about him? Do you feel he still has a lot of room to grow?
I remember seeing the sentiment that his mains have barely begun to even scratch the surface of his meta.
In general, I still stand by that. I usually talk about a lot of underused stuff, but now I realize that even the basics aren't there for most.

That is -

Most don't get enough off of a conversion, which is bad for a character with a basic neutral...

Most are too aggressive in MUs where Kirby's approach options are even worse (Mewtwo, Corrin, etc.)...

Most can't edgeguard or ledge trap properly...

And that's before you get into anything really fancy. Not 100% certain on what all of that amounts to on a tier list yet, so I'm not going to disagree with any placements - I understand why. That said, I'd be lying if I said I didn't see more than a few avenues for improvement.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Yeah, that air friction of his is a major pain. Quickly realized that last year when I dedicated a month to using him since something as simple as jump towards opponent -> return control stick to neutral to land a tipper fair is rather difficult. On the other hand, Roy actually has slightly better air deceleration compared to most of the cast. I've found that an easier way to space aerials with Roy is to set up your spacing on the ground first with foxtrots and extended dash dances and then either jump forwards, backwards or while the stick is neutral and weave in the air as you need to from that point though it will only be a slight weave due to Roy's poor air acceleration. Problem with this is that foxtrots have more restrictive distances than simply jumping and Roy actually is tied for having the slowest initial dash animation along with Robin, Marth and Lucina.

In general, I find that outside of nair (admittedly, I don't use uair that much), Roy wants to stay on the ground more anyways since he can set things up with his grab, jab and at higher percents, his dtilt.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Why does :4lucas: suck against :4greninja:? I mean Taiheita does well against Some and Oisiitofu, not to mention iStudying lost to TylerDX at Icarus III.

Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Why does :4lucas: suck against :4greninja:? I mean Taiheita does well against Some and Oisiitofu, not to mention Istudying lost to TylerDX at Icarus III.
It's a meme that Greninja is supposed to be Lucas' worst MU but to be fair there is some grounding in it. Basically, you beat Lucas if you can force him to approach you because Lucas can't approach to save his life. Greninja does that very well, and Lucas can be overwhelmed in footsies if he isn't careful. That's mostly due to a combination of Greninja's low profile, large disjoints, general speed.
Obviously Lucas has plenty to fight back. It's not a wash-out (pun intended), it was mostly a poorly-conveyed joke so my b.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Falcon Punch Fridays #15 (46 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Charliedaking :4fox: :4sheik: :4bayonetta2:
2nd: Eon :4fox:
3rd: Mr. Con Con :4luigi:
4th: Stroder :4greninja:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
See, this is the kind of discussion I wanted when I asked about Sonic a while ago. Had I brought the topic after Umebura maybe it would've been as detailed as it is now (maybe I won't bring another topic out of the blue if it isn't after a certain show on a major, or directed to the regulars of this thread [Lucina, Shulk, Link, Ryu, etc.]). But anyway.

Also, it was briefly mentioned so I'll bring my two cents: when thinking about Tier Lists, I consider matchups over any other thing. The more favorable matchups the better, the more favorable *weighed* matchups, the best.

That's why I think Diddy is #1: he doesn't have a significant disadvantage against any of the top ~12 characters (goes about even or beats everyone, the toughest matchups among them are maybe Cloud and Rosa), instead it is against not very relevant characters that he will likely not face at all during a large tournament.
Then we have Bayonetta, who despite not losing many matchups either, goes evenish against almost everyone up there, only having a clear advantage against Cloud. In a strictly mathematical sense, she will face them very often, having bigger chances to lose against them than Diddy.
And I would be more specific but hopefully I've given away my main point.

:196:
hm, i actually don't think this is an accurate representation of their matchups

let's take a top 12 (order here doesn't matter) to be :4bayonetta::4sheik::4cloud2::4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4marth::4lucina::4fox::4mario::4mewtwo::4zss:

if we look at this, bayo has a strong advantage over :4fox: plus slight advantages over :4zss::4mewtwo::4marth::4lucina::4mario:, and goes even with :4sheik::4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4cloud2:

diddy has a strong advantage over :4zss::4mewtwo: and goes even with :4bayonetta::4sheik::4cloud2::4sonic::rosalina::4marth::4lucina::4fox: while losing to :4mario:

feel free to argue with me on particular matchups, but i'm confident that that bayo's mus vs the top 12 are better than diddy's

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Falcon Punch Fridays #15 (46 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Charliedaking :4fox: :4sheik: :4bayonetta2:
2nd: Eon :4fox:
3rd: Mr. Con Con :4luigi:
4th: Stroder :4greninja:

Man many players now are pulling out Bayo's out of the woodwork again. Is Bayo seriously going to be joining the likes of Lucina and DK as the new popular secondary/counterpick characters. Because I remember most attempts for secondary Bayo's not being too sucessful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom