• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Minordeth Minordeth frame trapping is one of bayo's strongest attributes in advantage state. she can cover many different angles of escape with her various hitboxes, and they have low enough of end lag to frame trap in each other. for example, up b can frame trap an air dodge into nair or uair, potentially. uair frame traps air dodge into another uair or nair or up b, depending on the scenario. to cover landings, bayo can do a sh aerial into a dtilt or up b (as seen also when she does dtilt fair, covers air dodge with another dtilt or up b). those are just some examples, obviously excluding using the extended hitboxes to cover air dodge. bayonetta is the single best character in the game at frame trapping opponents in her overall advantage state.

one of the things i think that people still don't get about bayo is why her neutral is strong. if you watch salem play, he's fighting neutral against diddy, sheik, cloud, sonic, pikachu, etc and contending extremely well, frequently either going even or winning more exchanges than he loses. his sets against zero this weekend were not defined by his punishes, but rather his ability to combat zero's style of diddy kong neutral. bayonetta is one of the best characters at forcing the match to play at her pace because she has so much control over how she engages her opponents, a trait we saw salem exploit to the fullest.

bayonetta's defensive capabilities are absolutely unparalleled because you can't really force her into a bad position - she has the best disadvantage state in the game by far, and she can always cover herself with many hitboxes and options. anyone who has watched a top bayo knows what i'm talking about, but to give you an idea, she can cover many approaches with dtilt, up b, sh spaced nairs, bair, bullets, drop off stage and immediately side b, etc and always has the potential to witch time a predicted attack or escape to platforms/ledge if she feels uncomfortable with engaging. in many cases, even if you could approach her and find an opening, the risk/reward is so lopsided that you have to push your openings and advantages with incredible care. for example, you could try to punish a whiff, but she can often cover it with up b or something else and either reset or turn the attempted punish into a devastating combo. even the characters with the best approach options in the game have to play with patience and care against bayonetta's tight, lethal defense.

the thing that people often cite is that bayo has a lackluster approach game. i think this is true to some extent, but it misrepresents how bayo should play the game and the actual consequences she faces for this. bayonetta has rather mediocre options out of dash, as her dash attack and dash grab are both quite underwhelming, and she lacks an effective rising aerial to approach with other than fair against taller characters. she can use up b and escape safely (usually), but that's about it. the hallmark of good bayo neutral is solid use of short hops, walking, and perfect pivots to apply pressure to her opponents. that way, she can mix up her spacing and apply all of her different options like dtilt (pp, out of walk, tomahawk, step dash), spaced nair, fair, bair, up b, tomahawk grab, and dive kick. although she might not have the best overall approach options in the game, the important part is that she can throw out a lot of things safely and cover you trying to punish her whiffs, so she can essentially toss out options and bully you into gambling with an approach or giving up stage. if you give up stage, now you're in a bad position because essentially any miscalculation can lead to death. try to jump out of the corner? she can kill you. try to aggressively escape the corner? she can kill you. sit in shield and patiently find your opening to escape? she can throw you off stage and potentially kill you unless you have a recovery that just won't get gimped. it's not checkmate because she cannot do everything at once, but every option you pick to escape the corner is gambling with your stock. so, bayonetta can't really force her way at you in the same way a sheik or fox can, but she can bully you with safe options and mixups really well until she finds some opening and converts it into big damage. this is why bayonetta can still play patient and smart from behind, which is the usual reason why not having amazing approach options can become an issue. the additional layer to this that i haven't mentioned is that bayonetta's 'lackluster approach options' can become highly effective mixups when sprinkled in alongside the things i mentioned, which is why you'll see top bayo players go for and get grounded side b, dash attack, or dash grab against characters that absolutely have the options to deal with them if that's what you're relying on.

if it wasn't clear, i do think bayonetta is the best character in the game, as i have since like last fall. people were so convinced that she'd be adapted to, and she has, but *surprise* there was (and still is) a ton of room to develop bayonetta's neutral to contend more effectively with top tier neutrals and punish game to counteract sdi/di. i think enough characters can reasonably fight her (even or slight disadvantageous mu) that we shouldn't go into discussions of whether she's broken or banning her or anything like that, but i think it's abou time that we realize this game has a true best character. bayonetta is not leaps-and-bounds ahead of cloud, sheik, or diddy, but she is the best character in the game.

Last edited:

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Yeah, basically. Also, Leo loves his frame traps, especially with Cloud. Bayo doesn't quite have the frame data to pull off the kind of stuff he did to Larry last time they met. Just filthy af.

I'd love to see a Leo Sheik or Fox for that reason, as well.
Leo does have a sheik, although he doesn't use it as much as his other characters

Goombo

Smash Apprentice
No matter if it's Diddy Kong, Cloud or Bayonetta winning a big tournament. You can expect seeing at least three different people here claiming we now have a definitive best character.
Same will inevitably happen when Sheik finally wins her first major, which is only a matter of time in the end.

It's getting boring, people.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Speaking of winning a major, let's talk about Mewtwo.

Post-buff, Pound was the catalyst for him being considered a top tier. But since then... Abadango has gotten just outside of top 8 at many majors (9th being the place for high tiers, according to Emblem Lord).

Abadango has picked up Bayonetta. Personal reasons have kept Rich Brown from ascending. WaDi has been using his ROB frequently when his Mewtwo doesn't cut it.

I'm not going to say Mewtwo isn't top tier. But his results are definitely high tier right now.

I personally feel like there's a lot more power to the character, but that's not necessarily being reflected in results right now.

Do people still think Sonic's overrated?
Yes

Last edited:

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
Mewtwo's results have consistently been in the same tier as Sonic, Mario, Fox, ZSS, and Rosalina (though more towards the bottom of said tier) in Das Koopa's ranking project for several months now.

He still has top tier results.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

Post-buff, Pound was the catalyst for him being considered a top tier. But since then... Abadango has gotten just outside of top 8 at many majors (9th being the place for high tiers, according to Emblem Lord).

Abadango has picked up Bayonetta. Personal reasons have kept Rich Brown from ascending. WaDi has been using his ROB frequently when his Mewtwo doesn't cut it.

I'm not going to say Mewtwo isn't top tier. But his results are definitely high tier right now.

I personally feel like there's a lot more power to the character, but that's not necessarily being reflected in results right now.
I was also thinking that about Marth and Lucina since they seem in a similar situation

MkLeo defeating ZeRo and winning big 2 ZeRo saga (cant recallthe other one) using mostly Marth paved to the way to many people sayig he was top tier and aLucina aslo by proxya.

But Like Mewtwo, Marth has not really could reach that level of success again. Other Marth mains such as Mr.E or Pugwest have has pretty middling results since then. Even Leo uses his Cloud much more than Marth, only really using him vs specific players such as Ally. Actullay nowadays Leo seems more likely to use MK or Corrin if his Cloud is not cutting it.

Last edited:

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094

Wadi went to smash at philly and got 3rd under esam and dabuz, his EVO run was amazing too beating many better players and both were solo m2, when it comes to majors WaDi usually goes solo m2. the only time i see him go ROB is at Xanadu. Talking about m2 in the meta rn people have gotten used to him, sure he does a ton of damage, but his weight and large frame hinder him to the point where even though he has the best airdodge in the game (or bayo idk) his large frame just doesn't make it as good as it is and people react to it much better than before. When it comes to his top tier mus he loses to :4diddy::4cloud2:(rich thinks cloud is 70-30 cloud favor and aba now uses MK more than m2 in the mu):4fox:(WaDi really hates this mu and loses to Larry and ZD) loses like a losing battle with he record ive seen :4bayonetta: looks like she wins the mu from the matches I've seen of wadi and aba against captain zack and salem with the bayos winning pretty much every time. :4sheik: has improved in the mu and up throw up air helps out greatly in the mu giving her a slight edge imo with the fact that she doesn't have to approach and needle and control neutral. :rosalina::4zss: are both iffy and :4sonic: is either even or slight favor to either side. :4mario: is the only clear winning top tier mu i can think of. m2 is still a top tier but but his spread looks iffy imo among the top tiers (also pls correct me on any of these mus if im wrong it helps :))

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I feel like if Wadi went to more tournaments, and Abadango used more Mewtwo and less Bayonetta, Mewtwo would be close to having really good results again. His results are still good though I guess.

I feel like Abadango and Kameme haven't been doing as good as they did a year ago though. I don't think Mewtwo and Mega Man are falling much though, but I think Abadango and Kameme haven't been doing as good as they were. Espicially Kameme.

I was also thinking that about Marth since they seem in a similar situation (Lucina)

MkLeo defeating ZeRo and winning big majors such as ZeRo saga with Marth paved to the way to many people sayimg he was top tier and also inspired many top players to pick up a pocket Lucina.

But over time Marth has not really could rech that level of success. Other Marth mains such as Mr.E or Pugwest have has pretty middling results too. Even Leo uses his Cloud much more than Marth, only really using him vs specific players such as Ally
Yea, that doesn't surprise me. I found it amazing that Marcina could even get results like that in the first place. Sounds like they've reached their peak and are starting to fall a little bit now in results. They were never near top tier in the first place.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Mewtwo's results have consistently been in the same tier as Sonic, Mario, Fox, ZSS, and Rosalina (though more towards the bottom of said tier) in Das Koopa's ranking project for several months now.

He still has top tier results.
Right, but that's taking into account every tournament. At the strongest majors, Mewtwo doesn't show up in top 8 as much as others. Of course, that's in LARGE part a player thing, but I wanted to talk about reasons, instead of assuming it's 'cuz Mewtwo is weak.

I was also thinking that about Marth and Lucina since they seem in a similar situation

MkLeo defeating ZeRo and winning big 2 ZeRo saga (cant rember the other one) using predomantly Marth paved to the way to many people sayimg he was top tier and also inspired many top players to pick up a pocket Lucina.

But Like Mewtwo, Marth has not really could recah that level of success again. Other Marth mains such as Mr.E or Pugwest have has pretty middling results too. Even Leo uses his Cloud much more than Marth, only really using him vs specific players such as Ally. Actullay Leo seems more likely to use MK or Corrin if his Cloud is not cutting it.
I was going to mention Marcina, but decided not to. They're definitely in the same boat.

Wadi went to smash at philly and got 3rd under esam and dabuz, his EVO run was amazing too beating many better players and both were solo m2, when it comes to majors WaDi usually goes solo m2. the only time i see him go ROB is at Xanadu. Talking about m2 in the meta rn people have gotten used to him, sure he does a ton of damage, but his weight and large frame hinder him to the point where even though he has the best airdodge in the game (or bayo idk) his large frame just doesn't make it as good as it is and people react to it much better than before. When it comes to his top tier mus he loses to :4diddy::4cloud2:(rich thinks cloud is 70-30 cloud favor and aba now uses MK more than m2 in the mu):4fox:(WaDi really hates this mu and loses to Larry and ZD) loses like a losing battle with he record ive seen :4bayonetta: looks like she wins the mu from the matches I've seen of wadi and aba against captain zack and salem with the bayos winning pretty much every time. :4sheik: has improved in the mu and up throw up air helps out greatly in the mu giving her a slight edge imo with the fact that she doesn't have to approach and needle and control neutral. :rosalina::4zss: are both iffy and :4sonic: is either even or slight favor to either side. :4mario: is the only clear winning top tier mu i can think of. m2 is still a top tier but but his spread looks iffy imo among the top tiers (also pls correct me on any of these mus if im wrong it helps :))
WaDi actually went ROB against Dabuz the last few times they played. While his ROB is seen way more often at locals, he does still use him at bigger events too.

EDIT: WaDi double eliminated CaptainZack at Glitch 3 w/ Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
At the end of the day, Mewtwo's kit is just too good to see anything below bottom of the to tier(Where he should be, ZSS is for sure passing him next list). Best reflector, Sheik dash speed, one of the best sets of throws in the game (you got f throw for damage, b throw for kills/positioning, u throw self explanatory kill power, d throw sucks), one of the best and most versatile projectiles, a F1 airdodge + teleport to help with disadvantage (more than you can say for other big bodies), best recovery in top tier minus Bayo and maybe Sheik, kill power, and one heck of a good ground option (d tilt).

Results are still decent, weight is there but we all know about that it sucks especially during rage. Could have some faster frame moves too,if he gets locked in to a combo he has no breaker. One string or mistimed air dodge can lead to his death.

Mewtwo has an answer for everything basically. Range, projectile, mobility, defense...he suffers from nerves at top level play which I'm sure all top players have inside. Cause you can't make any mistakes with him or you die. Everyone else can afford to make a couple and still live.

Who's kit in B tier has all of these positives like Mewtwo? Closest i could think of is like...Pikachu, who still has no range.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah, I don't think Mewtwo isn't top tier... I think he's just not getting the results of one.

That said, I kinda feel like whoever said "top 5" instead of "top 10" (for breaking up tiers) might be right. While not overpowered by any means (IMO), Bayonetta, Diddy, Cloud, Sheik, and Rosalina have shown themselves to be above even the other top tiers by a decent bit.

I can certainly see other characters making it up there with time and with players getting better... but I can't see them there RIGHT NOW.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
@Das Koopa Kibzu went Bayo as well. Pretty equal use of all of them

Purple H also beat me with DK
Patrino used Ryu and Cloud aswell

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Sometimes, I really do believe that fighting games are fun by accident.
Late, but explain please. I'm in the dark.

And do you guys know the most subtle top tier run? Fox. Makes good results, but not even a whisper or a peep about him. We've talked about Duffy, cloud, bayo, rosa, sonic, ZSS, mewtwo, Mario, and Marty extensively, but never really talked about fox (or have in a while). What does Larry lack to push fox to a new level? Inform me if I'm ignorant, but it seems like he's carrying the fox meta by himself as well. Who else makes waves with him?

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
And do you guys know the most subtle top tier run? Fox. Makes good results, but not even a whisper or a peep about him. We've talked about Duffy, cloud, bayo, rosa, sonic, ZSS, mewtwo, Mario, and Marty extensively, but never really talked about fox (or have in a while). What does Larry lack to push fox to a new level? Inform me if I'm ignorant, but it seems like he's carrying the fox meta by himself as well. Who else makes waves with him?
Xzax, NAKAT, and Charliedaking also get some results with Fox (and perhaps some other Fox that I forgot). I think Fox is slept on and probably top 7, perhaps even higher.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Late, but explain please. I'm in the dark.

Charliedaking is the second best fox (the gap is pretty dang huge tho) and he made an amazing run at arms saga, taking zero to game 5. I'd also say hes a bit more technical than Larry while Larry has the better fundamentals.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Fox is downright dominating when played at the level Larry uses him, but he's probably the most unforgiving top/high tier to play. You mess up once and you're eating a lot of damage. He doesn't have Mewtwo's recovery, kill throw, or deadly projectile. He makes up for it with excellent frame data, very strong mobility, and solid kill power (with a bit of cheese mixed in).

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Mewtwo's stagnation, I feel, is mostly due to his player base not being able to adapt to the diddy kong match up.

I still believe that Mewtwo is only at a slight disadvantage to diddy kong, and the notion that diddy is a mewtwo counter is ridiculous. However, it seems only WaDi still agrees with me. 乁◥θ┴θ;◤ㄏ

:150:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Larry is almost always at top 8, at this rate is only a matter of time before he wins a major and Fox becomes very relevant (though he is already a quite popular character to use).
:196:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Sheik still seems worse for M2 than Diddy. Diddy has a lot if issues getting around SB corner camping.
Cloud is dreadful, though. No ways around that.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Fox is extremely good, as I feel Larry when he's doing good is one of the, if not, the most explosive advantage player on the PGR tbh. Can't count how many people he has dominated when hes doing well. Like Fox, Larry is prone to getting wrecked bad too, yet to win a major like Ally, Nairo, Zero, Salem etc in the PR which is weird cause I fear Fox when I see his in action.

Fox is like a better hot and cold Luigi, to be blubnt in terms of wrecking or getting wrecked.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Illuminose Illuminose
Good post, I'm going to shorten this up a bit, because you wrote quite the essay.

Frame traps.
Yeah, I'm dumb and made that post without thinking it through.

Salem is able to stay competitive with characters with better neutral is because:
1.) He is a fantastic player that loves his yomi against other players. You offhandedly refer to this when you say that he did well combating Zero's style of Diddy. He exploited Zero to the fullest - not Bayo, and it takes a quick rewatch to see just how often that actually happened.
2.) Top players are inconsistent to poor at how they deal with Bayo, her options, and her abilities in neutral. They still don't S/DI her stuff consistently.

Bad positions for Bayo: stay under her, get her to the ledge, or try to force an approach. While Bayo can certainly play campy, not nearly enough players are willing to play campy against her, and she can't really keep up the keep-away game against other top tiers - provided you know her range and options. Her airspeed and overall mobility are not good, she has poor landing options, and she accumulates lag after specials forcing her into limited options.

Approach.
Bayo has a range she can be safe at, and it's generally pretty close to her. She has no real burst options if you stay in this range (depending on your character). Heel slide is at close as she gets and it's a bad idea in neutral, and given that it's frame 15, can be easily reacted to if you are cognizant of where you are. All her specials have, at the minimum 29 frames, or almost half a damn second. She should not be able to throw these things out. She has to short hop for everything else, or rely on Dtilt. She can't pressure shield well.

Ultimately, Bayo doesn't have the options other top tier characters do in neutral. She doesn't have a Shadow ball or banana. It's not that Bayo has a bad approach, it's that her approach is relatively bad, and has gaps that can be exploited.

The best.
Until I see top players consistently dealing with even with the basics of her tools, her crown to the thrown is suspect. And don't get me wrong, Bayo is incredibly good, top 5 for me, maybe top 3, so I'm not a total Bayo pessimist.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
One fatal mistake a lot of players on any level make is that the ability to SDI will always be enough to save them from Bayo combos. Earlier today, on twitter, I saw a clip of NAKAT vs Lima where NAKAT SDied up and Lima followed it and killed him, and people got upset since "NAKAT SDIed so Lima shouldn't have been able to continue his combo but he did". SDI, just like regular DI off of, say, a ZSS Dthrow, can be read and followed, and it's up to the player in disadvantage to change their habits and not do the same thing every time, which I see a lot with SDI vs Bayo.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
That's because the people that think that also think the "S" in "SDI" stands for "Super."

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
We all talk about needing to SDI combos, mostly Bayo combos of course. Obviously some are better than others at it. I personally somewhat struggle to SDI efficiently with my left hand, specifically SDI'ing downwards. I end up moving my controller into an awkward position that allows me to SDI with my right hand, but of course it's rather cumbersome in the middle of a match. Also it puts me in some bad situations since I don't have my controller ready for the followup situation.

Anyways, does anybody else struggle with SDI, or have any interesting methods , just curious.

At the end of the day, Mewtwo's kit is just too good to see anything below bottom of the to tier(Where he should be, ZSS is for sure passing him next list). Best reflector, Sheik dash speed, one of the best sets of throws in the game (you got f throw for damage, b throw for kills/positioning, u throw self explanatory kill power, d throw sucks), one of the best and most versatile projectiles, a F1 airdodge + teleport to help with disadvantage (more than you can say for other big bodies), best recovery in top tier minus Bayo and maybe Sheik, kill power, and one heck of a good ground option (d tilt).

Results are still decent, weight is there but we all know about that it sucks especially during rage. Could have some faster frame moves too,if he gets locked in to a combo he has no breaker. One string or mistimed air dodge can lead to his death.

Mewtwo has an answer for everything basically. Range, projectile, mobility, defense...he suffers from nerves at top level play which I'm sure all top players have inside. Cause you can't make any mistakes with him or you die. Everyone else can afford to make a couple and still live.

Who's kit in B tier has all of these positives like Mewtwo? Closest i could think of is like...Pikachu, who still has no range.
I don't think M2s down throw sucks, care to elaborate ?

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
hold your left hand steady and point the stick in whatever direction you need to for SDI
rapidly shake your right hand left+right or back+forth depending on the direction
tada! sdi without needing to move your left thumb

NairWizard

Somewhere
In a world without any DLC characters at all, Fox would be far and away the clear #1 in the game, sporting only a bad matchup against Sheik and a moderately difficult one with Rosalina.

(if you tell me that Fox loses to Luigi or Kirby I swear I will f-air footstool you into oblivion)

Last edited:

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
hold your left hand steady and point the stick in whatever direction you need to for SDI
rapidly shake your right hand left+right or back+forth depending on the direction
tada! sdi without needing to move your left thumb
I really appreciate this, thank you

Minordeth

Smash Ace
In a world without any DLC characters at all, Fox would be far and away the clear #1 in the game, sporting only a bad matchup against Sheik and a moderately difficult one with Rosalina.

(if you tell me that Fox loses to Luigi or Kirby I swear I will f-air footstool you into oblivion)
Honestly, I was going to be like,"Nah, fam, it would be still be Diddy," but then I got to thinking about burst options and advantage pressing becoming so important, and I can kinda see it.

I mean, real talk, Larry straight bodied both Zero and Salem starting out. And then proceeded to play like Fox is honest.

blackghost

Smash Champion
One fatal mistake a lot of players on any level make is that the ability to SDI will always be enough to save them from Bayo combos. Earlier today, on twitter, I saw a clip of NAKAT vs Lima where NAKAT SDied up and Lima followed it and killed him, and people got upset since "NAKAT SDIed so Lima shouldn't have been able to continue his combo but he did". SDI, just like regular DI off of, say, a ZSS Dthrow, can be read and followed, and it's up to the player in disadvantage to change their habits and not do the same thing every time, which I see a lot with SDI vs Bayo.
No one outside of floaties should be sdi bayo upwards. That's the directions she wants you to go. Why assist her?
But there are other characters and situations people don't deal with correctly. For example fox fast fall fair is very possible to live you need to get hit with the last kick.
As a community we have always called our characters for being strong on offense it's time to start calling out players for not di or sdi well or correctly.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace

Interesting you should mention. I heard that there is supposed to be a non-dlc tournament in Chicago soon. I wonder if it will get big enough to attract a talent pool worth looking at. I don't see how that role wouldn't belong to Diddy or Shiek though.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Fox is an amazing character, and probably not only the most underrated top tier, but also probably the one that's been talked about the least here. His burst game and advantage state are amazing, but as it has been said, he is lacking in recovery (or at elast when compared to other top tiers), lasers aren't that good compared to shadow ball/fireballs/needles/etc., and he doesn't really have a good get out of danger option like zss and sheik do.
It's probably accurate to say he's a better luigi, with hot and cold. Fox is probably my favorite top tier to watch (aside from Cloud), but while he is not the hardest character to play overall, I would have to say he's one of the harder characters to play on a pitch-perfect, frame-perfect level, as Kofu said.

Regardless, Fox is still a very, VERY good character, and does very well. Larry got to GFs of Greninja Saga, almost 3-0'ed ZeRo this past weekend, gave Salem a bit of a run for his money, and CDK took ZeRo to game 5 at arms saga and then beat ZeRo's secondaries at the next MSM.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542

I'm not sure if he'd be a clear #1 but he'd have a good shot at it.

Honestly, I was going to be like,"Nah, fam, it would be still be Diddy," but then I got to thinking about burst options and advantage pressing becoming so important, and I can kinda see it.

I mean, real talk, Larry straight bodied both Zero and Salem starting out. And then proceeded to play like Fox is honest.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I don't see how that role wouldn't belong to Diddy or Shiek though.
Sheik and Diddy do just fine vs. DLC characters. In fact, Diddy probably gets a little boost overall because of how well he does against most of the DLC.

Their harder matchups are characters in the standard roster like Rosalina, Sonic, and Mario.

Fox's hardest matchups minus Sheik are all DLC: Bayonetta, Cloud (which definitely looks increasingly bad for Fox, yes) and Ryu

Taking away DLC gives Fox an enormous boost while making Diddy and Sheik slightly worse relatively, so I'd argue that Fox > them easily

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Interesting you should mention. I heard that there is supposed to be a non-dlc tournament in Chicago soon. I wonder if it will get big enough to attract a talent pool worth looking at. I don't see how that role wouldn't belong to Diddy or Shiek though.
That is correct. It's called Alternate End and is happening on the 29th.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
No one outside of floaties should be sdi bayo upwards. That's the directions she wants you to go. Why assist her?
But there are other characters and situations people don't deal with correctly. For example fox fast fall fair is very possible to live you need to get hit with the last kick.
As a community we have always called our characters for being strong on offense it's time to start calling out players for not di or sdi well or correctly.
Even floaties don't want to SDI up unless Witch Twist starts low.

And can't you SDI up to live fair footstool?

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Things that are busted about Fox:

Every single normal of his can lead into some true combo at some point. Even the sour spots or last hits on some of his normals can murder you. His footstool set ups and jab/kick locks aren't too technically difficult. He has multiple ways to confirm into kills and his mobility is stupid good.

Because of all his tools, I feel he still has quite a bit of room to grow.

For god's sake, I didn't even know about the run-pivot-ftilt business until Larry trotted that out. Go figure it can also true combo utilt-fair or whatever else you want. Gross.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
A long while ago, I wrote something like, Mewtwo's biggest weakness is the psychological damage it can inflict on its own players. Kind of like how Sheik players get worn down by having to win neutral over and over as they progress deeper into a bracket, Mewtwo players have to contend with how frail their character is in high-stakes, high-pressure situations. It can cause players to crack and panic. Many times, you can literally see Abadango getting flustered, and playing Mewtwo without a calm mind (no pun intended) is a recipe for disaster.

It's sort of like if they turned ZSS's grab into a character.

Watching Mewtwo vs. Diddy, it's frequently a battle of inches, as the two slowly wear each other down. Diddy's better frame data, amazing fair, and the fact that the Diddy meta is led by the world's best player nudges the damage output slightly in Diddy's favor.

Re: Bayonetta

Irony of Fatality losing to a Bayo aside, his recent video from before EVO is a fascinating exercise in seeing the kinds of solutions people want or expect out of an anti-Bayo guide. A lot of the responses I saw took issue with the fact that Bayo always has a way out, or a right choice to make, and that she can be heavily rewarded for this. Fatality says you can reduce Bayo's options so you don't have to deal with EVERYTHING she can do, similar to how on a multiple choice test it's recommended that you immediately cut out the answers you know are ridiculous to increase your chances of guessing right. But that's not what people want. They want concrete answers, not probability adjustments. They want to know how to defeat and defang Bayonetta, when the reality is that all players can do is try to narrow down which teeth Bayo is going to be using.

Right above, Laken64 Laken64 said Bayonetta's air dodge might be the best in the game, when it has very serious and intentional flaws built into it. To be fair, they were saying it as a possible contender for Mewtwo's, whose air dodge is widely touted as being amazing, but it's clear where the notion comes from. Bayonetta's air dodge has Bat Within, turning it into a pseudo-frame 1-invincible move--a trait that sees Bayonetta frequently escape frame traps and hoo hahs to the frustration of her opponents. But the "trick" to beating Bayo air dodge is the simplest of all: wait it out. Bayonetta quite literally has the worst air dodge recovery in the ENTIRE GAME, meaning it's mostly easily reacted to on sight, unlike Mewtwo's disappearing/reappearing shenanigans and extremely low vulnerability window.

Bayonetta can simply NOT air dodge and then hit you with something fierce, so it's not foolproof, but that's the point I'm trying to make. Bayo forces opponents to have to make hard decisions and remain unpredictable. Even ZeRo, the #1 player, can fall victim to this. But that's not necessarily bad design, or bad for competition. It's just, rather than trying to deal in absolutes of winning and losing, players might just have to take the same approach that competitive Poker or Magic: The Gathering players do, and try to view long-term trends in how they do against Bayo, instead of being blinded by the ceiling combos.

EDIT: One other thing. I think players don't do a good enough job keeping track of Bayo's Witch Time uses. A lot of times, I see Bayos throw out two missed Witch TImes very close to each other, which basically neuters the move for a short period of time. And yet players do not try to close in on her. Yes, I know Witch Twist still exists, but despite the very thing that keeps you from pressing buttons is temporarily useless, players still decide to hang back and not approach her.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Off the topic, but does it seem like more players cultivating one of the two grapplers for counterpicks? Other than the obvious kill combos, what makes them attractive as supplementary characters. Is this sustainable or are Bowser Kongs just a flash in the pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom