• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n0Sg9wg2tM&feature=youtu.be

ZeRo's Mid Tiers for his tier list.

32: :4pit: :4darkpit:
22: :4rob:
34: :4gaw: (See Dr. Mario)
35 :4shulk:
36: :4drmario: ("I feel like Dr. Mario could be a high tier one day")
37: :4charizard: ("I think Charizard will be in high tier in the future")
38: :4falco:
39: :4duckhunt:
40: :4wiifit:
41: :4feroy:
42: :4wario:
43: :4palutena:
44: :4kirby:
45: :4pacman:
46: :4myfriends:

So yeah, looks like Link's a high tier according to ZeRo.
Link as high tier...Huh. I think Ike one spot below low caught my eye first, how the might have fallen. What happened? Did his play get figured out? I know he lost all his reps basically (San, Rin, the third Ike). Wasn't he said to have a good against Sonic?

Personally, I think his terrible smash attacks hurt him immensely. Probably the worst smashes in the game next to Duck Hunt.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Link as high tier...Huh. I think Ike one spot below low caught my eye first, how the might have fallen. What happened? Did his play get figured out? I know he lost all his reps basically (San, Rin, the third Ike). Wasn't he said to have a good against Sonic?

Personally, I think his terrible smash attacks hurt him immensely. Probably the worst smashes in the game next to Duck Hunt.
He lives off grabs, kinda like bowser/DK. But he gets a lot less reward from it then they do (most of the time, d/uthrow to fair with rage at the ledge is kinda borked).
But he doesn't have a footsies game (unlike them), poor/non existent OoS options, bad dash grab, and the rest of his kit isn't really good at pressuring people in ways that get him grabs (the space Ike is safe to hit you with a sword is way too far away to mix up much; bairs really the only safe thing he can move in with and it telegraphs him a lot).

He's probably one of the best examples of a character who gets "treated like a Brawl low tier" in Smash4.
The cohesiveness isn't there.

Of course he can still compete with his tools, and he's scary in the right hands. Sprinkles of good high tier match ups here and there.
But one could say he was relying on match up inexperience prior to that point.
He really only had one spike of relevancy that never maintained itself. It's been over a year... (Ike's fotm was pre-corrin being released).

Ideal Ike has a really strong jab game that he can mix up from in true '50/50' style to get strong hits that can ko ludicrously early (Brawl Ike jab up tilt #_#).
But it would be problematic to do that for him now when his grab game is as rewarding as it is.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

Links Smash attacks are somewhat slow and laggy but at least they hit like a truck making them good for punishes at least. I can think of quite a few characters whose overall smash attacks are worse.

Samus, DDD, Jigglypuff and as you mentioned Duck Hunt may have one okay Smash attack but the others are near useless.

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
Links Smash attacks are somewhat slow and laggy but at least they hit like a truck making them good for punishes at least. I can think of quite a few characters whose overall smash attacks are worse.

Samus, DDD, Jigglypuff and as you mentioned Duck Hunt may have one okay Smash attack but the others are near useless.
He meant:4myfriends:'s smash attacks, not :4link:'s when he said worst smash attacks. Oh and on the ike discussion: on top of the issues he has already to deal with(very poor oos game, lacks a quick aerial in front of his face, and a flat out awful disadvantage state) he also has a -2 matchup vs sheik and diddy kong which are probably among the worst characters to have a -2 vs.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, a lot of top players have a bad habit of not using all of their character's kit. A lot rely on certain tools without using much else.

Yeah, some tools are bad, but some are just situational and can win a match if used right.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
IMO I don't see Ike as bottom 15, not even in terms of results since he has placed top 16 here and there at majors by lesser known Ike mains. At the very least he shouldn't be ranked lower than Pac, WFT, Charizard, and Doc (who lost his only relevant main).

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
He lives off grabs, kinda like bowser/DK. But he gets a lot less reward from it then they do (most of the time, d/uthrow to fair with rage at the ledge is kinda borked).
But he doesn't have a footsies game (unlike them), poor/non existent OoS options, bad dash grab, and the rest of his kit isn't really good at pressuring people in ways that get him grabs (the space Ike is safe to hit you with a sword is way too far away to mix up much; bairs really the only safe thing he can move in with and it telegraphs him a lot).

He's probably one of the best examples of a character who gets "treated like a Brawl low tier" in Smash4.

Of course he can still compete with his tools, and he's scary in the right hands. Sprinkles of good high tier match ups here and there.
He really only had one spike of relevancy that never maintained itself. It's been over a year... (Ike's fotm was pre-corrin being released).

Ideal Ike has a really strong jab game that he can mix up from in true '50/50' style to get strong hits that can ko ludicrously early (Brawl Ike jab up tilt #_#).
But it would be problematic to do that for him now when his grab game is as rewarding as it is.
Well for what its worth, Ike's Jab 1 w/ rage is a really good mix up at high percents. I've been able to combo it into D-Smash, F-Tilt, and Grab at kill percents numerous times, though it mainly seems to work on floaties more than any other character.

Do agree with your opinions though. From my experience playing Ike, he's very limited in neutral compared to other grab based characters like Mario and Bowser just because he lacks a lot of the effective neutral tools like Mario's Bair or Up Smash, or Bowsers Side B and Up B OOS. Moves like his F-Tilt and Fair, while safe when spaced, are extremely telegraphed due to their poor frame data. Additionally, Ike also lacks some of the finishers that make Mario and Bowser extremely dangerous when the opponent make a mistake like an airdodge landing (i.e. Mario's F-Smash, Bowser's F-Smash) because all of his Smashes are extremely telegraphed (though Up Smash can be good at catching landings due to its high number of active frames). And like you said, his combo game is generally less versatile than the aforementioned character.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

I'll respond to this post to avoid having posts getting too out of hand from lack of info.

I think saying he "lives off grabs" is a little too extreme. His combo options are as follows:
  • Dthrow:
    • Optimal Usage: 0-20% for footstool combo. Standard footstool combo is [dthrow->footstool->nair->regrab->uthrow + fair] or dthrow->footstool->dair(lock)->nair+bair or uthrow->fair. Can optionally be extended through nair->footstool chains at lower % and dair->footstool chains at higher %.
    • Scales poorly with rage. Has a high "50/50" window where they can't jump, but they can air dodge, ~40-60% rage-dependent, afterwards it can't combo at all.
  • Uthrow: People know about this one enough, so I'll list more rare knowledge.
    • Kill confirms best at low rage, and on big bodies/fast-fallers. Kill confirm options: uair, nair, and fair all have their own % ranges and positions. (No rage) Uair: ~75-85%, Nair: ~100%, Fair: ~90-110% with 1/3 of the stage left (wider range at the very edge). 0% No rage uthrow->fair can sometimes work at even higher %s depending on the character.
    • Uthrow below platforms can trap into regrabs/landing traps with nair. You can also landing trap uthrow with a delayed nair, but that's more difficult.
  • Dtilt:
    • From 0-20%, dtilt->bair is safer to use. At worst, dtilt->bair trades with frame 3 nairs, frame traps air dodges (can sometimes escape if dtilted at 0), and beats double jumps.
    • After 20%, dtilt->fair works until like 50-60 depending on the rage. It 50/50s at the 70-90% range
  • Fair/Bair:
    • Combos into dash attack at the 25-35% area, or slightly more with bad DI/good positioning.
  • Nair: Pretty much everything above: Grab, Dtilt, Footstools, and aerials. Sourspot kill confirms into fair/bair/uair, but that is rare since raw hits/grabs are easier to land anyways.
  • Jab: Only has reliably solid followups with rage. With sufficient rage (70-80+%), jab->dtilt becomes true on some, jab->dash grab can be nearly inescapable, and mixups become much better, due to more hitstun. It depends on the weight and physics of the opponent. Works best on light fastfallers minus Greninja at very high rage and medium weight fastfallers at the 80-100% range.
I also think he does have a footsie game. Not having a god jab hurts, but like Marth, Ike benefits from every global movement option such as perfect pivots and everything concerning fox trots, since he can outbutton others during a frontal clash. Mixing up jab1 and jab2 along with dtilt helps control space without being as commital as a tilt/aerial, while he can retreat with dashes, pivot grabs, perfect pivots, etc.

Ike has a bit more than bair to move in with, although it's admittedly his best. He has two general preferred tomahawk ranges: grab range and max dtilt/jab range. He can mix between these two tomahawk ranges while pressuring with standard aerials if he wishes. Attempts to powershield eventually leads to an easier time grabbing.

Ike does have a poor time getting grab without risk, but moves such as dtilt are a lot more easier to hit.

I just wanted to go over these two things, since otherwise it'll be too much of a wall of text (I can go over any other part if needed). Many aspects simply aren't popularized or practiced to the point where we can see Fox "vortex" someone. Granted, I never helped much with that since I can't play this game all too much. A lot of play I see is pretty sloppy too, missing even the most basic uthrow->fair sometimes. Ike definitely gets beat up a lot, but comparatively for the ~6-7th best survivability it's not that bad in that weight class.

SideB mixups and ledge pressure are probably the most underutilized parts of his game right now. EDIT: And frame trapping, many Ike players are pretty bad at this.

I think he's a fairly tough character to use and be good with, so I can only see his usage decrease among your average player, even though I still think he's middle of the pack overall. I don't think he's as basic as people say, but people definitely play him that way right now.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Sin :4jigglypuff: 2-0 Dynamo :4sheik: at MSM tonight!

While Dynamo isn't the best player to upset, it's something, and sin is a win away from making winners quarters with Solo Puff.

Socal sure is something, huh?

Wether or not this has any bearing on Puff's tier placement is up in the air, but Sin might be the player Puff needed.

EDIT: Taternator :4ludwig: 2-1 Tyrant :4metaknight: at the same tournament.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Adding to this, Ike is definitely a lot harder to use and requires a ton of patience when fighting higher level players using top tiers (since most of them can punish even the slightest mis-spaced move and over-commitment), but he's also a lot less basic than most people realize given his optimized punishes like his previously mentioned footstool combos.

I still think d-tilt > footstool from 0% could be explored more, it mainly works on fast fallers like Bayonetta which I feel is pretty valuable enough on its own.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Adding to this, Ike is definitely a lot harder to use and requires a ton of patience when fighting higher level players using top tiers (since most of them can punish even the slightest mis-spaced move and over-commitment), but he's also a lot less basic than most people realize given his optimized punishes like his previously mentioned footstool combos.

I still think d-tilt > footstool from 0% could be explored more, it mainly works on fast fallers like Bayonetta which I feel is pretty valuable enough on its own.
Dtilt->footstool isn't true. Uthrow->footstool is only true for a small % margin around 25-30% on mid-heavyweights.
The smash calc at http://rubendal.github.io/Sm4sh-Calculator/index.html gives a good idea of the frame advantage on hit (I think Ike's endlag FAF on uthrow/dthrow is around 15/18 respectively)

Dtilt already autolocks people in a bad situation, should get a good 30-40% if they don't want to just eat the aerial. Sometimes, Ike players go for dtilt->fair at <15% when they're too close to a frame-3 nair opponent. Dtilt->bair is appropriate in those situations, although it takes some practice to master.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Marth and Lucina are deserving of top 15 for sure. Yeah, he shot up after Leo was a thing and Leo's success is dwindling and he is using other characters more... but I feel Leo put Marth and Lucina where they should have been all along.

Marth and Lucina have an undeniably strong playstyle that works. Countless times you hear "so and so is a great character but ... they struggle with swordies". Marth and Lucina are the epitome of a solid swordie.

I never thought Mkleo was a definite top 5 player. He was never top 3 and top 5 was up in the air; like Tsu, I feel like he came in, bumped his character up, and is now struggling to find that spotlight again. MKleo has to prove he's consistent, just like Tsu. His remarkable 2-time performance at ZeroSaga and G4 opened the envelope of "where is Marth and Lucina". Now he needs to support his claim. In the meantime, I think it's safe to say they're top 15. Somewhere between the two.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Marth and Lucina are deserving of top 15 for sure. Yeah, he shot up after Leo was a thing and Leo's success is dwindling and he is using other characters more... but I feel Leo put Marth and Lucina where they should have been all along.

Marth and Lucina have an undeniably strong playstyle that works. Countless times you hear "so and so is a great character but ... they struggle with swordies". Marth and Lucina are the epitome of a solid swordie.

I never thought Mkleo was a definite top 5 player. He was never top 3 and top 5 was up in the air; like Tsu, I feel like he came in, bumped his character up, and is now struggling to find that spotlight again. MKleo has to prove he's consistent, just like Tsu. His remarkable 2-time performance at ZeroSaga and G4 opened the envelope of "where is Marth and Lucina". Now he needs to support his claim. In the meantime, I think it's safe to say they're top 15. Somewhere between the two.
leo is positive in sets against 7 of the pgr top 10, having played many sets against them at this point, and won the last two tier 1 events

he already proved himself and the only person who has the accomplishments to be ranked ahead of him is zero. ally is inconsistent and hasn't won a tier 1 since evo. nairo has not taken a set off zero since mlg 2015, let alone a 3-0 victory, and isn't even more consistent than leo this season (17th at genesis). leo is the second best player in the world right now and it's not close. period. i'm tired of people talking about this like it's some kind of debate.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

Marth definitely. Heck you could make a feasible arugment for him possibly being top 10 as well.

But Lucina? Unless she wins one or more tier one majors like with Leo did with Marth you can't say that she is as good as him. Until then can't see her being higher than # 20-16 on the list. You cannot say with a straight face that Marth's tipper does not play a large factor in what makes him great and his overall recent success.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
leo is positive in sets against 7 of the pgr top 10, having played many sets against them at this point, and won the last two tier 1 events

he already proved himself and the only person who has the accomplishments to be ranked ahead of him is zero. ally is inconsistent and hasn't won a tier 1 since evo. nairo has not taken a set off zero since mlg 2015, let alone a 3-0 victory, and isn't even more consistent than leo this season (17th at genesis). leo is the second best player in the world right now and it's not close. period. i'm tired of people talking about this like it's some kind of debate.
so we're just gonna ignore nairo placing 3rd at frostbite and him double eliminating MK Leo at KI con, ok

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
My issue with Lucina is that her placement and relevance is riding almost entirely on Marth. She has done almost nothing to prove that she is a viable solo character and the only reason why people think shes good is because people know Marth is good

Routa

Smash Lord
I think it is important that we talk about Marth and Lucina more. There are still things we need to talk about like the lack of results outside the America.
Also speaking of trapping... I completely forgot that. My bad. That reminds me that I have been talking ex-brawl "barons" about Sm4sh and they all have talked about the importance of trapping and how little people are going for traps according to them. I think we should also talk about that too.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Agreed everytime this topic comes up the board nearly goes down in flames. Keep the comparisons off the table please.
Absolutely not. ZeRo always uses them together where applicable. When Zero is analyzing a weakness of Yoshi, let's say, he uses "marth and Lucina" because they're literally 98% the same character. A lot of people include lucina wherever Marth is applicable and vice versa. So no, I won't stop using her name. Saying she is banned from this forum is utter nonsense. People just need to be mature seeing the name "Lucina" on a competitive forum. I never once started off a discussion involving Lucina by comparing them; people see her name and instantly have a small meltdown where they draw flowcharts on why Marth is somehow objectively better.

I inherently started off a Lucina v Marth discussion by demonstrating what mkleo has done to boost Marth and Lucinas placement. That should not be banned

so we're just gonna ignore nairo placing 3rd at frostbite and him double eliminating MK Leo at KI con, ok
On the money. Mkleo has to beat the historic consistency of legends like Nairo and Ally. Mkleo had two big events, but since then couldn't take sets off of Trela, Kameme, and Void. Mkleo is a very recent thing; top 3 is not a shoo-in

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
My issue with Lucina is that her placement and relevance is riding almost entirely on Marth. She has done almost nothing to prove that she is a viable solo character and the only reason why people think shes good is because people know Marth is good
I mean, it's not like Lucina has all the exact same frame data as Marth or anything, or all of the tools that make his MU's good.

---

It makes me laugh how people just assume Lucina is a straight up worse Marth/doesn't deserve to be classed as a good character/loses or does worse in MU's compared to Marth. The main excuses are because she lacks a tipper like Marth, or that she hasn't "proved" like he has done; this 2nd point is less of an issue, of which will become clear later.

When comparing Marth and Lucina, what we have to look at is how good they can both play against other characters; in effect, their MU spread. What's notable here is that Marth and Lucina's MU spread are effectively identical. One common misconception is that people rank Marth's MU's slightly better than Lucina's because he has the tipper and Lucina lacks it.

Marth doesn't win MU's because he has a tipper mechanic people
. It has never been this way in past games and is not the case in this game either.

Marth wins MU's because of two vital aspects about his character; range and frame data.

Example: Marth doesn't give Mario trouble in Melee and Brawl because he has a tipper mechanic. Marth does well in those game MU's because the combination of his quick frame data and his high range gives Mario trouble; getting in, off stage play, safely punishing etc - all of these are hard for Mario because of Marth's ability to threaten with a long ranged disjointed hitbox. Marth doesn't beat Mario because he can get randomly tippered at 60% and die, for example; Marth beats Mario because he can succesfully limit what Mario can do thanks to his range and frame data. Tippers have minimal effect on how the main bulk of the MU plays out.

Let's put this into Smash 4 context: Marth still gives Mario trouble in this game; while his frame data has been made, shall we say, less dumb/oppressive, it's still fantastic (such as having one of the lowest overall landing lag/aerial start up totals in the game), and still does what it did in past games. Marth's range has been increased too, so the fact about range still stands true too. This is why Marth gives Mario trouble.

Now, let's look at Lucina. She's a clone of Marth. Lucina has identical frame data to Marth (before people say "but her range is shorter", it's a minuscule difference that has almost no effect on gameplay. Plus, you can still argue that her range is actually still higher than Melee and Brawl Marth too, so there's that). What does this tell us? It shows us that as Lucina has all the things that allows Marth to win MU's, she can do just as well as he can.

The only difference between both the characters are the tipper mechanic Marth has and Lucina lacks. This simply means that Marth can potentially reap rewards earlier than Lucina can (and in the same vein, it also means he could "fail" [fail to KO] for longer than she can). However, no player is able to space tippers 100% of the time. As such, while you can argue Marth can hit a tipper Fair and KO at 90% near the ledge when Lucina cannot, you can also argue that Marth could miss-space that tipper off stage and not KO at 80%, when Lucina doing the same thing in the same situation would land a successful KO.

Essentially, the tipper mechanic rewards AND HINDERS players in certain situations. Lucina lacking said mechanic does not make her an instantly inferior character that has no use in the metagame. The tipper mechanic does arguably make Marth the better choice in the longrun (when you consider the important things such as KO potential), but it certainly does not invalidate Lucina as a character, nor mean she has to prove as much due to how fundamentally similar she plays in MU to MU as Marth.

Tippers do not win MU's folks, which is why any MU Marth can deal with, Lucina can also deal with.

At this point, Marth should realistically be ranked higher than Lucina if only because his skill/reward ceiling is higher than hers. Everything else about the characters is fundamentally the same.

---

Marth and Lucina discussion should not be avoided; there is far too much misconception about the pair that simply refusing to discuss them is backwards for Lucina's development. Discussion is fine as long as people are being civil, of which 90% of the time, it appears people are.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
What MUs does :4lucina: do better in than :4marth:? From a :4link: player's perspective, I'd rather fight Lucina; Marcina has good enough zoning to make tippers work. If they had worse zoning it would be different. I do think Lucina is very good but Marth's better. Yes because tippers.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Corrin the Ike main was in grand finals of Okasuma, a Japanese smash tournament (unsure of participant count).

san. san. What do you think of Corrin (the Ike main)'s play?

(man that's gonna get confusing)

NairWizard

Somewhere
Same old Marth/Lucina debate, same old bull****.

I encourage Lucina advocates to stop looking at the differences between the two characters from the Marth/Lucina player's side. Look at it from the other side.

You really think Mario, Fox, Luigi, etc. fear running into Lucina in bracket nearly as much as they fear Marth?

Against Marth, Mario might die to a random f-tilt at 90 from nearly center stage just for trying to grab; Fox might get tipper d-tilted at the ledge; Luigi might get his airdodge read into tipper up-tilt, and die for it. These are game-warping events that must be played around.

Lucina might have f-smash and slightly stronger (not that I did not say more potent) edgeguarding, but for every situation where I am Mario wanting to dashgrab Marth and afraid of getting pivot f-tilted to death, I can just run in on Lucina and risk that grab and deal her 50%. That alone is worth 5-10 matchup percentage. Easily.

Tipper makes all the difference.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Corrin the Ike main was in grand finals of Okasuma, a Japanese smash tournament (unsure of participant count).

san. san. What do you think of Corrin (the Ike main)'s play?

(man that's gonna get confusing)
Description says 24 participants. Still, great Ike play.

Yeah that's the Sheik matchup, getting slapped around onstage and needled at the ledge until 150%, and then making a few good reads and killing Sheik at 70-80% with max rage. Good times.

Last edited:

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21
Same old Marth/Lucina debate, same old bull****.

I encourage Lucina advocates to stop looking at the differences between the two characters from the Marth/Lucina player's side. Look at it from the other side.

You really think Mario, Fox, Luigi, etc. fear running into Lucina in bracket nearly as much as they fear Marth?

Against Marth, Mario might die to a random f-tilt at 90 from nearly center stage just for trying to grab; Fox might get tipper d-tilted at the ledge; Luigi might get his airdodge read into tipper up-tilt, and die for it. These are game-warping events that must be played around.

Lucina might have f-smash and slightly stronger (not that I did not say more potent) edgeguarding, but for every situation where I am Mario wanting to dashgrab Marth and afraid of getting pivot f-tilted to death, I can just run in on Lucina and risk that grab and deal her 50%. That alone is worth 5-10 matchup percentage. Easily.

Tipper makes all the difference.
As much as I hate to contribute to this Marth vs Lucina argument, I gotta admit that this is a somewhat unfair way to look at the two. If you're going to put that much emphasis on the tipper and it's strengths, you must also look at it's downsides. For EVERY single time that Marth does not land a tipper hit, Lucina does more damage in that interaction.

I think the gap between Marth/Lucina would be less noticeable if they did not have a kill throw. Lucina trades Marth's potent tipper mechanics for consistency, but after all of the damage buffs, Marth's sourspots seem to be consistent enough anyways while still having devastating tippers. When Marth reaches a % where his sourspots would not kill, but Lucina would, he can usually just grab you and kill you.

NairWizard

Somewhere
As much as I hate to contribute to this Marth vs Lucina argument, I gotta admit that this is a somewhat unfair way to look at the two. If you're going to put that much emphasis on the tipper and it's strengths, you must also look at it's downsides. For EVERY single time that Marth does not land a tipper hit, Lucina does more damage in that interaction.

Doing more damage also means dealing more knockback, which makes followups/string more difficult, so this is a double-edged sword (literally).

But even if that weren't the case, the numbers don't make a compelling case for Lucina. If Marth hits you 6 times on a stock and 4 of those hits are non-tipper and each of the non-tipper hits does 3% less damage than Lucina would have in the same situation, that's 12% less damage total. A tipper hit is going to kill much more than 12% earlier than a non-tipper hit. Plus this doesn't even factor in the warping effect that tipper has in neutral--opponents will make supoptimal plays at times to play around early tipper KOs and thus get hit by more of Marth's attacks than Lucina's.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
How many times do people even die that early vs Marth? I feel like I've watched many Marth matches, but I've only seen him kill vastly earlier than Lucina a couple of times.

And again - Lucina retaining momentum from her walk is something Marth doesn't have, period. Allows for confirms like walk jab into dolphin slash. Oh well

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
How many times do people even die that early vs Marth? I feel like I've watched many Marth matches, but I've only seen him kill vastly earlier than Lucina a couple of times.

And again - Lucina retaining momentum from her walk is something Marth doesn't have, period. Allows for confirms like walk jab into dolphin slash. Oh well
Marths kill with Jab to tilt confirms quite often and these hinge on the tipper. I don't know if Lucina's confirms are as easy and as safe as these. Like, I don't know. Are they?

TriTails

Smash Lord
IMO it's not just because Marth kills earlier. His killing tools are just safer and more consistent.

The probability of you running into Marth's tipper F-tilt is more than the probability of you running into Lucina's F-smash. Marth's F-air tipper is also one of the reason why his jab is so good. It kills reliably and safely (Could also be an answer to double jumping out since the hitbox arcs over their heads but I'm not sure on this one).

People argue that Lucina overall does more damage and that Marth can't land tippers all the time. But in this game, consistent killing >>>> damage. If you can kill your opponents at around 100% with safe and far-reaching rage F-tilt, you don't need the whole 'extra damage' you could get with another character if the said character doesn't have the luxury of such killing move.

This means that other characters will also HAVE to respect it, which contributes to Marth's zoning playstyle in the end. The threat of a quick move that can kill you in neutral effectively limits their overall options as they will have to take the risk to deal damage/to kill. You can't really do that with Lucina, unless you're still running into random F-smashes in which case wtf are you doing.

Although, I do know that Lucina's B-air has a little bit of unordinary power into it. Kills pretty early offstage and is not all that slow. But still pales in comparison to tipper F-tilt, F-air, or B-air.

And yes I do talk a lot about Marth's F-tilt. Move is borderline bonkers IMO.

Rizen

Smash Legend
"Everyone has a pocket bayo" since when?
Since Bayo and Cloud became the highest scoring tournament characters a few months after Bayo's nerf shock wore off.

" 1JJ: FINAL LATE 2016/PHASE 3 CHARACTER SCORES
Cloud: 518.5
Bayonetta: 455.5
Diddy Kong: 433.5
Fox: 402
Sheik: 395.5
Sonic: 364.5
Mario: 322.5
Mewtwo: 243.5
Zero Suit Samus: 231
Rosalina & Luma: 212
Marth: 198
Meta Knight: 180.5
Ryu: 159
Corrin: 158.5
Mega Man: 154
Captain Falcon: 153.5
R.O.B: 143
Ness: 135.5
Greninja: 132.5
Bowser: 130
Donkey Kong: 121
Pikachu: 103
Peach: 102
Villager: 95.5
Yoshi: 89.4
Toon Link: 87
Luigi: 85
Olimar: 80.5
Wario: 81
Lucario: 77
Robin: 72.5
Little Mac: 69.5
Lucas: 69
Pit: 61
Mr. Game & Watch: 56
Charizard: 50.5
Palutena: 48
Ike: 47
Lucina: 42.5
Wii Fit Trainer: 40.5
Shulk: 40
Samus: 36
Roy: 35
Duck Hunt: 33
Link: 28.5
Pac-Man: 26
King Dedede: 23
Bowser Jr.: 19
Falco: 18.5
Kirby: 16
Jigglypuff: 6
Mii Brawler: 3
Mii Gunner: 3
Zelda: 4
Dr. Mario: 2
Dark Pit: 1.5
Mii Swordfighter: 0
Ganondorf: 0"

Illuminose

Smash Ace
On the money. Mkleo has to beat the historic consistency of legends like Nairo and Ally. Mkleo had two big events, but since then couldn't take sets off of Trela, Kameme, and Void. Mkleo is a very recent thing; top 3 is not a shoo-in
yeah but the current top 3 is not historic, it has more to do with recent results (i.e. late 2017 to now)

ally and nairo also DON'T have historically incredible levels of consistency so even that point doesn't stand, just look at nairo's summer pre-smash con where he placed 13th and 17th at ceo/evo as well as 49th back at pound. or his 17th place at genesis. ally's "historic consistency" is also questionable when he often fails to win regional-level events that have no top level challengers, falling to numerous high level players, and has losses to players that are not much more notable than a random. all of them have consistency issues, and leo has played the top players enough times that to say we haven't seen him enough is just incorrect.

it's also not like trela/kameme/void are especially weird losses, especially considering that it's been a while since trela has played almost all of the top players, and a not too different situation with kameme really. in this same period of time, ally has lost to shuton, tyroy, james, komota, and javi, not even to mention top players (nairo, dabuz, leo). nairo's worst losses in this time span are mr.r and ken, which is not bad, but look at who you're listing for mk leo. it seems like you're judging leo to a much higher standard, under the presumption that he doesn't have enough to show what he's done. set records:

1-2 zero
8-4 ally
3-2 nairo
2-0 dabuz
2-1 larry
3-0 abadango
1-3 void
2-0 komorikiri
something like 14-2 mr.r (there's a lot of sets to count)
1-0 anti
0-1 kameme
0-1 salem
3-1 marss
1-1 zinoto (haven't played outside one weekly though and w/ the 1-1 record this is super inconclusive, just a note)
2-1 tweek
0-0 ranai, ken, mr.e, zack

this is his set records vs the pgr top 20, so having not played 4 of them (something that is not exactly abnormal) he totals at 44-19 against the pgr top 20, or 30-17 if you exclude mr.r. that's 35-14 vs the pgr top 10, or 21-12 excluding mr.r. i may be off by a set or two because of something i just didn't see, but i'm pretty sure this is accurate. leo's positive over 7/9 other top 10 pgr. if we want to talk about consistency, here's your consistency. so even if we take away the obvious recency bias that should be afforded to current player rankings, leo has the stats aside from just saying he won the last two tier 1 events (being the only other player to win a tier 1 in the last 6 months aside from zero). if you really want to talk about nairo, let's look at the obvious: he can't beat zero. not being able to beat the best player in the world downgrades your ranking as opposed to someone who can. i've already stated the issues with ally. "historical consistency," whatever that has to do with anything, falls flat in the face of someone who has played 49 sets against the pgr top 10 and won 71% of them, and 70% of his sets vs the top 20, with the elite placements to back his wins. i've tried making cases for ally/nairo before and i can't see how they would be ranked above leo unless you really make excuses to do so.

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
freeziebeatz freeziebeatz I assume they worked something out with MVG, since someone on a reddit thread suggested that and Champ responded that he'd look into it.

Great to see that Tsu- is gonna make it

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Don't be a backseat mod, he can talk about Lucina if he wants. She's a character in this game is she not?
If that makes me a 'backseat mod' does that make L999 a backseat mod too? After all I was simply agreeing with what they said.
In any case as Bowserboy3 said as long as the discussion is civil it should go on though between tippers and consistency I wouldn't know which one would be better because as previously stated you can't hit with tippers 100% of the time.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
IMO it's not just because Marth kills earlier. His killing tools are just safer and more consistent.
The bolded I can't agree with.

If there is one thing Lucina has over Marth is that her KO potential is consistent, Marth needs to get micro spacing right in a PVP situation to be able to get better KO potential which really only gets noticed more when the Marth player gets better, but still is no where near consistent as Melee or Brawl Marth in terms of how reliable he can tipper in those games.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
How far away does a Marth player have to be from his opponent before the tipper confirms anyways? I remember multiple times where a Marth player tried to hit me with a tipper and got a sourspot hit instead just because I was a step or two closer (or DIed towards him). I know it's on the very edge of his range but where's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom