• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I'm not going to comment on this too much because I absolutely loathe that this is our 5,681st Marth vs Lucina discussion, but Lucina and Marth are almost as good as each other, maybe two or three spaces away at most. Lucina works just as well as Marth in matchups where you need a ranged character, because Tipper or not, she still has a giant sword with excellent frame data to smack you with. The fact that it doesn't matter where you smack your opponent with Lucina's sword as compared to Marth's doesn't mean her range advantage over other characters is suddenly invalid.

I mean, you don't hear people say Cloud is bad because he has no tipper, and while I get that Lucina is a moveset clone of Marth and Cloud isn't, the tipper argument is quite frankly ludicrous as in any matchup where you'd need a sword character, it's because of the fact that they're holding a sword and can outrange you, not because they can hit you with the tip of the sword.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
The bolded I can't agree with.

If there is one thing Lucina has over Marth is that her KO potential is consistent, Marth needs to get micro spacing right in a PVP situation to be able to get better KO potential which really only gets noticed more when the Marth player gets better, but still is no where near consistent as Melee or Brawl Marth in terms of how reliable he can tipper in those games.
Dipping my toes into this rabbit hole.

Marth's tipper hitboxes are pretty lenient.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Sin :4jigglypuff: 2-0 Dynamo :4sheik: at MSM tonight!

While Dynamo isn't the best player to upset, it's something, and sin is a win away from making winners quarters with Solo Puff.

Socal sure is something, huh?

Wether or not this has any bearing on Puff's tier placement is up in the air, but Sin might be the player Puff needed.

EDIT: Taternator :4ludwig: 2-1 Tyrant :4metaknight: at the same tournament.
keep in mind that puff is really good against sheik compared to the rest of her top 4-5 matchups.
that's the only matchup she doesn't get mutilated in.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Since Bayo and Cloud became the highest scoring tournament characters a few months after Bayo's nerf shock wore off.

" 1JJ: FINAL LATE 2016/PHASE 3 CHARACTER SCORES
Cloud: 518.5
Bayonetta: 455.5
Diddy Kong: 433.5
Fox: 402
Sheik: 395.5
Sonic: 364.5
Mario: 322.5
Mewtwo: 243.5
Zero Suit Samus: 231
Rosalina & Luma: 212
Marth: 198
Meta Knight: 180.5
Ryu: 159
Corrin: 158.5
Mega Man: 154
Captain Falcon: 153.5
R.O.B: 143
Ness: 135.5
Greninja: 132.5
Bowser: 130
Donkey Kong: 121
Pikachu: 103
Peach: 102
Villager: 95.5
Yoshi: 89.4
Toon Link: 87
Luigi: 85
Olimar: 80.5
Wario: 81
Lucario: 77
Robin: 72.5
Little Mac: 69.5
Lucas: 69
Pit: 61
Mr. Game & Watch: 56
Charizard: 50.5
Palutena: 48
Ike: 47
Lucina: 42.5
Wii Fit Trainer: 40.5
Shulk: 40
Samus: 36
Roy: 35
Duck Hunt: 33
Link: 28.5
Pac-Man: 26
King Dedede: 23
Bowser Jr.: 19
Falco: 18.5
Kirby: 16
Jigglypuff: 6
Mii Brawler: 3
Mii Gunner: 3
Zelda: 4
Dr. Mario: 2
Dark Pit: 1.5
Mii Swordfighter: 0
Ganondorf: 0"
As far as I know these scores deal with results not usage rate. That and the fact that no one even knows when (if ever) a pocket bayo has had any meaningful results. Not Mr r, not Dabuz, not void, ect. Every bayo that places well mains her. Some have secondaries salem uses lucina and capt Zach has a small army. Bayo and a few others aren't secondary characters of choice. they are not practical as secondaries

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
As far as I know these scores deal with results not usage rate. That and the fact that no one even knows when (if ever) a pocket bayo has had any meaningful results. Not Mr r, not Dabuz, not void, ect. Every bayo that places well mains her. Some have secondaries salem uses lucina and capt Zach has a small army. Bayo and a few others aren't secondary characters of choice. they are not practical as secondaries

Yea in just about every match I have seen when a top player tries to use a pocket Bayo, it does not end well.
In fact even Cloud has somewhat inconsistent results as a pocket. Recently most of Clouds success has come from being a main/co-main or secondary at the very least like with Komo and Leo Yes.. Leo uses Cloud enough that it can be considered his co-main with Marth

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
I'm not going to comment on this too much because I absolutely loathe that this is our 5,681st Marth vs Lucina discussion, but Lucina and Marth are almost as good as each other, maybe two or three spaces away at most.
People see Lucina 10+ spaces below Marth and cry foul because "they should be closer," but does anyone even bother to define what "closer" means? The character balance in this game is pretty good; the difference between a good character and a decent character isn't that large. The difference between 10th place and 15th place may indeed be just one or two matchups or a single kill confirm

And even if you don't think of tipper as an amazing mechanic, it is enough of an obfuscating factor that Lucina's matchups have to be determined separately. Marth doing well in the Mario matchup does not mean that Lucina would do just as well. That is not evidence of her ability. It is at best a platform for discussion.

Lucina advocates can't just treat Lucina as a clone of Marth and borrow his matchup ratios and tier placement when it's convenient to them and then turn around and say that Lucina isn't a clone of Marth and has her unique strengths that make her compelling to play. If she is to be treated as a unique character, her matchups have to be defined by her tournament performance. She can't "borrow" Marth's results to claim to be a better character than other characters. If Marth is better than Falcon that doesn't say anything about Lucina also being better than Falcon. At all.

Right now, she's underrepresented, but probably far below Marth going by the few results that she does have.

I mean, you don't hear people say Cloud is bad because he has no tipper
This is the most ridiculous comparison I've ever heard.

This is like comparing a pencil to a black hole.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm not going to comment on this too much because I absolutely loathe that this is our 5,681st Marth vs Lucina discussion, but Lucina and Marth are almost as good as each other, maybe two or three spaces away at most. Lucina works just as well as Marth in matchups where you need a ranged character, because Tipper or not, she still has a giant sword with excellent frame data to smack you with. The fact that it doesn't matter where you smack your opponent with Lucina's sword as compared to Marth's doesn't mean her range advantage over other characters is suddenly invalid.

I mean, you don't hear people say Cloud is bad because he has no tipper, and while I get that Lucina is a moveset clone of Marth and Cloud isn't, the tipper argument is quite frankly ludicrous as in any matchup where you'd need a sword character, it's because of the fact that they're holding a sword and can outrange you, not because they can hit you with the tip of the sword.
This argument is literally saying 'an extra 1-3% and increased bkb/kbg for good spacing on one of the best spacing characters in the game doesn't matter'. Take Ftilt for example,
:4marth:: dmg 9/12, bkb 30/55, kbg 70/85
:4lucina:: dmg 10.925, bkb 42, kbg 77.

Marth can kill much earlier with the extra 1.075%, 13 bkb, 8 kbg for tippers and he can combo jab into Ftilt. Marth, and therefor Lucina, was designed to be a spacing monster who is good at landing tippers since Melee. When your sword outranges 95% of the cast you don't want to hit with the hilt, tippers or not. Marth has the frame data, mobility and big arching slashes to make tippers work.

Marcina were designed to play around landing tippers, Cloud is more about abusing his mobility and limit stuff. It's two different designs. Tippers won't work for every character but we're only talking about Marcina. The sword characters outrange you because they're hitting with the tip, hitting with the hilt means you can't abuse the extra range and CQC characters with faster frame data will have the advantage at that spacing.

Lucina is a good character, not far below Marth but tl;dr Marth is better because tippers.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
This is the most ridiculous comparison I've ever heard.

This is like comparing a pencil to a black hole.
My point was that Lucina is the only swordfighter in the game where people say she's bad because she doesn't have a tipper mechanic.

It sounds stupid when you compare it to other sword fighters, so why does it get a pass for Lucina? It's not like she needs to microspace the way marth does, she does a fine job without it. And while Spacing is good with Lucina too, don't get me wrong, it's not treated like a necessity for any other fighter without a tipper, and the only reason people say "Lucina is bad because she doesn't have a tipper" is because they expect her to be Marth when she's not.

The comparison was ridiculous on purpose, because saying a character that doesn't need tippers to function is bad because she doesn't have a Tipper is equally as stupid.

(Not saying Marth doesn't need tippers, Lucina doesn't need them)

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Aren't we going around in circles now? See this is why discussion doesn't really help. One side argues that the difference between Marth and Lucina is tippers vs. consistency.
The reasonable people try to give good comparisons between both characters but seem to be ignored at times.
Then we have people who are on one side or the other arguing whether or not Lucina not getting results factors into her placement.
As TDK said this is the umpteenth time this has come up and what comes out of it by the time everything is said and done? Nothing.
All this is doing is delaying any productive conversation that this forum could have. It's been brought up repeatedly with no progress in sight.
I'm all for debating, it makes you think and puts the stats of the characters out there too but when the debate doesn't make any progress....is it worth it?

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
My point was that Lucina is the only swordfighter in the game where people say she's bad because she doesn't have a tipper mechanic.

It sounds stupid when you compare it to other sword fighters, so why does it get a pass for Lucina? It's not like she needs to microspace the way marth does, she does a fine job without it. And while Spacing is good with Lucina too, don't get me wrong, it's not treated like a necessity for any other fighter without a tipper, and the only reason people say "Lucina is bad because she doesn't have a tipper" is because they expect her to be Marth when she's not.

The comparison was ridiculous on purpose, because saying a character that doesn't need tippers to function is bad because she doesn't have a Tipper is equally as stupid.

Last I checked no one was saying that Lucina not having tippers makes her bad. What people are saying though is that lack of tippers makes her lesser than Marth.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Corrin the Ike main was in grand finals of Okasuma, a Japanese smash tournament (unsure of participant count).

san. san. What do you think of Corrin (the Ike main)'s play?

(man that's gonna get confusing)
I think he has very basic play (surprisingly so) with really good judgements at times with DI and mixups. It's to the point where it looks like luck, but if it keeps happening that consistently against people, it's not just that. He seems to be great at avoiding some kill setups while taking lesser punishments.

He struggles with followups and misinputs at crucial times. For instance, he almost lost in the last game since he messed up the uthrow->fair kill confirm.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace

Not once has anyone here said Lucina is bad because she doesn't have tippers. Were saying Marth is better because he has tippers.
"spacing isn't treated as a necessity for any other fighter without a tipper" stop saying things for the sake of saying things. Spacing is a vital part of every characters neutral, it's just brought up often in Lucina discussion because people seem to forget that Lucina still has to space everything near the tip

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
I swear, someone says Marth is better than Lucina because of tippers and another person jumps to the farthest possible conclusion and assumes that because someone said Marth is better then that means that Lucina is a hot pile of garbage.
Lucina is not a bad character, but she is not top tier.
The current meta game is focused around ledge trapping and neutral resets. Marth is better at this than Lucina, he will kill you with pokes in neutral. A Marth ftilt or nair in neutral is going to kill you if it tippers. That does not happen with Lucina. Lucina has to switch from neutral from advantage, Marth does not.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
In the future, I hope the mere mention of "lucina" doesn't start world War Marcina. Instead of arguing about her and Marth and how they compare, can we just understand her as a character?

This started when I said MKLeo is a large reason for the recent favorable views of Marth and Lucina. That's basically a fact; 99% of people would agree. Then we start trashing on Lucina all of a sudden and start this thing again? Pick your battles guys. This isn't going to become a safe space where you never need to hear "lucina" again. I swear her name is triggering people and starting arguements.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
In the future, I hope the mere mention of "lucina" doesn't start world War Marcina. Instead of arguing about her and Marth and how they compare, can we just understand her as a character?

This started when I said MKLeo is a large reason for the recent favorable views of Marth and Lucina. That's basically a fact; 99% of people would agree. Then we start trashing on Lucina all of a sudden and start this thing again? Pick your battles guys. This isn't going to become a safe space where you never need to hear "lucina" again. I swear her name is triggering people and starting arguements.
No, it started when you said Marth and Lucina are deserving of top 15 because of Leo. Kind of a big difference there. We didn't just see Lucina and start arguing about her again.

Rizen

Smash Legend
That's cool and all but it says nothing about the frequency of Bayo as a pocket/secondary vs. a main
You can drop your main and main Bayo or second her the point is you will see a lot of them in tournaments. I think people are reading too much into my joke. I wasn't trying to diss Bayo or Cloud players. It's just one of those temptations to whip them out.

We were having a good discussion :/

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Not sure which is worse - Lucina fangrills continuing to pollute this thread or Shaya/EL overrating the living hell out of Marth/Roy dtilt since 2008 [at least].

Let's talk about how Luigi is actually high tier instead.

:059:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Not sure which is worse - Lucina fangrills continuing to pollute this thread or Shaya/EL overrating the living hell out of Marth/Roy dtilt since 2008 [at least].

Or how because someone is getting results with jigglypuff it may have some playability despite it being on the worst tier. We have two people going into tourneys with the puff and winning before this discussion got kicked up right?

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
For what its worth, Lucina does have an easier time applying pressure in some MUs because her Aerials and Tilts have more Shield push. Against a character like Mario for example, Marth will have a somewhat harder time landing since his sour Fair can be punished by Mario's Dash grab if he shield's it, whereas the pushback from Lucina's Fair makes them harder to punish. You still need to space the moves for them to be safe, but the spacing required is more lenient.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace

High tier being :4tlink::4villager::4metaknight::4pikachu::4ryu: area?

For sure. What these characters have in common is a strong leading player who gets top 32 at supermajors and gets decent results at regionals. Luigi fits in for sure.

His theoretical punish game is amazing although his matchups on a more basic level are extremely hard to do..

Elegant is just godly, even getting zss-esque combos with fallingnair to uair to nair (on platform) to uair to cyclone etc. Its amazing watching him. I' wonder if he'll manage to take a set off a top player like zero,leo dabuz or nario soon.

Iirc Luigi has true combos off dthrow cyclone in certain windows as well. My source is overhearing ConCon but please correct me I may be wrong.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Mr. R is... probably right, at this point. He is a player, as has been mentioned here, that revolves around neutral dominance and ledge trapping. Of the top Sheiks, he also struggles the most with closing out stocks. To use a (tortured) gymnastics analogy, he just struggles with sticking his landings. For him personally, he isn't rewarded enough for winning neutral. At least with Marth (probably more than Cloud), given his neutral game, he runs the chance to close out stocks much earlier.

EDIT: NM, got Lurr'd.

EDIT 2: Sheik is a better character, obvs. No FeelMeUp FeelMeUp , I will not cash you outside.

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Since we are on the subject, who really showcases and represents sheik besides void and mr. R? Honestly those two overshadow all the other sheik players. I can think of puppeh and cacogen, and kamame, dynamo, trevonte, and Saiki, but otherwise, zip. And almost none of them really do a lot on a national level.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
ally and nairo also DON'T have historically incredible levels of consistency--
Ally and particularly Nairo are by all accounts incredibly consistent and at the highest level. If Nairo isn't 'consistent', then nobody is other than ZeRo. He has an extremely solid track record across dozens of tournaments with one subpar result--Pound--immediately following ZSS' nerfs. If that and 17th and 13th at two of Smash 4's biggest super majors is inconsistent, then, again, the only player who would actually meet such a strict definition of 'consistency' would be ZeRo.

For some reason every top Smash player at some point gets associated with 'inconsistency'--even ZeRo earlier this year. There's a very poor perception of what top level consistency means. It doesn't mean placing top 8 at every super major, and if any metric of consistency excludes Ally and Nairo, it isn't a good metric.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer

How reductionist.

I always like debates alongside analysis because those teach you the most. If someone can't effectively explain what they mean, what's the point?

Anyways, Weegee is a decent subject - why is he high tier?

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Elegant is just godly, even getting zss-esque combos with fallingnair to uair to nair (on platform) to uair to cyclone etc. Its amazing watching him. I' wonder if he'll manage to take a set off a top player like zero,leo dabuz or nario soon.
I think he'll take a set from them soon, he came very close to beating Leo.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Imagine if Luigi had Marth's down tilt. But yeah, Luigi could probably still be high tier.
Roy's down tilt isn't that good... in this game. It's flat to the ground, shorter range than the sword, minimal damage at the tip so it's a lot weaker for curtailing people's movements. The angle/kb also isn't grand on hit either (if he got consistent DED or close range tech chases, sure [the latter would be super hype]).
They really should've given Roy that 1.5 units Marth got, then he'd be ****ing fantastic.

But I'm pretty sure as a Mikeneko fan you would know down tilt is pretty good LOL, he used that move VERY well.
And to semi-respond to EL here, but MK's ftilt for the most part supplanted dtilt's uses - but MK's ftilt was better than most of the brawl cast by itself so, /shrug.

Seems like every argument made for what makes Marth a stronger character gets responded with "that's not fair" so her arguers don't have to accept the very rational deductions made (modern world, FAKE NEWS, wew).
Like, for real? Of course it isn't fair, Marth is a higher tuned (tippers with bigger growths, ratio of tipper/flub on most moves being very lenient), more option rich (purposeful use of sweet or sour spots, jab set ups EXTREMELY favour him) character. The argument will never be fair - the only alternative is proof of similar match up potency (+consistency) at higher levels - 2.5 years into the game and this has never happened.

There are some definite positives to Lucina, but their relevancy is just theory. Not good theory that's based off objective game data, just theory. Sliding from a walk is pretty hype, power shield fsmash punishes is pretty hype, killing a Cloud in friendlies with up tilt at 110% anecdotally isn't hype but you can pretend it is - much to my and I'm sure many others amusement. "But this one time this Marth didn't space properly when I was playing against him on wifi and he didn't kill me, check mate atheists, we're gonna bring the Marth Illuminati down!!!!"

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Since we are on the subject, who really showcases and represents sheik besides void and mr. R? Honestly those two overshadow all the other sheik players. I can think of puppeh and cacogen, and kamame, dynamo, trevonte, and Saiki, but otherwise, zip. And almost none of them really do a lot on a national level.
Obvious, but Zero and his Sheik. Definitely pulls it out for specific matchups, like Luigi, probably would for Olimar too since he believes Olimar beats Diddy. Not like his Sheik has honestly never done well when used either. This character is not falling out of the top 5 in this games lifespan with a neutral, frame data, and recovery like that.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Here's the OrionRank variant of Civil War attendees

1: TSM | ZeRo :4diddy::4sheik::4cloud2:
2: C9 | Ally :4mario:
3: ECHO FOX MVG | MKLeo :4marth::4cloud2:
4: NRG | Nairo :4zss::4bowser::4lucina:
5: MSF | Larry Lurr :4fox::4dk:
6: LG | Abadango :4mewtwo::4metaknight:
7: eLv | Mr. R :4sheik::4cloud2::4bayonetta:
8: MVG | Salem :4bayonetta:
9: CLG | VoiD :4sheik:
10: RNG | Dabuz :rosalina::4olimar:
11: IMT | ANTi :4mario::4cloud2::4zss::4sheik::4metaknight::4diddy:
12: 2GG | komorikiri :4cloud2::4sonic::4marth:
13: AS | Zinoto :4diddy:
14: DNG | Kameme :4megaman::4sheik:
15: DNL | Marss :4zss::4lucario:
16: PG | ESAM :4pikachu::4mewtwo::4samus:
17: Tyrant :4metaknight::4sheik:
18: P1 | Tweek :4cloud2::4dk::4bowserjr:
19: ECHO FOX MVG | Mew2King :4cloud2:
20: Trela :4ryu:
21: Ranai :4villager:
23: Nietono :4diddy::4sheik:
24: Earth :4pit::4corrinf::4fox:
25: RvL | Mr. E :4marth:
26: K9sbruce :4diddy::4sheik:
27: Captain Zack :4bayonetta:
28: PG | Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
29: Samsora :4peach:
30: VGBC | Pink Fresh :4bayonetta:
32: FS | Fatality :4falcon:
33: Circa | 6WX :4sonic:
34: LooK | falln :rosalina:
36: Elegant :4luigi:
37: Dath :4robinf:
38: Shuton :4olimar:
39: eLv | False :4marth::4sheik::4dk::4samus::4ryu:
40: Noble | Ryo :4myfriends::4feroy::4corrinf:
41: FS | Wrath :4sonic:
43: MVG | dyr :4diddy:
44: SHIG | 9B :4bayonetta:
46: MVG | ScAtt :4megaman:
47: InC | WaDi :4mewtwo:
48: iStudying :4greninja:
49: Glutonny :4wario:
50: saj :4bayonetta:
51: PG | MVD :4diddy:
52: Yatta Gaming | JK :4bayonetta:
53: Vinnie :4sheik:
54: E2C | DarkShad :4ryu:
55: G-FORCE Oni | Day :4lucario:
56: Ryuga :4corrinf::4myfriends:
58: JJROCKETS :4diddy:
59: Ned :4cloud2::4zss:
62: E2C | tyroy :4bayonetta:
67: Pugwest :4marth:
68: tsu :4lucario: (lmao he's already passed his 2016 score if the grading remains even remotely similar)
70: SHBOYS DosGG | Angel Cortes :4diddy:
73: Aarvark :4villager:
74: LH | Charliedaking :4fox:
75: RvL | Xzax :4fox:
82: UBCEA | Locus :4ryu:
87: CLG | NAKAT :4fox::4ness::4lucina:
88: FOW :4ness:
91: FAD | 2scoops Nicko :4shulk:
94: ImHip :4olimar::4duckhunt:
98: Fable | 8BitMan :4rob::4diddy:
102: HIKARU :4dk:
103: Fuwa :4marth:
106: DKwill :4dk:
108: Mr. ConCon :4luigi:
109: PG FAD | Zan :4tlink:
119: FS | Dark Wizzy :4mario:
125: EZG | Remzi :4zss:
132: TLTC :4palutena:
137: TTN | Karna :4sheik:
142: SCB | ViceGrip :4bowserjr:
145: Sonido :4sonic:
153: Jtails :4diddy::4marth:
158: 2S | Scizor :4link:
162: LooK | Ac :4falco::4marth::4metaknight:
168: SUGOI | ven :4zelda:
170: RF7 | Z :4pikachu:

Hidden Bosses/NED:
Kome :4shulk:
Kirihara :rosalina:
HY | Javi :4cloud2::4sheik:
Shaky :4ness:

A mystery attendee will get added at 650 entrants. 2GG asked who people would like on Reddit and a few people suggested were OrionRank attendees. I suggested Tea :4pacman: tho

verbatim

Smash Ace
A mystery attendee will get added at 650 entrants. 2GG asked who people would like on Reddit and a few people suggested were OrionRank attendees. I suggested Tea :4pacman: tho
Has he suggested that he'd be willing to attend? IIC his last big tournament showing was in July.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Imagine if Luigi had Marth's down tilt. But yeah, Luigi could probably still be high tier.
Roy's down tilt isn't that good... in this game. It's flat to the ground, shorter range than the sword, minimal damage at the tip so it's a lot weaker for curtailing people's movements. The angle/kb also isn't grand on hit either (if he got consistent DED or close range tech chases, sure [the latter would be super hype]).
They really should've given Roy that 1.5 units Marth got, then he'd be ****ing fantastic.

But I'm pretty sure as a Mikeneko fan you would know down tilt is pretty good LOL, he used that move VERY well.
And to semi-respond to EL here, but MK's ftilt for the most part supplanted dtilt's uses - but MK's ftilt was better than most of the brawl cast by itself so, /shrug.

Seems like every argument made for what makes Marth a stronger character gets responded with "that's not fair" so her arguers don't have to accept the very rational deductions made (modern world, FAKE NEWS, wew).
Like, for real? Of course it isn't fair, Marth is a higher tuned (tippers with bigger growths, ratio of tipper/flub on most moves being very lenient), more option rich (purposeful use of sweet or sour spots, jab set ups EXTREMELY favour him) character. The argument will never be fair - the only alternative is proof of similar match up potency (+consistency) at higher levels - 2.5 years into the game and this has never happened.

There are some definite positives to Lucina, but their relevancy is just theory. Not good theory that's based off objective game data, just theory. Sliding from a walk is pretty hype, power shield fsmash punishes is pretty hype, killing a Cloud in friendlies with up tilt at 110% anecdotally isn't hype but you can pretend it is - much to my and I'm sure many others amusement. "But this one time this Marth didn't space properly when I was playing against him on wifi and he didn't kill me, check mate atheists, we're gonna bring the Marth Illuminati down!!!!"
And those last couple of paragraphs right there is the reason both me and L999 didn't want this discussion.

People want a proper debate with game theory, frame rates, etc.

However, arguments with no real value besides theorycraft pop up and it goes from a debate into a whiny argument. Both me and L999 saw THAT one coming from a mile away.

tbh I'm glad we're getting away from that subject, and wow Civil War is going to be huge with that many people! Sounds like fun!

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN

68: tsu :4lucario: (lmao he's already passed his 2016 score if the grading remains even remotely similar)

Hidden Bosses/NED:

https://twitter.com/2GGaming/status/841750828092350464

2GG's really pulling out all the stops here. 9B :4bayonetta2: might be the final person attending Civil War, if we get just 13 more entrants or $400 is raised.

Oh, and ZeRo made a Falco analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdsJZ0LRftM

I don't really agree with his overall sentiment, but he's the one that lived with Keitaro for a while so maybe he sees something we don't?

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Oh boy not only are we character bashing, we're also player bashing. Amazing.

Also Im glad Frame Perfect is this weekend. I cant wait a single more week for civil war

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I'm interested in doubles for the first time, tbh. I'm curious to see if Lucario and Diddy are going to be a top team.

freeziebeatz

Smash Apprentice

Hidden Bosses/NED:
22: KEN :4sonic:
31: Ito :4metaknight:
35: Manny :4sonic::4feroy:
42: Taiheita :4lucas:
45: RAIN :4cloud::4diddy: (In Voting)
57: Zenyou :4mario:
60: ikep :4bayonetta:
61: Elexiao :4greninja::4pacman::4feroy: (In Voting)
63: Venom :4ryu::4miibrawl: (In Voting)
64: Ri-ma :4tlink:
65: SS :4ness::4villager::4cloud:
66: Ixis :4sonic:
69: S1 :4ness:
71: SlayerZ :4peach:
72: Cosmos :4corrinf:
76: Saiki :4sheik:
77: Sodrek :4fox::4cloud:
78: SuperGirlKels :4sonic::4kirby:
79: Seagull Joe :4sonic::4diddy: (In Voting)
80: IcyMist :4samus:
81: Ksev :4fox:
83: cyve :4bayonetta::4diddy:
84: Myran :4olimar:
85: San :4myfriends:
86: Frozen :4corrinf: (In Voting but Can't Go)
89: Xaltis :rosalina:
90: Kie :4peach:
92: Rayquaza07 :rosalina::4bowser:
93: Holy :4rob:
95: Riot :4bayonetta:
96: DJ Jack :4ryu:
97: Prince Ramen :4palutena:
99: Some :4greninja:
100: TheReflexWonder :4wario:
To add on to this, here are the OrionRank members not going.

Also all the Vote-ins for next round after 9B
East Coast
- Venia :4greninja:
- Frozen :4corrinf: (Can't Go)
- Seagull Joe :4sonic::4diddy:
- John Numbers :4wiifit::4corrinf:

Japan
- T :4link:
- Tea :4pacman:
- Ron :4mario::4luigi:
- RAIN :4cloud::4diddy:

International