• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Be it due to Bowser getting better or Donkey Kong getting figured out. Bowser will be the best Super Heavy. With Charizard sneaking into second.
Aside from having a better OoS game and Fire Breath I don't see what's going to make Bowser substantially better than DK in the long run.

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
Be it due to Bowser getting better or Donkey Kong getting figured out. Bowser will be the best Super Heavy. With Charizard sneaking into second.
DK is absolutely not worse than zard, worse than bowser is at least a weak case.
Zard has zero kill confirms and less damage per opening than DK. That alone puts DK in front of zard.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yes, I don't get it, either. In fact:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Sorry but Ryuga here has a point.
MU charts really are looking more like they're just following trends to fit in with the rest than being an intricate analysis of how a character does against everyone else in the cast.
If you actually stop and study the game for a second, you might find out lower tiered character don't automatically lose matchups you think they do because just because they're low tier, you might indeed find out Lucina's MUs aren't Marth's -1, or that Roy's are Marth's -2, or Doc's are Mario's -3, or "when in doubt, the matchup is even" isn't really how this stuff works, or you might even find out making MU charts isn't something you puke out in a second with information you pull out of your arse.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Void's MU chart is the best because he only talks about characters he knows.

Aside from having a better OoS game and Fire Breath I don't see what's going to make Bowser substantially better than DK in the long run.
I mean better OoS game and Fire breath do give Bowser a more threatening neutral off of more options. Aerial grab means he has a better time landing (Free DashClaw 2016) though it's nothing great. There's just a wider range of areas that Bowser can grow. I'm not masterful of either character mind you. It's just my external opinion.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
T thinks Sheik is only a -1 for Link?! Well that's a surprise.

I wonder why Bowser, Mario, Ness, and Lucas are -2.
My guess is reflectors and projectile absorvers. They can really screw him up and force him to approach them. Atleast against Mario, if he can't use his projectiles on him, what ends up happening is that he will have to approach, and since his frame data doesn't keep up with Mario's and he gets comboed easily by him, it can be troublesome.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
View attachment 116921
Lordmix posted a matchup chart too.
Not sure how serious he is about all these matchups, but regardless I tried to ask why he thinks bowser "*****" pacman.

Didn't exactly get the most explanatory answer...
View attachment 116922
Some of these Match-up Charts lately have been Awful. Like, if you don't know a Low tier Match-up because you haven't played that character at top level, don't just "lol Pacman is trash Bowser vs Pac is +34 in Bowsers Favor lol". If you haven't played vs the Character at High level, either say "Not enough info" or don't make a Chart at all.

Void's is the best I've seen because of this.

Last edited:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
DK is absolutely not worse than zard, worse than bowser is at least a weak case.
Zard has zero kill confirms and less damage per opening than DK. That alone puts DK in front of zard.
So having a kill confirm makes up for his easy to edgeguard recovery, mediocre ground speed, meh edgeguarding, lack of neutral options, and one of the worst disadvantages in the game? No. It doesn't. It just makes him usable

Rizen

Smash Legend
The variation in MU charts and tier lists shows how balanced SSB4 is. How good or bad a MU is is largely based on personal experiences even at high levels. Does Japan have any good Sheiks?

T's Link MU chart is very different from western Links', who generally agree Sheik and Fox are Link's worst MUs. T's and Cat's MU charts for reference:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrM0MmTVMAEYE7d.jpg
http://puu.sh/poNYW/d118c45a39.jpg

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Some of these Match-up Charts lately have been Awful. Like, if you don't know a Low tier Match-up because you haven't played that character at top level, don't just "lol Pacman is trash Bowser vs Pac is +34 in Bowsers Favor lol". If you haven't played vs the Character at High level, either say "Not enough info" or don't make a Chart at all.

Void's is the best I've seen because of this.
I said this earlier today:
It's far less shameful to just admit you don't know how the matchup is than it is to just make wild guesses and make your tier list look unprofessional and shoddily put together.
Sums up nearly every single one of the ones I see.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
So having a kill confirm makes up for his easy to edgeguard recovery, mediocre ground speed, meh edgeguarding, lack of neutral options, and one of the worst disadvantages in the game? No. It doesn't. It just makes him usable
Donkey Kong's ground speed is not mediocre. He runs faster than Mario and he's the 22th fastest character in the game slightly below Toon Link.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hi guys.

We've devolved our average post quality quite a bit lately and we should step it up; please, this isn't a social thread.

I'd like to see less of people posting for the sake of posting, posts which relay little to no information that can be discussed, low level observations (pretty close to posting for the sake of posting) or are apart of a consistent trend of thinly veiled pseudo-political agenda (negative and/or antagonistic 'meta' [not game]) rants given at any opportunity.

Huzzah~

First weekend of Autumn (Spring); Summer of Smash is deeeead, wondering whether we should continue the weekly tournament discussion threads [perhaps even fortnightly / monthly running ones, 'Off Season'?] or welcome the return of distracting one liners from live tournament results (hint: more burning things with fire).
I suppose I'm mostly pedantic about title; SoS has it's near perfect roll-off-the-tongue stature. Is (large) tournament frequency dying down enough to consider calling it an off-season? Are events spiking up again in Winter to justify a 'Winter of Smash'? lol.
You could probably wall message me thoughts/suggestions on this (at least if you wish to comment on it after the initial responses to it).

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Hi guys.

We've devolved our average post quality quite a bit lately and we should step it up; please, this isn't a social thread.

I'd like to see less of people posting for the sake of posting, posts which relay little to no information that can be discussed, low level observations (pretty close to posting for the sake of posting) or are apart of a consistent trend of thinly veiled pseudo-political agenda (negative and/or antagonistic 'meta' [not game]) rants given at any opportunity.

Huzzah~

First weekend of Autumn (Spring); Summer of Smash is deeeead, wondering whether we should continue the weekly tournament discussion threads [perhaps even fortnightly / monthly running ones, 'Off Season'?] or welcome the return of distracting one liners from live tournament results (hint: more burning things with fire).
I suppose I'm mostly pedantic about title; SoS has it's near perfect roll-off-the-tongue stature. Is (large) tournament frequency dying down enough to consider calling it an off-season? Are events spiking up again in Winter to justify a 'Winter of Smash'? lol.
You could probably wall message me thoughts/suggestions on this (at least if you wish to comment on it after the initial responses to it).
Care to show a few examples of really good/decent posts for the past page or two? Would always love to improve my post quality.

EDIT: Which Sheik would you guys be more interested in me giving a breakdown of? ZeRo, Mr. R or VoiD?
Their best matchups, weaknesses, strengths, how they could improve, what others could take from them, etc.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I mean better OoS game and Fire breath do give Bowser a more threatening neutral off of more options. Aerial grab means he has a better time landing (Free DashClaw 2016) though it's nothing great. There's just a wider range of areas that Bowser can grow. I'm not masterful of either character mind you. It's just my external opinion.
I'm not trying to downplay Whirling Fortress and Fire Breath (they're great moves). But Bowser lacks a poke akin to DK's DTilt (jab is pretty close though).

Maybe it's because I play a character who has to walk on pins and needles fighting both characters but I find DK's slightly better frame data and better airspeed to be fairly intimidating. The airspeed disparity is something that tends to be overlooked IMO (DK's airspeed is comparable to Mario's) and he generally seems better at following up on his hits than Bowser.

I could see Bowser being better in the long run but DK's ability to string hits together feels like it would he ultimately more effective.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Several of the expansive Little Mac posts 3 or so pages ago were quite good, Ulevo's being a solid example.
Most of the MU chart tangents have been complaining, "oh wow, look" or conjecture justifications.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
EDIT: Which Sheik would you guys be more interested in me giving a breakdown of? ZeRo, Mr. R or VoiD?
Their best matchups, weaknesses, strengths, how they could improve, what others could take from them, etc.
Really... I'd say Zero's is better to talk about.
We haven't even seen much of it post-patch, right?

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
1) I've always been of the opinion that, for the same reason you wouldn't say your character wins +2 against a Cloud/Sheik because you body low/mid level players, you shouldn't do the same for low tier characters when you make match up charts. If you think the match up is that easy, chances are you're not fighting someone who has a true grasp at their character. or they don't know the match up. This is of course rendered invalid if the player is among the top of their character, then maybe you do win, but I've been really disappointed in how narrow minded a lot of the MU charts are.

2) For the question about the Sheik, any would be a delight, but I would be interested in seeing discussion about ZeRo's as I feel like his amazing grasp of the neutral can be something a lot of us, especially Sheik players, can learn by studying. From what I've seen from the 3 Sheiks, ZeRo commits the least, which makes up for his lack of Sheik tech skill.

Also, one thing I've been curious about. Is there any player that, instead of playing their character, plays anti-opponent? Stuff like being perfectly spaced from the opponent's moves (which is something everyone should do), using the best tools in the character's kit for that match up, and the like. It's a bit hard to explain, but what I'm getting at is: is there someone who doesn't do bread and butter things for their character in the match up and instead values "defensive invalidation", if you will. For example, when I play the ZSS match up with Sheik, I try to keep a solid distance from her at all times to invalidate the dash grab option, as Sheik's crouch can duck under the grab and keep her neutral B at bay, thus allowing me to punish my opponent's impatience or force them to play differently (and not to their huge positives of the character). I do the same against Mario too, powershielding/FTilting fireballs and being as far away from the grab as possible, because I know he wants it. Because of this, I've been told that I have a different, quirky playstyle as Sheik by my peers, as I'm not always looking for combos and instead, I punish what is given to me.

Off the top of my head, I think Dabuz could be one, as defensive playstyles go hand in hand with this type of play. Thoughts?

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
1) I've always been of the opinion that, for the same reason you wouldn't say your character wins +2 against a Cloud/Sheik because you body low/mid level players, you shouldn't do the same for low tier characters when you make match up charts. If you think the match up is that easy, chances are you're not fighting someone who has a true grasp at their character. or they don't know the match up. This is of course rendered invalid if the player is among the top of their character, then maybe you do win, but I've been really disappointed in how narrow minded a lot of the MU charts are.
Even some of the top players' MU charts have been looking iffy to most, though. A lot are trying to judge matchups they simply don't really know about, which causes some placements to be odd.
Also, one thing I've been curious about. Is there any player that, instead of playing their character, plays anti-opponent? Stuff like being perfectly spaced from the opponent's moves (which is something everyone should do), using the best tools in the character's kit for that match up, and the like. It's a bit hard to explain, but what I'm getting at is: is there someone who doesn't do bread and butter things for their character in the match up and instead values "defensive invalidation", if you will. For example, when I play the ZSS match up with Sheik, I try to keep a solid distance from her at all times to invalidate the dash grab option, as Sheik's crouch can duck under the grab and keep her neutral B at bay, thus allowing me to punish my opponent's impatience or force them to play differently (and not to their huge positives of the character). I do the same against Mario too, powershielding/FTilting fireballs and being as far away from the grab as possible, because I know he wants it. Because of this, I've been told that I have a different, quirky playstyle as Sheik by my peers, as I'm not always looking for combos and instead, I punish what is given to me.
So, someone a bit like a Smash 4 Borp?
That'd be interesting to see, but no, I don't think I've seen anyone like that myself just yet.
I actually have to wonder how one would train to be that kind of player?

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Dabuz is the best example of it, imo.
I would say VoiD is getting up there as well. Take note that almost no player in the top 5(PG stats) is a culprit of this, but when you go down lower you'll notice multiple players that would prefer to be "them." A STARTLING amount of top players that decide to try and play "their game" without ever changing anything midset instead of, yknow. Adapting.

Culprits include:
Larry, Mr. R, 9B, Ally, etc.
While the people that are the absolute best at using their character's toolkits to play around the opponent are:
Dabuz, Ranai, ZeRo, etc.
This stubbornness tends to cause these "upsets" people love to talk so much about. Ally, for example, gets tilted immediately and refuses to stop running in if he's getting camped/outspaced/can't grab. Hence his horrible record against Peach and Sonic since forever ago.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Dabuz is the best example of it, imo.
I would say VoiD is getting up there as well. Take note that almost no player in the top 5(PG stats) is a culprit of this, but when you go down lower you'll notice multiple players that would prefer to be "them." A STARTLING amount of top players that decide to try and play "their game" without ever changing anything midset instead of, yknow. Adapting. Could

Culprits include:
Larry, Mr. R, 9B, Ally, etc.
While the people that are the absolute best at using their character's toolkits to play around the opponent are:
Dabuz, Ranai, ZeRo, etc.
This stubbornness tends to cause these "upsets" people love to talk so much about. Ally, for example, gets tilted immediately and refuses to stop running in if he's getting camped/outspaced/can't grab. Hence his horrible record against Peach and Sonic since forever ago.
you should add Aba to that culprits list.

For the love of god he doesn't know how to fight Diddy, nor does he get much better at the match up.

:150:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
So, someone a bit like a Smash 4 Borp?
That'd be interesting to see, but no, I don't think I've seen anyone like that myself just yet.
I actually have to wonder how one would train to be that kind of player?
Labbing, adaptability, and a lot of patience, I think. The playstyle alone dictates a defensive mentality and I could only assume that it would be frowned upon as "campy". A player like this would bait & punish and not really go in, unless of course it's against a match up where the opponent can't handle rush down, in which the player would do their best to do just that.

It's about knowing what your opponent wants to do and doing all you can do to prevent it (or use it to your advantage). For example, as a Duck Hunt player myself, I know that the Can is a huge part of the dog's playstyle. There a couple other Duck Hunt players in my region and I have always won the match up against them because I know that the Can, if hit, can't move by pressing B for a while. So when I fight them as Sheik, I always have a mental note to throw a single needle at the Can to stunt their pressure. It's also tiny, easy stuff like knowing to stop your combos short so you won't take damage from a combobreaker for being reckless, like Luigi's NAir or Little Mac's Up B, so you can punish those options when they do happen. Restraining your game plan to seek out the flaws of your opponent's, basically.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
People in Smash tend to more force their will over their opponent more than play against them. Larry's a good example of this, as he as stated earlier barely plays match ups. He's all about using his own strengths as opposed to the opponents weakness. Ally seems to do the same going by
@Hippieslayer 's analysis on his play. SGK does the same, I think she stated in her interview.

I suppose you can do things to get all up in the opponents head but that'd be something more done over the course of a set of multiple sets, a la ZeRo vs Nairo at LTC4. Smash sets are too short (due to the smash aesthetic, or the aforementioned "will forcing") to learn so much about your opponent, small habits yeah. But learning an opponent's movement patterns is a lot harder because it's a free movement game. Mix up is always there potentially, especially for top level play where the characters generally used have more options.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
I'm not sure if Ally and ZeRo really did play like this, but I remember hearing a commentator saying in their 2016 Smash Con set that Ally uses FLUDD to ruin ZeRo's stage control whenever he plucks a banana, and in turn, ZeRo wasn't plucking bananas as much in that set because of that.

Stuff like that really interests me and I love hearing them.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Oh you mean using your tools in interesting ways to limit and control your opponent or to keep them from using certain options?

COUNTER PLAY!!?!?!?!?!?

But good **** to Ally for showing how a tool is more then just damage it does or doesn't do. Space control and option negation are huge factors when looking at any MU.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I've been wondering something over the past couple of days: Are Mii Fighters just inherently bad?

This isn't a Miigality discussion, but the idea of allowing them diverse movesets sort of plays into what I'm thinking.

Take Mii Brawler. With a 1111 moveset, he's often touted as being among the worst in the game. Bottom 5, Bottom 10. It's because his 1111 moves lack synergy, and some are just far less than ideal. We're told that full access to specials will unlock Mii Brawler's hidden potential, with the most common moveset being 1122: Shot Put, Onslaught, Helicopter Kick, and Flip Jump.

But wait. None of this changes Brawler's normals. They have the same frame data, damage, etc. Not only that, but two of the special moves are exactly the same. Shot Put is a decent enough projectile (and hits hard a 15%), and Onslaught, while flawed in a lot of ways, has some use as a reactive punish option. The issue then becomes Head-On Assault (Down B) and Soaring Axe Kick (Up B). How is it that just having two moves be different transforms Brawler from Trash to Treasure?

I understand how bad those moves are, though Head-On Assault might have some use as a quick damage tool (comes out Frame 8, has decent range, does 20%), and that without Helicopter Kick/Piston Punch and Flip Jump that Brawler's recovery and ability to kill become way worse. However, it feels odd to me that Brawler's viability (which I'm defining here has mid-tier or higher, even if I don't necessarily agree with that) hinges entirely on just two special moves. So much seems to ride on being able to take people out at an early percent.

If Ryu lost Shoryuken and one other move, and had them replaced with bad moves, he'd be a way worse character. However, I don't see him dropping down to bottom tier just based on that.

Palutena generally has bad special moves, and suffers a similar fate to the 1111 Miis, but players of the character have managed to push her into mid tier. It's kind of different because Palutena has a lot of kill power (up air whoa), and certain quicks of her normals that allow her to out-muscle opponents, but having one of the worst Counters in the game, and a really limited move in Auto-Reticle, AND a reflector whcih is only useful sometimes (Teleport is nice) doesn't make her fall into the deepest chasms of the character rankings either.

I won't go into further details, but Swordfighter and Gunner seem to be surrounded by the same conversations.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I've been wondering something over the past couple of days: Are Mii Fighters just inherently bad?

This isn't a Miigality discussion, but the idea of allowing them diverse movesets sort of plays into what I'm thinking.

Take Mii Brawler. With a 1111 moveset, he's often touted as being among the worst in the game. Bottom 5, Bottom 10. It's because his 1111 moves lack synergy, and some are just far less than ideal. We're told that full access to specials will unlock Mii Brawler's hidden potential, with the most common moveset being 1122: Shot Put, Onslaught, Helicopter Kick, and Flip Jump.

But wait. None of this changes Brawler's normals. They have the same frame data, damage, etc. Not only that, but two of the special moves are exactly the same. Shot Put is a decent enough projectile (and hits hard a 15%), and Onslaught, while flawed in a lot of ways, has some use as a reactive punish option. The issue then becomes Head-On Assault (Down B) and Soaring Axe Kick (Up B). How is it that just having two moves be different transforms Brawler from Trash to Treasure?

I understand how bad those moves are, though Head-On Assault might have some use as a quick damage tool (comes out Frame 8, has decent range, does 20%), and that without Helicopter Kick/Piston Punch and Flip Jump that Brawler's recovery and ability to kill become way worse. However, it feels odd to me that Brawler's viability (which I'm defining here has mid-tier or higher, even if I don't necessarily agree with that) hinges entirely on just two special moves. So much seems to ride on being able to take people out at an early percent.

If Ryu lost Shoryuken and one other move, and had them replaced with bad moves, he'd be a way worse character. However, I don't see him dropping down to bottom tier just based on that.

Palutena generally has bad special moves, and suffers a similar fate to the 1111 Miis, but players of the character have managed to push her into mid tier. It's kind of different because Palutena has a lot of kill power (up air whoa), and certain quicks of her normals that allow her to out-muscle opponents, but having one of the worst Counters in the game, and a really limited move in Auto-Reticle, AND a reflector whcih is only useful sometimes (Teleport is nice) doesn't make her fall into the deepest chasms of the character rankings either.

I won't go into further details, but Swordfighter and Gunner seem to be surrounded by the same conversations.
The thing you're missing here is that the Flip Jump -> Helicopter Kick combo is really goddamn strong. Helicopter Kick can be a retardedly strong kill move, and the fact that Flip Jump not only gives Brawler a ton of mobility but also has the potential to set up Helicopter Kick combos means two moves will absolutely make or break the character.

And...frankly, basically every low/bottom tier character could be substantially improved by substituting one or two of their B moves with something that isn't the equivalent of Sakurai mocking you for playing the character (Looking at you, Warlock Punch).

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The thing you're missing here is that the Flip Jump -> Helicopter Kick combo is really goddamn strong. Helicopter Kick can be a retardedly strong kill move, and the fact that Flip Jump not only gives Brawler a ton of mobility but also has the potential to set up Helicopter Kick combos means two moves will absolutely make or break the character.

And...frankly, basically every low/bottom tier character could be substantially improved by substituting one or two of their B moves with something that isn't the equivalent of Sakurai mocking you for playing the character (Looking at you, Warlock Punch).
I understand that one or two really good moves can change the entire complexion of a character, especially if those moves work well together. The thing I find odd is that while you'll sometimes see a Ganondorf player be like, "I know I have Warlock Punch, which only works with the hardest of reads, but I think Ganondorf is a bit underrated." Even ZeRo, who placed Ganon in his Bottom 5, mentions him being underrated and having tools that work. Players like Opana, Ray Kalm, Vermanubis, Ganon the Beast, Pon, etc. all put in effort as well.

When Mii Brawlers talk about 1111 Brawler, he ends up sounding like some kind of maimed cripple who can't even feed himself. I've never seen a Mii Brawler talk about 1111 Brawler in terms of what their character can do, only in terms of what they can't do.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong's ground speed is not mediocre. He runs faster than Mario and he's the 22th fastest character in the game slightly below Toon Link.
Maybe mediocre wasn't the correct term, I guess not-top-15 run speed? He has a fast walk but in comparison to Charizard and Bowser he is still slow. Charizard's ground speed is pretty top tierish though being the 9th fastest.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I understand that one or two really good moves can change the entire complexion of a character, especially if those moves work well together. The thing I find odd is that while you'll sometimes see a Ganondorf player be like, "I know I have Warlock Punch, which only works with the hardest of reads, but I think Ganondorf is a bit underrated." Even ZeRo, who placed Ganon in his Bottom 5, mentions him being underrated and having tools that work. Players like Opana, Ray Kalm, Vermanubis, Ganon the Beast, Pon, etc. all put in effort as well.

When Mii Brawlers talk about 1111 Brawler, he ends up sounding like some kind of maimed cripple who can't even feed himself. I've never seen a Mii Brawler talk about 1111 Brawler in terms of what their character can do, only in terms of what they can't do.
Well, consider it this way.

If you knew that you had the option to play a Ganondorf that had a chargeable projectile for a Neutral B and an UpB that was actually useful (as opposed to being Captain Falcon's but worse in every possible way) would you be able to look at default Ganondorf and give him any serious consideration?

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Well @Lavani had that link to a gif that showed Rosa being able to avoid the 2 vulnerable frames, and hers is not a teleport recovery, so I'm assuming most if not all characters can do this.

But regarding this thing in general, would I be right in describing it as avoiding the 2 vulnerable frames simply by sweetspotting the ledge "better"? If so, this could still be pretty significant for many characters (and not just Sheik) as it would eliminate a notable aspect of edge-guarding that's been around for going on a couple years, making recoveries even stronger. But I think I'd rather wait for more info just in case.
Do you have a link to that Gif?

I'm very interested in how Rosalina can avoid the 2 frame as her up B doesn't have any invincibility unlike Sheik so extending it for longer somehow shouldn't make a difference.

I mean this would remove Rosa's arguably biggest weakness (having a very reactable recovery making it easy picking for 2 frames). Granted you could still go hard offstage and try to interrupt it before it reaches the ledge but that would require a much bigger commitment and wouldn't be very reliable (if they simply react or predict you going offstage they could do an early up B onto the stage).

Last edited:

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000

Here's a thread of things talked over in the mii discord of what 1111 brawler can do in case you're curious.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
i have a very large writeup coming regarding results

Note; I will be running 3 iterations per year. January-April, May-August, and September-December. This more or less better reflects the "seasons" the game goes through, as things die down pretty quickly after August outside of a brief bump with TBH, with the comp year starting big in January.

I'll be finalizing the result numbers and write up an analysis since there's far more too a lot of these than the pure numbers. Today will mark the start of a new iteration.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I still find DK to be better than bowser. Dk's cargo throw has more reward for damage and KO potential than bowsers grab game of up throw combos and kupa claw kills. Dk can grab more reliably since he can confirm his grabs off of down tilt or jab as well. Dk can use his super armored up special to get out of combos that bowser has to sit in because bowsers fastest aerial is frame 8. Dk can also edgeguard better with Bairs and up special. Bowsers slightly less reach and slower frame data piled on top gives little reason to choose the big turtle.

Over all it just seems like the Ding-Dong combo is just so much better at mitigating DK's bad MUs and bowser just doesn't have anything he can abuse and lean on that hard in bad MU's.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
https://www.twitch.tv/singing_tamago This has been going on tonight and it some top level players like

Abadango :4mewtwo::4metaknight:
Kameme:4megaman:
Umeki:4peach:
Some:4greninja:
Raito:4duckhunt:

Speaking of which, Abadango:4mewtwo:> Kameme :4megaman: 2-1 This Happened WR3 because Kameme Sandbagged and lost in pools again.

Edit: Some:4greninja:> Abadango:4mewtwo: 2-0
Big win for OSFrog

Edit2: Raito:4duckhunt:> :4cloud2:Kameme 2-1
Yes Kameme went Cloud
Kameme out in 7th

Last edited:

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Nobie Nobie , The reasons why 1111 Mii Brawler's strengths aren't discussed that much is because the character has been overrated for so long. It took over a year for people to realize that 1111 Brawler is one of the worst characters in the game even though the best Brawler player at the time was saying that 1111 Brawler was one of the worst characters in the game (Dapuffster is probably the best Brawler player, but Yikarur has been putting up the most results as of right now). Most people realized that 1111 Brawler has good mobility and combos, but they didn't realize that 1111 Brawler has poor killing ability and poor landing options. Even now, ZeRo and the Smashwiki forget that Mii Brawler has trouble taking stocks, and they overrate the character. 1111 Mii Brawler's situation is different from the other Miis because Brawler is the only Mii Fighter that gets overrated.

Only 4 moves kill at reasonable percents for 1111 Brawler, and he/she doesn't have a confirm into any of these laggy moves. While 1111 Brawler can use jab mixups and punishes on missed techs to land a killing move, the fact that Brawler has no safe way to get a kill at reasonable percents gives the character some of the worst killing options in the game. When this is combined with 1111 Brawler's poor range (Shot Put isn't that great in the neutral because it has slow startup, high endlag, and poor range for a projectile) and poor disadvantage state (1111 Brawler has poor recovery, and he/she has to rely on laggy, stall then fall moves and aerials with poor range to help the character land. The main redeeming quality of 1111 Brawler's disadvantage state is a combo breaker in nair) it makes 1111 Brawler one of the worst characters in the game. In addition, Brawler's poor aerial acceleration also hinders the character's approach.

To sum up the previous paragraph, 1111 Mii Brawler has major weaknesses in the neutral, advantage, and disadvantage states that makes the character a poor choice for competitive play. While 1111 Brawler has strengths, the character is completely invalidated in competitive play by Mario (Mario is better than 1111 Brawler in every state of the game, and Mario is easier to play. The fact that the two characters have a somewhat similar play style makes the issue worse). This is part of the reason why 1111 Brawler has virtually no tournament representation.

The addition of Helicopter Kick and Feint Jump turns the weaknesses in the advantage and disadvantage states into strengths. The confirms into Helicopter Kick give Brawler the safe killing ability that the character needs for a great advantage state. Feint Jump gives Brawler the landing option and recovery option that Brawler needs for a very good disadvantage state.

1111 Gunner isn't in the same situation because Gunner has some tournament representation and skilled mains. Recently Wii Twerk Trainer got 5th in 2GG Breakthrough using Gunner as a secondary, and PK Offbeat won a local tournament using Mii Gunner with Kirby as a secondary. Flama is ranked second in his region in Mexico, and his results have improved since he was ranked 15th in all of Mexico. ROM doesn't attend many Japanese tournaments, but he has won sets against Kirihara and Daiki (he also won against Pugwest at Genesis 3). Since Flama is planning on attending some major tournaments next year such as EVO, there is hope that 1111 Gunner can rise on the tier list in the future. While Gunner's grenade, missile, and bomb drop can improve Gunner's combo game, conditioning, and landing options, it isn't as huge of a upgrade as Brawler's moves because 1111 Gunner's specials aren't that bad.

1111 Mii Swordfighter is among the worst characters in the game because the character has poor mobility, poor recovery, and killing issues (the character lacks confirms, but he/she has more killing options than 1111 Brawler). While Swordfighter has good range (it is not good for a sword fighter), a solid projectile in Gale Strike, decent combo ability, and a dair that isn't that bad of a landing option, the character has not gotten any results in a very long time. Chakram, Hero Spin and Reversal slash can improve Swordfighter's combo game, killing ability, recovery, and anti-zoning, they aren't as game changing as Brawler's moves because they aren't as good.

I'm not sure if the miis were designed to be bad characters, but most characters would look bad if they don't get much representation or development. Considering the fact that Miis aren't allowed in for glory and most of the tournaments in the tournament mode, I am not sure that Miis were designed for competitive play. I hope that this wall of text has answered all of your questions.

Yikarur

Smash Master
1111 Brawler sucks because he doesn't have a way to get out of disadvantage, doesn't have any non-commiting kill moves and should be dead every time he is off-stage. Flip Jump and Helikopter Kick/Piston Punch fixes most of the characters problems.
1111 shouldnt be played anyway tho

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
If 1111 Brawler was designed the way he is on purpose, I'm not exactly sure what the balance team was thinking with this character. Helicopter Kick/Piston Punch and Flip Jump should have been part of it's default move set. I feel confident in saying that 1111 Brawler is probably the second worst character in the game with sword fighter being dead bottom. I really don't know what they were thinking with these characters. At least Gunner isn't terrible like the other two though. Not being allowed in online matchmaking was already a big nail in the coffin considering that's how most people play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom